IGNORED

Predictable otib.......

Robbored

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Jeez.............:facepalm:

Get out of bed the wrong side GZ?

If I’m being told not to believe my eyes and LJ is actually a good manager but has ‘one arm tied behind his back’ the problem must be SL and the way he’s running the club.  Either way something needs to change and fast as the enjoyment of going to football for me is on a par with the Osman, Pulis, O’Driscoll days but with even more frustration as at least change came relatively quickly with those guys.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Lose at Elland Rd where Dirty Leeds are flying and with City down to 10 men and this place goes into meltdown..............:sleeping:

The anti LJ brigade are out in force with their negative posts all aimed at LJ....

What is it about ‘LJ is going nowhere’  that they don’t understand?

SL has backed him before and will do it again so why not just try to accept that fact?    :dunno:

SL wants stability long term and by sacking the Head Coach ( and all his assistants) would completely destabilise the club with an entirely new manager and his backtoom staff coming in. 

SL has seen that happen many times before and realises that long term it hasn’t worked so he’ll stick by his man just as he has before.

why do posters like yourself keep using the Leeds were flying to excuse our result yesterday, no they were not their form over the last half dozen games (before they played us) was average at best, yes they are near the top but that was more down to their form earlier in the season.

Lansdown may well seek stability and stick with WeeLee, in which case he'll also have to accept empty seats and diminished interest in his grand scheme. For sure as hell my season tickets won't be renewed next year and the 17% paid for no shows will likewise turn into many 'no buys'.

And to those who say WeeLee is a great coach, where's the evidence? He lifted Oldham from the relegation zone to mid table but left no legacy.  Barnsley, he led them nowhere, slowly,  with one or two bright performances interspersed with long losing streaks (sound familiar?) Name the players he's discovered, signed and transformed - yeah, me neither? Easier to name the players he's fallen out with, the ones who laughed in his face when he suggested he could have played in The Premier.

For me WeeLee is his father. An unexceptional, lower league journeyman though unlike his father he appears to hold a delusional consideration as to his abilities. No end of grass measuring gadgets may disguise that.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I agree with you Robbo...SL wants stability and wants LJ to do well, and trusts him to run the Club how he wants.

LJ is obviously not clueless...he's shown he can compete and even beat some of the worlds best teams.

However...whoever is in charge here, will struggle to gain a top 6 status any time soon, as the Club are looking long term, rather than short term...hence the interest in Academy and structure....and to buy young hungry players to develop.

It's all well and good...but slightly flawed when you have to sell as well. The chances of finding replacements for your sold better players, that will flourish straight away are always a gamble. You never actually get ahead of yourself. Instead you find yourself in an ever revolving door, that ends up bang average....unless you just get one of those fluke seasons.

Recent words by LJ acknowledge this...and their is some frustration in his words. He's between a rock and hard place tbh...any manager here would be. It's the nature of how SL wants the club run.

On paper...it could work...but only if everything was perfect. But as we know...football isn't.

I don't doubt LJ's ability as a coach...I think he's a good one.

My only doubts are the people involved in recruitment...MA for me is a good 'money man', but I have reservations about his role in the recruitment.

And my only doubt about LJ is his ability to motivate players. He himself has said numerous times 'that he needs to get players going'....

For whatever reason our players are playing within themselves, without freedom. you can actually see the 'thinking bubble' attached to their heads, it's weighing them down, slowing them down, both physically and mentally.

We've seen our players are capable...we've seen LJ is a capable...but there comes a time when if you can't motivate players to get going it becomes a worry.

LJ comes across as the thinker...we have Jamie Mac and Holden who have character to 'motivate'...hard no nonsense men....so on paper it should work.

I've started to think LJ would work better in a partnership. A head coach and manager partnership. His coaching skills imo, are good. His motivational skills are questionable imo.

If he and his team of coaches are struggling to get players going, then it's a problem.

We need stability...we need a good coach...but we also need motivation.

Motivation and suspect recruitment are our Achilles heal atm imo.

I want LJ to do well...I like him...but he needs to find a way to motivate these players, or SL needs to find him help or another solution.

It's just got all too cosy and nice...

