IGNORED

Dear SL

Dolman Block B

3 hours ago, Dredd said:

I think in the last Steve has been fairly good at being in tune with the fan base and generally making changes at the right time. 

That said, in my 20 odd years watching City I’ve never seen such a disillusioned fan base. 

LJ, MA, the new media team, the new crest proposal, ‘customers not fans’, the season ticket debacle at the end of last season, all seem to have stirred up the fan base against aspects of the club. Eventually this, alongside poor performances and results will drive ticket holders away. 

So if Steve really has taken the back seat that his role as owner not chairman suggests, then maybe it’s Jon Lansdown who needs to get a bit more in touch with the fan base. 

Jon Lansdown needs to start being the front man 

9 hours ago, Badger08 said:

What, and you have? 

All I'm reading on here is absolute tosh.  A load of posters that aren't happy with the way the season is panning out, so they're have a proper sulk.  A load of posters, that when things aren't going perfectly, will throw around every conspiracy theory they can think of. A load of supporters, and I use the term lightly, that when the chips are down, cry and moan about everything.  EVERYTHING. 

I'm not sure exactly what people are expecting? We are a football club that has traditionally played its football in the lower echelons of the footballing pyramid.  We are a club, that if it wasn't for 8 players, might not actually exist. WE WERE FINANCIALLY ******.  But yet, where we stand still isn't good enough.  Oh, how people forget recent history.  Oh, how people bring up "the good old days" before Bristol Sport.  Not being funny, the good old days were shocking!  They were shite.  They were unstable.  We now have a footballing stadium to be proud of.  The best football stadium in the South West of the entire country.    We are financially stable, we are an average Championship team. All of which we would have all killed for only 4 years ago.  We have a new training facility. We have one of the best academies in the country.  We are now looking at extending this beautiful new home to make our financial outlook even safer.  But, yet, after all of this and MUCH MORE, we have fans still moaning and groaning about an owner that didn't have to do any of it in the bloody first place.  One even suggesting he isn't a fan?  And people have the nerve to say I haven't got a clue.   

Seriously, reading this forum you would think we were scrapping around in league two..   Yes, everything isn't all sunshine and rainbows at the moment, but my god, we have a lot more to be happy about than to moan about.  

"ALWAYS BELIEVE" don't make me choke on this massive dish of irony. 

I’m out I’m afraid, after 30 years 12 years as a season ticket holder I’m calling time! I won’t be going again this season as long as Lee is still in charge, I’m drawing a line... My kids hate it, I hate it, I prefer shopping with the wife ffs!!!

The bottom line for me is that the entertainment has gone, even Transfer windows aren’t entertainment at this club anymore, there’s  **** all light at the end of this tunnel :(

1 minute ago, KeepUpLino said:

I’m out I’m afraid, after 30 years 12 years of following the lads I’m calling time! I won’t be going again this season as long as Lee is still in charge, I’m drawing a line... My kids hate it, I hate it, I prefer shopping with the wife ffs!!!

The bottom line for me is that the entertainment has gone, even Transfer windows aren’t entertainment at this club anymore, there’s  **** all light at the end of this tunnel :(

Join the club mate. It isn't just this season for me, it's been going on for years now, pretty much since LJ has been in charge, but it's not just on the pitch. Still, you've got people telling you that you arnt a true fan because if you were you should suck up whatever is given to you for your £1000 a year a keep quiet about it. I've voted with my feet and I suspect many others will do the same. These are the same fans that would have still been going home and away in league one, will they still? Will they ####. 

10 hours ago, southvillekiddy said:

Could you explain what you mean please mate. eg do you mean obtain planning permission at Ashton Vale for a new stadium, so that we end up with a sports complex with 2 stadiums for football, rugby, basketball, other events etc..?

Then SL would plan to sell the whole lot?

Not another stadium.

Various forms of housing, another hotel / pub, take-aways with good main road access and parking for casual trade - plus light industrial to include (amongst others) a micro-brewery for all stadiums and pubs, food manufacture for stadia and take away shops and vehicle repairs - other were mooted.

