IGNORED

Billy Monger

yardy

Billy Monger is the young racing driver lad who lost both his legs after a terrible collision during a race, i heard about this at the time and was devastated for him and his family.

I have just watched this documentary https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p06qx4gt/driven-the-billy-monger-story on him and i am absolutely blown away by this young man.

Not often i get emotional watching things on tv but i couldn't believe how brave and inspirational he is. Gonna follow his career closely now, all the very best to you young man.

I haven’t seen the documentary yet but was aware of his accident as I follow Touring cars. With him being in the Ginetta Jnrs and then F4 those races are part of the tv coverage shown. He is a great young lad and I knew he would be back racing.

These sportspeople have huge drive. There was a bit on tv last night about a local show-jumper, I think, who was paralysed and learning to ride again even though she will never walk again. Amazing. 

• Admin

I watched back the SPOTY show last night and was intrigued to catch up with this programme as remember it being mentioned on here

Have to agree what a powerful documentary it was, for a a lad of 17 to pick himself up following his accident is remarkable.

One thing, does anyone know who he was racing for at the time of his accident, or was he independant?

Thought it interesting that the team of the car he had the accident with are the one investing lots of time and money into developing him going forward

• Admin

Billy Monger has claimed his first victory since having both his legs amputated after a crash two years ago.

Monger, who is competing in Euroformula Open races, won the Pau Grand Prix.

"Can't believe it, I didn't think two years on I'd be winning races," said the 20-year-old Briton.

The Carlin driver - in a specially adapted car - dropped to last after switching to wet-weather tyres, a strategy which paid off as he surged past other drivers in France.

When Motopark duo Julian Hanses and Liam Lawson collided and took each other out, Monger - who had qualified 11th - inherited the lead and held on for victory.

I saw this too. Great news, very happy for him that he has been able to continue his driving career and has tasted success. They were raving about him on tv earlier today, it seems he leaves a lasting impression on everyone he meets with is positivity and determination. I’m sure there will be more good wins for a long time yet.

Archived