IGNORED

I like LJ and want him to succeed, am I alone on here?

reddogkev

I think he’s a decent bloke trying to do the best for the club. Hope he succeeds here. However the jury is still out fo me. At times we look unbeatable at times completely clueless, which is hard to explain.

I think he recruits well generally and appears to improve players by and large. Maybe would be better as an assistant? IDK...

Your not alone. I like him. I think he’s done a decent enough job, but the signs are he’s going off track at the moment. I think he’s got until the middle of December to save his job, and I really hope he does. Obviously the board will have to take into account the unrest among fans, the forthcoming transfer window and time needed to find a manager who can take us forward within the confines of the budget and according to the clubs philosophies and practices. 

I don’t think SL will be afraid to fire him but would do so reluctantly and I’m sure there are potential managers already identified. 

48 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

So if we loose the next 10 games or get relagated (hope not though) he won't do anything, I don't think so. Lose of revenue, through reduced season tkt sales, next season, supporters staying away whilst he's there, 

Another example of forming an extreme opinion or scenario that drives your narrative. If that happens than of course he'll go, but it's very implausible that that is going to happen, so I am not going to accommodate that as a main factor in thinking if he stays or goes. What concerns me is people immediately reaching for the most negative situation once things go start going a bit wrong. We did amazingly this time last year and look where it got us in the league at the end? I would much rather figure it out towards the final third of the season and go on a good run as historically that usually gives you a better chance of getting somewhere. Not to say this is inevitably going to happen, but think this time last year how Fulham fans were feeling.

Want any City manager to succeed- because if they fail the team fails...

That aside- his lack of learning. Why isn't he learning, seems to be the same mistake- I appreciate managers perhaps are often always learning, game ever changing but he doesn't seem to learn which is worrying! If he was showing signs of learning through experience, from mistakes etc then I wouldn't be that concerned, but he does not. Be it tactics, man management, hit and miss recruitment- though that also has to do with our inadequate and undermanned scouting network- he seems to repeat the same patterns despite the fact he should be learning from the experience and the good and hard times...

I like him, and more to the point believe in him, and believe that ultimately he will succeed.

No denying that he makes mistakes (who doesn't?) and sometimes it appears to me that he can be guilty of overthinking things, although that doesn't mean that I'm right and he's wrong.

I think that it is an absolutely huge task to get City to a position in this league where we can firstly compete, and then to challenge. During Lee's tenure to date, we have done both.

I get as frustrated as anyone when we go on losing runs, and turn in performances as we did against Preston, but still have confidence that Lee WILL get us there.

I totally understand if other supporters have different opinions, and have no problem at all in people airing their thoughts. But sadly, there seem to be a few on here that will never accept Lee as manager/head coach at this club, and seem determined to vent their views at every single opportunity.

Not necessary and not helpful IMO.

2 hours ago, bearded_red said:

No, you’re obviously not alone in wanting him to succeed.

Every single person on this forum and inside Ashton Gate on Sunday (bar the Millwall fans maybe..) wants him to succeed.

Wanting him to and believing he will are different things though. Didn’t think that would need to be clarified.

Quite so, but he can't let it go can he...

Some people have had enough of Johnson and do not believe he will ever coach at this level again

Since I started following city in 1990/1991, we have slowly moved from being a club mostly in the third tier with occasional short stints in the second tear, to a club mostly in the second tier. Success for now would be to continue this trend. I don't get to many games now as I live in East Anglia, but I will be at Ipswich tomorrow. From the perspective of someone who follows the club closely, but hasn't been to many games, I don't understand the negativity you see on here and facebook. Yes, LJ makes mistakes. Yes, he is still learning, but he led the club to its highest league finish in 9 seasons earlier this year. I went to Portman Road 2-3 years ago, when we were in the middle of his terrible run, and at the end of the day he survived that and has since led us to an 11th place finish - only the 4th time since I have been following city that we have finished in the top half of the second tier. He also led us to a first major cup semi-final in that time. Given that he survived those early difficulties, I can't see him being sacked any time soon. Even if the current run continues and we drop into the relegation zone, I think he will (probably rightly) still have a bit more time to put things right. Sometimes, we just need to take a bit of perspective and realise that although we all want the club to succeed, progress will be slower than we may like. I find it hard to see how anyone could argue that over the last 20-30 years we haven't made progress. Even more recently, we have achieved one of the highest league finishes in recent times, and a great cup run. Another year like that anytime in the next 4-5 and that would be continued progress.