The initial figure was 5000 housing units, but wether that includes the 500 being built currently, I don't know.

Two trains of thought followed this - wether to build the lot and sell, or begin and build a certain % to show how it would work.

Last I heard, a lot depended on the % of 'social housing' that would enable the plans to be approved, the height of some of the apartment blocks and of course clearance after the use of the land as a tip.

So the whole package would be the sports clubs, AG stadium, Flyers Stadium, houses, office blocks,Hotels, car-parks and either all the land with housing PP in place OR partial build and the rest with PP approved.

The carrot (again for those not getting this) - BCFC getting to the Prem AFTER the sale, allowing revenues from AG to skyrocket plus all that lovely Football TV money.

The value of this would be enormous - renting out the offices and shops, car-park and hotel revenue. Selling some housing and renting out others - take your pick of any one of 25 possible permutations - plus Prem Rugby and Football.

SL owns the lot, for the equivalent to us of loose change down the back of the sofa.

That's all I can, and will, say.

8 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

One thing Scott Davidson had was he was a massive fan (still is) and bled Bristol City

A very passionate man who done his best  

Ok mistakes while in charge at the Gate and only had 10% of SL wealth but done everything he possibly could to please our fan base

I’m not arguing at all that SL has pushed the club to new heights and paid off the clubs debts to keep us afloat, totally love the man for that , but he really needs to address the current management at the football club because in all my years I’ve never heard so many discontented fans before and after a match and if it carry’s on the club could loose thousands of season ticket holders 2019/20

We can only wait and see 

10%????!!!!!! Scott’s wealth was more like 0.7% of SL’s......but he did obviously care about our club....

3 hours ago, Badger08 said:

I think you're the child with your over dramatic reactions. We're mid table in the championship, but because we aren't playing champagne football you aren't coming again.  Anyway, respect your opinion. Shame that we're losing die hards like you and @Big Red Rich 

I remember him getting extremely upset about us losing a league one playoff (and slamming a car door) game to actually get into the championship. Now we're a settled championship club it still isn't enough. 

But, is what it is, some people get upset quicker than others I guess. Doesn't make your opinion any less valid. 

I think to explain the mood amongst many...

....What is happening is that very many die hard fans, are genuinely feeling disconnected from the club.  The problem is the man at the top has his own mission and fans feelings are no longer an important part of his thinking. His thinking seems to be.. if not 'us' then it will be the next generation of punters etc.. 

Regarding the Premier League for City, clearly its not something we can look forward to any time soon. That's disappointing to many of us because we see other smaller towns, not even Cities... Bournemouth for example, riding high in the Premier League and we ask ourselves why can't we... In the fifty five years I have watched City - I have experienced four years in the top flight, I loved it and it would be nice to see it again, just once more. 

3 hours ago, SX227 said:

Not another stadium.

Various forms of housing, another hotel / pub, take-aways with good main road access and parking for casual trade - plus light industrial to include (amongst others) a micro-brewery for all stadiums and pubs, food manufacture for stadia and take away shops and vehicle repairs - other were mooted.

The initial figure was 5000 housing units, but wether that includes the 500 being built currently, I don't know.

Two trains of thought followed this - wether to build the lot and sell, or begin and build a certain % to show how it would work.

Last I heard, a lot depended on the % of 'social housing' that would enable the plans to be approved, the height of some of the apartment blocks and of course clearance after the use of the land as a tip.

So the whole package would be the sports clubs, AG stadium, Flyers Stadium, houses, office blocks,Hotels, car-parks and either all the land with housing PP in place OR partial build and the rest with PP approved.

The carrot (again for those not getting this) - BCFC getting to the Prem AFTER the sale, allowing revenues from AG to skyrocket plus all that lovely Football TV money.

The value of this would be enormous - renting out the offices and shops, car-park and hotel revenue. Selling some housing and renting out others - take your pick of any one of 25 possible permutations - plus Prem Rugby and Football.

SL owns the lot, for the equivalent to us of loose change down the back of the sofa.

Been fairly obvious to me for quite a long time - around 12 years ago I think is when I first alluded to it on here - that something like this was the end game.

