IGNORED

Martin O'Neill

DaveInSA

6 minutes ago, Super said:

Watford who sack their manager every season?

That’s not the point though. They appoint managers who fit their club model. Irrespective of how often they make a change they’ve proven that the manager is just a steward of the model and philosophy they have.

Can’t say it’s not worked for them either. 

20 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

Football has evolved. And so has City.

The likes of O’Neill, McCarthy, Moyes even Warnock are still good managers but just wouldn’t fit our club the way it is run now. 

Still amazes me that many on here fail to grasp that. 

Look at the likes of Bournemouth, Watford, Brighton, Swansea etc and that’s what we’re building. And take note of how it all went wrong for Swansea when they appointed managers who didn’t fit the club.

Your a resident of Bournemouth. 

Lee Johnson plays 4-4-2

So does Eddie Howe and a 4-4-1-1. Bournemouth have a clear model of play with principles that alter little and recruitment that fits the model.

It is not clear what Mr Johnson is building.

Neil Warnock in regard to having a clear consistent game plan has more in common with Eddie Howe than Lee Johnson.  

And no I would not want to watch Mr Warnocks football but the point about fit and how BCFC is run is tenuous.

5 hours ago, Super said:

So is Roy Keane...….

3 hours ago, Fat Cigar said:

Wouldn't want that thug anywhere near our team. 

Quite right....why would we want a guy in charge who took Sunderland from relegation candidates to champions of the championship in his first ever season as a manager?! It makes me laugh how some people reject every single suggestion for manager on here with boring guff like ‘dinosaur’ - ‘journeyman manager’ - ‘cheat’ - ‘thug’ - ‘past it’ etc etc etc - most of it isn’t even true but the one thing that most suggested names have in common is that they have been successful and are winners - yet the wise sages line up to dismiss them out of hand, without suggesting any alternatives.....

41 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Quite right....why would we want a guy in charge who took Sunderland from relegation candidates to champions of the championship in his first ever season as a manager?! It makes me laugh how some people reject every single suggestion for manager on here with boring guff like ‘dinosaur’ - ‘journeyman manager’ - ‘cheat’ - ‘thug’ - ‘past it’ etc etc etc - most of it isn’t even true but the one thing that most suggested names have in common is that they have been successful and are winners - yet the wise sages line up to dismiss them out of hand, without suggesting any alternatives.....

Keane didn’t do so well at Ipswich - but then hardly anyone does............personally I wouldn’t want him at AG even if their was a vacancy. 

Every time I see him interviewed hes way too blunt and doesn’t seem to give a shit about what he says is interpreted.

Look at the stats against Denmark the other night. 24% possesion and 3 shots off target. Ireland is not bare enough to justify that against a good but not great Denmark side. I always liked the way MON speaks and he has a decent CV but think football is passing him by at the moment. It would be a no from me and I have had my fill of LJ but not in a rush to replace him with worse.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So you think RK would be a good appointment?

26 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Look at the stats against Denmark the other night. 24% possesion and 3 shots off target. Ireland is not bare enough to justify that against a good but not great Denmark side. I always liked the way MON speaks and he has a decent CV but think football is passing him by at the moment. It would be a no from me and I have had my fill of LJ but not in a rush to replace him with worse.

In fairness they don't seem to have a very good pool of players to choose from these days. No disrespect to COD but the fact he gets a regular game for them says it all.

45 minutes ago, Super said:

In fairness they don't seem to have a very good pool of players to choose from these days. No disrespect to COD but the fact he gets a regular game for them says it all.

Not world beaters but I watched NI have a go at Austria with league one players and lower champ and old guys like Gareth Macauly. Feel Ireland has better than NI 

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Your a resident of Bournemouth. 

Lee Johnson plays 4-4-2

So does Eddie Howe and a 4-4-1-1. Bournemouth have a clear model of play with principles that alter little and recruitment that fits the model.

It is not clear what Mr Johnson is building.

