IGNORED

In fairness to Lee...

PFree

I don't doubt you too care greatly about Bristol City and want the best for us, I am also sure you hate losing as much as we do - not sure if anybody would disagree with that statement?

That said I am sorry to say that for me you have taken our club as far as you can - recruitment, coaching, strategy, no plan B yet alone plan A, tactically naive at this level, lost dressing room, inability to attract key talent, etc., etc.

My fear is that SL will continue to back you and will throw more money after bad money as he seeks to prove he was right in keeping you.

Sadly, I am sure I speak for many City fans in that we don't see City as a play thing and if it is the case SL wants to see City in the Premier league within his lifetime, I am afraid it's time to make what I am sure is a difficult decision but one we will all respect you for - great loyalty but the time has most definitely come.

We aren't in 'trouble' yet but with the January window coming, there's plenty of time to rescue the season, our ambition and a team and club that is absolutely on the slippery slide.

4 minutes ago, PFree said:

I don't doubt you too care greatly about Bristol City and want the best for us, I am also sure you hate losing as much as we do - not sure if anybody would disagree with that statement?

That said I am sorry to say that for me you have taken our club as far as you can - recruitment, coaching, strategy, no plan B yet alone plan A, tactically naive at this level, lost dressing room, inability to attract key talent, etc., etc.

My fear is that SL will continue to back you and will throw more money after bad money as he seeks to prove he was right in keeping you.

Sadly, I am sure I speak for many City fans in that we don't see City as a play thing and if it is the case SL wants to see City in the Premier league within his lifetime, I am afraid it's time to make what I am sure is a difficult decision but one we will all respect you for - great loyalty but the time has most definitely come.

We aren't in 'trouble' yet but with the January window coming, there's plenty of time to rescue the season, our ambition and a team and club that is absolutely on the slippery slide.

I think your spot on with your comment the decision to sack Johnson needs to be made for the sake of the club

Lansdown’s problem....

Arguably the Johnson’s have been involved in 2 of the most recent success stories of our club...reaching the playoff final and beating Man Utd!! 

He had no problem getting rid of Cotterill after our biggest success in recent times ... winning the title and JPT in the same season.

so why is LJ still here .... 

No other reason apart from SL friendship with the johnson family. Risky game !!

4 minutes ago, Born and Red in 82 said:

Lansdown’s problem....

Arguably the Johnson’s have been involved in 2 of the most recent success stories of our club...reaching the playoff final and beating Man Utd!! 

He had no problem getting rid of Cotterill after our biggest success in recent times ... winning the title and JPT in the same season.

I think the simple reason was that Cotts was his own man, a little like Cloughie was with Sam Longson at Derby County

Steve Lansdown made it perfectly clear in his last interview; he expects an improvement on last season so that might mean he is satisfied with an unremarkable 12th. Personally I do not think for one moment he means that. Will he wait until the end of the season to find out? I doubt that either especially if we tail off and see no chance of a decent improvement on last season and by that i mean in or just outside of the play offs. 

In the run up to Christmas the mitigating circumstance of sacking him early will be the continuation of this loss of ground on those higher echelons; if LJ keeps us within touching distance, ie no more than 10 points his job I think will remain safe enough through March.

I maintain LJ was the wrong choice in the first place and I remain utterly uninspired. I assume the sale of our best or better players was to ensure we do not fall foul of FFP next season. If it was to balance the books it was plain daft and I am sure, by now, the reasons behind that do not need to be spelled out to anyone.

12 minutes ago, Born and Red in 82 said:

Indeed... I’m a bit confused as to what our owners plan is to be honest, but if our bad run continues I guess it will become clear 

Yes, quite... I actually saw 'my light bulb moment' a long time ago ( around January 2008). Under SL our frustrations regarding where we end up will always be a continual theme... he is happy to appoint or stick with the guy who plays the game of keeping City just ticking over...be that in the championship or, in League one, he aint' really that bothered.  

28 minutes ago, Born and Red in 82 said:

Lansdown’s problem....

Lansdown is an experienced and successful businessesman who has built up his empire over the last 40 years. I really doubt that family friendships would prevent him making important decisions. More lack of forsight and judgement I recon. 

1 minute ago, Top Robin said:

Lansdown is an experienced and successful businessesman who has built up his empire over the last 40 years. I really doubt that family friendships would prevent him making important decisions. More lack of forsight and judgement I recon. 

Indeed he is in ‘business’ where he has been successful and everything has fallen into place for him with correct decision making and knowledge.

But this is football...

im not questioning his commitment, I just don’t understand the plan he has going forward 

7 minutes ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

Yes, quite... I actually saw 'my light bulb moment' a long time ago ( around January 2008). Under SL our frustrations regarding where we end up will always be a continual theme... he is happy to appoint or stick with the guy who plays the game of keeping City just ticking over...be that in the championship or, in League one, he aint' really that bothered.  

If that is true and I dont disagree with your view it makes the future rather numb

40 minutes ago, Born and Red in 82 said:

Lansdown’s problem....

Cotterill gave us the best season in recent memory, playing the best football in recent memory. But he then decided to wage a PR war against the club in interviews whilst refusing to sign players or name a full bench. It was a shame but he made his own position untenable.

I also do not believe for a second he is keeping LJ out of loyalty or family friendship. He is doing it because he believes LJ has what it takes to succeed at the club in the long term. Unfortunately LJ is doing virtually nothing to repay that faith at the moment.

9 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I assume the sale of our best or better players was to ensure we do not fall foul of FFP next season. If it was to balance the books it was plain daft and I am sure, by now, the reasons behind that do not need to be spelled out to anyone.

