IGNORED

Rugby given priority?

Redland

12 hours ago, Redland said:

I've followed city for 50 years and we always used to play on the Saturday after a mid week match until we started sharing the pitch with the rugby club.

I’ve supported them for a similar length of time and would remind you that during that period City’s midweek games were nearly always played on Tuesday evenings. We seem to be getting more Wednesday matches now, and not just away from home.

I get as irritated as many others by all this buggering about with fixtures after the original list has been published, which often causes me either to have to miss games I’ve paid upfront for as an ST holder, or to miss social commitments and let people down, or to have to make inconvenient changes to arrangements - or all of the above.

But on this occasion, as RedM and others have pointed out, it has nothing to do with rugby and more to do with recovery time for players, which it’s difficult to argue with. Getting home from East Anglia in the small hours of Thursday morning after playing Wednesday night is not ideal preparation for a Saturday game. We would place ourselves at an avoidable disadvantage if we didn’t move the fixture to Sunday, though it pains me to admit it, as someone who thinks football was always meant to be played first and foremost on Saturday afternoons.

It won’t be the first time that Bristol rugby play the day before City. It’s never been an issue before. The pitch will be fine - the ground staff have dealt with this scenario before and know exactly what they’re doing.

The only thing thing I notice is the worn markings on the pitch.

Must have seen the same thread about 50 times. City chose to change kick off to Sunday to allow extra recovery from Ipswich game.  Rugby fixtures were published after this and it was originally scheduled for Friday night before being moved to 1pm on Saturday.  BS have managed to mess about both Rugby and Football fans by moving kick offs for both to inconvenient time slots.  Well done.

1 minute ago, Robin Wood said:

So Arsenal play on Thursday then Sunday we play Wednesday but can't do saturday, didn't Millwall also play Wednesday as well so no advantage by playing Sunday 

It’s not about getting an advantage. It’s about extra recovery time for the players. 

15 hours ago, Redland said:

I've followed city for 50 years and we always used to play on the Saturday after a mid week match until we started sharing the pitch with the rugby club.

Historically, those midweek games were on a Tuesday not Wednesday.

Also clubs didn’t really focus on the “sports sciences”. Players played whatever and there wasn’t a focus on player recovery to ensure maximum performance opportunity. 

I know which I’d rather. 

A Bristol fan said to me they would rather play on a Sunday because of the amount of amateur games on in Bristol on a Saturday.He also said coming in from the Ashton rd end then into the lansdown stand you would be forgiven for thinking who ruled the roost at the gate anymore

17 hours ago, Redland said:

For me football is a Saturday afternoon event. I accept with tv coverage it may be moved but  I'm not going to turn up on Sunday lunchtime just to accommodate the rugby. 

as much as I'd agree, if City ever played in the PL, out fixtures are played whenever Sky dictate.....

5 minutes ago, marmite said:

Sunday is one thing but why 1.30 ko? Surely if it was for recovery reasons then 3pm would have given them more rest.

Part, if not all of the 1:30pm start must be down to the reputation of the Milwall ‘firm’. We all know they have a minority who just like to cause trouble at away  football grounds. They’ve done it st AG before more than once so having such a Sunday ko  time prevents them getting too pissed up

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Part, if not all of the 1:30pm start must be down to the reputation of the Milwall ‘firm’. We all know they have a minority who just like to cause trouble at away  football grounds. They’ve done it st AG before more than once so having such a Sunday ko  time prevents them getting too pissed up

Oh for the days when it was just about the football.

40 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

You think that giving the players the maximum possible recovery time is going to make certain you win..? You are dafter than you appear to be..!

Recovery time with our side seems to make little difference, sorry I'm not of the same intellect as you I thought football was supposed to be a simple game

15 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

Recovery time with our side seems to make little difference, sorry I'm not of the same intellect as you I thought football was supposed to be a simple game

I can’t be bothered to point out the blindingly obvious any more to you. 

5 hours ago, When the river runs said:

Rugby should take priority after all they are playing in the premier league. Unless city get promoted this is how it should stay.

No it shouldn’t wether we share the ground or not its city’ground.

If you mention that lansdown owns us both thats an invalid argument as he was looking to build a new ground/ redevelop bedore he got involved with them.

The rugby had no problems playing sundays when at the mem. 

Perhaps our supporter liaison officer could get an official reason from the club why our games our constantly moved for the rugby?

18 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Nothing to do with it . It’s all about the extra dough through the £10 deal per game on the website for non Saturday 3 o’clock kick offs. We haven’t had many of them and the club are trying to cash in. Be careful what you wish for imo because I’ll keep my season ticket money next year and watch it on telly if the club wants to do that . Plus x amount of £’sss on cider etc lost. 

Same hear. Can't make Wednesday or Friday evening, nor Sunday matches, but have Sky, so Bristol Sports won't be getting my ST money next season, either.

46 minutes ago, BCFC1990 said:

No it shouldn’t wether we share the ground or not its city’ground.

If you mention that lansdown owns us both thats an invalid argument as he was looking to build a new ground/ redevelop bedore he got involved with them.

The rugby had no problems playing sundays when at the mem. 

Perhaps our supporter liaison officer could get an official reason from the club why our games our constantly moved for the rugby?

I  was only having a wind up of course ,  city should have priority.

Archived