IGNORED

I like LJ and want him to succeed, am I alone on here?

reddogkev

4 hours ago, Undy English said:

Very likable chap. From people I know who've met him, they have nothing but good things to say, apparently very nice chap.

But is he the right man for the job? Sadly I don't think so. That said, wish him the best, as he's here for the long haul.

Thats a big part of the problem. That team needs a b**tard in charge of them who has no links to the club and will kick some butt. Oh and as well as being too nice, Lee is not a very good manager.

36 minutes ago, ontariored said:

LJ has been in charge since February 2016. While wishing the club success, owners and management at the club have to ask; with two full seasons in charge, shouldn't there be consistent results by now if LJ was the "right" person at the helm of the team? 

That's the annoying thing, in the big big picture there's been some progress but we all know it's not as simple as that. 

And I feel SL only looks at the big picture 

Ferguson was appointed United manager on 6/11/86 and as the story goes, was 1 defeat away from the sack when they went to Forest on 7/1/90 in the FA Cup 3rd round. Ex-Bristol City and England U21 Mark Robins scored the only goal of the game and the rest, as they say, is history.

LJ was appointed 6/2/16, and same number of days takes him to 9/4/19: if he hasn't sorted out this shitshow by the time we face West Brom at home that evening, then so long Lee, thanks for the memories and kindly shut the door as you leave.

5 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

Comments like this are what is wrong with debating on the internet. The term 'happy clapper' is not funny, witty, and doesn't even describe opposing opinions all that well. It ignores the fact that we, on the other side of this debate, also see very obvious flaws, but want to continue as there isn't a magical solution in changing it all up at this time of the season, and that we know he isn't going anywhere regardless of how many tantrums are thrown on here.

Hi Lee, you still here

6 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Seriously, wondering how many want LJ to stay?  I only ask as all the talk on here seems to be LJ should be sacked etc, our play is the worst ever, can't be bothered to go to football, blah blah blah.

I don't wish the sack on LJ, I want to see him succeed.  He's a good man who has his head screwed on, understands the City business strategy, doesn't kick up a stink when 20 million pounds worth of talent have to be sold, and has given me the finest night of my life at Ashton Gate, one that will likely never be surpassed.

I have accepted that under Lee, the team has terrible runs of form and sometimes loses 4 or 5 games in a row.  I've also seen several very impressive games and a team that is trying to grow in the Championship.

This takes time, it's not as if SL has tried to bankroll a promotion challenge.  Even our most expensive striker, £5.3 million, is peanuts for this league. 

Yes, Lee has his flaws, but has it really been that bad recently?  It's only the losses to Reading and Preston that were inexplicably poor. Clearly things will get worse if we lose to Ipswich, but I'm tipping a 1-1 draw, and then a win against Millwall.

COME ON LEE, prove the doubters wrong!

P.S, If I am alone, so be it!  I love a bit of solitude every once in a while!

Just out of interest, what did you make of his interview after the Leeds game ?

6 hours ago, phantom said:

Spot on - 100% agree with this

It's almost like he is ahead of time we how he seems to over think everything, it reminds me of when Benny was in charge he was described as being ahead of the time and the game wasn't ready for him

Am convinced LJ would be better off behind the scenes studying all his stats and feeding the information to a strong leader

Lot in this mate.  I don't wish him any ill. Like many others he has been put in an impossible situation. He's beginning to behave like McInnes, it's a bad sign that the team changes in a bewildering fashion from game to game

urggh urggh urggh.jpg

16 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Ferguson was appointed United manager on 6/11/86 and as the story goes, was 1 defeat away from the sack when they went to Forest on 7/1/90 in the FA Cup 3rd round. Ex-Bristol City and England U21 Mark Robins scored the only goal of the game and the rest, as they say, is history.

LJ was appointed 6/2/16, and same number of days takes him to 9/4/19: if he hasn't sorted out this shitshow by the time we face West Brom at home that evening, then so long Lee, thanks for the memories and kindly shut the door as you leave.

We will be down by then mate.and the biggest proplem you forget is he’s not Alex Ferguson,he did not take Barnsley or oldham to European glory before coming here .in fact he was on the verge of being sacked by Barnsley until a family friend offered him a job on bristol

4 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

We will be down by then mate.and the biggest proplem you forget is he’s not Alex Ferguson,he did not take Barnsley or oldham to European glory before coming here .in fact he was on the verge of being sacked by Barnsley until a family friend offered him a job on bristol

Well, you can prove anything with facts.

Of course i want him to succeed, and as quickly as possible. I say 'Of Course' because I am a City fan, supporter for 50 years and want the best for the owner, the manager, the players and the fans BUT there are some idiots on this forum who are not City fans and wish to cause a flurry of media activity on here and in the evil post by being confrontational and downright negative.