I suspect it may have been partly because all three wanted to leave. I also think all three made sense on their own terms.  Bryan was sold for good money and it gave Kelly - arguably an even better prospect - a path to the first team. Flint was ready to move on and we have bought a younger player who may have more potential as a replacement and it was the optimum time to cash in on Reid if he would not sign a new contract.

I also actually would argue that our squad - aside from Smith’s injury and a failure to replace Reid, which are big asides admittedly - is better than last season. The issue is that we still have not addressed the major areas that we also needed to address last year - the need for a quality striker, one more midfielder and a long-term solution in goal. But, even then, I actually don’t think the major issue is the quality of the players we have but that the manager is not getting the best of them. Virtually every player in the squad has shown they can deliver more than they have been doing in recent weeks and that is (once again) a huge concern and question mark over the Manager.

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Cotterill gave us the best season in recent memory, playing the best football in recent memory. But he then decided to wage a PR war against the club in interviews whilst refusing to sign players or name a full bench. It was a shame but he made his own position untenable.

I also do not believe for a second he is keeping LJ out of loyalty or family friendship. He is doing it because he believes LJ has what it takes to succeed at the club in the long term. Unfortunately LJ is doing virtually nothing to repay that faith at the moment.

I suspect it may have been partly because all three wanted to leave. I also think all three made sense on their own terms.  Bryan was sold for good money and it gave Kelly - arguably an even better prospect - a path to the first team. Flint was ready to move on and we have bought a younger player who may have more potential as a replacement and it was the optimum time to cash in on Reid if he would not sign a new contract.

I also actually would argue that our squad - aside from Smith’s injury and a failure to replace Reid, which are big asides admittedly - is better than last season. The issue is that we still have not addressed the major areas that we also needed to address last year - the need for a quality striker, one more midfielder and a long-term solution in goal. But, even then, I actually don’t think the major issue is the quality of the players we have but that the manager is not getting the best of them. Virtually every player in the squad has shown they can deliver more than they have been doing in recent weeks and that is (once again) a huge concern and question mark over the Manager.

So what does he see at this stage in LJ that most of us don’t? What has LJ done to prove his worth since the league cup run? 

Surely his time must be running out!! 

22 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I actually don’t think the major issue is the quality of the players we have but that the manager is not getting the best of them. 

That hits the nail on the head for me. Also The lack of consistency is definitely a huge worry. It'd be Understandable for a manager beginning his career but after 3 years at this club, that should have been sorted by now 

2 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

I think all these posts are total rubbish! 

Why? No-one has suggested a sensible replacement to the manager who has given us some wonderful football. Perhaps you do too much fantasy football and seriously think you could do better?!!! 

Have some ambition.

Great stadium, now time for at least consistency on the pitch.

Time to give another Head Coach a go.

You really are one of the last to 'keep the faith' and for that I applaud you.  However you appear to be like the last violinist on the Titanic.

5 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Have some ambition.

Great stadium, now time for at least consistency on the pitch.

Time to give another Head Coach a go.

You really are one of the last to 'keep the faith' and for that I applaud you.  However you appear to be like the last violinist on the Titanic.

That band went down.

6 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

I think all these posts are total rubbish! 

Why? No-one has suggested a sensible replacement to the manager who has given us some wonderful football. Perhaps you do too much fantasy football and seriously think you could do better?!!! 

There have been plenty of names put out as a replacement, right now there is quite a few with pedigree out there. 

Seriously it’s difficult to see how anyone could do worse. LJ has his team and they are utter tripe. The players who left in the summer all asked to go including Djuric and Magnesson. We replaced the goals provided by Reid, Flint and Bryan with Weimann. 

Hunt is not much better than a mediocre full back in the Championship and we let Steel go and then scrambled for a goalkeeper. 

You are a viable replacement for LJ let alone anyone else!

I think what we are now seeing is unfortunately one of LJ’s few successes .... that is, creating a team in his own image!  Let’s just look at what imho are some of our biggest current failings.

1) An apparent inability to find a probing, incisive forward pass into the danger area, especially when there is a backward or sidewise pass available.  Ponderous build up play is the norm and we have zero chance of catching the opposition on the break and we just don’t have the vision to open teams up.

2) we run about a fair bit, but bar a couple of exceptions, are regularly bottling 50/50 challenges and making it far too easy for oppositions.

3) Total absence of imagination or creativity, particularly in the final third, leading to the inevitable resorting to more sideways and backward passing and not threatening the opposition. Set pieces are generally awful too.

4) We are just too ‘nice’ and are constantly outdone by teams who are clearly far more streetwise.

LJ was an unspectacular player himself and I really believe we are now witnessing all the characteristics of LJ as a player in the current City team.

I’ve seen nothing in LJ as a Head Coach that suggests he has anything in his locker that adds anything to our team, other than his questionable ‘attributes’ as a player. Talking the talk is one thing, but how long do we have to wait until he can walk the walk. The early part of last season is looking increasingly like an aberration, rather than some grand plan coming to fruition and I fear we are clutching at straws if we hold fire in the hope that those heady times will return if we remain patient.

One thing LJ has proved so far in his managerial career is that he’s consistently inconstent and there’s nothing to suggest he has any idea on how to improve that record.

With him now challenging SOD for serving up the most boring, insipid football we’ve had the misfortune to witness in many years, surely even SL has to be taking note of the increasing number of empty ST seats at matches, as the boredom takes a hold of an ever greater number of fans.

Of course like any real fan, I want to see stability at this club, but not stagnation. He’s had more time than he would have got at any other club and yet he’s shown zero ability to either learn by his mistakes, or to be able to man manage and motivate a group of players.

Sadly for me, I just can’t see him having the ability to ever get real success at this level. If SL continues to stick with him, his ambition for this club on the field clearly doesn’t match his ambition for the superb stadium which they occupy.

Archived