And of course when Steve sells and makes millions, he will be applauded by many for building the stadium that he owns. He can't lose.

I watched a Panorama programme this week, very interesting.

There is a lack of ambition atm. ATM anyway. I don't really know what the owner wants, cus I don't really think its promotion unless he lives in fantasyland. 

The season we went up under SC, he was wanting ambition. Look at the targets he went for. Maguire, Grey, Gayle. That shows ambition. But what happened? It was a farce, and imo a farce because of Lansdown.

9 hours ago, SX227 said:

Not another stadium.

Would it even be possible to buy BCFC and our stadium (is it even ours anyway) without all the Bristol Sport add ons; ? seems it would be difficult to split up the package that has been assembled on our behalf; we have been taken down this road by someone who`s doing whats best for us, without even asking us/or our opinions. :dunno:

2 hours ago, Bri Stool City said:

Would it even be possible to buy BCFC and our stadium (is it even ours anyway) without all the Bristol Sport add ons; ? seems it would be difficult to split up the package that has been assembled on our behalf; we have been taken down this road by someone who`s doing whats best for us, without even asking us/or our opinions. :dunno:

I think you could in theory split the entities at a price and then they rent the stadium. I guess Swansea and Ospreys do that over the bridge but not sure then about non matchday revenue which is critical

If SL was the benevolent soul many seem to believe, he would have AV in BCFC's ownership so all the development profit comes to us.

I don't believe that is the case.

8 hours ago, Atticus said:

There is a lack of ambition atm. ATM anyway. I don't really know what the owner wants, cus I don't really think its promotion unless he lives in fantasyland. 

The season we went up under SC, he was wanting ambition. Look at the targets he went for. Maguire, Grey, Gayle. That shows ambition. But what happened? It was a farce, and imo a farce because of Lansdown.

Not only did we not get those targets, we actually overall managed to weaken in the first half of the season at least the promotion side IMO.

However, we were walking a bit of a financial tightrope at the time as the Lansdown was not yet built and the corporate facilities therefore were not complete too so the signings may have been a touch unfeasible- but the first 2 undoubtedly and maybe the 3rd would have also yielded a healthy profit in terms of selling them on.

However even in terms of those who we lost post promotion we lost Tavernier, Cunningham, Elliott retired and a wildcard in JET. We brought Kodjia and Baker on loan (I know other loanees but they made minimal impact), one thing not to sign players you are competing with those with parachute payments for (Maguire and Gray) but to actually let some good depth at worst go and not get properly replaced is poor indeed.

9 hours ago, NickJ said:

Been fairly obvious to me for quite a long time - around 12 years ago I think is when I first alluded to it on here - that something like this was the end game.

And of course when Steve sells and makes millions, he will be applauded by many for building the stadium that he owns. He can't lose.

Saw the same Panaroma, that was more like the Rovers situation.  A lesson in why not to be taken in by the ‘experts’ where the deal looks too good to be true.

The people taken in by the bloke in the programme, although good people for running those clubs were at the best naive.  Very sad.

2 hours ago, Badger08 said:

"We have nothing. The club many of us followed through thick and thin is no more" - Can you expand on this?  I'm pretty sure I watched them play on Sunday!  I'm also pretty sure we're sat midtable in the Championship surround by clubs that are a lot bigger than ourselves and we're competing, something fans would have killed for not over 5 years ago. So, Interesting. 

Landsdown has paid for the stadium, yes. Its Bristol Citys stadium. What are you trying to get at? That you think because Landsdown kindy built a state of the art stadium that it isn't ours? What exactly do you think he's going to do with it? Do you think he's going to knock it down? Maybe he might make a giant allotment? So, what's the issue? Do you think Manchester City fans own their stadium? 

"BCFC has nothing of meaningful value" - Again, what? Its not as if football clubs have a stash of crown jewels and he's stolen them!! SL is the ******* crown jewels.  I'm afraid to break this to you, but every club in the land is valued on its owner.  If you're talking about assets, do you not think the state of the art training ground etc aren't of value?  Guess what, SL built that.  Even if he is building all these things to add value to sell on, you should be happy as he's selling as you don't want him.  So you aren't making any sense. 