I think a lot of people have been thinking this for a long time.

I think LJ would be better suited to a coaching role, and someone else brought in to manage the first team. Who? I don't know.

MA? I'm not sure exactly how much control he has…

19 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Lansdown may well seek stability and stick with WeeLee, in which case he'll also have to accept empty seats and diminished interest in his grand scheme. For sure as hell my season tickets won't be renewed next year and the 17% paid for no shows will likewise turn into many 'no buys'.

And to those who say WeeLee is a great coach, where's the evidence? He lifted Oldham from the relegation zone to mid table but left no legacy.  Barnsley, he led them nowhere, slowly,  with one or two bright performances interspersed with long losing streaks (sound familiar?) Name the players he's discovered, signed and transformed - yeah, me neither? Easier to name the players he's fallen out with, the ones who laughed in his face when he suggested he could have played in The Premier.

For me WeeLee is his father. An unexceptional, lower league journeyman though unlike his father he appears to hold a delusional consideration as to his abilities. No end of grass measuring gadgets may disguise that.

spot on!

21 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Spot on his self belief is astounding, if he had achieved anything of note I could understand it , he’s achieved nothing, Barnsley record breaking losing run , city record breaking losing run , yet I get the impression he thinks he’s some sort of tactical genius, the mind boggles, Johnson out.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Lose at Elland Rd where Dirty Leeds are flying and with City down to 10 men and this place goes into meltdown..............:sleeping:

The anti LJ brigade are out in force with their negative posts all aimed at LJ....

SL has backed him before and will do it again so why not just try to accept that fact?    :dunno:

SL wants stability long term and by sacking the Head Coach ( and all his assistants) would completely destabilise the club with an entirely new manager and his backtoom staff coming in. 

SL has seen that happen many times before and realises that long term it hasn’t worked so he’ll stick by his man just as he has before.

Yes it was a tough game, yes we went down to 10 men, yes people are pissed off but honestly it's not hard to understand why they're pissed off. 

My personal reason is that we lost a game we could have gotten something from because of our own poor performance. Leeds looked awful until Brownhill got sent off, had we actually turned up and played the football that we've all seen we're capable of then we'd have walked that game. 

That is where the meltdown comes from, not the fact we lost to a stronger team on good form, but rather we lost to a team who didn't show up until we gave the game away. 

With regards to people targeting LJ, at this point they have every right to. He's had two and a half years at this club as manager now and has taken a strong, albeit small, squad and turned it into a bigger, weaker squad who after two and a half years still don't have an identity in his they play or a strongest starting line up. 

I, as do others, understand that SL wants stability but watching a ship sink slowly is no more stable than if it sinks quickly. There is no stability at this club just because we keep a certain staff in place, you only have to look at the fact we've lost three key players that all would have stayed if we were genuinely fighting for a play off position.

A good example of the difference a manager making the world of difference without having to rip a club apart and rebuild it is Garry Monk. Birmingham were terrified of going down, they'd lost hope and their players were just not performing, then they bring in Monk and he turns them around and now they look like they could be a club who never were near relegation and their players are like a whole new team. My mate who supports them was devastated at the beginning of the season, now he's talking about them potentially making the play offs. Meanwhile we started off cautiously optimistic and now many are concerned about relegation. Some may mock that notion based on where we are but we all know that this league can change from top to bottom within a matter of a single month, the idea that we could be relegated should not be mocked and with recent performances is not something I would dismiss lightly. 

42 minutes ago, General Zod said:

If I’m being told not to believe my eyes and LJ is actually a good manager but has ‘one arm tied behind his back’ the problem must be SL and the way he’s running the club.  Either way something needs to change and fast as the enjoyment of going to football for me is on a par with the Osman, Pulis, O’Driscoll days but with even more frustration as at least change came relatively quickly with those guys.

What you see most weeks, is no different to the majority of teams in this league. That's the Championship for you.

It's probably the hardest league in the world, because of parachute payments from the Prem.

Clubs are now playing to survive...like in the Prem.

Money has taken over. Most Clubs without parachute payments will struggle in this league. It gets harder every year.

