IGNORED

Dear SL

Dolman Block B

20 hours ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

This is absolutely correct.

I sussed this out in 2008 and I am afraid switched off from a lifetime (thus far in 2008) of watching City, over the previous 40 years. I could not understand how someone with Lansdown's money and the amount of money he knew he would be worth going forward, could not want to take his club into the promised and when they were riding high at Xmas 2017 and simply needed a little more firepower up front.

Answer...He did not want the Premier League and he never will. 

The truth is the average long term fan puts more into the club in relation to means than Mr Lansdown.

Sustainability ha! That actually stands for 'Keeping a lid on it'

TIME FOR A CHANGE ... Tell you what ...If I had the money I would start an ' FC City of Bristol' we'd call ourselves 'The Robin and play somewhere in BS3 and I know many former City players who would join me. Why because they feel as disengaged with club as we do...

You mean riding high in Xmas 2007 with the firepower up front thing?

I defend Lansdown in many instances, but I certainly agree that was the time to roll the dice. Adebola did alright but we really needed someone clinical as you say- imagine Maynard in the 07/08 side and particularly our setup before Christmas? Think he could have definitely flourished and that may have been enough in the final analysis.

Now things are different, the landscape is different. In some ways what you said about 2007 could have applied 10 years on too but with a big caveat. Because of the FFP thing- the FFP thing means we have to build like this, for the forseeable to find a way to succeed despite big losses last year- we have to be far better in our scouting for a start, both in terms of quality and quantity of the network and most importantly players. Continue building, bring through youth- in some instances sell the key assets but not always- the plan needs the flexibility built in so we can have some leeway moving forward, i.e. one year we hold what we have and add a bit if we can afford it if we're top 6 at Christmas say. Other years we'll have to sell in the summer but if it's simply 'buy ,develop, sell, buy, develop sell' verbatim then that's a huge flaw.

For the record having looked up the various sums and estimates, last season if we had rolled the dice we could legitimately have lost £4.1m more. That's a grand total, not in fees, not in wages but a total- and if it hadn't come off the rebuilding job necessary would have been even bigger moving forward and held us back for a bit longer.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You mean riding high in Xmas 2007 with the firepower up front thing?

I defend Lansdown in many instances, but I certainly agree that was the time to roll the dice. Adebola did alright but we really needed someone clinical as you say- imagine Maynard in the 07/08 side and particularly our setup before Christmas? Think he could have definitely flourished and that may have been enough in the final analysis.

Now things are different, the landscape is different. In some ways what you said about 2007 could have applied 10 years on too but with a big caveat. Because of the FFP thing- the FFP thing means we have to build like this, for the forseeable to find a way to succeed despite big losses last year- we have to be far better in our scouting for a start, both in terms of quality and quantity of the network and most importantly players. Continue building, bring through youth- in some instances sell the key assets but not always- the plan needs the flexibility built in so we can have some leeway moving forward, i.e. one year we hold what we have and add a bit if we can afford it if we're top 6 at Christmas say. Other years we'll have to sell in the summer but if it's simply 'buy ,develop, sell, buy, develop sell' verbatim then that's a huge flaw.

For the record having looked up the various sums and estimates, last season if we had rolled the dice we could legitimately have lost £4.1m more. That's a grand total, not in fees, not in wages but a total- and if it hadn't come off the rebuilding job necessary would have been even bigger moving forward and held us back for a bit longer.

Yes, please excuse the typo.

You are right, January 2008 was the time to roll the dice and my own feeling at the time was that it would not have taken a large investment  A quick forward was probably all that we needed for those last few months of the season. A new signing or, even a high profile loan player at that time would have galvanised the other boys in the team and two successive promotions would have been a distinct possibility. It was a crime to miss the opportunity, they don't come along that often, as its proven over the past ten years. I also believe if SL had that situation again, he would do exactly the same thing...and hold back and I am afraid thats the sinking feeling he gives me.

The yes men he brings in as team manager, just adds more weight to my thinking.

I

4 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

My view is this

If we stay up how are the club going to convince so many of us to part with our money again for next season?