Well, you clearly aren't wearing your big pants*  *See your opening quote for details

"Lansdown has always had his eye on the prize that matters most to him .And it isn’t BCFC" - So what is the mystery prize that Lansdown wants? Can you inform me of this? Can anyone inform me of what Lansdowns prize is if it isn't the club he's slung millions of his own money into?   If its real estate, then I'm also sorry to break this to you, but he could buy land all around the country that would make him more money than the brown belt land around AG.  

I couldn't disagree with you anymore.

How would you like things then? In your fantasy world, who would you have running the club and how would you like them to run it?  I'm sure there are thousands of billionaires lining up to buy the massive Bristol City football club, with all its glorious history and willing not to make a single penny in return whilst sticking to the FFP regulations. GARBAGE.

What exactly do you want @BigAlToby&Liam ?  

What I would like, is for  the net  capital receipts that will arise out of the redevelopment of land that was ostensibly for BCFC's use to be ploughed into the football club. By that I mean Ashton Vale. The shitstorm that occurred throughout the village green debacle will make the planning process for a lucrative development scheme much easier as the city council will get social housing, and were made to look stupid as usual last time so will be supportive. Best way to ensure the money comes our way  is to transfer the ownership to the football club which I do not believe will happen.

Taking a few other points above:

AG is NOT Bristol City's stadium. It is the stadium where Bristol City plays its home games, like Coventry at the Ricoh. I don't believe anyone suggests fan ownership so unsure where you got that from. In terms of what he could do with it, he could start charging a rent, he could funnel matchday and non matchday revenue into his pension fund, he could do whatever he wants and wouldn't need to turn it into an allotment.

BCFC apart from maybe Lloyd Kelly doesn't have anything of value. Again, in terms of ownership, the property you refer to is owned essentially by SL and it would most certainly have a value to the open market either with or without BCFC as a paying tenant. I disagree that every club is valued upon the wealth of its owner because it depends on how much that owneris prepared to spend, how seriouysly they take on the challenge, and of course how FFP impacts upon ambition.

Lastly, as for an eye on the prize,  profit comes from getting land cheap and selling it with the benefit of a changed planning use. I am unsure what "brownbelt" you refer to, but Ashton Vale will earn a fortune as I have said above, and land prices in Bristol make most other areas "all around the country" look like chicken feed.

5 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

What I would like, is for  the net  capital receipts that will arise out of the redevelopment of land that was ostensibly for BCFC's use to be ploughed into the football club. By that I mean Ashton Vale. The shitstorm that occurred throughout the village green debacle will make the planning process for a lucrative development scheme much easier as the city council will get social housing, and were made to look stupid as usual last time so will be supportive. Best way to ensure the money comes our way  is to transfer the ownership to the football club which I do not believe will happen.

Taking a few other points above:

AG is NOT Bristol City's stadium. It is the stadium where Bristol City plays its home games, like Coventry at the Ricoh. I don't believe anyone suggests fan ownership so unsure where you got that from. In terms of what he could do with it, he could start charging a rent, he could funnel matchday and non matchday revenue into his pension fund, he could do whatever he wants and wouldn't need to turn it into an allotment.

BCFC apart from maybe Lloyd Kelly doesn't have anything of value. Again, in terms of ownership, the property you refer to is owned essentially by SL and it would most certainly have a value to the open market either with or without BCFC as a paying tenant. I disagree that every club is valued upon the wealth of its owner because it depends on how much that owneris prepared to spend, how seriouysly they take on the challenge, and of course how FFP impacts upon ambition.

Lastly, as for an eye on the prize,  profit comes from getting land cheap and selling it with the benefit of a changed planning use. I am unsure what "brownbelt" you refer to, but Ashton Vale will earn a fortune as I have said above, and land prices in Bristol make most other areas "all around the country" look like chicken feed.

Well thought out reply, respect to you.  