You've only got to look at Ipswich...loads of experience in this division...going nowhere but mid table. Get rid of their good manager...and one win all season and adrift.

So many fans just don't seem to grasp how hard this division is.

Even Ole in his match report said Leeds were poor...yet sit in 3rd. We matched them most part.

No manager is going to come into this Club and change things round drastically. It is what it is.

Why anyone thinks a manager will come in here, and be able to attract better players, and pay them more in beyond me.

When you look at the likes of Stoke, Villa...all sat with us, paying more, with bigger resources, 'better players' etc...all average like us...why doesn't that sink in.

You've just got to look at the league and the results each week to realise it's completely bonkers.

Fans were saying how better Preston and Brentford are in recent months...yet both below us.

There is no magic formula...no magic wand. Stability...however boring that sounds is what is needed right now.

So many fans are saying they are bored...it's not City they are bored with...but Championship football. It's become a win at all costs league and attractive football is going out the window. People watch match of the day, and see the likes of Man City and Spurs and think we can do the same. It's not possible....watch Watford, Saints etc...that's boring too...but doing what we are aiming to do.

I actually think many would prefer us being a big fish in the smaller pond of league 1, where we can have a better quality squad for the league.

We just aren't that in this league.

For me...we were spoilt with some excellent football at the beginning of last season, it was entertaining and a pleasure to watch.

But what LJ and the Club found out, was that type of high pressing, high energy football isn't sustainable over a season. It would be if we had a high end squad of quality throughout the Club. If LJ was coach and had the resources of say a Club like Villa...then imo, he would gain promotion with entertaining football.

However...last season we tried it, we got injury after injury...not just in the first team, but throughout all the Clubs teams, right through the system. I spoke to one of our teams coaches and he told me all the players were suffering with hamstring injuries, strains, pulls, tightness. It just wasn't feasible to play that way over a whole season. We had players playing with injuries who should have been resting. And as we know it all went downhill.

People say we aren't playing the same way...we aren't...because LJ knows we can't unless we had the quality and numbers throughout the squad.

So he's having to find a middle ground. It's obvious he's trying to find something that will work. Hence so many changes.

Must be really frustrating to want to play a certain way, but not have the resources to buy in players that are top end championship players that would gain promotion.

We can speculate as fans as much as we like...we don't have the money to pay massive...we don't attract the top end players...hence our strategy.

Imo...it's not going to get us promotion regardless of manager or coach...just stability.

Unfortunately that won't be good enough for many fans. They want their cake and to eat it.

Trust me...i'd love what most fans want...entertaining flowing football that wins games most weeks...but imo, it's not sustainable with what resources we have.

It wouldn't surprise me if LJ actually gets really frustrated this season with the whole set up. He imo, now knows how difficult it is with your hands tied behind your back.

He's more likely to be poached by another team with better resources and do well, than sacked by SL imo. He's in a no win situation.

Even if he were to get sacked, I could see him doing well at a bigger Club.

7 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

He's working to finding a philosophy and a style? How long does he ******* want? 

In utter disbelief that still people are defending him.

With regard to LJ - I’m entirely neutral. I accepted ages ago that he’s here long term and the SL strategy that he’s working under isn’t going to happen overnight. 

That said SL is expecting signs of progress so in that regard LJ is under pressure from his boss.

Theres still a long way to go this season and SL isn’t going to worry about poor results when we’re not even half way through the 46 matches yet.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

How many of that 47 were for development and how many were Championship ready?

From the start of the 16/17 season until now (possibly missed some players).

You can't say the likes of O'Dowda, Eisa, Adelakun are "development players". They are either ready for first team football or have to go out on loan for experience or to "develop".

Red Key = Player that did not work out. Or who does not play regular football for Bristol City.

