IGNORED

Harry Rednapp

Redmycolour

7 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Making Harry Redknapp your manager is like booking an appointment with Dignitas.

It's only going to end one way.

That’s not true....he continually brought in more in transfer fees than he spent, at every club, with the exception of one of his spells at Pompey - but even then he spent just a bit more than he recouped....it’s all a myth about him ‘leaving clubs in a financial mess’ when he leaves....

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That’s not true....he continually brought in more in transfer fees than he spent, at every club, with the exception of one of his spells at Pompey - but even then he spent just a bit more than he recouped....it’s all a myth about him ‘leaving clubs in a financial mess’ when he leaves....

It wasn't the transfer fees it was the crippling wages he paid that did the damage.

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It wasn't the transfer fees it was the crippling wages he paid that did the damage.

As he said time and time again....he had no idea how much his players earned, their contracts were negotiated by the chairmen/owners at his clubs....he had no say in what they earned....do you really believe the powers that be at his various clubs would just agree to pay the players whatever Harry told them to?!

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

As he said time and time again....he had no idea how much his players earned, their contracts were negotiated by the chairmen/owners at his clubs....he had no say in what they earned....do you really believe the powers that be at his various clubs would just agree to pay the players whatever Harry told them to?!

I'm not trying to be awkward here but yes; he recommended over the hill players for top dollar wages.  He may not have signed their contracts but he pushed for them and people believe good old 'Arry.

14 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I'm not trying to be awkward here but yes; he recommended over the hill players for top dollar wages.  He may not have signed their contracts but he pushed for them and people believe good old 'Arry.

I don’t wanna be awkward either EH .... I appreciate the debate....who were the ‘over the hill’ players he recommended? 

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I don’t wanna be awkward either EH .... I appreciate the debate....who were the ‘over the hill’ players he recommended? 

There's half a dozen specifically listed in here: Samba, Camara, Boogers plus the amazing statistic that he had 134 transfers at West Ham which makes LJ's odd Engvall incident seem rather trivial.

http://backpagefootball.com/harry-houdini-leading-another-club-to-financial-ruin/55658/

4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

There's half a dozen specifically listed in here: Samba, Camara, Boogers plus the amazing statistic that he had 134 transfers at West Ham which makes LJ's odd Engvall incident seem rather trivial.

http://backpagefootball.com/harry-houdini-leading-another-club-to-financial-ruin/55658/

There are lots of stories floating around about Harry R - like the one where he refused a big pay off and a car when he left Pompey and told the owner to invest the sum into developing the youth team....but I can’t believe he dictated to owners how much to pay the players, not in the modern-ish era....that sort of thing undoubtedly went on in the era of Brian Clough etc but not now....anyway, enjoy your weekend EH...cheers 

45 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

There are lots of stories floating around about Harry R - like the one where he refused a big pay off and a car when he left Pompey and told the owner to invest the sum into developing the youth team....but I can’t believe he dictated to owners how much to pay the players, not in the modern-ish era....that sort of thing undoubtedly went on in the era of Brian Clough etc but not now....anyway, enjoy your weekend EH...cheers 

Likewise.

Hey, we may even win!

• Admin
On 23/11/2018 at 19:13, ScottishRed said:

' Broken Dreams' by Tom Boyson is a somewhat enlightening read............

And no, I have not posted on the wrong thread.

Broken Dreams by Tom Bower - I bought a copy on the strength of this and have just got round to reading it, I think we all know how rotten football is with agents, nepotism, bungs and back handers, but bloody hell, this book, whilst 16 years old now, certainly lays the greed and self serving bare.  I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who hasn’t read it, in many other walks of life, many of the major players in management, club admin and the FA / Premier League would have been facing jail sentences.

Sadly, I don’t feel much has changed, no wonder some people have lost their love of football and feel detached from what was once a real community.

4 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Broken Dreams by Tom Bower - I bought a copy on the strength of this and have just got round to reading it, I think we all know how rotten football is with agents, nepotism, bungs and back handers, but bloody hell, this book, whilst 16 years old now, certainly lays the greed and self serving bare.  I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who hasn’t read it, in many other walks of life, many of the major players in management, club admin and the FA / Premier League would have been facing jail sentences.

Sadly, I don’t feel much has changed, no wonder some people have lost their love of football and feel detached from what was once a real community.

I read it when it was first published. What Bower has to say was shocking but not surprising, so to speak.

Archived