IGNORED

Weimann

Dredd

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Going to don my tin hat on this one

I think we make Weimann look poor and for the money we paid he’s a decent enough signing

One of the few with a footballing brain and you can see the extra quality in a lot of his touches (IMHO)

I watched the Ipswich game in detail twice at end of week and he worked his nuts off and if everyone had done their job as well as he did his we’d be much better

Doesnt help .....playing with Taylor, .....playing on his own, ....playing with Famara....., playing as a 10 , .....playing as the frontman;, .....l.lplaying wide right.......

I think he looks a bit fed up and jacked off, and I can’t blame him

This. Before Diedhiou returned from his ban AW was playing a similar role to what Reid was last season, and he was scoring regularly FD returns from ban, since that Weimann has been shifted here there and everywhere, hardly his fault! Blame LJ for changing it when it was clearly working at the time.

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I think we make Weimann look poor and for the money we paid he’s a decent enough signing

One of the few with a footballing brain and you can see the extra quality in a lot of his touches (IMHO)

I watched the Ipswich game in detail twice at end of week and he worked his nuts off and if everyone had done their job as well as he did his we’d be much better

Doesnt help .....playing with Taylor, .....playing on his own, ....playing with Famara....., playing as a 10 , .....playing as the frontman;, .....l.lplaying wide right.......

Spot on - he's very quick and works hard.  Just needs someone able to slip a pass through a defence.  One day we'll have a midfielder worth the name...

2 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

Ah yes....the road runner....

just because someone works hard does not mean they have a footballing brain. He’s a great pro no question, work rate is phenomenal but sadly that’s all he offers.

As some have stated not helped by the constant tinkering with the side but I’m interested to know what people see in him that suggests he has a ‘footballing brain’!?

I really do admire the blokes work rate and commitment but that’s not always enough when you need to score or create chances.

Matty Taylor is hard working, but is no where near the league of Weimann.

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

You certainly saw that early on in the season. I thought Pack had found his life partner. Pack was playing passes that Weimann anticipated and vice versa.

Now pack can not find a pass and neither can anyone else except to tip tap around in a paceless self defeating way as we inevitably lose the ball and get pushed back like today.

On that note LJ's comment identifying Kelly for not winning a three on one for their goal was fncking laughable nonsense. 

I’ve said previously that all the jokes about “Offside Kodjia” were put to rest when Tomlin arrived, and suddenly Kodjia had someone with the vision to release him that split second earlier....and he’d be onside.  In fact I’ve never really thought about the impact of selling Kodjia could’ve had on Tomlin....although I think he was his own self-destructor.

Weimann’s 5 goals came before Diedhiou returned, playing as the most advanced striker, either with Pato or Taylor alongside him.  He was the guy who could make those runs down the sides of CBs in the final 20 yards of the pitch.  

13 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I've noticed for a while that Weimann cannot shoot. He either completely miss hits it like first half follow up from Diedhiou header and that terrible shot in the second half, or he just blasts it straight at the keeper. It seems like he is always trying to blast it, and that's why he either gets a bad connection or bad direction. No composure. He is a very strange player, and I completely understand now the things I was reading from Derby fans. They didn't seem to know if he's a good or bad player. What position he is etc. Is he a striker? Well I'm not sure. He played very badly there first half against Ipswich. People moan about Diedhiou's touch but Weimann's  wasn't any good, and he was completely incapable of holding it up as he has very little physical strength. Ipswich second half he was much better when moved to the right. But today he was awful on the right. O'Dowda came on and could run with the ball, took players on and got some crosses in. I didn't see Weimann running with the ball, crossing the ball, I didn't see him really do anything today. He wasn't even making runs into the box when balls were coming in from the left.

I agree with a lot of what you say. What is he actually?

That breakaway he had  in the 2nd half, there was just no way I felt like it was going to come to anything.

Strange, because I actually like the guy / player

I really really really want him to bag a few goals again. Lee. play him in the middle up front and who knows

5 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I remember against hull when he got substituted he wasn't a happy bunny then.

Pretty much slammed his coat down that was given to him and just sat there.

