IGNORED

I feel so disengaged

Lez

Said this during the summer, taking a break from going to the games has been the best thing I have done! This is my second season without a season ticket and I have even turned down free tickets as I literally have no interest in going.

Start of last season was tough getting used to not going and yes I got caught up in the cup run but other than that I find it a relief not to have to put up with what’s happening at the club currently.

My decision not to go was purely financial and not linked to LJ or Bristol Sports at the time, however I am so glad not to have invested my time or money in this club currently.

Years ago I couldn’t have imagined feeling the way I do about City as I do right now but the love isn’t there at the moment. Hopefully it can be rekindled. And having been a season ticket holder 25 years plus, I have been through the highs and lows so it’s not just because things aren’t great currently. I just have no interest!

Woild advise anyone who feels the same to try taking a break and seeing how you get on without it.

8 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Bristol City football club as we know it. Is finished 

And this is the problem I can see happening.

The club has changed/lost its original identity. This Bristol Sport brand is diluting the historically strong brand of Bristol City FC in Bristol. Many of my mates have stopped attending games recently. Find myself thinking I will be giving it a miss for a while now as just need a break from all this dross being dished up.

Being old skool we need to get back to what we used to be. Yes the new ground is great but what happens on the pitch is far more important than off the pitch. Concerts, rugby etc is of no interest to true football fans in Bristol.

SL - PLEASE MAKE CHANGES before it is too late?

Completely agree with the OP.

Next year will by my tenth year as a season ticket holder and I'm really trying to think of a compelling reason why I should lump down another 1200 quid on three season tickets again. 

Hate the coach

Players are boring, as well as shit

No star quality 

Sanitised match day experience 

Zero atmosphere, moronic match day host

Useless signings

Crap foreign imports 

Contempt for the fans 

Shoved around match days and stupid KO times 

Come on City, tell me why you are deserving of another renewal? Sell it to me ... 

1 hour ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Think people need a bit of perspective and stop wetting the bed! Yes it’s not been a great 2018 but we are still a competitive championship team, with a promising youth set up and infrastructure that’s improving all the time!  You would think we were in league 2 with some of these doom and gloom posts!

Your not wrong but the football is dreadful and uninspiring. Nothing to get excited about. I dont think the players are given enough freedom. It’s all a bit regimented. 

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

The club has changed/lost its original identity. This Bristol Sport brand is diluting the historically strong brand of Bristol City FC in Bristol. Many of my mates have stopped attending games recently. Find myself thinking I will be giving it a miss for a while now as just need a break from all this dross being dished up.

Being old skool we need to get back to what we used to be. Yes the new ground is great but what happens on the pitch is far more important than off the pitch. Concerts, rugby etc is of no interest to true football fans in Bristol.

From the moment the stadium was completed I knew our identity was being eroded. I said so on here and got shouted down.

When the Heineken Bar first opened i was invited to meal during a televised England Wales Rugby match. I looked out in the direction of the Dolman which spelt out BRISTOL

No longer Bristol CIty Football Club

I looked around the bar and there was nothing that had any links to Bristol City.

We moved from the Dolman Stand because the leg room in there is poor for a bloke my height. I was OK in League One because often there would be an empty seat so i could sit on an angle. not in the Championship.

The new choice of stand was the Lansdown...to be greeted with rugby history and stats. Im now entering a stadium that no longer feels like Home

We look at the pitch with foreign markings. it no longer looks like a football pitch. its now a sports field

I just looked at The Bristol Sport page with the plans for all to see with Basketball court etc etc.

What was once a Football Club it is now turning into a Sports Club . Scandanavia and Eastern Europe have this kind of thing with football, Handball, Gymnastics etc etc

I dont want to support a Sports Club. I want to support a football team

And that teams name is being diluted . New Stadium etc etc?