Do you honestly believe that SL would screw BCFC over with charging an extortionate rate or take away any matchday funds etc? I don't really believe he will do that do you? 

Look, maybe I'm being naive, but I can't see how anyone can say that SL is doing any of this to earn more money for himself.  Everything he does, whether it works or not, I genuinely think he does it to benefit us and the club. 

12 hours ago, NickJ said:

You and me both.

What I don’t get is why so few can see this for what it is.

Many seem to think that Lansdown is a Saint. A philanthropic benefactor who cares about our club.

Odd that. 

Anyway I’m glad I’ve found another like minded soul.....

3 hours ago, Badger08 said:

"We have nothing. The club many of us followed through thick and thin is no more" - Can you expand on this?  I'm pretty sure I watched them play on Sunday!  I'm also pretty sure we're sat midtable in the Championship surround by clubs that are a lot bigger than ourselves and we're competing, something fans would have killed for not over 5 years ago. So, Interesting. 

Landsdown has paid for the stadium, yes. Its Bristol Citys stadium. What are you trying to get at? That you think because Landsdown kindy built a state of the art stadium that it isn't ours? What exactly do you think he's going to do with it? Do you think he's going to knock it down? Maybe he might make a giant allotment? So, what's the issue? Do you think Manchester City fans own their stadium? 

"BCFC has nothing of meaningful value" - Again, what? Its not as if football clubs have a stash of crown jewels and he's stolen them!! SL is the ******* crown jewels.  I'm afraid to break this to you, but every club in the land is valued on its owner.  If you're talking about assets, do you not think the state of the art training ground etc aren't of value?  Guess what, SL built that.  Even if he is building all these things to add value to sell on, you should be happy as he's selling as you don't want him.  So you aren't making any sense. 

Well, you clearly aren't wearing your big pants*  *See your opening quote for details

"Lansdown has always had his eye on the prize that matters most to him .And it isn’t BCFC" - So what is the mystery prize that Lansdown wants? Can you inform me of this? Can anyone inform me of what Lansdowns prize is if it isn't the club he's slung millions of his own money into?   If its real estate, then I'm also sorry to break this to you, but he could buy land all around the country that would make him more money than the brown belt land around AG.  

I couldn't disagree with you anymore.

How would you like things then? In your fantasy world, who would you have running the club and how would you like them to run it?  I'm sure there are thousands of billionaires lining up to buy the massive Bristol City football club, with all its glorious history and willing not to make a single penny in return whilst sticking to the FFP regulations. GARBAGE.

What exactly do you want @BigAlToby&Liam ?  

Simple. So, so simple.

Think back to when the football club was the entity. The only entity. It owned not just the players but the ground they played on.

Now take a look. Who owns what? Take a look at the accounts.

The football club owns **** all. A few players who aren’t performing. Who yes have played so well we’re mid table. But have you seen how shit they actually are?

Who owns the one thing of any value? Well it ain’t BCFC.

Give you a clue. He’s a man who’s a professional investor. A man with more money than he knows what to do with.

So he presents himself as a saviour who wants to make us proud.....

Does he bollocks. He saw Ashton Vale and it’s true potential. Not as a stadium, training ground or anything else. As a large piece of land that had planning potential.

Moving BCFC to AV was nothing more than a smokescreen to flush out objections that would ease the path for that ultimate aim - buying the land as cheaply as possible and getting his “second choice” consent.

But Badger you carry on. If you think we own what we used to and have or will fulfil our ambitions and potential then that’s good enough for me.

Oh how I’d love to be proved wrong.....

59 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Well thought out reply, respect to you.  

Do you honestly believe that SL would screw BCFC over with charging an extortionate rate or take away any matchday funds etc? I don't really believe he will do that do you? 

Look, maybe I'm being naive, but I can't see how anyone can say that SL is doing any of this to earn more money for himself.  Everything he does, whether it works or not, I genuinely think he does it to benefit us and the club. 

