Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Recommended Posts

i think the club need to get away from the johnson family. i think gary was great for our club and lee has had some good moments. but it appears to be to comfortable for lee. we need a new man to come in and get the most  out of a talented squad of players . i feel for our club to go forward mark ashton and the owner need to act. not sure the fans will put up with to much more  of what we are producing right now. lets dont waste another season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gary wasnt as great as some think he was. He signed some of the worst players I have seen in a City shirt and signed them on long contracts which we couldnt offload and started our downward spiral back to League 1. Also, his style wasn't easy on the eye.

Lee Johnson is somehow worse and the uncle Pete was absolutely hopeless

  • Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, One BCFC said:

Gary wasnt as great as some think he was. He signed some of the worst players I have seen in a City shirt and signed them on long contracts which we couldnt offload and started our downward spiral back to League 1. Also, his style wasn't easy on the eye.

Lee Johnson is somehow worse and the uncle Pete was absolutely hopeless

Gary's football wasn't great and having LJ in his side did him few favours because of Lee's negative style of play which divided opinion among fans. Unfortunately Lee has taken his playing style into management which is why we are now so cautious in our build up play. The high press style is just a memory now.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I just don't understand comments like this "we need to get away from the Johnson family". 

I think it's a lazy attitude and suggestions that somehow the Johnson's are taking the mick out of our club is just wrong IMO.

Gary took us closer to the premier league than any other manager, he was backed by SL, it didn't work out and he paid with his job.

LJ may well get sacked at some point, but it won't be for want of trying

He isn't here phoning in his job, just picking up a pay packet, using BCFC for personal gain. He is clearly working his arse off - his best may not be good enough, but that isn't the point.

If LJ leaves, there will be the hundreds that will be very relieved, but there will also be thousands who will thank him for his efforts and the acknowledge progress he has overseen here.

I imagine a lot of what has been put in place over the last few years at the club under LJ/DH/JMac and JL/MA will not been seen in LJ's tenure.

I wouldn't know about the backroom set up but there is no merit in just trying hard; put any forum member into the position of first team coach and they will work seventy hour weeks and try their damnedest.  I would.

We would all also be bloody useless; and nowhere near as good as Lee.

What you need however is not a tryer but an achiever.  Steve Cotterill is a tremendous achiever in L1 and L2 but not the Championship.

If we want promotion then we need to appoint a manage with a proven record of success in the Championship and at more than one club so that they've shown they can replicate it.

Gary Johnson gave us some great seasons in the Championship.

Lee Johnson has given us some great runs in the Championship.

Maybe Lee can turn those runs into seasons but he's had several opportunities to do so and not managed it.

The only definite name on the teamsheet last season that has gone is Bobby; Aden and Joe were in and out so selling the best players is not sufficient excuse.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I wouldn't know about the backroom set up but there is no merit in just trying hard; put any forum member into the position of first team coach and they will work seventy hour weeks and try their damnedest.  I would.

I'm not sure all managers do!

We would all also be bloody useless; and nowhere near as good as Lee.

What you need however is not a tryer but an achiever.  Steve Cotterill is a tremendous achiever in L1 and L2 but not the Championship.

Agreed and I said exactly that. Trying is not everything.

If we want promotion then we need to appoint a manage with a proven record of success in the Championship and at more than one club so that they've shown they can replicate it.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Increasing trend is to go abroad, David Wagner, Nuno, Jokanovic, Karanka, Daniel Farke, Strendel. Howe and Dyche, as an English alternative, were inexperienced options. More importantly  though, the number of managers that have the criteria you've said are few, in demand and most likely too expensive for us. Also will they be happy to come in for a long stint, commit to work top to bottom at the club, with the u12's for example, as LJ does? And without a top end budget?

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

i think the club need to get away from the johnson family. i think gary was great for our club and lee has had some good moments. but it appears to be to comfortable for lee. we need a new man to come in and get the most  out of a talented squad of players . i feel for our club to go forward mark ashton and the owner need to act. not sure the fans will put up with to much more  of what we are producing right now. lets dont waste another season.

Agreed. We need to bring in a decent manager who has no links or history with the club. Someone who has no preconceptions about players and will start with a clean slate and view each player on his merits. A bit like the way Gareth Southgate has managed the England team - sod the reputations, its all about form. Somewhere in that squad there is a quality team and Lee has simply not found it.....give someone else a chance.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Incredibly ungrateful OP

Dave, I don't see the OP as that, more the case that this long standing love in needs to come to an end.

