IGNORED

Liam Walsh and Joe Morrell

Port Said Red

I like him, he looks forward, can see good angles and is full of confidence, that sometimes leads to him losing the ball when he tries to do too much under pressure, but that will come with experience. Anyone catch what his injury was? I would guess that Brownhill comes straight back in if he is not fit. 
Joe Morrell looked really busy, gave the ball  away a couple of times but went and got it back on each occasion. He may get some more time from the bench on Sunday as well. 

19 minutes ago, eardun said:

There was one pass from Walsh in the first half that may be our pass of the season so far - from deep to the right wing. Hope his injury is not too serious. 

With his weak foot too if I am on about the same pass. Real good player. 

8 minutes ago, DingleRed said:

Walsh 20.  Morrell 21. Brownhill 22. That's why he won't bench Pack.

And at the moment those 3 look a lot fresher than Pack. Pack could seriously do with a rest. Sometimes it is good to see a match from a different angle too. I’d have bo problems with a Walsh, Morrell and Brownhill midfield for a game. Lack some height but doesn’t seem to bother a team like Stoke with Allen and Woods. It can be done without a big midfielder is all I am saying. 

Still think Marlon is out of form, despite tonight’s win.  I know he’s not quick, but he looks to be treading water far too often over the last 8-10 games.

Would Be brave to leave him out on Sunday, but I would respect LJ if he did.  Think it would make a statement about selection.

9 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I like him, he looks forward, can see good angles and is full of confidence, that sometimes leads to him losing the ball when he tries to do too much under pressure, but that will come with experience. Anyone catch what his injury was? I would guess that Brownhill comes straight back in if he is not fit. 
Joe Morrell looked really busy, gave the ball  away a couple of times but went and got it back on each occasion. He may get some more time from the bench on Sunday as well. 

I think it was his knee he hurt. Hope it is only a knock as I really like him too. Tries to get the ball forward and works hard to get it back if he loses it. Would like to see more of him. Impressed with Morrell too. 

As a side note what’s happened to Brownhill’s yellows now, are they cleared or do they still stand as he only missed one match for his red? I thought he was going to be out for two, one for collecting yellows and one for his red?

And as for resting/dropping Pack, hard to drop your Captain isn’t it? LJ seems to be building him up psychologically and even though he might need a physical rest ( although he usually can play a good run of games) I don’t know what dropping him will do, but he certainly hasn’t been anywhere near the player he was.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I think it was his knee he hurt. Hope it is only a knock as I really like him too. Tries to get the ball forward and works hard to get it back if he loses it. Would like to see more of him. Impressed with Morrell too. 

As a side note what’s happened to Brownhill’s yellows now, are they cleared or do they still stand as he only missed one match for his red? I thought he was going to be out for two, one for collecting yellows and one for his red?

And as for resting/dropping Pack, hard to drop your Captain isn’t it? LJ seems to be building him up psychologically and even though he might need a physical rest ( although he usually can play a good run of games) I don’t know what dropping him will do, but he certainly hasn’t been anywhere near the player he was.

Why do you say it’s hard to drop your captain ?

8 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Morrell did not look out of place at all. Tried to keep it simple and play good sideways passes. Wouldn’t happily see him come off the bench again. 

Would* :laugh:

Him and Pack complimented each other well I thought. Morrell was excellent. Impressed. 

I've have seen Joe Morrell play several times a season in the last four years.

He has always struck me as a very promising young man.

He reads a game well, is firm in tackles and invariably finds a team mate with passes. He'll do the simple "keep the ball" sideways pass but more often is looking to go forward.

The biggest hindrance to his development is that he may be too similar in style to Liam Walsh. Playing them together may not be sensible tactically.

1 minute ago, ashton_fan said:

If he wanted to drop Pack but have more experience why not give Hegeler a run out? He used to be inconsistent but certainly has ability and could complement the younger players.

Very good idea.

And let's not forget that Morrell has played a full season in League Two, so may be more ready than we think.