Ive had a season ticket 39 years and will definitely not be renewing

That said I will attend games that suits me even if it costs more

Saying that the club are always offering decent deals for non season ticket holders to come to Ashton Gate

My heart will always be with City 

My Head says enough is enough 

Same here mate 58 years it's not our club anymore ripping you off when buying tickets away a pound per ticket in same envelope says it all eight of us always do Sheffield eight quid on top of ticket prices 

9 hours ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Same here mate 58 years it's not our club anymore ripping you off when buying tickets away a pound per ticket in same envelope says it all eight of us always do Sheffield eight quid on top of ticket prices 

Spot on

Honestly my little mob of friends no one is renewing if this carry’s on

SL must really take a look at this 

18 hours ago, phantom said:

Sadly agree with you both, the desire has gone for me out of supporting the side

The games are dull and the only reason to keep going is to meet up with friends I have made over the years following City home and away

Massive mistake potentially but I bought tickets for Saturday and a group of us are going up

Well I'm not even spending money for tkts for the Huddersfield  FA cup game, can't be bothered, I'm not paying to watch while Johnson’s in charge, 

On 03/12/2018 at 08:32, SX227 said:

I keep saying it (and my source is as high as it gets) that the end game is to sell up the whole thing once PP is changed for AV.

Could you explain what you mean please mate. eg do you mean obtain planning permission at Ashton Vale for a new stadium, so that we end up with a sports complex with 2 stadiums for football, rugby, basketball, other events etc..?

Then SL would plan to sell the whole lot?

16 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

What, and you have? 

All I'm reading on here is absolute tosh.  A load of posters that aren't happy with the way the season is panning out, so they're have a proper sulk.  A load of posters, that when things aren't going perfectly, will throw every conspiracy theory they can think of. A load of supporters, and I use the term lightly, that when the chips are down, cry and moan about everything.  EVERYTHING.  Fans that always know better.   

I'm not sure exactly what people are expecting? We are a football club that has traditionally played its football in the lower echelons of the footballing pyramid.  We are a club, that if it wasn't for 8 players, might not actually exist. WE WERE FINANCIALLY ******.  But yet, where we stand still isn't good enough.  Oh, how people forget recent history.  Oh, how people bring up "the good old days" before Bristol Sport.  Not being funny, the good old days were shocking!  They were shite.  They were unstable.  We now have a footballing stadium to be proud of.  The best football stadium in the South West of the entire country.    We are financially stable, we are an average Championship team. All of which we would have all killed for only 4 years ago.  We have a new training facility. We have one of the best academies in the country.  We are now looking at extending this beautiful new home to make our financial outlook even safer.  But, yet, after all of this and MUCH MORE, we have fans still moaning and groaning about an owner that didn't have to do any of it.  One even suggesting he isn't a fan?  And people have the nerve to say I haven't got a clue.   

Seriously, reading this forum you would think we were scrapping around in league two..   Yes, everything isn't all sunshine and rainbows at the moment, but my god, we have a lot more to be happy about than to moan about.  

"ALWAYS BELIEVE" don't make me choke on this massive dish of irony. 

Well said, a run of positive results will change the mood considerably. I don't know if LJ is the right man to take us forward but he's just as likely to do the job as the next man, frankly all managers are super stars when their club is successful and totally clueless when results aren't going their way...right now both LJ and DD in the latter category.

in my time as a City supporter there have been 3 giants associated with the club, Harry Dolman, Alan Dicks and now SL who has contributed significantly more than anyone previously and continues to do so. Yes, things on the pitch need to improve but everything else I look at is so far ahead of where we've ever been before I can't believe some of the nonsense I'm reading.

31 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

What, and you have? 

All I'm reading on here is absolute tosh.  A load of posters that aren't happy with the way the season is panning out, so they're have a proper sulk.  A load of posters, that when things aren't going perfectly, will throw around every conspiracy theory they can think of. A load of supporters, and I use the term lightly, that when the chips are down, cry and moan about everything.  EVERYTHING. 

