IGNORED

Dear SL

Dolman Block B

8 minutes ago, SX227 said:

No Bob

Because Lansdown would spend whatever he had to (and ignore FFP) to stay in the Championship.

I keep saying it (and my source is as high as it gets) that the end game is to sell up the whole thing once PP is changed for AV.

With the Prem as extra incentive.

The club is just another section in a financial entity known as Bristol Sport.

Alongside hotels, carparks, concert venues and the AV estate.

Again - Lansdown is worth £2,500,000,000

His 'investment' - to us non billionaires is about £1000 over 20 yrs.

Perspective

It's all about ******* perspective.

Interesting mate

:ill:

7 minutes ago, SX227 said:

No Bob

Because Lansdown would spend whatever he had to (and ignore FFP) to stay in the Championship.

I keep saying it (and my source is as high as it gets) that the end game is to sell up the whole thing once PP is changed for AV.

Perspective

Spot on. SL has only ever had an eye on the end game. His exit.

That was always linked to freehold value masked up as an interest in sport. He never wanted to move to AV. That was a smokescreen to get the ultimate planning consent on a much larger piece of land.

He has no real interest in our club whatsoever. Why would he?

Sadly it’s all about the money. And making so much more. 

Look at his track record. What has he selflessly done that’s specifically, directly and solely related to BCFC.

Answer? **** all.

We are a mid-table side which is where most people expected us to be after having to sell our best players in the summer. The team is inconsistent which is normal for a mid-table team, that's why they're not near the top. This season was always going to be difficult, I can't say people sitting around me (in the Lansdown) are saying Johnson should be sacked, most accept he's had his hands tied this season. To his credit we're now an established side in the Championship rather than the relegation fodder we were when he joined and although people say he's had millions to spend he's also sold a lot as well so the net spend isn't too much at all. It would be a mistake to sack him when we're not in trouble, we could end up in the same situation as Ipswich who made that mistake.

10 hours ago, Fuber said:

He may of led the club our highest two league finished in said x amount of years.

He's also spent well over 10 times what Cotts spent in the latter's 3 years in charge.

And for what? To climb 4 league positions?

The money point is irrelevant - we are just spending what an average championship club does right now. And yes it has rocketed up over past few years due to crazy football inflation but that isn't the clubs fault - its the way football has gone and we spend it just to compete. Probably only going one way too. Whatever manager came in now would have to spend the same to bring in championship quality players. You only have to look at an Ipswich/Bolton etc to see what happens if you bring in league 1 players etc.

I think we are lucky too that Cotteril wasn't able to spend big money on what he wanted because he demonstrated with not just City but Birmingham that he isn't up to it at this level anymore.

What I think is the clubs fault is not getting the best out of what we have. We should be beating sides like Reading and Millwall. It is about getting more from less versus those clubs above us who can spend more. The likes of Huddersfield and Cardiff have made it by spending averagely so we should be looking to as well.

There is a real balance to be had - we have to try and do it with average funds for this league but also make progress. Sometimes that is quite hard. And I'm not enjoying the quality of football right now but some of the criticism is way OTT for where we are (ie finishing one of the highest we have in past 40 years etc). If we were in bottom 3 or league 1 then I think it would be understandable.

So yeah, it isn't the best but some of the comments of vitriol towards LJ and SL are just way too much. If they were hated as much as some make out on here then there would be chants every game - I don't think I've heard all season one LJ or SL out chant having been to 90% of the games.

2 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

The money point is irrelevant - we are just spending what an average championship club does right now. And yes it has rocketed up over past few years due to crazy football inflation but that isn't the clubs fault - its the way football has gone and we spend it just to compete. Probably only going one way too. Whatever manager came in now would have to spend the same to bring in championship quality players. You only have to look at an Ipswich/Bolton etc to see what happens if you bring in league 1 players etc.

I think we are lucky too that Cotteril wasn't able to spend big money on what he wanted because he demonstrated with not just City but Birmingham that he isn't up to it at this level anymore.

Contrary to your point re Ipswich - Preston, Brentford, Sheffield Utd, and to similar extent Leeds, Norwich, and Wigan prove there nothing wrong bringing players through the academy or lower leagues. 

We say we lost our best players and didn't spend (a net profit of around £10m) - Norwich banked £30m and only spent £5m.

The money point is irrelevant as you said - and as was my point also, we should not of spent that much in the first place over the last 3 years. Period. It isnt sustainable - so SL punting on the wrong horse on LJ.