9 minutes ago, harrys said:

Why do you say it’s hard to drop your captain ?

On the whole it’s just not done is it?

The Captain tends to be the leader on the pitch, an experienced player who the players respect. He is there to ensure the managers instructions are adhered to, he is the link from the bench. He should be the one to dig in and lead by example, get the best out of other players, hand out rollockings and console when needed. 

To drop your Captain is saying he got it wrong, and you got it wrong too. If he misses games through injury you both get to save face, but to drop him doesn’t send a positive message out to players who look up to him. It might be a positive if there are other players who want the chance to step in to his shoes, but I’m not seeing anyone worthy who consistently plays, maybe only Webster would be my choice.

That said keeping your faith in someone clearly struggling for form beyond being given a reasonable chance is equally damaging and doesn’t give a positive message out either. 

Look, I’m not saying I’m right, just how I see it, that’s all. 

13 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

If he wanted to drop Pack but have more experience why not give Hegeler a run out? He used to be inconsistent but certainly has ability and could complement the younger players.

I don’t think he has been fit and available enough over the couple of years he has been here. We would be having a different Captain every week if we start going down the Hegler, Pisano type route.

I spoke about quality and experience at this level etc on another thread.

When you have the likes of Smith injured, Pack out of form....we are left with Odowda, Brownhill, Walsh and Morrell. I won't count our 'wingers' of Elliason, Watkins, Adalunkin.

With those four players available for midfield...how does anyone expect us to be better than what we are at the moment? Seriously?

No doubting they have ability...but a Midfield of out of form Pack, injured Smith, Odowda, Brownhill, Walsh and Morrell...how does anyone think those midfielders are good enough to be anything more than mid table in this league...and that's at a push. The Club see Hegeler as a defender.

Defence is fine, and is top 6 quality imo.

Midfield...Average quality...average/below average experience at this level.... to compete against better quality and vastly more experienced midfielders in this league....they are doing well considering. It's no surprise we are inconsistent....and with Smith injured, it's no surprise that Pack has lost his form...imagine how nervous he must be with such inexperience and quality around him. Playing like a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Then take the rest of the team...Weimann and Watkins...experienced but they are average quality in this league. Mid table players. Pato...quality...but never been the same since virus.

The rest all inexperienced at this level. The majority of our midfield and Front players wouldn't walk into most of the top 10 clubs imo.

The point i'm making...we are imo...a mid table side, getting results that a mid table side would get.

As for Walsh and Morell... got potential...but no way are they good enough to make us better than what we already are imo.

This squad needs more experienced better quality players in midfield and up front to climb the league.

The Clubs ethos of buying young promising players to develop and gain experience is fine...but imo, this season we are too lop sided in midfield and up front. Not enough quality with experience to help develop these youngsters.

Unless we get a couple in with Quality and experience in January, then I can see us being mid to lower by the end of the season.

It's just not sustainable as it is over the whole of the season imo.

10 hours ago, Super said:

I wasnt that impressed with Walsh tbh. He got caught in possesion far too much tonight.

The way he plays he will get caught now and again, he is still very young and each game will help him gain experience. Once when he did get caught at the edge of our box it seemed to me he should have had a shout from elsewhere which didn't come. One thing I would say is I would rather have a player get caught out now and again (as his overall game seems to look for decent productive forward passes), rather than just lump it. I think the positives will far outweigh the negatives with Walsh, and he does seem to have that bit of class about him.

13 hours ago, Cider red said:

I'd bench Pack who looks burnt out. Offers nothing at the moment. Walsh/morrell/brownhill give us lots more energy.

Agree about Marlon. It's a great shame but he seems to have lost the confidence to deliver those killer disguised passes that were so important last season and early this season. Watched the game on live streaming and he seemed to be absent last night.

Joe Morrell has been around for what seems like decades. As the commentator said he is a highly technical, inventive player. Great shame that Liam is injured but it means that Joe deserves to start on sunday IMO.

urggh urggh urggh.jpg

Archived