IGNORED

If not Johnson; then realistically who?

Cider red

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Think about the strategy that SL wants him to work within

I think you know i’m Perfectly aware of that!

.........LJ is employed to bring stability and sustainability and the revenue generated by the departure of Bryan, Flint and Reid goes towards the sustainability of the club but despite that income City still lost £25m..........

That income will be seen in 18/19’s accounts, and against an outlay of £10m ish, we leave us £15m in profit.  However that surplus will be eaten up by our bloated & increased wage bill for this season, notwithstanding signing on fees for players like Maenpaa (Free) and Weimann, etc, loan fees for Kalas and Dasilva.

Suspect that will leave us with another loss at the end if this season, and little wriggle room, if any in January.  That’s not including any impairments on values of Baker and possibly Diedhiou!!

Who are our saleable assets in the summer?  Kelly and Brownhill?  Not £25m worth, no matter how much you rate Kelly!

LJ signed several players but many  of them were for development - speculate to accumulate.

Do you mean speculate a lot, accumulate disproportionately for the outlay?

He also signed players ready for the Championship but I’ll bet they didn’t cost more than the income from the summer departures.

Agree, that was punishment by SL for wasting loads.  If SL had allowed LJ to spend all of the £25m I would be checking if the boardroom walls were in fact padded ?

12 hours ago, lenred said:

Why is it crazy? It’s a suggestion with good detail as to why it may be feasible. Why do you think we are such an awful proposition for these Managers? You seem to have a real downer as to what we can offer. We need to be aiming high whenever the next appointment is made.

Here, here. Most important post in any football club is the manager. We just seem to nearly always go for uninspiring choices and bemoan the fact we shouldn’t expect better?

We have plenty to offer and with the right manager we could take off.

1 minute ago, billywedlock said:

It will not appear, but they suggest GJ had an interest in transfers. To what level ? Who knows 

£1.5m Income will show somewhere.  It will stick out like a sore thumb.

Be interesting to check other things like assets, amortisation, impairments, and see if it all adds up.

Dyche could be available in the near future. Not sure he has very fond memories of his time in Bristol though. Carvajal is a shout. Desperate for another job in England. I agree that LJ’s job is pretty safe though and won’t be going anywhere unless we are in the danger zone with 7 games to go. And even when he does go you know it will either be an internal replacement or another uninspiring name like the aforementioned Michael Appleton. 

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Let's be fair- the jury is still out on this.

By which I mean if Birmingham as the most recent and high profile case for example get a big points deduction and a fairly open ended transfer embargo, then suddenly our plan will look not a bad shout- because if that happens that will spook a number of clubs because they will see that and may well be worried about the same- that could actually open up the market to us a bit, or said clubs may have to sell quickly to PL or abroad- thereby weakening the competition- a lot depends on this season though.

Its a big if, has any club had a "big points deduction" or had their promotion cancelled because they spent too much? genuine question as I don't know but cannot recall one? seem to remember a few embargo`s

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

Jeez..........you’re soooo bloody predictable...............:sleeping:

? oh hark ......and you are not I suppose......and is LJ unique in having a limit on funds available? as you and others constantly mention the "one hand behind his back" excuse for his inability to string any run of form together and his persistent poor runs and recruitment.

2 hours ago, Bri Stool City said:

Its a big if, has any club had a "big points deduction" or had their promotion cancelled because they spent too much? genuine question as I don't know but cannot recall one? seem to remember a few embargo`s

It remains to be seen- the end of the season should tell us, the rules are ever changing. So far no.

So far it's been fines and embargoes but this Birmingham case will be a Test case- if penalties the EFL want take place, that will be a game changer.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I can't quote it properly but re: your point about impairments: there's absolutely no chance that Baker or Diedhiou will be impaired. For a player's contract to be impaired they pretty much have to have been out with an injury the entire season (sometimes even that isn't enough) or have been rotting in the reserves. Being slightly out of form (auditors have a very different opinion of what constitutes form to what fans do), or being a bit part player are not strong enough on their own to impair contracts.

Agree entirely with the rest of your points though. I'm not optimistic about next year's accounts at all.

11 hours ago, billywedlock said:

How many teams promoted to the Prem in the last 10 years have done so with a manager stability approach ? Meaning someone with more than 3 seasons .  When you do , and you should , the concept of stability is quite frankly nonsense if promotion is your aim .

This is an interesting question.

Don't have the stats but my hunch is that the majority of promotion winning bosses (pwb) from this division in the last ten years have been in that job for less - quite a bit less - time than LJ will have been (assuming he does not promote us this season).

My hunch is that the pwb from this division have demonstrated quickly - ie, their first full season, or their second - that they can do the job, produce consistent results and take the heat. 

If LJ takes us up next season, or the one after next*, it will be the exception I would think. Recent history is against him on this.

*From the Championship! 

**Eddie Howe might be one notable exception. But he had already demonstrated clear, tangible ability and results in the role.