I don't think SL is a bad man for a split second Badger08, but I equally don't regard him as the saintly benefactor that some do. I therefore believe that whilst he does underwrite the club's bebt (which I think he needs to take some responsibility for), he could go a long way into actually putting the club into the sustainable status he says he wants, simply by transferring real estate, and could even deduct whatever he put into Ashton Vale plus interest so he's not out of pocket. I don't think he will do that though, which is why I think like I do about the man.

11 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Moving BCFC to AV was nothing more than a smokescreen to flush out objections that would ease the path for that ultimate aim

For this to be correct you'd have to believe that, even if England had won the right to host the 2018 World Cup, Ashton Vale would never have been built - even though Bristol was a host city and Ashton Gate too small to meet FIFA's criteria. Really???

I am no fan of Lansdown's slowly, slowly approach, nor a fan of the people he currently sees fit to run our football club, but I honestly believe your understandable concerns - some of which I share - are turning to paranoia.

I take the exact opposite view about Ashton Vale.

That project, one of that magnitude, could ONLY have happened in our city - where the council can't organise a piss up in a brewery** - if there was massive political pressure from above, leaning on our useless council to make sure it happened. Which is what would have happened - the UK government, FIFA etc etc would have made it abundantly clear to our dullard councillors that with Bristol confirmed as a host city and Ashton Gate not big enough, a new stadium at Ashton Vale MUST happen.

All subsequent objections from the half dozen people who stopped it happening would have been swept aside because the alternative - Bristol stripped of it's host city status - would have been unthinkable.

But then England didn't win the nomination, the council were able to do what they always do, and the rest is history.

Fwiw, I've met one of the architects who worked on the Ashton Vale design - it would have made today's Ashton Gate look like toy town imo. Why spend time and money going that far if you never intended to build it in the first place.

** It's ironic that we had to elect the owner of a brewery as mayor for the council to get it's arse in gear and actually get stuff done. 

16 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

For this to be correct you'd have to believe that, even if England had won the right to host the 2018 World Cup, Ashton Vale would never have been built - even though Bristol was a host city and Ashton Gate too small to meet FIFA's criteria. Really???

I am no fan of Lansdown's slowly, slowly approach, nor a fan of the people he currently sees fit to run our football club, but I honestly believe your understandable concerns - some of which I share - are turning to paranoia.

That project, one of that magnitude, could ONLY have happened in our city - where the council can't organise a piss up in a brewery** - if there was massive political pressure from above, leaning on our useless council to make sure it happened. Which is what would have happened - the UK government, FIFA etc etc would have made it abundantly clear to our dullard councillors that with Bristol confirmed as a host city and Ashton Gate not big enough, a new stadium at Ashton Vale MUST happen.

All subsequent objections from the half dozen people who stopped it happening would have been swept aside because the alternative - Bristol stripped of it's host city status - would have been unthinkable.

But then England didn't win the nomination, the council were able to do what they always do, and the rest is history.

Fwiw, I've met one of the architects who worked on the Ashton Vale design - it would have made today's Ashton Gate look like toy town imo. Why spend time and money going that far if you never intended to build it in the first place.

** It's ironic that we had to elect the owner of a brewery as mayor for the council to get it's arse in gear and actually get stuff done. 

With this post, you've literally stopped me wasting my time replying to @BigAlToby&Liam post. Thank you. 

With the greatest of respect,  if all he wanted was the AV land, why did it take him so long to apply for planning permission for a new stadium at AV. He would have done it straight away.  Why would he build a new training ground if it was about AV.  Why would he invest in racing drivers, if it was about AV? Why would he invest in the flyers, if it was just about AV? 

Sorry, but your over the top conspiracy just doesn't add up on any level.   

SL simpy wants to use his wealth to better this club and this city, but in a sustainable way! Some of what he has done hasn't worked, some of it could have been done better, but SL really has the club at heart. The guy should be praised to the high heavens, not  bombarded with ridiculous theories of greed.  Shame on you.   

27 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Thought it failed under some obscure TVG legislation which in turn fed into legislation from the 19th century- unsure how you can blame the council for that. Went to court didn't it?

A quick google search says the TVG Legislation which in turn fed into 1857 Inclosure Act and Commons Act 1876 (or these fed into the TVG legislation, vice versa)!