I'm not sure exactly what people are expecting? We are a football club that has traditionally played its football in the lower echelons of the footballing pyramid.  We are a club, that if it wasn't for 8 players, might not actually exist. WE WERE FINANCIALLY ******.  But yet, where we stand still isn't good enough.  Oh, how people forget recent history.  Oh, how people bring up "the good old days" before Bristol Sport.  Not being funny, the good old days were shocking!  They were shite.  They were unstable.  We now have a footballing stadium to be proud of.  The best football stadium in the South West of the entire country.    We are financially stable, we are an average Championship team. All of which we would have all killed for only 4 years ago.  We have a new training facility. We have one of the best academies in the country.  We are now looking at extending this beautiful new home to make our financial outlook even safer.  But, yet, after all of this and MUCH MORE, we have fans still moaning and groaning about an owner that didn't have to do any of it in the bloody first place.  One even suggesting he isn't a fan?  And people have the nerve to say I haven't got a clue.   

Seriously, reading this forum you would think we were scrapping around in league two..   Yes, everything isn't all sunshine and rainbows at the moment, but my god, we have a lot more to be happy about than to moan about.  

Good morning LEE

4 minutes ago, Fatknacker said:

Well said, a run of positive results will change the mood considerably. I don't know if LJ is the right man to take us forward but he's just as likely to do the job as the next man, frankly all managers are super stars when their club is successful and totally clueless when results aren't going their way...right now both LJ and DD in the latter category.

in my time as a City supporter there have been 3 giants associated with the club, Harry Dolman, Alan Dicks and now SL who has contributed significantly more than anyone previously and continues to do so. Yes, things on the pitch need to improve but everything else I look at is so far ahead of where we've ever been before I can't believe some of the nonsense I'm reading.

Hear what you're saying exactly and there are a lot of positives to look at down BS3, examples being an English billionaire owner, a lovely new stadium, brand new training facilities (pending) and the fact that, whilst we're not top of the table or looking for promotion, we're a far sight better off than a number of other Championship/League 1 clubs, our hated rivals included.

That said, I understand the discontent. Performances of late have been utter dross. Going to the Gate has become un-enjoyable and a chore for a lot of supporters this season.

I'm a patient man; I knew this season would be mediocre with a mid-table finish. But the performances recently, notably Saturday, was boring. Can't say I enjoyed going at all. In fact I wish I never. At present, the club or the games don't excite me. And this is why people moan. We don't necessarily expect greatness, but we do expect a bit of passion, entertainment, some sound managerial tactics.

37 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

What, and you have? 

All I'm reading on here is absolute tosh.  A load of posters that aren't happy with the way the season is panning out, so they're have a proper sulk.  A load of posters, that when things aren't going perfectly, will throw around every conspiracy theory they can think of. A load of supporters, and I use the term lightly, that when the chips are down, cry and moan about everything.  EVERYTHING. 

I'm not sure exactly what people are expecting? We are a football club that has traditionally played its football in the lower echelons of the footballing pyramid.  We are a club, that if it wasn't for 8 players, might not actually exist. WE WERE FINANCIALLY ******.  But yet, where we stand still isn't good enough.  Oh, how people forget recent history.  Oh, how people bring up "the good old days" before Bristol Sport.  Not being funny, the good old days were shocking!  They were shite.  They were unstable.  We now have a footballing stadium to be proud of.  The best football stadium in the South West of the entire country.    We are financially stable, we are an average Championship team. All of which we would have all killed for only 4 years ago.  We have a new training facility. We have one of the best academies in the country.  We are now looking at extending this beautiful new home to make our financial outlook even safer.  But, yet, after all of this and MUCH MORE, we have fans still moaning and groaning about an owner that didn't have to do any of it in the bloody first place.  One even suggesting he isn't a fan?  And people have the nerve to say I haven't got a clue.   

You are talking over 40 ******* years ago. Lots of clubs have been in just as much trouble and have been in the Prem since.

And all that 8 men had a dream bollocks please don't rewrite history.

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

Thought you'd switched off? Shouldn't you be on the Bath City forum? 

Why don't you inform everyone on here your background, they will then understand your blind view to what is going on here

54 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

What, and you have? 

All I'm reading on here is absolute tosh.  A load of posters that aren't happy with the way the season is panning out, so they're have a proper sulk. 

