IGNORED

If not Johnson; then realistically who?

Cider red

1 minute ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I honestly can’t think of anyone proven that realistically might come to AG under the terms that SL imposes. 

LJ is the best of a very small choice. 

As time (and losses) mount though, a gamble on another unknown and untried manager may be worth a punt..... because that’s the alternative. I

Moyes I think would come here, but I don't think that Lansdown would bring him. I may be wrong on this, but wasn't Lansdown one of the board that veto'd Moyes against Scott Davidson in favour of Pulis? 

SL wants a man that will fit in with the 'philosophy' and not be overly confrontational. The problem is that a majority of supporters (myself included) would rather see a Cotterill type if it meant success... and let's not forget that the last 'Cotterill type' was Cotterill, and he brought us the most successful season in my lifetime. 

I am convinced (I may be wrong) that even if Lansdown shelled out and brought Moyes here, which I think unlikely, unless forewarned which would likely scupper the deal, a 'Coppell mk2'  situation would be on the cards. 

This is why, although in employment far away from home, I think Chris Coleman would be the sort of compromise between owner and supporters that our club needs right now. 

Conjecture of course. We all know that we are stuck with what we have. 

1 minute ago, Red_Wizard said:

If Chris Coleman became our Manager that all but confirms relegation. Awful awful manager. 

Really? 

I think you would be surprised. All personal opinion though. 

If you think that he is more awful than the current incumbent then with the greatest of respect I think that I will let the rest of the forum decide. 

Just now, Superjack said:

Really? 

I think you would be surprised. All personal opinion though. 

If you think that he is more awful than the current incumbent then with the greatest of respect I think that I will let the rest of the forum decide. 

Sounds crazy but I would rather have Johnson over Coleman. Can’t believe I’m saying that...

Boothroyd would be interesting if he could get us playing like England U21's, would have great contacts for getting youth players in on loan. Carvahal? If people don't like LJ's interview sayings they'll hate his. Wednesday fans weren't upset he went in the end either.

32 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Moyes I think would come here, but I don't think that Lansdown would bring him. I may be wrong on this, but wasn't Lansdown one of the board that veto'd Moyes against Scott Davidson in favour of Pulis?

Correct. Moyes, then of Preston, was Davidson’s first choice and was flying back from a family holiday in Florida to sign a deal to take over. But Laycock and SL wanted Pulis and the rest is history. 

Moyes has already declared his interest in managing us in an interview with the Post in October 2018. He would be an obvious choice, just as our owner would be an obvious barrier. 

2 minutes ago, tin said:

Correct. Moyes, then of Preston, was Davidson’s first choice and was flying back from a family holiday in Florida to sign a deal to take over. But Laycock and SL wanted Pulis and the rest is history. 

Moyes has already declared his interest in managing us in an interview with the Post in October 2018. He would be an obvious choice, just as our owner would be an obvious barrier. 

Thanks for confirming. 

So he was ****ing up managerial appointments even then! ??

I Like the way Norwich appointed Farke and Huddersfield Wagner, youngish yet relatively experienced German coaches, running Dortmunds second teams, then given the opportunity  of their first proper jobs as managers.  The ploy of looking for coaches who are assistants or who run reserve teams under a successful manager, and are ambitious to step up can be fertile ground, if the club does its homework and research.  City definitely seem to have a 'jobs for the boys' approach which ends up being a little too cosy and safe.....IMHO.

13 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Thanks for confirming. 

So he was ****ing up managerial appointments even then! ??

I remember it clearly: Moyes, Pulis or Peter Taylor all three threw their hats into the ring at that time. All three were good candidates and went on to bigger and better things than BCFC.

That alone speaks volumes, as a power struggle in the boardroom cost us getting Moyes when he was on the way up, and I have no doubts he’d have dragged us up with him. 

I’ve always respected and appreciated SL as a benefactor, but he’s an appalling decision-maker when it comes to football. Nothing had made me change that opinion in more than a decade.