Let me ask this Alex. Who would you trust more with £30m.

LJ or Cotts? Kodjia or Diedhiou? Freeman or Pato?

In my opinion, looking back. It's no contest.

1 minute ago, Fuber said:

Contrary to your point re Ipswich - Preston, Brentford, Sheffield Utd, and to similar extent Leeds, Norwich, and Wigan prove there nothing wrong bringing players through the academy or lower leagues. 

We say we lost our best players and didn't spend (a net profit of around £10m) - Norwich banked £30m and only spent £5m.

The money point is irrelevant as you said - and as was my point also, we should not of spent that much in the first place over the last 3 years. Period. It isnt sustainable - so SL punting on the wrong horse on LJ.

Let me ask this Alex. Who would you trust more with £30m.

LJ or Cotts? Kodjia or Diedhiou? Freeman or Pato?

In my opinion, looking back. It's no contest.

Christ - neither but probably more LJ. I have no faith in Cotteril at this level anymore and don’t forget LJ saved us for what looked like relegation under Cottteril. We went from bottom 3 to something like 18th I think? 

Totally agree on bringing through players and we need more of that whoever the manager. There are teams outperforming us on lower funds just as there are teams underperforning with more. We are average but the football isn’t good enough. 

My point overall I guess is it is nowhere near as bad as made out. 

2 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Christ - neither but probably more LJ. I have no faith in Cotteril at this level anymore and don’t forget LJ saved us for what looked like relegation under Cottteril. We went from bottom 3 to something like 18th I think? 

Totally agree on bringing through players and we need more of that whoever the manager. There are teams outperforming us on lower funds just as there are teams underperforning with more. We are average but the football isn’t good enough. 

My point overall I guess is it is nowhere near as bad as made out. 

That depends on context. In my opinion FFP has hit hard this year and we're actually being hurt ourselves by LJs utter shambles of a recruitment record.

In the last 3 years we've outspent on all the teams below us, as well as the likes of Sheff Utd, QPR, and Even Leeds. We're more than likely in the top half in terms of player expenditure in the league.

LJ has seen player salaries rise by almost 30% in the job. All of which is in no way 'sustainable' imo.

Whilst not in the L.J out faction I agree with some of the frustration aired on here. We have players with the ability to entertain such as Niki Eliasson and the young lad Aldelukan (?), but we sold the lumbering target man in Duric.

Some of the signings have been less than inspiring, did/do we need Marley Watkins? There are though other positions we need to strengthen such as central midfield, someone with vision and ability (think Hartley but younger) and a goal scorer or two (a nippy finisher and a genuine target man)

I don't know if we were hamstrung by FFP in the summer or LJ genuinely believed he had a team to take us on. Either way it hasn't worked out. January will be a telling window, one that, if given money to strengthen the first team, could well decide the future for the head coach and his team.

We have the foundations of a good squad, but like any foundations we need to build on them. Lee needs to have 2 or 3 formations and styles, recruit players to suit those styles and let other teams worry about us. The first half of last season we played "our way"with great success only to revert back to tinkering.

Lee Johnson, like the club, has plenty of potential. He will, I'm sure prove to be a very good coach. But he needs to push on and make progression of his talent and progress the club. I'm not talking top 6 but playing attractive football, play with this identity with flair and a killer instinct. If he can do this then top 6 or even top two will take care of itself.

The over riding theme posted on this forum is, quite rightly, a desire to be entertained. Addressing this will bring an upturn in fortunes on and off the pitch. I hope Lee can achieve this, I'm sure he has the ability. If not then maybe we will need to look at things.

When (hopefully) LJ goes dont automatically assume SL will get another yes man. Ar some stage he must acknowledge that he and his son know fuckall and that they are making ***** of themselves so might actually appoint a proper strong inspirational HC who will control recruitment. 

Pat Lam is not a yes man and when he speaks the owner listens and learns whereas before he trusted that ******* Chris Booy.

Fingers crossed.

15 hours ago, SX227 said:

No Bob

Perspective

This is absolutely correct.

I sussed this out in 2008 and I am afraid switched off from a lifetime (thus far in 2008) of watching City, over the previous 40 years. I could not understand how someone with Lansdown's money and the amount of money he knew he would be worth going forward, could not want to take his club into the promised and when they were riding high at Xmas 2017 and simply needed a little more firepower up front.

Answer...He did not want the Premier League and he never will. 

The truth is the average long term fan puts more into the club in relation to means than Mr Lansdown.

