IGNORED

Is being a footballer boring!?

CyderInACan

I'd have thought so, there was a very honest statement from Rory Fallon as why he was leaving football to start up an ice cream business with his wife:

Fallon added: "It was my passion as a kid, but once I became a professional it changed for me, it became a job and I saw it as a job and I was very mercenary about football.

"Do I want another 18 years as a coach with the game so fickle? My coach at Torquay was sacked after four games. That's not even an opportunity.

"I don't see that as something you can really rely on, that's why I wanted the business."

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

They’re (at some levels) very well remunerated but isn’t it quite a boring life? Training and playing, eating this and that that as dictated to by the club. Insta just seems an endless trail of watching tv or beach holidays. What else do they do!?

Sit in their Ferrari's and cry about how boring they are i'm sure 

• Admin

They’re (at some levels) very well remunerated but isn’t it quite a boring life? Training and playing, eating this and that that as dictated to by the club. Insta just seems an endless trail of watching tv or beach holidays. What else do they do!?

Maybe, but they are not alone in this

Try standing still for hours on end 

Image result for guard buckingham palace

I wondered how boring it would be married to Pep. Pretty boring I’d imagine. I like football but not that much, plus I’d have to watch two cities

Footballers have lives, just like the rest of us.  I've seen them on the golf course,  in B&Q buying bits for home repairs and improvements, in supermarkets, at the local hop on a Saturday night, in the pub on Sunday afternoons, at the park with their kids and on the beach with their families.  Most have hobbies and interests outside football too.

They generally live in nice houses, drive nice cars and have pretty wives.

Just like other walks of life, some are sensible with their money, behaviour and diets and some not.

Most of the ones I've known stay in and watch TV, play computer games, and have an early night on Fridays.

Some of the naturally talented players don't need to work so hard but most need to work hard in training and look after themselves better.

Well, struggling to stay awake on the night shift in a shitty chemical works, I was acutely aware how boring their lives must be.

Mind you, as most of them are pigshit thick dullards, listening to their (c)rap on those dumbarse headphones....they are welcome to it. (Yes, I've had not much sleep, and grumpy as ****!!)

9 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

The bit that rarely gets mentioned is the travelling, sitting on a team coach for hours on end strikes me as being very boring.

The importance of getting a good team spirit, travelling a few hours with mates isn't a chore, travelling a few hours with guys you're not really getting on with then would be.

49 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Well, I just saw Jack Hunt up at Cribbs walking around on his own......he looked bored 5h1tless

Presumably his missus was with him but had dropped her shoulder, cut inside, and managed to leave him scratching his head and wondering where she’d got to.  

23 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Presumably his missus was with him but had dropped her shoulder, cut inside, and managed to leave him scratching his head and wondering where she’d got to.  

But Bakes came out of nowhere to cover and took her the **** out just outside New Look. He's now out injured for 4 weeks with a stiletto to the shin.......true story.

12 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Ok then give me an example? 

Cristiano Ronaldo - An incredibly hard worker, truly dedicated to working both whilst playing and training, and to going the extra mile and beyond in his personal time to fitter at 33 than the vast majority of players are at 23. He appears, from the outside, granted I don't know the man, to truly thrive on the aspect of football that requires hard work - being in top physical shape week in, week out. I highly doubt he finds being a footballer boring, in fact, I think he absolutely loves it and it is his dream job.

Jon Parkin - Basically the opposite in every way. (Good article from the BBC - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45460600). He obviously did find some of the hard work involved tiresome and 'boring'. Other than playing matches, he seemed to find his enjoyment outside of matches and training.

People enjoy different things, some would be bored with loads of spare time, some would love it.

Never much liked Kevin Keegan but reminded of his response when asked by a hack if he was 'feeling the pressure' under treat of the sack?

"Pressure? Try telling that to an unemployed Scunthorpe steelworker worrying about how he's going to feed his four kids? Get real."

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

The bit that rarely gets mentioned is the travelling, sitting on a team coach for hours on end strikes me as being very boring.

And staying in hotels away from families for days at a time.

I know some members of our squad are heavily invested in local charities, the obvious one being CHSW and do lots of bits and pieces behind the scenes, in their spare time.

4 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

They can have a go at grafting on a building site for a few weeks if the want , I’ll gladly swap , as long as I can still have me bacon sarnies and 3 sugars in my tea 

• Admin
4 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Never much liked Kevin Keegan but reminded of his response when asked by a hack if he was 'feeling the pressure' under treat of the sack?

"Pressure? Try telling that to an unemployed Scunthorpe steelworker worrying about how he's going to feed his four kids? Get real."

Joe Bryan did a similar, if I recall correctly, ahead of our FA Cup game with West Ham (the one where they won thanks to a goal from an ineligible player) when asked by a journalist about the pressure of that game. He replied “people talk about footballers being pressured but my father* literally has people put their life in his hands every day, that’s real pressure”

*if anyone is unaware his father is a heart surgeon.

4 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Holloway said almost exactly the same thing. I didn’t realise he had nicked it from KK, but always thought it was the wisest thing ever to come out of his mouth. 

3 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

And staying in hotels away from families for days at a time.

Great bit in the Peter Crouch biography. He says that they seen so much time in hotels yet  they never see the place they're in, he's been asked if he's been to 'X' and has to really think as they don't get out at all.,  Also he actually puts the light on in the bathroom and leaves the door ajar so he can find his bearings when he wakes up during the night and needs a pee. I can imagine going a little stir crazy. 

Archived