6 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

There's plenty that want him to fail, that's for sure.

Totally ignoring our successes like the cup run, just to be able to come on here and post during bad runs 'I never wanted LJ, he was a bad appointment, I'm right blah blah arghhhhh'

Countering the doubters by continuing to bang on about the cup run that ended .10 months ago and was followed by relegation form over 40 plus matches.

I think he a smug *** but want him to succeed for the reasons so many others have stated.Anyone who thinks he is here because he is an excellent coach rather than a friend of the owning family is somewhat misguided and that is what irritates so many fans I believe.

2 hours ago, 29AR said:

Alone in wanting him to succeed? No, of course we all want him to succeed; unless you're not a fan of Bristol City because his success correlates to the Club's success. 

I'd like to agree with you but this might be a bit naive. People have their favourites and the opposite is also true.... LJ has always found himself in the second camp.

I want us to win tomorrow at Ipswich. Then I want us to win the next game, and then the one after that, etc etc. One day, I would like us to win promotion from this division because that would be bloody exciting, and a season and spectacle AG has witnessed only twice in more than one hundred seasons of football.

I couldn't give a fug who the coach is when if/when this unlikely outcome ever comes to fruition. 

1 hour ago, 1bristolcity said:

You are not a loan 118... if Lee succeeds we all will be happy, well apart from the one's that would never be happy on here.

The grass is always greener, but not all all sure who would be a better option than Lee, bearing in mind who we are as a Club and the likes of some of our supporters who's continuous haringing  will see the club in turmoil and playing in a lower league.  

You don't even go to games so are you talking about supporters  haranguing on matchday (which you know **** all about) or a few dozen people on this forum ? If so the notion that this forum is so powerful that it could bring a billionaire to his knees is laughable.

The only people who will put our club into turmoil and playing in a lower league is the owner and those he puts in place to manage the football side, not discontented fans. I don't believe the club will end up in turmoil anyway, although playing in a lower league is certainly more likely than doing it in the opposite direction at present.

1 hour ago, milo1111 said:

Why, why, why do we have to give up on our ethos if LJ goes? This is what gets me. I feel like SL, Ashton and co have have drip fed this idea into the subconscious of our fan base to buy LJ a ridiculous amount of time and slack. Frankly it’s utter bull!!! The reality is that having a club ethos and long term strategy like ours makes the head coaches role totally changeable. He is just the steward and changing the head coach doesn’t mean abandoning our long term strategy as there are plenty of guys who would work with it. Most foreign managers know no other way.

I'm not aware of SL/MA hoodwinking fans into thinking this. I believe it is merely old thinking, sloppy thinking, about how it used to be, and so how it must be still be now, when the current set up has moved on.  

Sadly there are fans on here, and I'd imagine at AG who would be happy to see us lose the next few games just so there is the chance he might go.

Personally, for all the good he has done for us, I think we have now stalled and we need someone new in to bring in new ideas and progress us. I'll fully get behind him and hope that he turns around this blip, but I'd like to see us bring in someone who can progress not only the club but the team also

1 hour ago, Newquay-Red said:

Comments like this are what is wrong with debating on the internet. The term 'happy clapper' is not funny, witty, and doesn't even describe opposing opinions all that well. It ignores the fact that we, on the other side of this debate, also see very obvious flaws, but want to continue as there isn't a magical solution in changing it all up at this time of the season, and that we know he isn't going anywhere regardless of how many tantrums are thrown on here.

Bear in mind that the poster you quoted wanted Harry Redknapp as our manager the other day because he told some good stories on a reality TV show. This level of debate may be the best that they can manage.

35 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Quite so, but he can't let it go can he...

Some people have had enough of Johnson and do not believe he will ever coach at this level again

I am  concerned by the seemingly un sackable position that LJ is in .

I am all for giving a coach time to do his job but there must be controls and measures in place which means that the coaching staff are Not supported blindly .

My other concern is that LJ makes all his mistakes here , gets fired than turns into Gardiola Mark 2 at his next club . 