In hindsight i'd have said "Bollocks you can shove it up yer arse"

Off to uni next year and honestly couldn't think of a better time to get away. As others have said before the rugby is now a much more exciting proposition, I come out of Bristol games feeling entertained and knowing the players gave 110%. Even bristol manor farm on Friday night was better than any dross I've seen here this season. 

Luckily I've decided to go to the rugby instead of Brum next weekend, so I miss out on the crap performance that is bound to come there... 

3 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

Hi Lee 

We’re shit

Dreadful football and going no where 

One thing that gets right on my nerves on here is when someone tries to be positive and people reply by saying 'hi Lee' 

Just because he's not a complete doom and gloom merchant, who only sees the bad in everything, doesn't mean he's the head coach ffs

2 hours ago, Babbacome Dave said:

Fontainofallknowledge makes some very good points, great academy set up, just about middle of the table team (for the time being) we are currently not a competitive team, a wonderful new stadium and I'm sure a number of other things behind the scenes (hopefully). The shame is our owner is obviously happy with what he has at the moment, what with his football teams, his rugby team and dare say his basketball team. He obviously sees things for him are hunky dory, this includes the current BCFC head coach.  I too would like to see little lee replaced with an experienced championship manager. However I firmly believe that all the vitreous comments made on this forum should be directed to the owner not the head coach.

Mr. Lansdown wake up bite the bullet, listen to the supporters of this football and make changes in your management team both on and off the field before it's too late.

Last time he did that we got SoD. :laugh:. However I agree!

4 hours ago, Granty said:

100% spot on for me.

almost all season it's been a sense of boredom you can sense it in the entire crowd as well, poor tactics negative football and I know a number of people that have stopped going because of exactly these reasons

I use to get a real buzz before a game, now it feels like a chore and after 40 years of support I'm beginning to think I could spend my time more wisely on Saturday.

If only it was Saturday, haven't checked but seems they are almost the exception rather than the rule this season. 

2 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Next year will by my tenth year as a season ticket holder and I'm really trying to think of a compelling reason why I should lump down another 1200 quid on three season tickets again. 

Hate the coach

No star quality 

Useless signings

Crap foreign imports 

Contempt for the fans 

Come on City, tell me why you are deserving of another renewal? Sell it to me ... 

Oh how I hope someone at the club sees your post.

There is certainly not a lot to look forward to. The style of football (Ipswich win included) does not produce much threat or opportunity and very little to get excited about. What really depresses me is that at Ashton Gate no matter how bad the manager (perhaps Pulis is an exception) we would always find a way to rally at home with the final ten minutes and create some excitement and noise. Even Cotterill and then Pemberton as caretaker at this level without anything like the backing and with just 15 senior players could throw on Burns or somebody and get us going at opponents. There's been **** all of that under Johnson, it's as flat as a pancake and you know on about 70 minutes how it will end.

Millwall were such a poor side who will struggle this season and played the final 10 minutes like they were clinging on for a replay, but they'd have probably won it if we'd had an extra 5 minutes, such was the absence of threat we posed. It's 1-1 on a quiet Sunday and supporters are streaming out with 10 minutes to go, that's the Lee Johnson era for you Steve Lansdown. It's December and the manager has yet to find a pattern of play that his players can execute to really batter poor opponents, he has created a weak demoralised team that is just labouring through the motions, and bar the odd own goal and fortuitous result against the divisions worst, will continue slip sliding away into obscurity.

It is frustrating watching City. TBH I gave up my season ticket after the debacle of 2 seasons ago. I go to selected games but it really was making me feel ill and ruining my midweek and weekend. Johnson should have gone then. Are we any further forward.... debatable. On paper mid table in the toughest league in the world seems pretty good. However, the worry is that a run of bad results could see as in trouble and thus, there are very fine margins indeed between success and failure. This season we have been poor. There is no real pattern to our play. I am not sure LJ knows his best 11 (we have been there before) or best formation. Players come in and out and then disappear. 