Lj has given us some of the best performances, results and highlights for many years and he clearly likes the Club and the owner. We will see tomorrow and Sunday what sort of reaction he gets from the players to our poor run but i am much less interested in the reaction to our results by the many 'non-supporters' who post on OTIB. THe absolute worst cases are those who think they are funny by posting 'happy clapper' and 'Hello Lee' to anyone wanting to be positive and supportive. To them i say, "are you Darrellin disguise" and "get off our forum".

7 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Seriously, wondering how many want LJ to stay?  I only ask as all the talk on here seems to be LJ should be sacked etc, our play is the worst ever, can't be bothered to go to football, blah blah blah.

I don't wish the sack on LJ, I want to see him succeed.  He's a good man who has his head screwed on, understands the City business strategy, doesn't kick up a stink when 20 million pounds worth of talent have to be sold, and has given me the finest night of my life at Ashton Gate, one that will likely never be surpassed.

I have accepted that under Lee, the team has terrible runs of form and sometimes loses 4 or 5 games in a row.  I've also seen several very impressive games and a team that is trying to grow in the Championship.

This takes time, it's not as if SL has tried to bankroll a promotion challenge.  Even our most expensive striker, £5.3 million, is peanuts for this league. 

Yes, Lee has his flaws, but has it really been that bad recently?  It's only the losses to Reading and Preston that were inexplicably poor. Clearly things will get worse if we lose to Ipswich, but I'm tipping a 1-1 draw, and then a win against Millwall.

I want LJ to win every game BCFC play.

The trouble is he is not quite achieving this.

1 minute ago, glen humphries said:

9 wins in 42 , come on give him a break 

You are right, and have proven so by the fine use of statistics.

8 wins, or fewer, out of 42 would be even worse.

Things are never as bad as they seem - and it was apparently a great performance against Leeds.

:angry:

He is Bristol City through and through and I would be disappointed to see him go as I have been with our last few managers,but he will get judged by results and unless he turns it around soon he will be on a very sticky wicket,losses against Ipswich and Millwall maybe the final straw.

Just now, foghornred said:

He is Bristol City through and through and I would be disappointed to see him go as I have been with our last few managers,but he will get judged by results and unless he turns it around soon he will be on a very sticky wicket,losses against Ipswich and Millwall maybe the final straw.

Here is the rub:

If SL ever has to sack LJ the backlash against the evil fans would be tremendous.

Don't think he would ever forgive us.

To me LJ is a “Meh” manager,as in,uninspiring and unexceptional.He doesn’t seem to say anything that makes people sit up and take notice.If he was a colour,it would be beige.Now I want us to be successful as a club,just can’t see it happening with LJ in charge.

2 hours ago, ontariored said:

LJ has been in charge since February 2016. While wishing the club success, owners and management at the club have to ask; with two full seasons in charge, shouldn't there be consistent results by now if LJ was the "right" person at the helm of the team? 

There are consistent results and that is the problem. Consistently unable to win!

Personally  I find it downright despicable that anyone should take their personal dislike of the Manager to the extent that they hope the club loses.  As far as Lee himself is concerned< I don't know him personally, but he has been pretty involved with the club both as a player and a Manager, and clearly would love to help Steve Lansdown to achieve his goal. I like Managers who are forward thinking and embrace technology as well, so in those respects, he fits the bill. He has my total support, that doesn't mean to that he doesn't make decisions that baffle me, but then he has more information and experience to go on, than I do from the terraces. 

Isn't this the real issue?  Look... SL is happy to keep LJ because Lee has bought into the 'prospective' which the 'boardroom family meeting' clearly laid out when he first joined..There will be no push for the Premier League.. just happy to tread water.  Occasionally watering the grow bag...Selling three of your best players in the summer should tell us that. Hello. duh! 

However, if this bad run and inconsistent form increases discontentment across the fan base that may force SL's hand - just like he had no choice when Gary Johnson forced his hand after the dressing room outburst at Plymouth Argyle.  But rest assured whoever gets the role it won't be a big name manager, or, someone of Warnocks ilk even - in other words someone who is not content with keeping to the 'prospective'.

Stop dreaming and see this for what it is...

An earlier poster mentioned about how some of us were underwhelmed at his appointment. I was and while he did a reasonable job to dig us out of the bottom three, I still had reservations that he was too inexperienced at this level. I also didn't feel comfortable about the fact that he spent a very significant proportion of his playing career with the same manager. Nothing to do with nepotism, more to do with a very narrow experience of management.

First full season the run of 11 points out of sixty six dampened any enthusiasm of the first three months of that season.

Again in his second full season, it was very good until the Wolves game. What a farce that was. Go a goal up against ten men and a very big mistake of leaving Flint up front to get a second goal. We all know about FF's mad moment and then Pack failing to find row Z and instead conceding a stupid free kick.

