IGNORED

WHATS A GOAL WORTH?

generation1

First let me admit to being against constant change of manager. perhaps that time is drawing very near.

It is clear that between now and the end of season we need to find 30+ goals to stay where we are never mind go forward.

So where do they come from? . Both midfield and defence show a lack of goal power and this appears to have infected our forwards.

So we arrive at the January window Who would you buy? What would you pay? and what goal return do you expect for your money?

REMEMBER a £5M striker scoring 10 goals in that time would still leave us looking for another 20  

4 minutes ago, generation1 said:

Both midfield and defence show a lack of goal power and this appears to have infected our forwards.

Playing Devil's Advocate; are the forwards getting the necessary service from defence and midfield?

If not; that is the problem, regardless of who's up front. If they are getting the service, then quality replacements are required as the current incumbents are clearly inadequate.

I honestly think we have a decent squad, trouble is , at the moment we seem to lack direction. Adding players however good won't make that much difference if the team are confused on what they are trying to do. I know it's not an easy fix, but I feel a lot has to come from the man at the top. LJ has to find a team/formula/direction/DNA or whatever you want to call it , he has to install that into the team and stop the awful runs his teams seem prone to fall in too.

45 minutes ago, generation1 said:

so your point is that we need to spend nothing in January and if we find our IDENTITY  we have the players to provide the missing 30 goals we      will need

I'm not sure that's my point, don't like those throwaway tag lines. LJ said we found our identity yesterday, one shot on target isn't much of an identity.
I think we have enough in the squad to be mid table, but I don't think we have been well enough set up or organised. It looks as though some times we have a team sheet, then they are just told to go out and play. I doubt that is true but it does look that way. 
My initial reply was a bit tongue in cheek, but with a point. I don't think we will spend big in Jan, and unless we get a loan in we won't sign a striker. That leaves the squad to do the work, as I said , I think they are good enough.

11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I'm not sure that's my point, don't like those throwaway tag lines. LJ said we found our identity yesterday, one shot on target isn't much of an identity.
I think we have enough in the squad to be mid table, but I don't think we have been well enough set up or organised. It looks as though some times we have a team sheet, then they are just told to go out and play. I doubt that is true but it does look that way. 
My initial reply was a bit tongue in cheek, but with a point. I don't think we will spend big in Jan, and unless we get a loan in we won't sign a striker. That leaves the squad to do the work, as I said , I think they are good enough.

Completely agree. The squad is good enough to be in the top half of the table. For whatever reason the coaching team isn't getting the best out of what we've got.

1 hour ago, generation1 said:

really hope so.seen us alll the way down and have not got the years left to do it again.

back to my starting point I just do not think we have the fire power however we set up to bring us the goals we need

While I admit we don't have top top strikers, in Fam, Weimann and even Taylor and Eisa we have decent choice. Where we fall down is creating chances, none of those named have missed loads so you have to question the style and quality of our build up play. Last year we moved at pace (early part at least) and fashioned plenty of chances, this year slower tempo and less chances.
Reid was a big part of the quick pass and the pressing game we played, maybe Weimann was brought in to fill that role, not really happened. We have a creative MF'er in Walsh, but even LJ says he should play in a 3, that doesn't fit into his 442 system, what the answer is , I don't know. I would play a 451 with proper wide wingers and Walsh given a little licence to get forward, I doubt we will see that. He is pretty rigid with his system and I think that either leaves us light in the centre MF or means the wide men are less effective as they are coached to defend more. 
With luck we win at Ipswich and beat Millwall and we get a little confidence and momentum, we can hope. We definitely need to stop this run and soon.

Archived