If Steve Cotterill had been given the resources available to LJ then I wonder where we might have been. In fact, that is what grates me the most. LJ has had more resources at his disposal than any other City manager, but with Mark Ashton, those resources have been squandered. Example - we needed a midfield general. We sign Jens Hegeler who is a solid pro playing at Bundesliga level and in Europe. He has barely played. What was the point of signing him? LJ then comes out and says he can't play in a midfield 2. Thus, why sign him. Pointless waste of time for the player, except he is no doubt well paid. The list goes on. 

Johnson is a decent enough bloke but he is out of his depth and playing badly on a regular basis only serves to antagonise the fan base. 

9 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

You’ve contradicted yourself, you said all this Bristol Sport branding has stopped your mates going and maybe you soon and then said it’s whats on the pitch that matters??  Doesn’t make any sense

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Ahhh. Now here’s where I disagree with you. I genuinely think the squad is alright. However, LJ will never get the best out of it. 

I can understand others and differing views on the squad Fordy

Just personally , I think it lacks real quality , real characters , lacks goals and is very imbalanced

Weve had worse squads at this level and we have enough foundations for a pretty decent side , but judging the squad as a whole , for the reasons I’ve suggested .....not convinced we are going on a decent run anytime soon

January is going to be interesting - whatever any of us think Lee is clearly going to be here so I expect us to be hot on a Goalscorer and things could change

Id suggest January is the most important window of Lees career , I don’t think we can afford to get it wrong in any way

Bear in mind as well mate, Kalas and DaSilva aren’t ours, and COD won’t be here after May , or more likely January

I think there's a lot of 'getting old' and 'watching too many highlights' on this thread. 

Also, if you prefer Xmas shopping, then fill your boots mate, it's a free world. 

Surprised the regulars didn't see some of the old Fizz coming back into this game because I certainly did, admittedly only once in the first half (how did we miss that?). From 46mins to the long injury I thought we were really brilliant but we didn't keep it up and (an expected) mistake by our brilliant young hope did for us. But we all move on to Brum, not a happy hunting ground for the players but always fun with the zulus! 

Whenever we go on a bad run of form, we get a post from some veteran City fan, saying that they've never felt so disengaged with the club, and that  things aren't how they used to be in the good old days.

I'm not saying their feelings aren't genuine, but surely people realise that supporting this club is a thankless task and more often than not, we are going to be shit.

As for the whole Bristol Sport brand thing.. well it's the club moving into the 21st century. Modernise or risk being left behind.. Look at the sags.

12 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Hate the coach

No star quality 

Useless signings

Crap foreign imports 

Contempt for the fans 

Ran out of likes.

I think SL is taking one hell of a gamble sticking with the current "plan" and personnel in the face of growing resentment from the fanbase. It is pretty clear that the matchday experience has been changing over the past few years and is no longer a time to let off steam or express your passion for the club. SL and his BS acolytes would love nothing better than a stadium, full of painty faced Jester hat wearing wealthy folk doing Mexican waves. The traditional fans can **** off, but if this situation continues, then the newly acquired "fans" will lose interest and the club will be desperately trying to reconnect with the supporters who have tolerated shite for decades, but it may well be too late.

This is the second season I haven't had a SC although the first where I have avoided attending apart from Blackburn and Wednesday . I spend £30 in local hostelry's instead and sadly don't feel I have missed out on anything.

12 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Bristol City football club as we know it. Is finished 

You're probably right, this version suffering from massive investment, financially secure and with a bright future.

if anyone is gong to manage a football club to maximise its potential I'd select SL, just throwing money to secure a short term fix doesn't work, he's done that already.

Building and investing in a solid foundation including stadium, pitch, academy and a stable management team gives us the best chance of long term success, not knee jerk, short term leaps into the dark.

As far as I can see, the model being used for both the rugby and football clubs is the same and it's working well for the Bears, so let's give it more time for City.