Sustainability ha! That actually stands for 'Keeping a lid on it'

TIME FOR A CHANGE ... Tell you what ...If I had the money I would start an ' FC City of Bristol' we'd call ourselves 'The Robin and play somewhere in BS3 and I know many former City players who would join me. Why because they feel as disengaged with club as we do...

On 02/12/2018 at 19:14, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not the point,  note many of the posters on this thread are very long term supporters so there's a cumulative effect.

We've not only supported through SO'D, Mcinnes & Pulis, but also Tinnion, Millen etc., and throughout our plummet down the divisions in the early 80's.

We're as loyal and long suffering as they come and I don't think many of us expect promotion to the PL but what we do expect is to occasionally enjoy attending AG and view some exciting and entertaining football.

This season the fare on offer is mostly tedious and simply not good enough, and it's very hard to be optimistic or enthusiastic for next season if LJ stays.

STOP USING UP MY LIKES NOGBAD!!!! 

?

On 02/12/2018 at 19:25, Alex_BCFC said:

It’s exactly the point the OP made and isn’t true. 

I don’t believe it is good enough currently but it certainly isn’t anywhere near as bad as many make out. We shouldn’t be happy with it but at some time some perspective required as like I said some comments are totally OTT.

I do believe though that if LJ can’t sort out the barren runs he goes on then he won’t last beyond end of season.

I think we were saying that last season. 

On 02/12/2018 at 19:54, Fordy62 said:

That’s it isn’t it. 

Birmingham City away next week is 10 miles from my house. 

I’ve been to blues away pretty much every time it’s happened. But I have no interest. Absolutely none at all. In fact I probably won’t even watch a stream or follow the match thread. I just have zero interest. 

Fordy, I'm getting the same feeling as you, I used to look forward to listening to the RB commentary every Saturday or mid week, but now, I honestly don't feel like I want to bother anymore. Even under the dire days of S O'D and the last days of SC I still had an interest in listening. I just don't know if I will bother this weekend and I have been a fan since the early 1950's.

• Admin
20 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

SL does not want PL, it would too expensive, he wouldn't be able to cap wages, If he did, he would sack LEE JOHNSON, as were going nowhere with him at the helm, oh, that's my opinion, which I'm entitled, 

I stand corrected to all those people telling me that someone would write this on here - I hadn't seen it before

For what it's worth I would love to hear SL's thoughts on why we should stick with LJ

• Admin
5 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Fordy, I'm getting the same feeling as you, I used to look forward to listening to the RB commentary every Saturday or mid week, but now, I honestly don't feel like I want to bother anymore. Even under the dire days of S O'D and the last days of SC I still had an interest in listening. I just don't know if I will bother this weekend and I have been a fan since the early 1950's.

Sadly agree with you both, the desire has gone for me out of supporting the side

The games are dull and the only reason to keep going is to meet up with friends I have made over the years following City home and away

Massive mistake potentially but I bought tickets for Saturday and a group of us are going up

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Sadly agree with you both, the desire has gone for me out of supporting the side

The games are dull and the only reason to keep going is to meet up with friends I have made over the years following City home and away

Massive mistake potentially but I bought tickets for Saturday and a group of us are going up

Well,  enjoy the time with your friends, as you probably agree, that, barring a miracle on the pitch,  will be your only enjoyment.

24 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

City losing used to completely ruin my week. Now, after the initial few minutes of angst, I find that I couldn`t give two fux.

15 hours ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

This is absolutely correct.

I sussed this out in 2008 and I am afraid switched off from a lifetime (thus far in 2008) of watching City, over the previous 40 years. I could not understand how someone with Lansdown's money and the amount of money he knew he would be worth going forward, could not want to take his club into the promised and when they were riding high at Xmas 2017 and simply needed a little more firepower up front.

Answer...He did not want the Premier League and he never will. 

The truth is the average long term fan puts more into the club in relation to means than Mr Lansdown.

Sustainability ha! That actually stands for 'Keeping a lid on it'

TIME FOR A CHANGE ... Tell you what ...If I had the money I would start an ' FC City of Bristol' we'd call ourselves 'The Robin and play somewhere in BS3 and I know many former City players who would join me. Why because they feel as disengaged with club as we do...

:clap:I don't need to be here because this is me  ^^^^^^^^^ in one

54 minutes ago, phantom said:

Go on my own these days, things have gone full circle from when I first found the club as a 12 year old and used to get there early to try and get a place on the railings directly behind the EE goal.

