IGNORED

I like LJ and want him to succeed, am I alone on here?

reddogkev

Seriously, wondering how many want LJ to stay?  I only ask as all the talk on here seems to be LJ should be sacked etc, our play is the worst ever, can't be bothered to go to football, blah blah blah.

I don't wish the sack on LJ, I want to see him succeed.  He's a good man who has his head screwed on, understands the City business strategy, doesn't kick up a stink when 20 million pounds worth of talent have to be sold, and has given me the finest night of my life at Ashton Gate, one that will likely never be surpassed.

I have accepted that under Lee, the team has terrible runs of form and sometimes loses 4 or 5 games in a row.  I've also seen several very impressive games and a team that is trying to grow in the Championship.

This takes time, it's not as if SL has tried to bankroll a promotion challenge.  Even our most expensive striker, £5.3 million, is peanuts for this league. 

Yes, Lee has his flaws, but has it really been that bad recently?  It's only the losses to Reading and Preston that were inexplicably poor. Clearly things will get worse if we lose to Ipswich, but I'm tipping a 1-1 draw, and then a win against Millwall.

COME ON LEE, prove the doubters wrong!

P.S, If I am alone, so be it!  I love a bit of solitude every once in a while!

Alone in wanting him to succeed? No, of course we all want him to succeed; unless you're not a fan of Bristol City because his success correlates to the Club's success. 

Alone in liking him? No, but plenty don't, but then again it would be boring if everyone liked the same personalities. 

I want everyone at the club to succeed. Unfortunately I don't believe that Johnson is capable of getting the best out of the players that we have (almost all of whom were bought by him) and we should make a change now. That would give the new man some time to assess ahead of the transfer window.

If he proves me wrong (and not just for 10-15 matches as we've seen in the past) I'd be delighted.

11 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Seriously, wondering how many want LJ to stay?  I only ask as all the talk on here seems to be LJ should be sacked etc, our play is the worst ever, can't be bothered to go to football, blah blah blah.

I don't wish the sack on LJ, I want to see him succeed.  He's a good man who has his head screwed on, understands the City business strategy, doesn't kick up a stink when 20 million pounds worth of talent have to be sold, and has given me the finest night of my life at Ashton Gate, one that will likely never be surpassed.

I have accepted that under Lee, the team has terrible runs of form and sometimes loses 4 or 5 games in a row.  I've also seen several very impressive games and a team that is trying to grow in the Championship.

This takes time, it's not as if SL has tried to bankroll a promotion challenge.  Even our most expensive striker, £5.3 million, is peanuts for this league. 

Yes, Lee has his flaws, but has it really been that bad recently?  It's only the losses to Reading and Preston that were inexplicably poor. Clearly things will get worse if we lose to Ipswich, but I'm tipping a 1-1 draw, and then a win against Millwall.

I want Bristol City to succeed. I don't give a flying **** who the manager is.

Do I like LJ ?  Not particularly .....

Do I want him to succeed?  Yes of course

Are you alone on here?  Pretty much

Is Lee the right man for the job? Demonstrably not based on 2018 record, win rate, recruitment, style of play 

Do I want him gone?   Yes - immediately 

Carvahal or Moyes would be on my short list

• Admin
23 minutes ago, Dredd said:

I think Lee is a very likeable guy who clearly loves the club and for that reason alone I absolutely want him to succeed. 

But i don’t think he’s the man for the job 

Spot on - 100% agree with this

It's almost like he is ahead of time we how he seems to over think everything, it reminds me of when Benny was in charge he was described as being ahead of the time and the game wasn't ready for him

Am convinced LJ would be better off behind the scenes studying all his stats and feeding the information to a strong leader

Of course I want him to succeed

Is he the right man? I'm not sure. I have the argument with two particular people all the time though, if LJ goes we rip all this up and start again. That is what scares me. A lot of hard work has gone into getting the squad that LJ wants, you can argue whether it's gone well or not, but to move on now and start all that again doesn't make sense to me

In the 30+ years I've been supporting City we have yo-yo'd between Championship & L1 (in all their various guises) and we'll probably end up doing it again. Does that make me happy, no. But it's what City are, unfortunately

City doing City things

37 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

"Johnson happy clapper ", crap player, shit coach, never go anywhere with him at the club, 

