IGNORED

Jamie Paterson

11 hours ago, Gratbot said:

I've been debating since Saturday about whether to start a new JP thread or not.

Rightly or wrongly, he's this year's scapegoat. I accept that he has been, at times, woefully out of form for almost 12 months now.

Despite that I can see why Johnson is persevering with him. When on form he is without doubt our best and most creative player in the squad and and up there with the best in the division. People talk about how pivotal Reid was to our play and they're correct, but JP was just as crucial in that number 10 role behind him. The timing of his virus was awful and I don't think he was really given long enough to recover and come back at full strength which could go a long way to explaining his poor form in the first half of the year.

He's had a full preseason to rebuild strength now and some fans are refusing to see it but I am seeing glimpses of him returning to his old self and I think LJ is too. For the record, I don't agree with him being shoehorned in at left mid. I think he's wasted out there and impacts the team negatively as he doesn't help out the fullbacks in the way that our other wingers do. His best position is, and always has been in the hole behind an intelligent and hard working striker. His first few performances this season were bad and he came into criticism rightly so, but he has picked up in his last few performance and at Leeds on Saturday it was a poor attacking performance from the team but I thought he looked the most likely to make something happen. We saw a few of his trademark turns and weaving in and out of players. He didn't assist and he didn't score but I found his performance encouraging and has given me some confidence that he's returning to form. 

It's time for Johnson to stop chopping and changing, play his favourite 4-4-1-1 formation and give JP and another forward a run of games together and let them build up a partnership. I think the most likely player is Weimann but I'd be just as happy with Matty. 

All I'm asking from the anti-Paterson brigade is that they don't moan and write the game off as soon as they see him in the starting line up but try and wipe from their memories his 2018 form and try and judge his current performances on their individual merits. I genuinely believe he's the key to our turnaround.

He was decent against leeds; caused them all sorts of problems!

Personally, I think Pato's 'golden era' in 2017 is overstated. Sure, he had a few good games. But I don't think it was any more than that. I'm reminded of the situation in which many viewed Pisano as our saviour after his long lay-off last season.

I just can't see Pato doing anything meaningful for this club any more. That said, if Johnson keeps picking him, I hope he's right and I'm wrong. 

I know it's getting back to basics but were not a team on the front foot at this time.

Against Millwall. Can you imagine that they will have anyone playing that wont put their foot in? For me Pato just doesn't have that in his game. Ok no doubt he has some skill and on his day can produce a bit of magic.

If it gets tough he hides, tends to time his arrival at the ball in what should be a 50/50 late, meaning he doesn't have to make a tackle.

Sorry but not my type of player, if we end up in a dog fight come the end of the season would you prefer Pats or a Steve Galliers?

5 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

He bottles tackles aswell

Closes down much quicker though. I've never seen Pato further back than Kelly when tracking his man. O'Dowdas work rate is more of an asset off the ball, especially in a strangled system with which we're struggling to even retain possession at the moment.

What a pleasant change to see a well argued post and thread.

U have been critical of JP all season but noone wants more than I to see him return to his best. 

His performance at Leeds on and off the ball was his best this season. 

We will watch his impact tonight with interest and hope Ljs judgement proves as successful as it usually does 

3 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

We will watch his impact tonight with interest and hope Ljs judgement proves as successful as it usually does 

...So very rarely then?

I count 2 off the top of my head in 3 years in charge. Tammy. Bobby.

And then a fair few negatives to his judgement I.e. Ayling, Freeman, Magnússon, Pisano, Wright, Baker, Djuric, Engvall, Diedhiou.

Who either have improved elsewhere, or are not or have not been utilised to their full extent. Or don't simply suit the 'system'.

Whatever the latter is this season.

42 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Really impressive tonight.

Much better tonight

One of our only decent players first half and really played well second.

Agree

Looks fitter than he has and stronger.

Yes, he battled for balls, ran hard and sparked the touchline scuffle!

He really did work his socks off tonight. Still a bit frustrating at times with his final decision near the box,

Yes, one occasion where he had chance to open himself up and feed the overlapping Eliasson (I think), but a heavy touch trying to work shooting position on right foot, and chance lost

but I have seen a gradual improvement from Pato, and i believe he's now moving towards being the player he was pre Christmas last year. 

Archived