IGNORED

Highland & Lowland Leagues

22A

OK, not City related, but we're all football fans with a few days until the next game. While reading this think of Celtic's millions.

Last season Selkirk finished 5th in Scotland's Lowland League. This season the club had been fined a total of £500 – half of which was suspended – for failing to fulfil two league fixtures so far this term. The Souters had indicated they would have difficulty paying a fine because finances were very low. However, the end finally came after the Lowland League asked for a further bond of £750. Selkirk chairman Jay-Dee Sharkey resigned last week after five weeks in the post, while club secretary Sheree Davison, who also wished to stand down, said she had been told by a Scottish Football Association representative that she had to stay on for the time being as a point of contact.

Meanwhile in the Highland League, take a break from lambasting City or laughing at Rovers and spare a thought for Fort William FC.

P19  W0  D2  L17  F(just)13  A136   Pts minus 17!  

17 minutes ago, 22A said:

OK, not City related, but we're all football fans with a few days until the next game. While reading this think of Celtic's millions.

Last season Selkirk finished 5th in Scotland's Lowland League. This season the club had been fined a total of £500 – half of which was suspended – for failing to fulfil two league fixtures so far this term. The Souters had indicated they would have difficulty paying a fine because finances were very low. However, the end finally came after the Lowland League asked for a further bond of £750. Selkirk chairman Jay-Dee Sharkey resigned last week after five weeks in the post, while club secretary Sheree Davison, who also wished to stand down, said she had been told by a Scottish Football Association representative that she had to stay on for the time being as a point of contact.

Meanwhile in the Highland League, take a break from lambasting City or laughing at Rovers and spare a thought for Fort William FC.

They cannot hope to match the mighty Buckie Thistle!

1 hour ago, 22A said:

They should know that 4 - 4 bloody 2 just doesn't work! ?

9 hours ago, 22A said:

I had to check this because I do follow those leagues thanks to friends and family connections, Fort William are "only" on -7 . They have been the very worst team for a long time now, and got docked 9 points for fielding an ineligible player at the end of last season in a game they lost 10 -0. This season they have lost several games by more than that.

It's a strange league in that it seems to have 1 team each season that is unbeatable, this season it is Cove Rangers (17 wins  from 17).

The Lowland League is headed by Kelty Hearts who have been trying to get into that league for 10 years. My brother had been going to odd games there for years so was really pleased for them. He was planning to go to more games, but sadly passed away 2 months ago. 

7 hours ago, phantom said:

Genuine question, how did you become a fan of Fraserburgh?

When we used to holiday in Magaluf i used to always go in the Tartan Arms.

One particular time I was wearing a Bristol City polo shirt. A bloke in there looked closely at the badge and piped up "Hows Scott Murray doing?"?

We became friends and he and his then wife invited me to "The Broch" for Hogmanay. That very day Fraserburgh FC were away to Keith.

It was cold and I had the Puma made Bristol CIty stadium coat on. ..and the amount of Fraserburgh fans spotting the badge and asking "How's Scott Murray doing?"?

Ive seen them over the years a few times and to be fair especially at Home at Bellslea Park the football is good to watch being right on the North Sea coast its pointless just trying to lump it upfield.

IMG_4159.JPG

23 hours ago, Keepers Ball said:

When we used to holiday in Magaluf i used to always go in the Tartan Arms.

One particular time I was wearing a Bristol City polo shirt. A bloke in there looked closely at the badge and piped up "Hows Scott Murray doing?"?

We became friends and he and his then wife invited me to "The Broch" for Hogmanay. That very day Fraserburgh FC were away to Keith.

It was cold and I had the Puma made Bristol CIty stadium coat on. ..and the amount of Fraserburgh fans spotting the badge and asking "How's Scott Murray doing?"?

Ive seen them over the years a few times and to be fair especially at Home at Bellslea Park the football is good to watch being right on the North Sea coast its pointless just trying to lump it upfield.

IMG_4159.JPG

Great win for your boys today, Cove Rangers had a 100% record before this game.

Fort William's record is not as bad as it seems, one of the goals conceded was definitely offside! The Scottish league is exploring ways of getting more Highland teams into the League set up. Inverness CT, Ross County, Elgin City and Peterhead are already in it. The downside of course will be a further lowering of standards in the Higland league.

3 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Fort William's record is not as bad as it seems, one of the goals conceded was definitely offside! The Scottish league is exploring ways of getting more Highland teams into the League set up. Inverness CT, Ross County, Elgin City and Peterhead are already in it. The downside of course will be a further lowering of standards in the Higland league.

Correct. The merging of two of Inverness' three teams and going into the league along with Ross, Elgin & Peterhead, ruined the Highland League for some years as the next layer down didn't have strong enough teams to move up. Now they are back to strength with some of their teams able to match clubs at the lower end of Scottish League 2. As are some Lowland league teams. Only three years ago Edinburgh City won through the system to replace East Stirling in League 2 and are now top of that division. A few more Highland or Lowland teams up would water those leagues down again.