2 minutes ago, Fatknacker said:

You're probably right, this version suffering from massive investment, financially secure and with a bright future.

if anyone is gong to manage a football club to maximise its potential I'd select SL, just throwing money to secure a short term fix doesn't work, he's done that already.

Building and investing in a solid foundation including stadium, pitch, academy and a stable management team gives us the best chance of long term success, not knee jerk, short term leaps into the dark.

As far as I can see, the model being used for both the rugby and football clubs is the same and it's working at the well for the Bears, so let's give it more time for City.

Rugby and football are not the same and never will be.

The Bears spent an incredible sum of money and have (I believe?) the highest paid player in world rugby.

12 hours ago, harrys said:

The fact is that for every one decent season we usually have to put up with  5 or 6 seasons of dross, it’s always been the case in my many years of being a fan, i’m afraid it comes with the territory 

Accept what you say -but to me we have become a bland team of homengenous indentikit footballers bought off the shelf with no discenible fans favourite.

Even when we were rubbish you could identify with someone in the team , Bradley Orr , Albert or even Mark Little , always felt they cared  put in that something extra and got the crowd going.

This team just lack passion and appear to be going through the motions 

16 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Ran out of likes.

I think SL is taking one hell of a gamble sticking with the current "plan" and personnel in the face of growing resentment from the fanbase. It is pretty clear that the matchday experience has been changing over the past few years and is no longer a time to let off steam or express your passion for the club. SL and his BS acolytes would love nothing better than a stadium, full of painty faced Jester hat wearing wealthy folk doing Mexican waves. The traditional fans can **** off, but if this situation continues, then the newly acquired "fans" will lose interest and the club will be desperately trying to reconnect with the supporters who have tolerated shite for decades, but it may well be too late.

This is the second season I haven't had a SC although the first where I have avoided attending apart from Blackburn and Wednesday . I spend £30 in local hostelry's instead and sadly don't feel I have missed out on anything.

******* rolling at that one, hahahahah ?

6 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Rugby and football are not the same and never will be.

The Bears spent an incredible sum of money and have (I believe?) the highest paid player in world rugby.

I agree, the sports are different but we are benefitting from the investment in stability and I'm sure the necessary investment will be made to achieve success on the field...I'm as frustrated as others that we aren't striding away at the top of the table but I don't think change now in either management personnel or style is the best way to achieving longer term success.

2 minutes ago, Fatknacker said:

I agree, the sports are different but we are benefitting from the investment in stability and I'm sure the necessary investment will be made to achieve success on the field...I'm as frustrated as others that we aren't striding away at the top of the table but I don't think change now in either management personnel or style is the best way to achieving longer term success.

Nor is ‘loyally’ sticking by underperforming employees in key positions 

15 hours ago, Lez said:

Hi all, going back to the Mciness disaster we were bottom of the league and dead in the water. But despite that i still went to games home and away and even though knew we were awful, yet valued the players. The likes of Davies, Anderson, Fontaine etc. Generally bang average with some awful players with them.

But now i just deel like ive lost all love. Is it the manager? Is it the dull football? Is the playing squad?

Apart from Eliiasson there is not one single player who excites me....maybe Brownhill and Kelly going forward.

Im falling out of love with the club and i cant see myself spending money anymore on this. Not in the short term.

If im honest, i think its the manager and brand of football, it really is horrible to qatch at the moment. Its also the structure, signing all these players over the past few years under lj, with so little progress and impact on the pitch.

So many former managers would have cried out for the investment LJ has had, and what has he done with it?

Everything right now is desperately poor and i feel so disillusioned with it all.

100%, I don't live in Bristol so every year just go to a couple of home games and the London and the Birmingham games. This year, for the first time in forever, me, my brother and dad all decided it wasn't worth going Birmingham away.

Don't enjoy watching us and don't really have any engagement at the moment and so why waste my money!

Archived