IGNORED

Lansdown's Jobs For The Boys - The Famous Five

Boston Red

26 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

How are we stable and sustainable?

Because if decisions made in the past and now we make a loss. We then need Lansdown to chip in - and seemingly be grateful - or sell players to balance the books and avert FFP issues.

Meanwhile the cycle that causes this reliance on one man and his model continues.

I’m missing something in all of this. 

It’s SLs aim to establish sustainability and stability for the club but it’ll take time to achieve that. In fact the club might never be fully sustainable but as we all know the club ( like many others ) currently haemorrhages enormous  amounts of money so  to minimise that loss has to be a priority - business sense in other words.

Stability is achieved by having a consistent team of people running the football element of the club rather than destabilising the set up by changing managers whenever things aren’t going well - hence SL standing by LJ as he has in the past. 

Its slightly more complicated than the simplistic way that I’ve described it but I’m sure posters will get the drift.

15 hours ago, NickJ said:

As it happens I employ my son in 3 of my companies. I just haven't made him MD yet. 

If you really think its ok that such important positions are filled with someone clearly lacking the requisite experience, then you cannot possibly want what is best for Bristol City.

Hang on a second - Nick J - wades in on the SL nepotism/judgement row.....and.....

ADMITS he employs his OWN SON - but that’s OK because it doesn’t effect anyone.

If you can’t see the irony in that I’m flabbergasted.

No no, I’m not a racist, because, you see I only make racist comments at home, in front of my family, so, you see, I’m not a racist, because no one else hears. 

:facepalm:

47 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Hang on a second - Nick J - wades in on the SL nepotism/judgement row.....and.....

ADMITS he employs his OWN SON - but that’s OK because it doesn’t effect anyone.

If you can’t see the irony in that I’m flabbergasted.

Who I employ in my companies has nothing to do with you or anybody else, and affects neither you or anybody else.

An owner of a football club on the other hand is the custodian of the hopes, dreams and identity of thousands of supporters and the local community.

There is no irony other than your inability to interpret irony. 

11 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Christ, imagine the uproar if Louis Carey ever gets the manager's job!

The short version of this whole thread is - shock and horror - SL sometimes appoints the wrong man as the manager!

On the flipside, he does get it right sometimes.

I'd be absolutely delighted to see Louise as manager.

That is if he had a track record of management success at other clubs first.  That David Moyes played for us is part of the reason people would like to see him here.

The one attempt of which I'm aware to bring through managers and coaches as you would players was the "Liverpool boot room"

Which worked okay for a while with coaches of similar age but failed horribly at the first young manager brought through it - Roy Evans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boot_Room

37 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Who I employ in my companies has nothing to do with you or anybody else, and affects neither you or anybody else.

An owner of a football club on the other hand is the custodian of the hopes, dreams and identity of thousands of supporters and the local community.

There is no irony other than your inability to interpret irony. 

Well Nick, I already knew you were going to say exactly that - hence the analogy in my last paragraph, but still, no surprise, you can’t see your flawed logic.

A lie; big or small, is a lie.

Theft, no matter who it’s from is theft.

Raciscm, no matter who may see or hear it; is racism. 

And nepotism - regardless of who is effected is nepotism.

Regardless of whether SL is nepotistic or right to employ JL, you have exposed yourself as a hypocrite who has no right to pass judgement over him.

EDIT - is it just you and your son who work for your companies? If not, it will affect your other employees. Did you advertise the position and conduct a thorough interview process to select the most suitably qualified person for the position? - I think I know the answer. “Who I employ is no one else’s business” right? 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’m not sure about your first sentence! 

The rest I agree with 100%

Back in those days - I used to have an occasional drink with Colin in Clifton as he was a friend of a friend who played squash with him. It's what Colin told me at the time- he said that MR was almost certainly going to be appointed as SL had installed him as his No1 preferred candidate whilst everyone else wanted DM.

9 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Well Nick, I already knew you were going to say exactly that - hence the analogy in my last paragraph, but still, no surprise, you can’t see your flawed logic.

A lie; big or small, is a lie.

Theft, no matter who it’s from is theft.

Raciscm, no matter who may see or hear it; is racism. 

And nepotism - regardless of who is effected is nepotism.

Regardless of whether SL is nepotistic or right to employ JL, you have exposed yourself as a hypocrite who has no right to pass judgement over him.

EDIT - is it just you and your son who work for your companies? If not, it will affect your other employees. Did you advertise the position and conduct a thorough interview process to select the most suitably qualified person for the position? - I think I know the answer. “Who I employ is no one else’s business” right? 

What a drama queen - "exposed as a hypocrite" indeed. ?