Neil Warnock in regard to having a clear consistent game plan has more in common with Eddie Howe than Lee Johnson.  

And no I would not want to watch Mr Warnocks football but the point about fit and how BCFC is run is tenuous.

Not sure what me living in Bournemouth has anything to do with this.

And it’s “you’re”, by the way.

7 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

Is available.

That's all.

1992; Lumsden was dismissed. Ossie Ardiles said he was interested in the job and Chairman Leslie Kew said he believed Ardiles was the ideal man for the job. Chris Nichol, a former Southampton manager then applied. Two of the directors decided not to vote for Ardiles stating that a big name did not guarantee success. Martin O’Neil and Russell Osman then applied. Due to his playing experience Osman was appointed caretaker manager and that week City picked up their first point for seven weeks with a draw against Grimsby. 

All these years later IF City had a managerial vacancy, would M O'N be interested in us?

15 minutes ago, 22A said:

1992; Lumsden was dismissed. Ossie Ardiles said he was interested in the job and Chairman Leslie Kew said he believed Ardiles was the ideal man for the job. Chris Nichol, a former Southampton manager then applied. Two of the directors decided not to vote for Ardiles stating that a big name did not guarantee success. Martin O’Neil and Russell Osman then applied. Due to his playing experience Osman was appointed caretaker manager and that week City picked up their first point for seven weeks with a draw against Grimsby.  

All these years later IF City had a managerial vacancy, would M O'N be interested in us?

And went on to pick up a point every week for almost his entire reign.  Boring as ****, almost as bad as Pulis.

16 minutes ago, 22A said:

Why not ? 

That was bloody ages ago .

It must be one of the safest jobs in football. 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Keane didn’t do so well at Ipswich - but then hardly anyone does............personally I wouldn’t want him at AG even if their was a vacancy. 

Every time I see him interviewed hes way too blunt and doesn’t seem to give a shit about what he says is interpreted.

I wasn’t necessarily saying I’d want Keane here, I was just pointing he’s won this division as a manager and he’s another on a growing list of successful, winning managers who are simply dismissed out of hand by lots on here without giving credible reasons....but on your second point, I love listening to honest, in your face, blunt managers when it comes to listening to their interviews.....too many have been media trained to trot out bland, boring, meaningless cliches which fulfils their obligations but gives the listeners nothing except a cure for insomnia....

3 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

So you think RK would be a good appointment?

Not necessarily - see my reply to Robbored immediately above this one....

4 hours ago, reformed_red said:

That’s not the point though. They appoint managers who fit their club model. Irrespective of how often they make a change they’ve proven that the manager is just a steward of the model and philosophy they have.

Can’t say it’s not worked for them either. 

Not the model here though is it. I get the impression SL thinks LJ is the only manager on the planet who can or would be willing to work within our culture/ ethos. Utter madness. 

The whole point of what we should be doing is having a BRISTOL CITY PHILOSOPHY where the manager is just the steward as you rightly say.  If he isn’t cutting it then someone else should get the chance. 

But not here. Some people think by sacking LJ we are giving up on our philosophy. Really pisses me off. There are other coaches out there that would love a shot of running our club as it currently stands.

12 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I've seen enough of this ROI team and his Sunderland team to know I wouldn't want to watch it on a more regular basis. Would you?

Why wouldn’t I want someone with his brill track record? Including leading Villa to 6th in the premier league for three consecutive seasons....he’s won loads of trophies as player and manager and he’s got teams promoted and into play offs - BUT what is even more important to me, and obviously forgotten by loads on here, is when O’Neill was manager of non-league Wycombe the gas approached him to be their manager, he turned them down saying he thought “Wycombe had more potential than Bristol Rovers..” - for that reason alone I’d roll out the red carpet for him...

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why wouldn’t I want someone with his brill track record? Including leading Villa to 6th in the premier league for three consecutive seasons....he’s won loads of trophies as player and manager and he’s got teams promoted and into play offs - BUT what is even more important to me, and obviously forgotten by loads on here, is when O’Neill was manager of non-league Wycombe the gas approached him to be their manager, he turned them down saying he thought “Wycombe had more potential than Bristol Rovers..” - for that reason alone I’d roll out the red carpet for him...