4 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Is he the right man? I'm not sure. I have the argument with two particular people all the time though, if LJ goes we rip all this up and start again. That is what scares me. A lot of hard work has gone into getting the squad that LJ wants, you can argue whether it's gone well or not, but to move on now and start all that again doesn't make sense to me

In the 30+ years I've been supporting City we have yo-yo'd between Championship & L1 (in all their various guises) and we'll probably end up doing it again. Does that make me happy, no. But it's what City are, unfortunately

City doing City things

Why, why, why do we have to give up on our ethos if LJ goes? This is what gets me. I feel like SL, Ashton and co have have drip fed this idea into the subconscious of our fan base to buy LJ a ridiculous amount of time and slack. Frankly it’s utter bull!!! The reality is that having a club ethos and long term strategy like ours makes the head coaches role totally changeable. He is just the steward and changing the head coach doesn’t mean abandoning our long term strategy as there are plenty of guys who would work with it. Most foreign managers know no other way.

I don’t care if Lee is “likeable”, I care if the players respect him. I don’t care if he appears to be “a good man who has his head screwed on,” I would rather he be a warnock type clown who takes the flak for his players rather than directly or indirectly blames them. I don’t even care that he spouts how much he loves the club etc, I care if he is competent. He could be a drunk who slurs in front of the camera, has a “shadwell f.c” (I.D.) tattoo on his arse cheek and his name tattooed across his knuckles, who sleeps in the dug out because his wife kicked him out the house, rather than the well-groomed and attired pr ready family man that he is, as long as he is good at his job. Impressing a few clueless suits is not what I want in a manager, I want someone who knows the game, who gets results, who gets the team playing good football, and who the players respect so much they would crawl across broken glass for with their flies unzipped.     

41 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

No, you’re obviously not alone in wanting him to succeed.

Every single person on this forum and inside Ashton Gate on Sunday (bar the Millwall fans maybe..) wants him to succeed.

Wanting him to and believing he will are different things though. Didn’t think that would need to be clarified.

Really?  most threads based around LJ are along the lines of wanting him to be sacked, who is going to replace him etc?  A few people have often said they want City to lose so LJ can be sacked, don't tell me you haven't read it.  So, no every single person on this forum does not want LJ to succeed, or in a different context, remain in the job.

On the occasions that I have met Lee I have been impressed. He comes across as a good person who works hard and wants to do well for his family. He cares about the club a lot more than I believe any other merry-go-round manager would or even could and because of this puts many hours into the club (many more than any other manager would) - this maybe his downfall, he just wants it so much and when other things that he can't control happen (such as selling players, losing games ect) it pisses him off and that creates a stressful environment for himself where he overthinks everything and that in turn stresses the players and a stressed system always seeses up when put under any additional pressure. 

Genuinely I don't think anyone wants to see him fail, I mean if the guy went on to win us the league would we genuinely have a fan who would dislike him after that? I think it simply comes down to results and reasoning behind them. LJ is a likeable guy when things are going his way but when results and performances turn sour he doesn't have the answers or seemingly the direction the fans want from him.

I think all managers are irritating when they make excuses, the issue is that LJ seems to have an "I didn't do anything wrong" air about him, it's either the players didn't execute his perfect plan or that they were unlucky... that doesn't wash when the fans can clearly see him making poor decisions and his explanations not lining up to what they've witnessed for themselves.

12 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

"Johnson happy clapper ", crap player, shit coach, never go anywhere with him at the club, 

Comments like this are what is wrong with debating on the internet. The term 'happy clapper' is not funny, witty, and doesn't even describe opposing opinions all that well. It ignores the fact that we, on the other side of this debate, also see very obvious flaws, but want to continue as there isn't a magical solution in changing it all up at this time of the season, and that we know he isn't going anywhere regardless of how many tantrums are thrown on here.

3 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Really?  most threads based around LJ are along the lines of wanting him to be sacked, who is going to replace him etc?  A few people have often said they want City to lose so LJ can be sacked, don't tell me you haven't read it.  So, no every single person on this forum does not want LJ to succeed, or in a different context, remain in the job.

I actually haven’t seen anyone say they want City to lose. So as much as you may want to tell me not to say that, I don’t see how lying that I have seen that is the correct thing to do.