Green = Plays regularly for Bristol City

Blue = Loan player that was successful

Orange = "Development" Player

Black = Too early to categorise

Tomlin = Gone

Magnússon = Gone

Moore

Djuric = Gone

Engvall = Gone

O'Dowda

Taylor

Hegeler

De Girolamo = Gone

O'Neil = Gone

Brownhill

Wright

Abraham = Loan

Cotterill = Loan

Matthews = Loan

Lucic = Gone

Paterson

Giefer = Loan

Ekstrand = Gone

Diedhou

Baker

Eliasson

Walsh

Pisano

Steele = Gone

Leko = Loan

Woodrow = Loan

Diony = Loan

Kent = Loan

Webster

Weimann

Hunt

Eisa 

Watkins

Maenpaa

Adelakun 

Da Silva = Loan 18/19

Kalas = Loan 18/19

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

With regard to LJ - I’m entirely neutral. I accepted ages ago that he’s here long term and the SL strategy that he’s working under isn’t going to happen overnight. 

That said SL is expecting signs of progress so in that regard LJ is under pressure from his boss.

Theres still a long way to go this season and SL isn’t going to worry about poor results when we’re not even half way through the 46 matches yet.

I totally agree with your first sentence , no point in calling for his head as we know it will make no difference to the man that counts.
As for the 2nd part, yes it has to be a long term strategy , but he has been here long enough and with enough comings and goings to have made significant strides to progress. I'm not really seeing it to be honest. He will be under pressure , but he will also know that win the next 2 games he will have his job for another 6 months (barring a double record breaking run). There is a long way to go, but I wonder what criteria Steve is using to judge, and how badly do we have to go before the subject of a new man is discussed with the board.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

You dont get rid of a dictator by not standing up. If people don't stand up and make themselves heard it implies we're happy to carry on with this mediocrity. 

8 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I totally agree with your first sentence , no point in calling for his head as we know it will make no difference to the man that counts.
As for the 2nd part, yes it has to be a long term strategy , but he has been here long enough and with enough comings and goings to have made significant strides to progress. I'm not really seeing it to be honest. He will be under pressure , but he will also know that win the next 2 games he will have his job for another 6 months (barring a double record breaking run). There is a long way to go, but I wonder what criteria Steve is using to judge, and how badly do we have to go before the subject of a new man is discussed with the board.

I'm pretty sure SL has already stated that he expects to see an improved league position compared to last season, so one place higher than we finished last season or more points than we got last season should meet his target.

As to progress, having sold three of our best players, and one in particular who was so vital to the way we were playing, I think it a tall order.

That isn't defending LJ, in fact I don't think he is the man to take us forward, but SL does and that's it.

Given FFP or whatever it's called the path to the Prem is very difficult without parachute payments, staying in the division is easier, and that is what I am expecting for the forseeable future, we will be around mid table unless something exceptional happens like finding another Reid and borrowing another Tammy.

I think we need a manager who has been there and done it recently, British or foreign I don't care, but that experience is vital to my mind.

22 minutes ago, Red_Wizard said:

From the start of the 16/17 season until now (possibly missed some players).

You can't say the likes of O'Dowda, Eisa, Adelakun are "development players". They are either ready for first team football or have to go out on loan for experience or to "develop".

Red Key = Player that did not work out. Or who does not play regular football for Bristol City.

Green = Plays regularly for Bristol City

Blue = Loan player that was successful

Orange = "Development" Player

Black = Too early to categorise

Tomlin = Gone

Magnússon = Gone

Moore

Djuric = Gone

Engvall = Gone

O'Dowda

Taylor

Hegeler

De Girolamo = Gone

O'Neil = Gone

Brownhill

Wright

Abraham = Loan

Cotterill = Loan

Matthews = Loan

Lucic = Gone

Paterson

Giefer = Loan

Ekstrand = Gone

Diedhou

Baker

Eliasson

Walsh

Pisano

Steele = Gone

Leko = Loan

Woodrow = Loan

Diony = Loan

Kent = Loan

Webster

Weimann

Hunt

Eisa 

Watkins

Maenpaa

Adelakun 

Da Silva = Loan 18/19

Kalas = Loan 18/19

So 15 signings were Championship ready........

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

While I agree with you Robbored, that he's not going anywhere, it doesn't mean it's the correct decision. Many on here, myself included, are just voicing their opinions that he should be removed. We all know it's one man's opinion that matters but people have the right to voice their own on here IMHO.

I have nothing against LJ personally as I don't know the man but I do question his suitability for the 'job' he's doing although I know that whatever we think is of no consequence at all.

Archived