We all know he's a good player and a finisher..Its to much tinkering that johnson doesn't get these players a settled position.You can't keep chopping and changing and expecting these players to keep form.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You can’t or don’t see a good footballer in him ?

His (football) thought processes are quicker than anyone else in the side IMHO 

So what was his football thought process when played through against Leeds, when he decided to take it into the corner rather than drive at goal?

He might be an intelligent lad with a brain but he lacks a killer instinct that a proper goalscorer needs imo.

9 hours ago, Keepers Ball said:

Said this from the start. Got shouted down

Now people are starting to see why I questioned his signing from the start.

We needed goals because we lost a goalscorer. As soon as I saw his record I questioned him

At the start of the season you weren’t even allowed to question LJ’s signings on here ?

2 minutes ago, Super said:

I see someone that runs a lot tbh.

I don’t know how many times you’ve seen him live Super , and seen his movement off the ball  etc

but I promise you he’s one of the better footballers at the Club

Often frustrated by others not on his wavelength

Hes not a spectacular player or character who will stand out and will often go unnoticed but I reccomend watching him , just him for any given game , watch his work rate, his movement , and his decent touch and clever flicks, he’s the most likely player to nip off a first time pass , in our side

Hes not a flashy star , a Maverick , that immediately catches the eye , but a very reliable and ‘decent’ performer IMHO 

Hes not a prolific goalscorer , and if you watch him that’s probably down to his unselfish work and runs , and not getting in the box enough

IMHO If Lee wants to get the maximum goals out of him he needs to persuade AW to actually be more selfish with his movement and workrate and spend more time in the oppositions penalty box 

15 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Exactly! People want him to be consistent but let's be honest, how can we get consistency in a front line when it changes week in, week out. 

I think more than anything we need some stability in our line ups. 

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

Exactly! People want him to be consistent but let's be honest, how can we get consistency in a front line when it changes week in, week out. 

And formation Spike

Lee needs to urgently decide what is our main game plan and what is our Plan B

He needs to make his mind up whether it’s with or without Famara

A continual churn and mix of widemen , front two combinations, a lone frontman, a frontman and a 10.......... is doing no one any favours IMHO

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

It's what happens when none of them are scoring. Needs to be addressed in Jan along with other positions.

7 minutes ago, Spike said:

As LJ keeps saying - this is a new team. Around seven regular staters are in their first season at AG. It always take time for a squad of players to bond and gel as a team and LJ is looking for  the most effective match day squad. 

Stability in selection depends on various factors - fitness, form, attitude and in LJs case who the opposition are........:facepalm:

Its not like the old days when the 11 pretty much picked themselves. These days it’s very different. 

For example,  Hunt or Pisano, Kelly or Dasilva, CoD or Eliasson? Who’ll play when Korey is fit again? 

What LJ is trying to do produce a style that all the players are comfortable with. Pep is known for his style of play  and wherever he goes his playing style goes with him. We’re still waiting to recognise what that LJs style is.

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And formation Spike

Lee needs to urgently decide what is our main game plan and what is our Plan B

He needs to make his mind up whether it’s with or without Famara

A continual churn and mix of widemen , front two combinations, a lone frontman, a frontman and a 10.......... is doing no one any favours IMHO

I was saying the same last season, LJ is a one plan man, he has no back up because he spends so long looking at his opposition and how we're going to take them on that he doesn't think "what if this doesn't work?". 

The main issue with last season was that come December we had been found out, managers had cottened on to what was working for us and rather than change it up before they could adapt LJ never had a second option and so we played the same way and became predictable. 

Can't agree more with you about the churn. Last season Reid and Fammy complimented each other, Reid worked hard and did the graft, Fammy was the big man to off set him. Weimann could work the same way if we actually played the front two and consistently. He's not as prolific but he could be given the chance, instead we continue to play that 4-5-1 style or switch the front men. 

Just now, Super said:

It's what happens when none of them are scoring. Needs to be addressed in Jan along with other positions.

January is a hard ask of anyone, I genuinely fear the idea that clueless Lee will know who to sign or even vote he'll use him should we slash the cash. 

47 minutes ago, Robbored said:

As LJ keeps saying - this is a new team. Around seven regular staters are in their first season at AG. It always take time for a squad of players to bond and gel as a team and LJ is looking for  the most effective match day squad. 

