IGNORED

Frank Fielding

bpexile

30 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Nonsense. Maenpaa is likely to earn us more points than Frankie ,, is the better goalkeeper and is only out through injury.The jersey was his and should be restored to our number 1 when he’s fit .

No question. 

Just to add that I think Frankie is a good keeper and a really great bloke but if Nikki earns us the extra points that get us higher up then he is the one we should be playing.

Agreed Major.

We will never have a perfect keeper at this level but it is great to have the position sorted. A top Championship level keeper in Maenpaa as No.1. Ably supported by Fielding as our No.2 and then we have the home grown 3rd choice of Max. It's almost the perfect triumvirate of keepers. Perhaps the first time since the days of Basso that we've had the position sorted?

First game for FF in seven months vs Forest, a win and clean sheet. We have 3 good goalkeepers and at the moment FF is playing. We will see If Maenpää can take  the nr1 when he is fit. Like FF as a person and gk, many gk have tried to take his place, Mäenpää is the one who have best chance. Will not be surprised if FF is our nr1 rest of the season.

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Surely we should play our strongest team whenever we can? No room for sentiment....

And if we keep winning? The old adage about not changing a winning team. Nikki has been great, don't get me wrong, but Frankie is the man in possession,if we're still going strong when Nikki is fit to return, tough choice for LJ no question. 

3 hours ago, glynriley said:

And if we keep winning? The old adage about not changing a winning team. Nikki has been great, don't get me wrong, but Frankie is the man in possession,if we're still going strong when Nikki is fit to return, tough choice for LJ no question. 

FF is the man in possession by default.

What does that say to NM ? Don’t get injured ? 

No he’s the better keeper and should be put straight back into the first team when he’s fit.

Sorry Frankie. 

17 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

No he’s the better keeper and should be put straight back into the first team when he’s fit.

Sorry Frankie. 

I totally agree . 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I still think NM is our no1, but FF looks so confident behind our CB pairing.  Great save at 1-0.  Well done FF.

Spot on - it must be really hard to come back in after such a long layoff.

I thought he was more composed / assured than I have seen - it must be the defence in front of him now.

That save was game changing - not enough people giving him credit right now - it would have swung the game completely imo if they had scored, as they were exerting pressure and we were defending ever deeper after we scored.

It really disappoints me that people can’t just Credit frankie without the usual “Maenpaa is by far the better keeper”. 

No he isn’t. 

Maenpaa has just as many mistakes in him as FF does. People just get caught up in the fact that FF isn’t 6’6” tall. 

Great keeper. Great bloke. 

On 01/02/2019 at 16:13, Major Isewater said:

Nonsense. Maenpaa is likely to earn us more points than Frankie ,, is the better goalkeeper and is only out through injury.The jersey was his and should be restored to our number 1 when he’s fit .

No question. 

Just to add that I think Frankie is a good keeper and a really great bloke but if Nikki earns us the extra points that get us higher up then he is the one we should be playing.

A cracking save by Frankie today and a clean sheet. But yeah drop him as soon Nikki fit 

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

A cracking save by Frankie today and a clean sheet. But yeah drop him as soon Nikki fit 

Quite right too.

I don’t have to defend myself or Frankie, he’s a top bloke and top keeper however Nikki is better by small margins and small margins are what separates the winners from the runners up .

2 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

As someone said before, good defence and the gk is also better. Another clean sheet for FF and the team. FF or NM? Both are good but think FF is the one that is our nr1.

Debatable, GS and not for me. FF has done well since his return, so credit where it is due.

But I, like the Major, prefer Maenpaa when push comes to shove.

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

It really disappoints me that people can’t just Credit frankie without the usual “Maenpaa is by far the better keeper”. 

No he isn’t. 

Maenpaa has just as many mistakes in him as FF does. People just get caught up in the fact that FF isn’t 6’6” tall. 

Great keeper. Great bloke. 

Oh, thanks for clearing this up. I thought it was all about opinions, but clearly not.

I don't think anyone will ever really agree about who is best. Probably both sides have a good case.

Fair play, Frankie has made a good return though. i'm pleased for him.

10 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Sorry Frankie. 

In possession by default!!? What a load of horse shit. The keeper who saw us through a double winning  season and has seen off many pretenders to his throne. 

You need to sit closer to your telly or get down Ashton Gate from time to time. 

The one area where Frankie has previously looked weak by comparison to other keepers has been on crosses. He was always dependent on Flint to get his head on the ball. However today pretty much every aspect of FF's play was top drawer, including better kicking distribution, plus knowing when to play it out quickly, and when to slow the game down. Plus 2 clean sheets in the League since his return should keep his confidence levels high.

18 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

The one area where Frankie has previously looked weak by comparison to other keepers has been on crosses. He was always dependent on Flint to get his head on the ball. However today pretty much every aspect of FF's play was top drawer, including better kicking distribution, plus knowing when to play it out quickly, and when to slow the game down. Plus 2 clean sheets in the League since his return should keep his confidence levels high.

Re the common references to Fielding / Flint / Crosses (Not by you But in general)

If I was a manager I’d be wanting Aden Flint to deal with crosses

Not many keepers , let alone FF are going to out jump him so FF may as well stay in his line  -

Just a Thought

(I don’t know what the plan / instruction may have been when Flint was here) 

We may see him come for more crosses now although he is more of a liner / great reactions keeper

10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Re the common references to Fielding / Flint / Crosses (Not by you But in general)

If I was a manager I’d be wanting Aden Flint to deal with crosses

Not many keepers , let alone FF are going to out jump him so FF may as well stay in his line  -

Just a Thought

(I don’t know what the plan / instruction may have been when Flint was here) 

We may see him come for more crosses now although he is more of a liner / great reactions keeper

He certainly came for more today and, as you say, it must take a big shift in mindset to adjust to not having Aden in front of him after so many games when he did.

Just great to have three quality keepers IMO and not be worried which one ends up playing.

9 hours ago, glynriley said:

In possession by default!!? What a load of horse shit. The keeper who saw us through a double winning  season and has seen off many pretenders to his throne. 

You need to sit closer to your telly or get down Ashton Gate from time to time. 

Do you honestly think that FF would have played if Maenpaa wasn’t injured ? 

Ergot he is in possession of the jersey by default.

FF is a top keeper as I repeatedly say but NM just offers that little bit more .

Now , back in your box ! 

Archived