Move on a few years and it was a pre match piss up for many years with 10-15 of us down the Plume or the Nova. My choice to leave what remained of that group to branch off into the family section with my 4 year old son over 20 years ago, and now he's left Bristol.

I've no problem about attending on my own, some rousing football from City would make the day well worthwhile for me. I often see faces I know in the concourse from the old days who I only know at all through our support for City - the big problem for me this season is the quality of the football and the lack of entertainment/excitement.

This present City team also lacks the characters - recently Albert, Flint etc. - to either admire their battling qualities, or get you off your seat. All very similar players at AG now, a collection of assembled interchangeable individuals who give the impression of just passing through.

No more heroes anymore.

Nothing would get me to Brum on Saturday btw - always guaranteed misery there!

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Go on my own these days, things have gone full circle from when I first found the club as a 12 year old and used to get there early to try and get a place on the railings directly behind the EE goal.

Move on a few years and it was a pre match piss up for many years with 10-15 of us down the Plume or the Nova. My choice to leave what remained of that group to branch off into the family section with my 4 year old son over 20 years ago, and now he's left Bristol.

I've no problem about attending on my own, some rousing football from City would make the day well worthwhile for me. I often see faces I know in the concourse from the old days who I only know at all through our support for City - the big problem for me this season is the quality of the football and the lack of entertainment/excitement.

This present City team also lacks the characters - recently Albert, Flint etc. - to either admire their battling qualities, or get you off your seat. All very similar players at AG now, a collection of assembled interchangeable individuals who give the impression of just passing through.

No more heroes anymore.

Nothing would get me to Brum on Saturday btw - always guaranteed misery there!

Almost as predictable as the defeat at Leeds, West brom, Villa almost every away day 

As I have anger management issues, I try to distance myself, as best as I can, from situations and people that set me off.

This includes my beloved Bristol City FC (beloved as it once was, but not as it is now).

I find myself inreasingly refusing tickets/invites to games as I can't be bothered with the dross we're being served, and I can't afford to get myself into a rage.

More often than not, my friends, my sons and other members of my family now go without me (but sometimes even they can't be bothered either).

In years gone by, missing a game (home or away) would have been unthinkable.

I hate modern football, I hate the tippy-tappy sideways/backwards stuff,  I hate the corporate-ness of it all, I hate the PR spin, cliches and charm offensives, and I detest our voices are no longer heard. After all, we are only "customers".

My hope is that Bristol City FC will one day get back to being what it was.

We were all brothers-in-arms and looked after each other. We stood together through thick and thin, in shit places and shitty weather, because we felt those in charge cared, and the players tried their best and shared our passion and appreciated our support.

Is it too late? Have we gone too far down the road to accepting mediocrity?

Who knows?

We shall see.

18 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

As I have anger management issues, I try to distance myself, as best as I can, from situations and people that set me off.

This includes my beloved Bristol City FC (beloved as it once was, but not as it is now).

I find myself inreasingly refusing tickets/invites to games as I can't be bothered with the dross we're being served, and I can't afford to get myself into a rage.

More often than not, my friends, my sons and other members of my family now go without me (but sometimes even they can't be bothered either).

In years gone by, missing a game (home or away) would have been unthinkable.

I hate modern football, I hate the tippy-tappy sideways/backwards stuff,  I hate the corporate-ness of it all, I hate the PR spin, cliches and charm offensives, and I detest our voices are no longer heard. After all, we are only "customers".

My hope is that Bristol City FC will one day get back to being what it was.

We were all brothers-in-arms and looked after each other. We stood together through thick and thin, in shit places and shitty weather, because we felt those in charge cared, and the players tried their best and shared our passion and appreciated our support.

Is it too late? Have we gone too far down the road to accepting mediocrity?

Who knows?

We shall see.

Snap, spot on, Another great post ...WE WANT OUR CITY BACK :mafia:

2 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

He hasnt the bollocks to sack him, and Mark Ashton recommended him, 

ST sales may stir him ..... but I very much doubt it;

MA and Lj should both go and bring in someone half decent on their joint wages; that may give us hope for a while but considering who will be picking the newbie, doubt if that will last long....hey ho.

My view is this

If we stay up how are the club going to convince so many of us to part with our money again for next season?

Ive had a season ticket 39 years and will definitely not be renewing

That said I will attend games that suits me even if it costs more

Saying that the club are always offering decent deals for non season ticket holders to come to Ashton Gate

My heart will always be with City 

My Head says enough is enough 

Archived