Stability in selection depends on various factors - fitness, form, attitude and in LJs case who the opposition are........:facepalm:

Its not like the old days when the 11 pretty much picked themselves. These days it’s very different. 

For example,  Hunt or Pisano, Kelly or Dasilva, CoD or Eliasson? Who’ll play when Korey is fit again? 

What LJ is trying to do produce a style that all the players are comfortable with. Pep is known for his style of play  and wherever he goes his playing style goes with him. We’re still waiting to recognise what that LJs style is.

Sorry I was quite dismissive in my previous post but my point was I know who I would pick and why, I understand he has more factors to consider but the argument of taking time to bond as a team doesn't sit well with me. Simply put it's extremely rare to find any club who had the same starting 11 two seasons in a row and yet this includes the teams who win the league, sit in the middle of the league and who get relegated, so why is LJ struggling so much to identify who he wants to start whilst other managers are not? 

Honestly, if tomorrow we sacked Johnson and brought in say Garry Monk, as Birmingham did, I think we'd see an upturn in results, confidence and drive. The reason I say this is because he's a great manager at taking what a club has and getting the most out of it and he's proving that at Birmingham right now. The difference between LJ and GM is that GM has done it with another man's players, another man's team and it's because he identifies weaknesses and builds the strengths in his team to deal with those weaknesses. LJ on the other hand is what I like to call a balance manager, he thinks everything needs to balance out perfectly in order for it to work right and that's not always the case. Note: GM is an example I am not suggesting we try and get him, just that it shows that a manager can come in, take another man's squad and be successful without needing time to "gel the squad" or make signings. 

LJ is too focused on "the long term project" because he knows SL is giving him time, other managers know they need results so they work quickly and efficiently, something I don't belive LJ is capable of. 

Should we accept his "they need to gel", "this is the third or fourth rebuild" excuses then at what point are we ever going to get the "finished project"? Simply put, we're not. Football changes too frequently to allow a manager to pick and choose his parts and build his vision exactly as he planned it out.

LJ can bring players in during Jan but come the summer Kalas and Dasilva will go back, loan rules change meaning we won't get them back, I would not be surprised to see Kelly sold and we'll have lost some of our better players but still have some of the dead wood. Then we'll start the next season, have a bad run and guess what... "we've had to rebuild, we lost some key players...." etc

This is why I don't accept his "reasons", he's in the same boat as many a successful manager, arguably with a more accepting owner backing him and less pressure to get it right. Maybe what's missing is a ruthless owner who only expects the best, maybe it's a manager with a fire behind him, who knows, but what I do know is we'll never see LJ's "finished product" because of the very nature of this league and football in general. The cycle of LJ at this club will always be "we're not quite there" or "a few more transfer windows". 

I'd also like to see where that "progress" argument went from the end of last season, when some fans said "so long as we're making progress each season then LJ should stay". I'm interested to see how they feel come the end of this season and we finish in a lower position with an arguably much weaker squad than when LJ took over almost 3 years ago " because I don't see that progress they were talking about. 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

I hope when LJ leaves he takes his pigging playing style with him .

22 hours ago, Dredd said:

Can see now why Derby were playing him wide. Just doesn’t look like scoring. Without looking it up I cannot remember the last time he scored. 

For someone who was supposed to be Reid’s replacement it’s been a waste of money. Turning into another poor signing

Said it in September and was mocked on here by some of the posters who just refuse to see the obvious 

He isn't a striker 

Every club he has been at he has not succeeded as a striker 

One of the comments I got was "well he said he's a striker . So I'll take his word for it over yours" 

He's nothing more then a 6 out of 10 man. A typical LJ signing.  

19 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Said it in September and was mocked on here by some of the posters who just refuse to see the obvious 

He isn't a striker 

Every club he has been at he has not succeeded as a striker 

One of the comments I got was "well he said he's a striker . So I'll take his word for it over yours" 

He's nothing more then a 6 out of 10 man. A typical LJ signing.  

So at the start of the season, whilst playing as a striker he wasn't playing very well and more importantly scoring goals? It's only since LJ started moving him here, there and everywhere that his form has dropped.

Archived