Your stupidity is matched only by your apparent agenda you have against anything I say.

Thousands of businesses employ family members; this is not in itself nepotism, particularly if they are employed in a role commensurate with their experience and qualifications.

Nepotism is the favouring of family and friends over others who may be more qualified.

Notice the highlighted word. Do you seriously believe that at the age of 27 with minimal work and life experience Jon Lansdown was qualified to be Managing Director of a Championship football club?

Your last paragraph is particularly idiotic. I have no legal obligation to do any of the things you refer to, and nobody else would be in the slightest interested.

Nepotism is not illegal. It is not even necessarily bad. Others on this thread have quite rightly pointed out that SL would naturally want somebody he can trust in a position of legal power and responsibility.

However SL is not running a commercial enterprise the sole beneficiary of which is himself. He is the custodian of a community organisation which thousands of people have an emotional attachment to and therefore take great interest in.

Can you really not see the difference?

7 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Back in those days - I used to have an occasional drink with Colin in Clifton as he was a friend of a friend who played squash with him. It's what Colin told me at the time- he said that MR was almost certainly going to be appointed as SL had installed him as his No1 preferred candidate whilst everyone else wanted DM.

I actually rate Robins and wouldn't have objected to his appointment then or now . 

6 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Your stupidity is matched only by your apparent agenda you have against anything I say.

Thousands of businesses employ family members; this is not in itself nepotism, particularly if they are employed in a role commensurate with their experience and qualifications.

Nepotism is the favouring of family and friends over others who may be more qualified.

Notice the highlighted word. Do you seriously believe that at the age of 27 with minimal work and life experience Jon Lansdown was qualified to be Managing Director of a Championship football club?

Your last paragraph is particularly idiotic. I have no legal obligation to do any of the things you refer to, and nobody else would be in the slightest interested.

Nepotism is not illegal. It is not even necessarily bad. Others on this thread have quite rightly pointed out that SL would naturally want somebody he can trust in a position of legal power and responsibility.

However SL is not running a commercial enterprise the sole beneficiary of which is himself. He is the custodian of a community organisation which thousands of people have an emotional attachment to and therefore take great interest in.

Can you really not see the difference?

As I see that you can only resort to verbal insults I think that says a lot about you and your argument, so I have nothing more to say to someone like you.

11 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

As I see that you can only resort to verbal insults I think that says a lot about you and your argument, so I have nothing more to say to someone like you.

Good. That gives me license to say you are a bell-end with complete impunity.

Although I think it is clear I can do intelligent debate a lot better than you too.

9 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Good. That gives me license to say you are a bell-end with complete impunity.

Nick shouldn't you be busy with your three successful businesses (that only employ you and your son) and not spending all day on OTIB?  Given that you like to give a billionaire business advice?

Obviously very successful then given that you're actually behaving like a childish imbecile on an internet forum.....

EDIT _ if you think intelligent debate is resorting to abuse, then yes, you win. Congratulations, you're a great person, and role model for your son. Perhaps why he (only) works for you.

15 hours ago, billywedlock said:

I don't think Pat Lam would be at Bristol if that was the case 

Pretty sure Lansdown doesn't have the same level of input on rugby appointments as he does with the City.

Bristol's chairman, aka the idiot Chris Booy, is more likely to be in charge of that. He's a magnificent mixture of bluster and grand ambition with nothing to back it up and therefore much like a lot of the people involved with the City over the years.     

19 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

7 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

5 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

That lasted all of about 3 minutes then.

You are sensitive to a descriptive opinion such as stupidity, but happily dish out insults such as "hypocrite".

I think we're back to your previous word "irony".

12 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

Apart from your customers and suppliers.

Correct, but as I am the custodian only of my own business that does not have other stakeholders such as thousands in the local community, if my customers and suppliers are not happy with that, they will vote with their feet, leaving me the one to be adversely affected, nobody else.

2 minutes ago, NickJ said:

That lasted all of about 3 minutes then.

You are sensitive to a descriptive opinion such as stupidity, but happily dish out insults such as "hypocrite".

I think we're back to your previous word "irony".

Going round in twisted circles with @NickJ - there's a surprise.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

It’s SLs aim to establish sustainability and stability for the club but it’ll take time to achieve that. In fact the club might never be fully sustainable but as we all know the club ( like many others ) currently haemorrhages enormous  amounts of money so  to minimise that loss has to be a priority - business sense in other words.

Stability is achieved by having a consistent team of people running the football element of the club rather than destabilising the set up by changing managers whenever things aren’t going well - hence SL standing by LJ as he has in the past. 

Its slightly more complicated than the simplistic way that I’ve described it but I’m sure posters will get the drift.