10 minutes ago, tin said:

I remember it clearly: Moyes, Pulis or Peter Taylor all three threw their hats into the ring at that time. All three were good candidates and went on to bigger and better things than BCFC.

That alone speaks volumes, as a power struggle in the boardroom cost us getting Moyes when he was on the way up, and I have no doubts he’d have dragged us up with him. 

I’ve always respected and appreciated SL as a benefactor, but he’s an appalling decision-maker when it comes to football. Nothing had made me change that opinion in more than a decade.

Like. 

(used mine up for today). ?

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

We were left with Pack and Brownhill when Smith got injured, I would guess 75% of people on here had mentioned we looked light in MF during last summer. With 3 rotation would have been an option, expecting not to get injuries or suspensions was naive on Johnsons part.

Of course you can have any opinion you want. I've given up pretty much , as I've said many times, he's here as long as Steve wants him to be here so there's not much point in worrying about it. 

I don't get that this season should have been regrouping, we lost 3 good players but, imo Webster is an upgrade and Kelly and DaSilva are better at left back than Bryan, the big miss is Bobby Reid. Better recruiting and we could have pushed on, but every signing is a risk.

I get what Lansdown wants, it makes sense. But as a football fan I want/expect City to win every game and play well which is an unrealistic , won't stop me feeling that way. So I'll go down , cheer them on and moan endlessly when they lose, it's what I do.

Paterson, Watkins, Walsh and Hegeler can play in midfield. I don’t think midfield is the issue and you touched on it yourself, its what we have up front. I think Famara needs a run of games as does Taylor but we don’t have that luxury now. I also think that Taylor and Weimann might be a better partnership than Taylor and fam and there in lies our problem up top.

You might be right about SL. Both McInnes and Cop-out would probably back up your theory but the last thing I want is him to sell up. I completely agree with his sustainability agenda and what he’s achieving with our academy and loan system and hope the future is bright because of those things.

Glad to hear this won’t stop you going but save your moaning for on here. You only need to hear the faint whispers of what’s happening with football somewhere in remote North Bristol to know it could be a whole lot worse. 

i don’t know if you’re old enough to remember GJs first 10 games in charge but that was also a whole lot worse. I’ll never forget wanting to go to the Huddersfield game on the back of 10 defeats or something ridiculous, whilst we were sitting pretty at the bottom of the 3rd tier. The club needed us then and they need us now. 

I bloody love football

UTFC

On 25/11/2018 at 18:34, Superjack said:

I could see Chris Coleman being a likely replacement. And to be honest I wouldn't be unhappy with that. I've always quite liked him as a manager. 

I use the term 'likely' loosely, as unfortunately I think a vacancy in the near future is anything but. 

No. No. NONONONONO.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

On 25/11/2018 at 18:34, Superjack said:

I could see Chris Coleman being a likely replacement. And to be honest I wouldn't be unhappy with that. I've always quite liked him as a manager. 

I use the term 'likely' loosely, as unfortunately I think a vacancy in the near future is anything but. 

Unless we manage to purchase Gareth Bale, then hello league 1.

9 hours ago, tin said:

Like.

We have a very cosy set up with many ex- players in coaching and staff positions which would not be a problem if we were , or had been , successful enough to merit re-employing these men .

The famous Liverpool boot room had enough experience and winning mentality that it worked.

As it is we are coached largely by nearly men and not one can get his medals out to impress the better signings.

If we wanted to keep it all in house why haven't we brought in ex players who have gone on to be successful elsewhere ?  Moyes, Dyche to name but two . 

I firmly believe that SL does exactly what he wants with , what used to be , our club and doesn't want anybody questioning his handling of it. 

Uncle Steve strikes me as the type of bloke who , as a lad , would take his ball home if the other boys didn't play nicely.

So we have Bristol Cosy football club where if your face fits it doesn't matter if you aren't actually any good .

If one day Lee Johnson finally calls it a day who would bet against Jamie Mac being moved up with Cole Skuse and Louis Carey as the new coaching assistants ? 

Archived