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Seriously, wondering how many want LJ to stay?  I only ask as all the talk on here seems to be LJ should be sacked etc, our play is the worst ever, can't be bothered to go to football, blah blah blah.

I don't wish the sack on LJ, I want to see him succeed.  He's a good man who has his head screwed on, understands the City business strategy, doesn't kick up a stink when 20 million pounds worth of talent have to be sold, and has given me the finest night of my life at Ashton Gate, one that will likely never be surpassed.

I have accepted that under Lee, the team has terrible runs of form and sometimes loses 4 or 5 games in a row.  I've also seen several very impressive games and a team that is trying to grow in the Championship.

This takes time, it's not as if SL has tried to bankroll a promotion challenge.  Even our most expensive striker, £5.3 million, is peanuts for this league. 

Yes, Lee has his flaws, but has it really been that bad recently?  It's only the losses to Reading and Preston that were inexplicably poor. Clearly things will get worse if we lose to Ipswich, but I'm tipping a 1-1 draw, and then a win against Millwall.

COME ON LEE, prove the doubters wrong!

P.S, If I am alone, so be it!  I love a bit of solitude every once in a while!

Personally  I find it downright despicable that anyone should take their personal dislike of the Manager to the extent that they hope the club loses.  As far as Lee himself is concerned< I don't know him personally, but he has been pretty involved with the club both as a player and a Manager, and clearly would love to help Steve Lansdown to achieve his goal. I like Managers who are forward thinking and embrace technology as well, so in those respects, he fits the bill. He has my total support, that doesn't mean to that he doesn't make decisions that baffle me, but then he has more information and experience to go on, than I do from the terraces. 

2 hours ago, Woodsy said:

True on foreign managers

My point is that LJ has had 4 (?) transfer windows and another one looming. I can't see any other manager come in and not want to change at least 4 of the starting line up and probably double that within the squad. That takes a lot of transfer windows to change, and we're back to square one

Then after 12 months everyone is moaning about the new fella, and we go through the same process again

I hear you and understand what you mean but there are no guarantees LJ will succeed with this group of players. 2018s results categorically say the opposite. On top of that if he gets through to next summer he would probably be looking for 4 or 5 new faces himself anyway!!!!!

10 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

I hear you and understand what you mean but there are no guarantees LJ will succeed with this group of players. 2018s results categorically say the opposite. On top of that if he gets through to next summer he would probably be looking for 4 or 5 new faces himself anyway!!!!!

Which highlights another big flaw of his- he seems to treat players like shiny new toys 'I want that one, no that one- actually that one'.

Cannot get the best out of quite a few, doesn't seem to know how to coach some- plus of course a number of signings who turned out to be duds or heavily injured. However such a churn as we have season on season is fairly ridiculous and cannot help the side tbh- maybe I'm wrong but haven't we signed 47 players in his time here (that's a grand total of loans, permanent and youth).

17 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Stop making valid points to my argument, it's getting a little annoying now ?

I always think that a manager has a certain life span at any club. How often have you heard a manager say 'they must be bored of listening to my voice'. Unless you are getting success, a la Ferguson and Wenger (the early years!) I should imagine the same voice, the same message must get a little boring. Maybe we're coming to that point with LJ?

A number of posters on here have said of course they want him to succeed because that means the club will succeed and progress. I am in the same camp but many on here have also said they wouldn't come near the ground if someone like Neil Warnock was in charge regardless of results. That's a bit hypocritical. We all want success for the club whoever is in charge. Surely it's the club we support not the players or manager. They will come and go but the club will go on. Lees style of play of late has tested my resolve but I will always support City.

I've never disliked LJ but it was clear from the start he was undeserving to be appointed Bristol City manager and that he was put in situ for the wrong reasons.

I now feel like I'm humouring SL in his determination not to be shown to have made the mistake so many of us felt certain LJ's appointment would be from day 1.

That wouldn't be too much of a problem if I wasn't paying £500 per season to do so, only to find myself mostly frustrated and bored, and if SL's stubbornness and seemingly fatherly concern for LJ wasn't leading me to gradually fall out of love with my most enduring passion and hobby.