Let’s be honest, in the real world this sustainability and on the pitch success is never going to actually happen though.

If the club’s policy is going to be selling our most valuable players each close season, this club will be in continual transition and is never going to be the finished article. I think we’ll probably be lucky to even tread water, let alone challenge for a promotion spot. Some fans may be ok with that, but I’m pretty sure many will get very bored and disillusioned when they realise the club doesn’t really share their ambition to see City competing at a higher level. I think most football fans are sustained by hope that there could be better days around the corner, but if you take the hope away, what are you left with?

Still we can always sit back and enjoy the football being produced by this year’s crop of rising stars!!!

Doing a great job aren’t we?!!!

5 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Let’s be honest, in the real world this sustainability and on the pitch success is never going to actually happen though.

If the club’s policy is going to be selling our most valuable players each close season, this club will be in continual transition and is never going to be the finished article. I think we’ll probably be lucky to even tread water, let alone challenge for a promotion spot. Some fans may be ok with that, but I’m pretty sure many will get very bored and disillusioned when they realise the club doesn’t really share their ambition to see City competing at a higher level. I think most football fans are sustained by hope that there could be better days around the corner, but if you take the hope away, what are you left with?

Still we can always sit back and enjoy the football being produced by this year’s crop of rising stars!!!

Let’s not overlook the fact that the three that moved on wanted to go. All three got far better deals and who can blame them?  It wasn’t as if the club wanted to sell them but when acceptable bids came in which Championship club would have turned that much revenue down? 

It was a definate loss to City on the playing side but the millions generated went partly into LJs war chest and partly towards off setting the deficit.

Thats the reality of how things are at virtually every other Championship club.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Let’s not overlook the fact that the three that moved on wanted to go. All three got far better deals and who can blame them?  It wasn’t as if the club wanted to sell them but when acceptable bids came in which Championship club would have turned that much revenue down? 

It was a definate loss to City on the playing side but the millions generated went partly into LJs war chest and partly towards off setting the deficit.

Thats the reality of how things are at virtually every other Championship club.

Completely agree, but for true sustainability, you’ll need to be constantly replacing all departing players with ones of equal standard, just to stand still.  Given our past record on recruitment, I really can’t see that happening in all honesty.

46 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

34 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

32 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

16 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

3 replies since the reply that you weren't going to reply.

Made all the more amusing that all three are insults and/or digs and none make any attempt to respond to the substantive issue, which I take it means you accept that I - and others that you have chosen not to challenge - have a point, which is fair enough.

If you are sensitive to being called stupid perhaps you'd like to refrain from factually incorrect insults such as "hypocrite" and the subtle bullying and patronization which litter your posts. I had - incorrectly it seems - assumed that you could handle a bit of mild abuse in return.

26 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Completely agree, but for true sustainability, you’ll need to be constantly replacing all departing players with ones of equal standard, just to stand still.  Given our past record on recruitment, I really can’t see that happening in all honesty.

I think this is one of the worrying things. Compared to the likes of Brentford, who are a selling club, our recruitment has been absolute litter in the main and has pissed millions against the wall, never to be recovered.

We don't know who is accountable for that, although I would hope that the head coach gives Ashton a hit list, rather than be presented with a fait acompli.

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Oh I have an agenda against you? Who is the drama queen?? ?

Well as you were not on the selection committee, interview process or otherwise, nor knew the criteria for the job - are you in a position to pass judgement on the decision of the board members to appoint JL? No - you are judging, from the outside with little or no facts or knowledge.

So you don't actually know if nepotism took place? Did you see, meet, hear the other candidates that where unduly disregarded as SL favoured JL?

Did I say legal obligation? No. So who is the idiot who can't read? 

So JL was a good appointment then?

Just as you say SL has an obligation to the fans - I could say you, as an employer have an obligation to society. Both equally intangible theories. Either way I don't disagree he is a custodian, but that doesn't mean he has made the wrong choice promoted a trusted ally which makes a long term statement about his families commitment to BCFC. 

9 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I think this is one of the worrying things. Compared to the likes of Brentford, who are a selling club, our recruitment has been absolute litter in the main and has pissed millions against the wall, never to be recovered.

We don't know who is accountable for that, although I would hope that the head coach gives Ashton a hit list, rather than be presented with a fait acompli.

Brentford are competing whilst almost breaking even (£0.9m loss in 16/17).  That is sone effort.

4 hours ago, Bri Stool City said:

there are many clubs that have past us by and many will continue to do so. We are seemingly quite happy to be mediocre and show why we cannot keep any decent players.

Seeing as were now occupy a higher league position than we did when SL took over, for every club that has passed us by there is more than one that has sunk below us.

Archived