So you CLEARLY have not been taking note of what has been said. The side has been shockingly out of form since JANUARY, we don't look like we have any idea where we are going and if you are so against those opinions on here, try reading one of the many press reports that describe as equally bad

10 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

So youd rather Scott Davidson, right? Or a foreign owner.  The point I'm making is, it could be a lot god damn worse, but everyone seems to want more, more, more.

Yes it COULD be a lot worse but IT COULD be a whole lot better !

Surely you agree things are not right on the pitch? This is why Steve is getting the stick on many forms of social media and in the press.

But add in the connections between himself, his son and the Johnson family away from football, is a big part of why people are having a problem understanding the loyalty on the pitch

Foreign owner? Like at Bournemouth / Cardiff etc?

I think in some ways Lansdown is a bit bitter that he didn't spend the money sooner to get us promoted, back when FFP wasn't a thing, because a £100m splurge over two seasons to get to the Premier League would've probably done more for us than £10m over ten with five of those years staring at and experiencing relegation. I think the Bristol Sport initiative, and the new stuff going on near Ashton Gate is a sign that he's looking to invest, but these things take time. The money needs to funnel in from somewhere commercial.

Bristol Sport is also there as a legacy. Bristol City probably won't reach the Premier League in Lansdown's lifetime, but at least he'll have a legacy around the leading sports teams in Bristol. 

As I've said countless times on here, LJ is just a puppet for Lansdown's vision, and if LJ leaves nothing will change. History already suggests this. The club switched towards its five pillars model around the time of McInnes, and SOD was essentially the first version of LJ - a head coach that would buy into the vision of selling assets and bringing youth into the side. Obviously, that went tits up, and due to relegation Lansdown ditched this model to bring in Cotterill.

After Cotterill bucked the trend to bring in experienced talent alongside youth, and managed to get us promoted, most should remember that he was no longer backed in the transfer market, and he had one eye on the door before our return season to the Championship even started. That was evident when during our friendlies he refused to put out a full bench. We had returned to the five pillars, and once Cotterill was sacked we brought in a new Yes Man - LJ.

The only way things will change is for LJ to get us relegated. The club has set a course, and if LJ is to be sacked before we are relegated he'll be replaced with a manager with the same vision as SOD and LJ - someone that buys into the vision for the club.

I'd say that LJ has done a decent job with what he's got. Sure, the performances aren't inspiring, but he lost his best players last season. I expected nothing but the same as last season, and I reckon we could still do that. IMO, we're as likely to lose LJ to another Championship role than we are to lose him to relegation, so if you really want LJ gone you should hope that we succeed enough for another Championship club to assume it's LJ that is keeping us afloat.

If Steve sells the job lot, what does Jon do with his day/week/life? Can't see it myself. What I see is a football club somewhat clumsily entwined with a rugby mob, a basketball team and other flotsam, so as to make it more unlikely anyone will buy in. 

Can you buy the football club separately, on its own? Who will want to buy the whole bloody lot?

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

So youd rather Scott Davidson, right? Or a foreign owner.  The point I'm making is, it could be a lot god damn worse, but everyone seems to want more, more, more.  I'd love to see SL pull out, then people would have something to moan about.  Maybe they would prefer it that way.  

Scott Davidson had his heart in the right place I think and put a lot more relative wealth in than SL . Also nothing wrong with a foreign owner if they are the right ones, and there are plenty of UK owners who are disasters. People want more more more because of the bullshit coming from SL LJ and BS, and more importantly, the fact that other clubs with less resources have gone past us and done it. SL won't pull out because he is looking at the end game and nobody would purchase BS as it is currently structured. What he will possibly do though is try  treading water on the relative cheap and when he makes his money at AV maybe splinter the sports entities off again, try to sell each whilst retaining ownership of the stadium .

One thing we can agree on Badger08 is that it could of course be a lot worse.

4 hours ago, Badger08 said:

What, and you have? 

Badger.

We have nothing. The club many of us followed through thick and thin is no more.

Who has it? Lansdown. Talk about having a stadium we are proud of? We? Us? The club.

To quote your earlier gif - bullshit.