Ha, if you'd have told me this earlier then I'd have completely changed my mind on the bloke! 

2 hours ago, milo1111 said:

Not the model here though is it. I get the impression SL thinks LJ is the only manager on the planet who can or would be willing to work within our culture/ ethos. Utter madness. 

The whole point of what we should be doing is having a BRISTOL CITY PHILOSOPHY where the manager is just the steward as you rightly say.  If he isn’t cutting it then someone else should get the chance. 

But not here. Some people think by sacking LJ we are giving up on our philosophy. Really pisses me off. There are other coaches out there that would love a shot of running our club as it currently stands.

I actually agree with you about 80%.

Although I think there is more of a framework for success at the club than there has perhaps ever been. 

I’m not in the LJ is god camp and I wholly don’t believe that sacking LJ means we’re giving up on our philosophy. 

However, I do believe that appointing Martin O’Neill would be. Which is what this thread is about. 

13 hours ago, reformed_red said:

Not sure what me living in Bournemouth has anything to do with this.

And it’s “you’re”, by the way.

Well living in Bournemouth you may well have a close interest in how that club is run and plays its football . I have lived elsewhere and took an interest in the team of the Town and City I resided in.

Your or you're Bournemouth have similarities to Bristol City but is it really a true comparison to BCFC? Bristol City players are yet to have a team talk from one of the owners wives!! But the point I made was about models of play. Eddie Howe clearly has a sense of direction, his set up counter press, counter attack, transitions, manage ball in first third, look to penetrate quickly through second and thirds with through balls  ...The fundamentals do not change. 

Bristol City under Lee Johnson?

9 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Nope - I’ve only ever discussed/suggested guys with a proven, successful track record at this level...that ain’t too long a list...

So how do guys with a proven,successful track record earn said record?   :dunno: 

How long have the likes of Moyes and MM been around? 

35 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So how do guys with a proven,successful track record earn said record?   :dunno: 

How long have the likes of Moyes and MM been around? 

They get quick success - eg Jokanovic promoted two teams from the championship to the premier league within three years...

Mick was very successful very very quickly into his managerial career - look what he did at Millwall, Sunderland and Wolves...

15 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I wasn’t necessarily saying I’d want Keane here, I was just pointing he’s won this division as a manager and he’s another on a growing list of successful, winning managers who are simply dismissed out of hand by lots on here without giving credible reasons....but on your second point, I love listening to honest, in your face, blunt managers when it comes to listening to their interviews.....too many have been media trained to trot out bland, boring, meaningless cliches which fulfils their obligations but gives the listeners nothing except a cure for insomnia....

Not necessarily - see my reply to Robbored immediately above this one....

" I love listening to honest, in your face, blunt managers when it comes to listening to their interviews."

SL doesn't .

10 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Well living in Bournemouth you may well have a close interest in how that club is run and plays its football . I have lived elsewhere and took an interest in the team of the Town and City I resided in.

Your or you're Bournemouth have similarities to Bristol City but is it really a true comparison to BCFC? Bristol City players are yet to have a team talk from one of the owners wives!! But the point I made was about models of play. Eddie Howe clearly has a sense of direction, his set up counter press, counter attack, transitions, manage ball in first third, look to penetrate quickly through second and thirds with through balls  ...The fundamentals do not change. 

Bristol City under Lee Johnson?

No mate I’m a Bristol City fan, no interest in AFC Bournemouth.

The comparison between them (and a clutch of other clubs that I mentioned) was purely about the model and framework of the club, I didn’t mention playing style. 

We are clearly trying to build something, like it or not. It may work, it may not.

Martin O’Neill and the like simply do not fit that model. If LJ gets sacked / leaves I suspect we will appoint / promote internally or go for a similar type manager to LJ.

That was the point I was making.

Archived