Non league football is often a strange- but fascinating- set up in Scotland. You have the Highland and Lowland leagues which are affiliated to the SFA and offer a route into league football, and 'Junior' football which is governed by a separate association , the SJFA. It is only in the past ten years or so that junior sides have had a route into the Scottish Cup (there is no route into league football for them). Traditionally , Junior football in Scotland has been quite strong, and many of these teams do not want entry into , what is considered by many, the inferior leagues in Scottish league football.

6 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Non league football is often a strange- but fascinating- set up in Scotland. You have the Highland and Lowland leagues which are affiliated to the SFA and offer a route into league football, and 'Junior' football which is governed by a separate association , the SJFA. It is only in the past ten years or so that junior sides have had a route into the Scottish Cup (there is no route into league football for them). Traditionally , Junior football in Scotland has been quite strong, and many of these teams do not want entry into , what is considered by many, the inferior leagues in Scottish league football.

That's interesting, I have often wondered where some of those wonderful names in the cup come from, as they are not in the H or L leagues.  

On 02/12/2018 at 13:15, 22A said:

Correct. The merging of two of Inverness' three teams and going into the league along with Ross, Elgin & Peterhead, ruined the Highland League for some years as the next layer down didn't have strong enough teams to move up. Now they are back to strength with some of their teams able to match clubs at the lower end of Scottish League 2. As are some Lowland league teams. Only three years ago Edinburgh City won through the system to replace East Stirling in League 2 and are now top of that division. A few more Highland or Lowland teams up would water those leagues down again.

I remember a while back reading an interview with the Chairman of Wick Academy who was bemoaning the loss of finance from the "Local" derbies with the Inverness teams...... local being only 2 1/2 hours and 105 miles away! 

On 29/11/2018 at 21:09, 22A said:

P19  W0  D2  L17  F(just)13  A136   Pts minus 7!  

I thought I would bring this back up as this week I think Fort WIlliam confirmed themselves not just the worst team in football, but perhaps the unluckiest as well.  Their current record is 

P26 W0 D2 L24 F16 A187 GD -171 Points -7

Why are they are unlucky? Well, fresh from a 0-11 home defeat to League Leaders Brora Rangers in the week (by no means there first double figure loss this season), they were actually winning 1-0 against Wick Academy, when this happened. 

"38 Minutes – Match Abandoned – The Fort William keeper dived to make a save and looked to have got mud in his eyes. He had a fair bit of treatment and at that point the referee Billy Baxter has called a halt to proceedings."  
Bizarre for sure, especially as they are always telling us how tough they are in the Highlands. If you are wondering why they didn't just bring on a substitute goalkeeper, the answer may be in the fact that they have had 3 or 4 games postponed already due to the fact they couldn't raise a team, let alone a bench! 

I wonder if anyone ever starts the "By the far the greatest team chant" for them?

On 29/11/2018 at 21:09, 22A said:

Back in the early 90's i used to work in the offshore oil and gas industry and used to stay with family in Elgin. Back then they were in the Highland league I used to follow them in my time off and used to go to every game when I was off work, a great few years culminating in winning the title in 92-93, which they were later stripped of. Back then Inverness had 2 teams, both of which merged to form Inverness Caledonian Thistle. Away trips were amazing driving through the highlands, probably the best few seasons i've had going to football.

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

That top three seem a tad to good for that league, just look at their GDs!

And yet Cowdenbeath, who had hardly won a game all season, still managed to beat the winner of that league in a play off last season to retain their place in the Scottish League. 

"Continuing Cowdenbeath's woeful run, they finished 10th in the 2016–17 Scottish League Two. They avoided a third consecutive relegation, and dropping out of the SPFL, by winning a play-off against Lowland League champions East Kilbride.. The 2017–18 season was no improvement at all, with Cowdenbeath finishing last again and having to go through the play-off to avoid relegation. Their opponents were Highland League champions Cove Rangers and Cowdenbeath survived once again thanks to a 3–2 home win following an away goalless draw. "

Update time.

Cove Rangers who play in Aberdeen, beat the winners of the Lowland League H & A so now play Berwick over two legs which will be interesting if Cove win.

Currently Aberdeen is the largest town with only one club in the Scottish or EFL. Berwick's ground is the English side of the border and have a flag of St George on their shirt collars. If they fall out of the Scottish League would they go into the Highland League or could they apply to join the National League?

17 minutes ago, 22A said:

Update time.

Cove Rangers who play in Aberdeen, beat the winners of the Lowland League H & A so now play Berwick over two legs which will be interesting if Cove win.

Currently Aberdeen is the largest town with only one club in the Scottish or EFL. Berwick's ground is the English side of the border and have a flag of St George on their shirt collars. If they fall out of the Scottish League would they go into the Highland League or could they apply to join the National League?

The Lowland league would be their preference I would think. Selkirk were unable to fulfil their fixtures so presumably there is a place up for grabs.

42 minutes ago, 22A said:

Update time.

25 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The Lowland league would be their preference I would think. Selkirk were unable to fulfil their fixtures so presumably there is a place up for grabs.

You would think so. Presumably if they applied to join the English pyramid they would have to enter at tier 9 or something wouldn`t they?

Archived