BCFC has nothing of any meaningful value. Lansdown has taken care of that I’m sorry to say.

And I’m wearing my big pants. As I always do ?

And if you want to look back you’ll find my tune has been consistent. Lansdown has always had his eye on the prize that matters most to him. And it isn’t BCFC.

Come to think of it. Those big pants. Landsdown has pullled them down good and proper.....

4 hours ago, Badger08 said:

So youd rather Scott Davidson, right? Or a foreign owner.  The point I'm making is, it could be a lot god damn worse, but everyone seems to want more, more, more.  I'd love to see SL pull out, then people would have something to moan about.  Maybe they would prefer it that way.  

One thing Scott Davidson had was he was a massive fan (still is) and bled Bristol City

A very passionate man who done his best  

Ok mistakes while in charge at the Gate and only had 10% of SL wealth but done everything he possibly could to please our fan base

I’m not arguing at all that SL has pushed the club to new heights and paid off the clubs debts to keep us afloat, totally love the man for that , but he really needs to address the current management at the football club because in all my years I’ve never heard so many discontented fans before and after a match and if it carry’s on the club could loose thousands of season ticket holders 2019/20

We can only wait and see 

4 hours ago, Undy English said:

Hear what you're saying exactly and there are a lot of positives to look at down BS3, examples being an English billionaire owner, a lovely new stadium, brand new training facilities (pending) and the fact that, whilst we're not top of the table or looking for promotion, we're a far sight better off than a number of other Championship/League 1 clubs, our hated rivals included.

That said, I understand the discontent. Performances of late have been utter dross. Going to the Gate has become un-enjoyable and a chore for a lot of supporters this season.

I'm a patient man; I knew this season would be mediocre with a mid-table finish. But the performances recently, notably Saturday, was boring. Can't say I enjoyed going at all. In fact I wish I never. At present, the club or the games don't excite me. And this is why people moan. We don't necessarily expect greatness, but we do expect a bit of passion, entertainment, some sound managerial tactics.

Exactly

I think in the last Steve has been fairly good at being in tune with the fan base and generally making changes at the right time. 

That said, in my 20 odd years watching City I’ve never seen such a disillusioned fan base. 

LJ, MA, the new media team, the new crest proposal, ‘customers not fans’, the season ticket debacle at the end of last season, all seem to have stirred up the fan base against aspects of the club. Eventually this, alongside poor performances and results will drive ticket holders away. 

So if Steve really has taken the back seat that his role as owner not chairman suggests, then maybe it’s Jon Lansdown who needs to get a bit more in touch with the fan base. 

1 hour ago, Dredd said:

I think in the last Steve has been fairly good at being in tune with the fan base and generally making changes at the right time. 

That said, in my 20 odd years watching City I’ve never seen such a disillusioned fan base. 

LJ, MA, the new media team, the new crest proposal, ‘customers not fans’, the season ticket debacle at the end of last season, all seem to have stirred up the fan base against aspects of the club. Eventually this, alongside poor performances and results will drive ticket holders away. 

So if Steve really has taken the back seat that his role as owner not chairman suggests, then maybe it’s Jon Lansdown who needs to get a bit more in touch with the fan base. 

I wouldn't hold your breath.

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

So does it come down to SL being let down by those he left in charge when he stepped back from the day to day running of the club? 

Might well be but by doing nothing about it - even if that is the case - makes him, in my book, equally culpable.

Look at like this. You’ve worked hard all your life. You’ve got a pension. You like the look of HLs investment service and transfer the lot to them.

Through inexperienced or incapable fund managers your pension reduces in value. 12 months ago it had everything going for it. The fund value was on the up. It was the talk of the town.

Then 12 months later the same fund is worth less. HL tried their best to prop it up but try as hard as they might it’s value slipped.

Would SL still employ that under performing fund manager? Would he bollocks. He’d be on his way.

The fact that he blindly sticks to his man tells us a lot. LJ and MA should have answered difficult questions, and been relieved of their duties long ago.

But then as I’ve said before, SL and me don’t have much in common - one of which is a lifelong and everlasting passion for BCFC. 

SL? Nope. Me.

Archived