9 hours ago, Gratbot said:

I can't quote it properly but re: your point about impairments: there's absolutely no chance that Baker or Diedhiou will be impaired. For a player's contract to be impaired they pretty much have to have been out with an injury the entire season (sometimes even that isn't enough) or have been rotting in the reserves. Being slightly out of form (auditors have a very different opinion of what constitutes form to what fans do), or being a bit part player are not strong enough on their own to impair contracts.

Agree entirely with the rest of your points though. I'm not optimistic about next year's accounts at all.

Yeah, you’re right....wrong terminology.  Should’ve said that Baker might not get the £3.5m ish we paid for him if we tried to sell him.  Diedhiou - I'm not sure what his current value would be.  I’m not sure there would be too many takers at £5.3m.

20 hours ago, Bri Stool City said:

So is relegation well within our reach....many clubs have thought they are too good to go down...SL better wake up soon or he could see both his rugby and football clubs go down.

We chose to sell those 3 and more players, LJ also picked their replacements; other clubs have also been in the transfer market by the way and have changed their players; you are just putting excuses out there just like lee ....the ref....we were tired....fine lines...etc, etc the players and most of the staff are not good enough hence the last 10 games= 8points gained from the 30 available.

Relegation is if your pint glass is half empty. 

Im not trying to cling onto our 4 game winning streak but it didn’t seem that long ago and the management deserve a chance to try and return to that.

Is he paying the price for squad rotation? Possibly but injuries hasn’t helped him and he’s obviously got one eye on last seasons consistency that cost us.

i fully believe that he has a squad that can make mid-table, particularly when you consider our loan-outs. If he doesn’t get that he is underachieving and his future should be considered. In the short term if he gets 0 from the next two he should go. 

I don’t recall having ever used the ref, fine lines (whatever they are), or tiredness as excuses for his continued employment.

I also disagree with your suggestion that the players aren’t good enough. 

We need to be careful, if we don’t give managers time no one worth their weight will want to work under SL. 

Furthermore, and this is just a thought, SL could be waiting for Warnock to get sacked

10 minutes ago, real_bristol said:

Relegation is if your pint glass is half empty. 

Im not trying to cling onto our 4 game winning streak but it didn’t seem that long ago and the management deserve a chance to try and return to that.

Is he paying the price for squad rotation? Possibly but injuries hasn’t helped him and he’s obviously got one eye on last seasons consistency that cost us.

i fully believe that he has a squad that can make mid-table, particularly when you consider our loan-outs. If he doesn’t get that he is underachieving and his future should be considered. In the short term if he gets 0 from the next two he should go. 

I don’t recall having ever used the ref, fine lines (whatever they are), or tiredness as excuses for his continued employment.

We need to be careful, if we don’t give managers time no one worth their weight will want to work under SL. 

Furthermore, and this is just a thought, SL could be waiting for Warnock to get sacked

1. Injuries HELP him. This has been proved at Barnsley and here. He does well when the side picks itself. 

2. How much ****ing time does he want??!! 

9 minutes ago, real_bristol said:

The rotation is his choice, so right , wrong, win , lose it's his fault. Injuries come with the territory , although we have had way more than our fair share , he chose not to add to the midfield. Effectively going into the season with 3 first choice CMF ( I don't count Walsh as he's only just been given games), Korey's injury is unfortunate but incredibly bad planning on LJ's part. 
I agree with you about the squad , I also think we have a decent squad, and should have enough to be a solid mid table side. 
Not sure he'll go , even if we lose the next 2 games, and as far as not giving managers time ........ LJ's had more than enough, and SL is definitely not a knee jerk owner.

43 minutes ago, Superjack said:

1. Injuries HELP him. This has been proved at Barnsley and here. He does well when the side picks itself. 

2. How much ****ing time does he want??!! 

1. Do you mean when he doesn’t have the strength in depth he doesn’t change it so the consistency helps him. Not sure I get you.

2. Time for what exactly? Are you saying he underachieved last season? If so I disagree. What are you expecting from the club? Automatic promotion? Spending spree? 

1 minute ago, real_bristol said:

1. Do you mean when he doesn’t have the strength in depth he doesn’t change it so the consistency helps him. Not sure I get you.

2. Time for what exactly? Are you saying he underachieved last season? If so I disagree. What are you expecting from the club? Automatic promotion? Spending spree? 

1.Yes. That is exactly what I am saying. 

2. Despite his lack of qualification and experience for the job (Imo), he has been here longer than the average lifespan of a Championship manager and has survived horrendous runs that would have seen him sacked from any club where the ultimate decision maker was not a personal friend. 

39 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

The rotation is his choice, so right , wrong, win , lose it's his fault. Injuries come with the territory , although we have had way more than our fair share , he chose not to add to the midfield. Effectively going into the season with 3 first choice CMF ( I don't count Walsh as he's only just been given games), Korey's injury is unfortunate but incredibly bad planning on LJ's part. 
I agree with you about the squad , I also think we have a decent squad, and should have enough to be a solid mid table side. 
Not sure he'll go , even if we lose the next 2 games, and as far as not giving managers time ........ LJ's had more than enough, and SL is definitely not a knee jerk owner.