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

I don't think SL is a bad man for a split second Badger08, but I equally don't regard him as the saintly benefactor that some do. I therefore believe that whilst he does underwrite the club's bebt (which I think he needs to take some responsibility for), he could go a long way into actually putting the club into the sustainable status he says he wants, simply by transferring real estate, and could even deduct whatever he put into Ashton Vale plus interest so he's not out of pocket. I don't think he will do that though, which is why I think like I do about the man.

The clubs debt are his debts as he and he alone is responsible for the employees he`s taken on and persists with:dunno: we will go as far as he wants/lets us go. ok he wants to take as little risk as possible but us and our club will be very limited by that plan.

53 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The village green stuff was rather more than half a dozen objectors.It was backed by politically motivated well organised folks including a gashead lawyer, and was heard at an extremely elevated level. Not saying the government might not have stepped in, but it would have been a lot easier to have moved it somewhere else.

2 hours ago, Badger08 said:

With this post, you've literally stopped me wasting my time replying to @BigAlToby&Liam post. Thank you. 

With the greatest of respect,  if all he wanted was the AV land, why did it take him so long to apply for planning permission for a new stadium at AV. He would have done it straight away.  Why would he build a new training ground if it was about AV.  Why would he invest in racing drivers, if it was about AV? Why would he invest in the flyers, if it was just about AV? 

Sorry, but your over the top conspiracy just doesn't add up on any level.   

SL simpy wants to use his wealth to better this club and this city, but in a sustainable way! Some of what he has done hasn't worked, some of it could have been done better, but SL really has the club at heart. The guy should be praised to the high heavens, not  bombarded with ridiculous theories of greed.  Shame on you.   

Oi Badger.

Never mind shame on me. I’m entitled to that opinion and I’ll stick to it thanks.

Tell me though. You mentioned naivety on your part in an earlier post.

Did @Loon plage post explain things better than mine. Bristol City FOOTBALL CLUB no longer owns Ashton Gate. Through a number of limited companies - some offshore - Lansdown does.

You ok with that? Do you now get one of my points?

It’s a really simple concept. Lansdown owns something that was once owned by Bristol City.

I don’t give a flying **** about Man City or any other club. This might well be “the model” for football nowadays but it don’t make it right.

Ashton Gate is now simply a venue that hosts activities - of which football is now one of several.

Jesus. You can even see Muse now if you fancy it. Along with Take That and the Spice Girls.

Tell me. Where’s the benefit to anyone other than Lansdown in doing that? Unless Gary Barlow or Sporty are going to play up front then I’m struggling.

You ask why Lansdown invests in racing drivers and basketball. Simples. To appeal to another sporting sector who will buy tickets to fill whatever stadium he wants to put those events on in.

Lansdown rode the Ashton Vale Trojan Horse into BS3 a long time ago.

First and foremost an investor. A sportsman or supporter of BCFC he ain’t.

If he was ask yourself this. Ever seen him many moons ago stood by your side on the terraces with it pissing down?

No. Thought not ?

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not only did we not get those targets, we actually overall managed to weaken in the first half of the season at least the promotion side IMO.

However, we were walking a bit of a financial tightrope at the time as the Lansdown was not yet built and the corporate facilities therefore were not complete too so the signings may have been a touch unfeasible- but the first 2 undoubtedly and maybe the 3rd would have also yielded a healthy profit in terms of selling them on.

However even in terms of those who we lost post promotion we lost Tavernier, Cunningham, Elliott retired and a wildcard in JET. We brought Kodjia and Baker on loan (I know other loanees but they made minimal impact), one thing not to sign players you are competing with those with parachute payments for (Maguire and Gray) but to actually let some good depth at worst go and not get properly replaced is poor indeed.

Mr P, just for correctness, James Tavenier wasn’t ours, he was on loan (from Wigan I think) in 14/15 promo season.

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks Dave- yeah now you mention it the loan thing- did we make much of an effort to sign him in the summer? Don't recall either way.

I think as fans we thought we should, but I think he was always going to Rangers.

Archived