Once LJ was appointed, and the dye was cast, I'd very much like it to have worked out, but once again - because his failures are repetitive - it's clear it hasn't, and won't.

Normally I don't begrudge Bristol City F.C. a single penny but this failed experiment at our expense - both in terms of money and exasperation - has gone on far too long and it's torturously unenjoyable to watch.

I'm seriously considering keeping my £500 next season.  

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Like others I like LJ. I’ve met him a few times and he’s a very astute and bright guy and just as others have said I want City and LJ to be a success.

I’d like to see what Bri Stool City says on this topic....................:cool2:

• Season before last...record breaking losing run
  • Last season...a fall from 2nd to mid-table in months
  • This season...8pts from the last 30pts available...so far

LJ regularly loses the plot and his ability to manage players, also changes the team every 5mins and makes random transfer window selections; makes "excuses" for everything and admits nothing. He may well be astute and bright but he needs to assist rather than lead.... i.m.o. he maybe still learning but isn't and continues to lose it.

Moyes or the like needs to be brought in and LJ needs to either step back or leave as we maybe midtable...ish but are 9pts from top 6 and only 5 from a relegation spot and we need to stop the rot.

Don't know him or never met him but we are going no-where with LJ as the guide

4 minutes ago, marmite said:

A number of posters on here have said of course they want him to succeed because that means the club will succeed and progress. I am in the same camp but many on here have also said they wouldn't come near the ground if someone like Neil Warnock was in charge regardless of results. That's a bit hypocritical. We all want success for the club whoever is in charge. Surely it's the club we support not the players or manager. They will come and go but the club will go on. Lees style of play of late has tested my resolve but I will always support City.

I think it is a bit "precious" for us to be taking such a view about Warnock, certainly at this level. I mean, we are not Real Madrid, are we? We're not Nottm Forest, let alone Real Madrid. Nor, indeed, are we Ipswich Town.

At this level, we are next to nothing, and not in any position to be sniffy about,  and thinking we are "better" than, other successful managers.

I wish we were;I wish we had some sort of track record at this level and above, a tradition, and history, to "protect" but we don't.

If Warnock did for us what he has done at Cardiff, I would take that. Then we could "move on" to whatever people think we "should" be doing at this level, and see how that goes.

2 hours ago, bearded_red said:

I actually haven’t seen anyone say they want City to lose. So as much as you may want to tell me not to say that, I don’t see how lying that I have seen that is the correct thing to do.

Well on the first page of the forum is someone saying they want us to lose to Ipswich and his post is liked by 4 people...so, they do.

When a new manager is appointed, the majority of fans make a decision to themselves about whether they 'like' the appointment or not. And the majority won't change their mind. Human nature I guess?

Plenty didn't 'like' the LJ appointment and lines were drawn. He was undeserving. He was unqualified. He lacked the experience. Etc etc. Those people (posters) have remained pretty much steadfast in their criticism for the past 2 years.

Plenty liked the idea of LJ and the moves the club were taking. A modern approach. A plan. Continuity. Those people (posters) have remained pretty much steadfast in their support and patience. 

Of course there are those in the middle and who've swayed one way or other over time.

Ultimately, no one likes to be wrong. or is it people want to be right?

For me, I like the intention and I like the plan, even if the execution hasn't always been right. 

If LJ goes, I wish him well and know it won't be for trying, and personally i'm glad I was supportive of him for that effort through out his time.

Yes super-fan I am. No, just my opinion. 

3 hours ago, Spike said:

Genuinely I don't think anyone wants to see him fail, I mean if the guy went on to win us the league would we genuinely have a fan who would dislike him after that? I think it simply comes down to results and reasoning behind them. LJ is a likeable guy when things are going his way but when results and performances turn sour he doesn't have the answers or seemingly the direction the fans want from him.

I think all managers are irritating when they make excuses, the issue is that LJ seems to have an "I didn't do anything wrong" air about him, it's either the players didn't execute his perfect plan or that they were unlucky... that doesn't wash when the fans can clearly see him making poor decisions and his explanations not lining up to what they've witnessed for themselves.

I think you have nailed the biggest problem - when someones reality doesn't align to what they are being told it brings anything and everything into question and the natural (in terms of what nature does) thing to do is to push out the anomaly and see if things improve. 

Archived