I think you’re right, rotation is at least partly down to him but you can’t blame him for trying after last season. I think that’s what some fans are finding so difficult to swallow, the fact that we might be guinea pigging ourselves with a young manager. As I said before we can easily make mid table or put a run together, find some consistency and push for higher than that.

depends what you mean by CMFs as well because that might include AMs as well as DMs so squad wise we have adequate cover and it’s up to the management to get it right.

collectively, right now, we’re underachieving but there seems to be too much fickleness/short termism amongst fans and I’m pretty sure under a democracy I’m allowed to opinionate that it’s too early to sack him. This season was always going to be about re-grouping and finding our best first team combination and achieving mid-table in the process.

whatever happens I’ll back SL and the players that wear the shirt, as will you I’m sure

2 minutes ago, real_bristol said:

I think you’re right, rotation is at least partly down to him but you can’t blame him for trying after last season. I think that’s what some fans are finding so difficult to swallow, the fact that we might be guinea pigging ourselves with a young manager. As I said before we can easily make mid table or put a run together, find some consistency and push for higher than that.

depends what you mean by CMFs as well because that might include AMs as well as DMs so squad wise we have adequate cover and it’s up to the management to get it right.

collectively, right now, we’re underachieving but there seems to be too much fickleness/short termism amongst fans and I’m pretty sure under a democracy I’m allowed to opinionate that it’s too early to sack him. This season was always going to be about re-grouping and finding our best first team combination and achieving mid-table in the process.

whatever happens I’ll back SL and the players that wear the shirt, as will you I’m sure

And so will I. But I don't think that it is fickleness when it comes to LJ. Firstly because of the time and (second)  chances that he has been afforded, but secondly because it would imply that someone such as myself has changed their mind. I haven't. I thought he was unqualified and under-experienced for the job when he was appointed, and have never changed my opinion. Not twelve months ago. Not now. 

10 minutes ago, Superjack said:

1.Yes. That is exactly what I am saying. 

2. Despite his lack of qualification and experience for the job (Imo), he has been here longer than the average lifespan of a Championship manager and has survived horrendous runs that would have seen him sacked from any club where the ultimate decision maker was not a personal friend. 

1. Well that’s pretty interesting and I can see your point from last season until the cup run ended. How do you know thats what helped him at Barnsley? Just wondering. But without veering off course I do think we’ve got sufficient cover for Korey and as such recent results mean that you are right to question the managers position but I can’t agree that he should go.

2. How do you know he’s a personal friend? Because SL and GJ parted in good terms? Even if they were I’m sure Steve would have told him that he won’t hold back if he ****s it up. He’s made billions from being professional and I trust his judgement.

You might be right about his employment at other clubs but I’m glad SL isn’t rushing into making what I would call a hasty decision. He tried that and failed 

2 minutes ago, Superjack said:

And so will I. But I don't think that it is fickleness when it comes to LJ. Firstly because of the time and (second)  chances that he has been afforded, but secondly because it would imply that someone such as myself has changed their mind. I haven't. I thought he was unqualified and under-experienced for the job when he was appointed, and have never changed my opinion. Not twelve months ago. Not now. 

That’s fair enough. I hope your proven wrong 

1. Well that’s pretty interesting and I can see your point from last season until the cup run ended. How do you know thats what helped him at Barnsley? Just wondering. But without veering off course I do think we’ve got sufficient cover for Korey and as such recent results mean that you are right to question the managers position but I can’t agree that he should go.

2. How do you know he’s a personal friend? Because SL and GJ parted in good terms? Even if they were I’m sure Steve would have told him that he won’t hold back if he ****s it up. He’s made billions from being professional and I trust his judgement.

You might be right about his employment at other clubs but I’m glad SL isn’t rushing into making what I would call a hasty decision. He tried that and failed 

Thanks for the reply. 

1.Just going on what Barnsley fans said on their own forum and indeed on here when he was appointed. 

2. It's hardly a well kept secret. If he isn't bosom buddies with SL, he certainly is with his son. 

We were left with Pack and Brownhill when Smith got injured, I would guess 75% of people on here had mentioned we looked light in MF during last summer. With 3 rotation would have been an option, expecting not to get injuries or suspensions was naive on Johnsons part.

Of course you can have any opinion you want. I've given up pretty much , as I've said many times, he's here as long as Steve wants him to be here so there's not much point in worrying about it. 

I don't get that this season should have been regrouping, we lost 3 good players but, imo Webster is an upgrade and Kelly and DaSilva are better at left back than Bryan, the big miss is Bobby Reid. Better recruiting and we could have pushed on, but every signing is a risk.

I get what Lansdown wants, it makes sense. But as a football fan I want/expect City to win every game and play well which is an unrealistic , won't stop me feeling that way. So I'll go down , cheer them on and moan endlessly when they lose, it's what I do.

20 hours ago, jambodinho said:

Dyche could be available in the near future. Not sure he has very fond memories of his time in Bristol though. Carvajal is a shout. Desperate for another job in England. I agree that LJ’s job is pretty safe though and won’t be going anywhere unless we are in the danger zone with 7 games to go. And even when he does go you know it will either be an internal replacement or another uninspiring name like the aforementioned Michael Appleton. 

He's on 70,000 quid a week at Burnley . 

Archived