IGNORED

'Generational scandal' as number of child problem gamblers quadruples to 50,000

swampy

30 minutes ago, 29AR said:

You're right each will stimulate in very different ways, but only because one has 'prize' and one has 'reinstatement'. They are both aleatory contracts - agreements on uncertain events. Perhaps I'm too black and white... or I get my kicks from covering my liabilities through insurance payouts 

:laugh: Well exactly. You never hear of anyone becoming addicted to getting insurance quotes. But each to their own :thumbsup:

The problem with kids gambling goes MUCH deeper than this.

Do your kids play Fortnite? Do they play FUT? If so, they are (probably) gambling, because they are using real money to purchase in-game items through games of chance or random loot drops.

My girlfriend is a teacher, and she's known kids drop hundreds or thousands each year on these games, just so they can have the best players or have the highest degrees of success in a game. Some offer no benefit to gameplay, and they just look cool.

Before anyone laughs at people that spend money on virtual items, it's always been widely accepted that the brain perceives the same benefits from buying a virtual item over a physical item. It's a sad reality of being young in todays world - at least in your days you got some money from gambling...

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Can't really knock the club for this because it's fairly standard in football.

There is perhaps a wider debate to be had about football and CSR and the extent football should practice it, but knocking the club for this would be fairly pointless tbh.

Sorry but you can knock the club 

They had choice and they made an unethical decision imo

BS is so focused on money that all other considerations are set aside even ethical ones 

18 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

BS is so focused on money that all other considerations are set aside even ethical ones 

Another Ivorguy 'bash BS at every opportunity' post. 

If you're going down the ethical route then open your eyes and look at every football club in the land....ethics went out the window a long time ago. Shirt sponsorship has nowt to do with kids gambling-they're gambling away on online games. Have a pop at the gaming industry if you want to aim your arrows. 

11 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Save you money til you can buy a single stock in a publically noted company. Then buy another share. This is the way to make  a fortune. Not to gamble.

Good idea Tommy, save the money to invest in the likes of our former alcoholic drinks companies instead.

1 hour ago, Icelandic Clap said:

Another Ivorguy 'bash BS at every opportunity' post. 

If you're going down the ethical route then open your eyes and look at every football club in the land....ethics went out the window a long time ago. Shirt sponsorship has nowt to do with kids gambling-they're gambling away on online games. Have a pop at the gaming industry if you want to aim your arrows. 

Sorry but if everyone took the attitude that it is nothing to do with me, then we shall be in a dreadful moral place

Because other clubs act unethical.y doesn't stop City fans criticising our club for unethical behaviour.

Think your ethical moral compass must be on the blink

As for 'bashing BS' it is only too easy.  It is akin to taking a penalty with no goalie to beat.  BS are their own worst enemies.  It doesn't need me or anyone else to do the job, they do it only too well themselves

11 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Sorry but if everyone took the attitude that it is nothing to do with me, then we shall be in a dreadful moral place

Because other clubs act unethical.y doesn't stop City fans criticising our club for unethical behaviour.

Think your ethical moral compass must be on the blink

As for 'bashing BS' it is only too easy.  It is akin to taking a penalty with no goalie to beat.  BS are their own worst enemies.  It doesn't need me or anyone else to do the job, they do it only too well themselves

If you re-read my post I did not take the 'nothing to do with me attitude'-merely pointed out that to say ethics of City are poor is daft when there are other clubs going off the moral compass. 

I haven't seen having Dunder as a shirt sponsor unethical behaviour by the club-by that token you should've been outraged back in the day when Georges advertised their Glucose Stout on the roof of the Number 2 stand and, more recently, Blackthorn on the shirts. That could well encourage kids to be alcoholics! :laughcont:

Maybe BS are, but you spend a hell of a lot of time on here bemoaning them about anything they do, if they're making such an open net of things maybe it's time for you to take a backseat and a deep breath. It'll save your mental health in the long run...

As for my 'ethical moral compass' I'm sure such a fine bastion of morality as yourself can show me the light....?

4 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Who gives a shit about a betting company? They carve so much gold by sending young people to life time depts that they actually have to creep to the the cross and sponsor a football club. Long may you burn in hell .

Depts? Department Stores? Bus Depos?? 

20 hours ago, 29AR said:

Do you have ANY form of insurance, save arguably car insurance mandated by law? 

If your answer is yes, guess what, you’re a gambler. 

Risk/reward is a part of life. Whether that’s approaching a girl in a bar, changing job, embarking upon university and £50k of debt, picking your bank account, choosing how to invest your money (even if not consciously choosing). It’s about time the recreation of it is less stigmatised in my opinion. I also feel no distaste in ‘underage’ gambling. Yes it can be addictive, but this is capitalism and the whole way we exist is risk/reward. People need to learn what is acceptable and unacceptable risks to merely exist nowadays. That’s an absolute fact in capitalism.   

Oh please

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Let's be fair.

Modern football, a decent chunk of it anyway, is fairly amoral.

Be it ownership, various sponsorships, perhaps partnerships.

They may have made an ethically debatable decision, but it's rife in football. Can't think of a high level club that isn't.

Archived