The farce continued to the last day of the season when our side sat in their deckchairs while Sheffield United steamed into a 3-0 half time lead.

I posted on here several times in the last month of last season that if we started this season as we were finishing the last one, then we could he in deep trouble.

After a slow start, the run of four wins was welcomed but of course it could not last. We are now on the annual run of poor results and now stand at 8 points from 33.

I'm just amazed that some of our supporters, still think we are comfortably mid table and that LJ is the right person for the job.

And even more astounded that Lansdown appears to be content with another wasted year.

I've always liked LJ and have always wanted him to succeed, not least because he undoubtedly has passion for our club.

However, alarm bells are ringing very loudly. Our form since January has been woeful and the way we are playing recently has a relegation battle written all over it. Two shots on target in the last two games says it all and our style of play is often uninspiring.

What worries me the most is that LJ is failing to get a team he has mostly built playing cohesively and imposing itself on the opposition. Things on the pitch just don't feel right.

9 hours ago, reddogkev said:

“Prove the doubters wrong Lee’ ....WTF?!

LJ has had his chance to prove the doubters wrong? He’s had his 3 transfer windows and failed? He’s had chances and bad runs past his failed promises and we are currently no better of then when he took over?! Why do you guys want to give him yet another chance?! 

This behaviour actually borders on madness!

Sorry Kev, that is not something I can agree with.  Did you not see Wigan, Rotherham?  I’ve missed the two Sheffield games and Leeds.  So that’s 4 out of 15 that I thought were inexplicably poor.  Quite a few others I thought we were poor, but not inexplicably poor.

Swansea has been our one true stellar performance this season.  Throw in two or three other decent, but that’s it.  I think we could easily be 4-5 points worse off based on my view of performance v actual results.  Very subjective though.

I want LJ to do well, would be great if he did, but I will be critical of him if I think he deserves criticism - which imho I think he does at the mo’.  I’ve praised him too during his time here but he is on a downward trend and we can’t ignore that.  Last season’s start earned him some credit, but he is rapidly using that up.  I thought recruitment was decent in the summer, but he is struggling to get a tune out of them.

@Robbored will tell us there’s no vacancy.....true.

@Robbored will tell us about the project, sustainability as if none of us are any the wiser about it!

@Robbored will tell us SL won’t get rid of LJ with 28 games to go.....but he can’t be sure that won’t change with 27, 26 or even 25 to go.  None of us know the impact of the next 1,2,3 or more games.  To suggest so, is arrogant.  But just imagine 3 defeats, 7 on the trot?  Hope that doesn’t happen, whoever is in charge.  Having said all of that he’ll ask MA to do the sacking, he won’t do it.

Its not a great time being a City fan.  We want us to do well, but it isn’t happening at the mo’.  Someone, SL, or MA, needs to work out the root cause....assuming they aren’t the root cause themselves.  

Wake up

9 hours ago, Dredd said:

I think Lee is a very likeable guy who clearly loves the club and for that reason alone I absolutely want him to succeed. 

But i don’t think he’s the man for the job 

That is pretty much word for word what I felt when Tinnion was in charge....and when Millen was in charge....nice guys who just didn’t seem to have what it takes to kick on and really succeed as a manager. At least Millen accepted he was best suited as a no.2 and has done well it seems in that position elsewhere....LJ is the latest in the ‘nice guy who loves our club’ mould....and so we go round again....McAllister next?

Don’t get me wrong, I love all those blokes....Tinnion - awesome, loyal player....Millen - gave everything for the shirt.... LJ - obviously cared a lot for our club as a player, I never disliked him as a player although I know lots who did...McAllister - one of my faves in the seemingly never ending list of great left backs we’ve had.....but, I never thought any of them would make particularly great managers....

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sorry Kev, that is not something I can agree with.  Did you not see Wigan, Rotherham?  I’ve missed the two Sheffield games and Leeds.  So that’s 4 out of 15 that I thought were inexplicably poor.  Quite a few others I thought we were poor, but not inexplicably poor.

@Robbored will tell us there’s no vacancy.....true.

@Robbored will tell us about the project, sustainability as if none of us are any the wiser about it!

@Robbored will tell us SL won’t get rid of LJ with 28 games to go.....but he can’t be sure that won’t change with 27, 26 or even 25 to go.  

People need reminding Dave.......There’s are plenty of negativity on here and I just question that negativity with valid points 

Its not a great time being a City fan.  We want us to do well, but it isn’t happening at the mo.

i assume you weren’t around in the early 80s Dave, tumbling down the leagues. That was worst time in the 50+ years that I’ve been attending AG. Thankfully there was no social media back then but now I laugh when I read how shite it all is. Those years were dreadful with the club very nearly going bust........this current bip in results is bugger all when compared to those dark days..............:facepalm:

Archived