By way of example, what I would would refer to as 'lazy loans' have been all about LJ looking after his father and NOT in the best interest of young aspiring pros. These lads need to go to clubs that work for them individually - style, development needs, the right Gaffer and other senior pros that will bring out the best in them. Conversely the receiving club also gains a very talented player that can be blooded into senior first team football and strengthen the squad as a consequence. Sometimes finances, clauses and wages can get in the way of things but where there is a will there is often a way.

If you haven't done, you need to watch some of our loanees playing under Gary Johnson. I did, at Whaddon Road and watched a game in which three of ours played. It was both a farce and sad at the same time. The standard was complete crap and, for me, they were getting nothing out of being there. The whole set up just looked convenient and lazy. The fee paid for Mo Eisa is another matter altogether?

Lazy loans continue, now at Torquay United. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I wouldn't know about the backroom set up but there is no merit in just trying hard; put any forum member into the position of first team coach and they will work seventy hour weeks and try their damnedest.  I would.

We would all also be bloody useless; and nowhere near as good as Lee.

What you need however is not a tryer but an achiever.  Steve Cotterill is a tremendous achiever in L1 and L2 but not the Championship.

If we want promotion then we need to appoint a manage with a proven record of success in the Championship and at more than one club so that they've shown they can replicate it.

Gary Johnson gave us some great seasons in the Championship.

Lee Johnson has given us some great runs in the Championship.

Maybe Lee can turn those runs into seasons but he's had several opportunities to do so and not managed it.

The only definite name on the teamsheet last season that has gone is Bobby; Aden and Joe were in and out so selling the best players is not sufficient excuse.

As an outsider If you sack Johnson then someone like Pardew maybe worth a punt 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dragging GJ up, that’s going to help.

However the whole thing about LJ coming here was bizarre. Most supporters were stunned and a few that had a clue and mentioned it were roundly slagged off and laughed at until it happened.

My thought is SL is always trying to do the right/correct thing to move us forward, but some of his decisions have been off. This is not just a matter for Steve but also his advisors, mo0st of whom resign or get sacked 

Since SL has been here, who else has been constant? I cant think of anyone except Jon and Badger.

Either way LJ knows he needs to come up with the goods soon and get a run going as his signings largely look mediocre or have been moved on already, in Hegeler case he has been told to go if he can find a club, he wont!

The original point was the board and funders of the club are too close to a particular family. This maybe true.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cityfan said:

I wonder how many people are as self-analytical and critical of themselves at work as they are of the football manager that manages their team?!

 

Hypocrisy everywhere.

Sorry mate, but that’s a ridiculous statement, he’s paid very well to do a job, which in my opinion he’s failing miserably 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Dragging GJ up, that’s going to help.

However the whole thing about LJ coming here was bizarre. Most supporters were stunned and a few that had a clue and mentioned it were roundly slagged off and laughed at until it happened.

My thought is SL is always trying to do the right/correct thing to move us forward, but some of his decisions have been off. This is not just a matter for Steve but also his advisors, mo0st of whom resign or get sacked 

Since SL has been here, who else has been constant? I cant think of anyone except Jon and Badger.

Either way LJ knows he needs to come up with the goods soon and get a run going as his signings largely look mediocre or have been moved on already, in Hegeler case he has been told to go if he can find a club, he wont!

The original point was the board and funders of the club are too close to a particular family. This maybe true.

It is true !As you go through life you see that who you know means more than what you know !

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Sorry mate, but that’s a ridiculous statement, he’s paid very well to do a job, which in my opinion he’s failing miserably 

Is he failing?  What is the remit Steve Lansdown has given him?  What is the timeframe on that remit? How is he performing against the goals and timeline set?

 

A couple of wins and City are around the play-offs.  It is only the 25th November.  Look at some of the heavyweight's in the division that City are up against.  What is the realistic expectation to 'compete' against the remit set by Steve Lansdown, the funds available and the appeal of Bristol vis-à-vis other clubs and cities?

 

I wouldn't say he is failing at all.  He (Bristol City) may not be meeting the hopes and aspirations of Bristol City fans, but that does not equate to failure.  Steve Bruce got kicked out of Villa this season.  Look where they were in the league at the time and then look at his success in getting out of this division.  Has Villa progressed since?  Nope, pretty much the same place.

 

There are very few guarantees for success plus attacking entertaining football.  Neil Warnock doesn't do the latter, but near guarantees the former.

West Ham fans always want the latter, but have little success.

Maybe if Lee does go we should get Big Sam or Neil Warnock to simply get into the Premier League and then review our approach from there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cityfan said:

Is he failing?  What is the remit Steve Lansdown has given him?  What is the timeframe on that remit? How is he performing against the goals and timeline set?

