IGNORED

Papering over the cracks

Fordy62

I didn’t see anything tonight to make me excited about the future under LJ. 

Nice to get 3 points, yes. But we won because Ipswich were comical. Almost at a standard where the g*s would give them a good game. 

I fear that ironically this win may put us more in a relegation battle than a defeat might have. 

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Nice to get 3 points, yes. But we won because Ipswich were comical. Almost at a standard where the g*s would give them a good game. 

I fear that ironically this win may put us more in a relegation battle than a defeat might have. 

Well it’ll keep LJ here to at least Christmas with that win..

So you may be right. 

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I completely agree fella.

delighted with a very much needed 3 points but my word Ipswich were poor. 

18 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Sometimes you need wins like that. What I did see that was positive was a refusal to roll over and just bemoan our luck and a team that are still clearly playing for the manager (I know how much that hurts some posters on here). 

When you consider how we have been performing, we did some good things, shame that Walsh's effort in the first few minutes didn't go in because I think we would have run out comfortable winners with that extra bit of confidence. Eliasson and Kelly absolutely murdered the left flank in the second half, which was closer to what they were doing to teams a few weeks ago. Hang in there Fordy, I don't think we have turned a corner quite, but I think we just might be poking our heads around it. 

This season (after selling 3 key players) was always going to be difficult where points are more important than performance. We will finish comfortably between 10-15th which is acceptable in a transition season.

We also need to release we are Bristol city not BRAZIL! 

7 minutes ago, Spoons said:

This season (after selling 3 key players) was always going to be difficult where points are more important than performance. We will finish comfortably between 10-15th which is acceptable in a transition season.

Don’t think anyone thinks we are Brazil but it is how our defeats come about. Play well for a bit then drop 4-5 in a row. Get a couple wins and draws and undo it with another losing streak. Then there are the performances. Fair enough we are about where I predicted we would finish but have always been looking for a bit more consistency. Granted I get that is hard in this league and if you are going to be midtable but we have been far from consistent this season and that is the same trait that has held us back under LJ. 

12 minutes ago, Spoons said:

We definitely won't finish 10th

16 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Sometimes you need wins like that. What I did see that was positive was a refusal to roll over and just bemoan our luck and a team that are still clearly playing for the manager (I know how much that hurts some posters on here). 

When you consider how we have been performing, we did some good things, shame that Walsh's effort in the first few minutes didn't go in because I think we would have run out comfortable winners with that extra bit of confidence. Eliasson and Kelly absolutely murdered the left flank in the second half, which was closer to what they were doing to teams a few weeks ago. Hang in there Fordy, I don't think we have turned a corner quite, but I think we just might be poking our heads around it. 

What concerned me was that after the bright 2 minutes which should’ve given confidence, we quickly fell back to type.  We ended the first half looking bereft of ideas and desire.  The desire bit dumbfounds me.  Run around like a headless chicken at least.

Second half was better, a few differences in set up made a difference.

But we can’t kid ourselves that was a great performance...but it is something to build from.

We were too lightweight up front and the change to bring Fam on was correct and tbf he did well

Much better second half but Ipswich and their support are pretty awful, like a morgue but fair play to those of us who made it to Portman road tonight and backed the team, about 300 - 400 isnt bad for a miserable weds night in Ipswich

25 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Fordy, you're  virtually myopic about Lee Johnson and sometimes bi-polar.

I can quote you on both your admiration and your detest for LJ.

He's neither good (atm) nor bad - he's frighteningly average and continues with his his feast or famine results. I suspect a manager who averages his results with win- loss- draw- draw - loss - win would be less vilified. 

If anyone believes that based on our expenditure and subsequent team that we should be challenging for play offs is bonkers. We are not going down but we are unlikely to go up any time soon along with 21 other Championship club's - many of whom are bigger in budget, fan base and status.

43 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Fair comments, but if we beat Millwall now, suddenly the world seems a different place...

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

Fair comments, but if we beat Millwall now, suddenly the world seems a different place...

Of course it will.  That’s football.  Doesn’t hide we have issues, but it can spark confidence.  Was dreading playing Millwall had we lost tonight.  We didn’t and LJ needs to feed off 3 points.

The standard of the match was appalling.

I would like to see us play how we did in the first 5 minutes for a whole match. Aggressive and exciting. We just slipped back in to what we've seen for last x months after that.

A comical goal got us back into it and any other side than Ipswich would have beaten us tonight. I mean they have jokers like that Harrison in their squad when frankly he is an average League 1 player at best.

Much work to be done but hoping for 3 points and a good performance Sunday. If LJ goes on a similar run we ended tonight from Sunday onwards then I think he will be gone. But you never can tell with LJ as we could win Sunday and then suddenly we could be on a winning run that lasts a bit. Such an odd manager and I think the losing runs drive fans mad. I suspect it will be the thing that costs him his job in the long run.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

What concerned me was that after the bright 2 minutes which should’ve given confidence, we quickly fell back to type.  We ended the first half looking bereft of ideas and desire.  The desire bit dumbfounds me.  Run around like a headless chicken at least.

But we can’t kid ourselves that was a great performance...but it is something to build from.

Funnily enough Dave I said this on the terraces before the terrible performance against Preston. I made the point then though that this seems to have been something endemic in the Club for many seasons and across successive Managers. I have lost count of how many games over the years where we started brightly, but when we don't actually score, we seem to lose faith in the way we are playing. It's almost like a club trait, rather than something that comes from Management. The only season I can clearly think of when we persisted with our style for 90 minutes on a regular basis, was our promotion season, and I sometime got the impression that was because we only had one way to play.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Shouldn’t Lee’s team be almost built now, he started sometime ago.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I think you have to factor in how poor a team Ipswich were. I hope this breeds some confidence and continuity for the team but as has been said there are much tougher tasks ahead.

Archived