I don’t believe that you can’t see the difference between thinking he should be sacked, but wanting him to succeed if he doesn’t. You can have an opinion that it would be for the best for the club that he is removed, but until he actually is you want him to succeed and prove you ‘wrong’. I absolutely 100% believed he should have been sacked at the time of that Rotherham game a couple of years ago, when Djuric scored and City won I was just as happy as if I was a fully paid up member of the ‘In Johnson was trust’ brigade. Surely the desire of every fan to see City win is greater than whatever feeling they have to whichever bloke is in charge of picking the team at any given time..

Have you never believed that a manager at any time was the wrong man for job? If you have surely you still wanted the team to win? If you’ve never wanted a manager removed, then well done I guess.

19 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Why, why, why do we have to give up on our ethos if LJ goes? This is what gets me. I feel like SL, Ashton and co have have drip fed this idea into the subconscious of our fan base to buy LJ a ridiculous amount of time and slack. Frankly it’s utter bull!!! The reality is that having a club ethos and long term strategy like ours makes the head coaches role totally changeable. He is just the steward and changing the head coach doesn’t mean abandoning our long term strategy as there are plenty of guys who would work with it. Most foreign managers know no other way.

True on foreign managers

My point is that LJ has had 4 (?) transfer windows and another one looming. I can't see any other manager come in and not want to change at least 4 of the starting line up and probably double that within the squad. That takes a lot of transfer windows to change, and we're back to square one

Then after 12 months everyone is moaning about the new fella, and we go through the same process again

You are not a loan 118... if Lee succeeds we all will be happy, well apart from the one's that would never be happy on here.

The grass is always greener, but not all all sure who would be a better option than Lee, bearing in mind who we are as a Club and the likes of some of our supporters who's continuous haringing  will see the club in turmoil and playing in a lower league.  

28 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Absolutely spot on, I remember posting something similar well over a year ago.

If we truly do have an ‘ethos’ or a ‘philosophy’ or, whatever else you may wish to call it, then it is decided on and put in place by people well above the Head Coach. He is responsible for what happens on the pitch, nothing more. Coaches will come and go but, the plan stays the same and the next coach works under that framework.

Of course such a method will rule out certain managers, but the idea that Lee Johnson happens to be the only person in the entire world that can manage us under the current plan for the club is absolute garbage. I refuse to accept that anybody actually truly believes it.

9 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

Comments like this are what is wrong with debating on the internet. The term 'happy clapper' is not funny, witty, and doesn't even describe opposing opinions all that well. It ignores the fact that we, on the other side of this debate, also see very obvious flaws, but want to continue as there isn't a magical solution in changing it all up at this time of the season, and that we know he isn't going anywhere regardless of how many tantrums are thrown on here.

So if we loose the next 10 games or get relagated (hope not though) he won't do anything, I don't think so. Lose of revenue, through reduced season tkt sales, next season, supporters staying away whilst he's there, 

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

What needs to be reiterated on here time and again is this forum is not representative of the opinions of all supporters. A lot of supporters, for their own reasons choose not to come on here so what we see is a minority of vocal people, some who like the sound of their own voice, others who try to stimulate reasoned debate, but it’s not the entire fan base  

It’d be interesting to know how many people keep away from this forum after a loss as they know the same old arguments will be wheeled out and therefore choose to stay away rather have endless ‘debate’.

There will inevitably be a time when LJ has to go and the fans opinions will need to be considered, the fact it happens on here almost everyday is like the boy who cried wolf and it’s just getting to be the same old stories every time.

For example, if he continues to play players (Pato?) who has been out of his best form for a while that’s wrong, yet if he changes it he’s accused of being a  Tinker man! You just can’t win with some people.

If you really want the team to do well we’d all do well to be happy clappers for a while until confidence is restored and players play to their ability. If that ability is not good enough for us to progress then fine, thanks for your efforts but time to move on and we’ll try to find a better player to do that job.

57 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

City doing City things

This is all YOUR fault...!!

47 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Exactly. If LJ goes and we rip up the squad as a result then we've completely failed in what we have been trying to do over the past seven years. My main concern over LJ is that I don't think he is getting the best out of the players that we have. I want a manager that decides on our best team and gets them playing well, rather than a manager who throws away players who I think have real potential. 

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

4 or 5 games in a row if only, try 8 games and looking like a repeat could be on the cards, patience is a virtue they say well all I can say is if you want to give Lee even more time you must be one hell of a virtuous person.

Archived