 

A couple of wins and City are around the play-offs.  It is only the 25th November.  Look at some of the heavyweight's in the division that City are up against.  What is the realistic expectation to 'compete' against the remit set by Steve Lansdown, the funds available and the appeal of Bristol vis-à-vis other clubs and cities?

 

I wouldn't say he is failing at all.  He (Bristol City) may not be meeting the hopes and aspirations of Bristol City fans, but that does not equate to failure.  Steve Bruce got kicked out of Villa this season.  Look where they were in the league at the time and then look at his success in getting out of this division.  Has Villa progressed since?  Nope, pretty much the same place.

 

There are very few guarantees for success plus attacking entertaining football.  Neil Warnock doesn't do the latter, but near guarantees the former.

West Ham fans always want the latter, but have little success.

Maybe if Lee does go we should get Big Sam or Neil Warnock to simply get into the Premier League and then review our approach from there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Villa have just won 3 on the trot, are you happy with our style of play or lack of it , are you happy with record losing runs , are you happy with lj transfer record, do you honestly think we’re moving forward, we are a poor side, lj must take most of the blame, what do you make of lj interview yesterday, we were the better side for most of the game , we’ve had 2 shots on target in 2 games that’s not acceptable to me , we’re going backwards fast.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

Agreed. We need to bring in a decent manager who has no links or history with the club. Someone who has no preconceptions about players and will start with a clean slate and view each player on his merits. A bit like the way Gareth Southgate has managed the England team - sod the reputations, its all about form. Somewhere in that squad there is a quality team and Lee has simply not found it.....give someone else a chance.

I agree with you TR - there is a great team within our squad....it’s just a bit too comfortable for them all at the moment....after putting in the very weak performances that we’ve witnessed recently, I doubt any of our players is scared to walk into the dressing room after a game to face the ‘wrath of Johnson’ - they’d buck up their ideas if there was a livid McCarthy (ok, too late to get him), Bruce, Warnock, Moyes, O’Neill or Keane waiting for them....all successful, hard blokes who care about their reputations and fine track records...any of them with Jordan as number two and people like Tinnion, Murray, Carey, Millen and Wilbraham in the background would get this squad in shape pretty damn quick....and they’d certainly know what it means to play for this fantastic club and they’d know that they’d need to buck up their ideas or go elsewhere.....

LJ obviously cares about our club, but I just don’t think he’s up to being the number one...his level is somewhere beneath that, every player has their level and so does every manager....we just really need a gnarly, proven, successful guy who will get the attention of every player as soon as he walks into the dressing room, purely because of what he has achieved in the game....LJ will unfortunately never earn that level of respect....not his fault but he has never hit the heights as a player or a manager and therefore the players ain’t wary of him or scared to face him after a crap performance......

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit harsh on GJ and LJ imo, only being in my early 30’s and having not seeing us in the 1st Division, both Gary and Lee have gave us some unforgettable seasons/moments that will live with me forever, yes they both have their faults as do everyone, but seeing as both are not locals it’s clear for all to see they both love and want the best for City.

Yes things are not great at present and really do think it will only take a couple more bad results and SL will have to let LJ go, won’t happen but need someone with experience to come in along side him or put LJ as head of coaching and let someone else come in and make all the important decisions come matchday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

 

The only definite name on the teamsheet last season that has gone is Bobby; Aden and Joe were in and out so selling the best players is not sufficient excuse.

I just looked it up as i don’t think you are right. Flint played 46 times in all competitions last season and scored 9 times. Joe 48 and 7. So hardly in and out of the team. Yes they obviously don’t match Bobby’s tally, 52 appearances with 21 goals but they still are a huge loss just the same, especially when you consider their replacements aren’t finding the target and Webster aside aren’t starting consistently either

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish it was only LJ.

I assume those who think we have a good squad are those who were saying that there’s no threat of relegation until a couple of matches ago.

Wake up. We’re packed full of lightweights and inconsistent players who are in a comfort zone of looking busy but actually achieving naff all. We’ve no goal scorers, lack leaders, winners and have very few ‘power-players’. LJ inherited a squad that with a few additions could have pushed on. We’ve gone backwards in 2018. 

LJs was sold on improving players. He isn’t, quite the opposite. People will cite Bobby as one example of improvement. I think that private gym had as much to do with his improvement than LJ to be honest. He developed power and stamina that never existed before his Summer training regime. I said I’d judge LJ on whether Pato was instructed to do the same this Summer. He’s failed miserably. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...