IGNORED

I feel so disengaged

Lez

1 minute ago, Fatknacker said:

I agree, the sports are different but we are benefitting from the investment in stability and I'm sure the necessary investment will be made to achieve success on the field...I'm as frustrated as others that we aren't striding away at the top of the table but I don't think change now in either management personnel or style is the best way to achieving longer term success.

It's not the league position that frustrates me, we're a midtable team. I'm alright with that.

What's frustrating is the lack of passion, blood and guts in our football. No fight, no bottle.

What's frustrating is the lack of entertainment I now get from watching City as a consequence of the beige football we play under LJ.

What's frustrating is the amount of backing SL is prepared to give to a bang average manager, who is, no disrespect intended, quite probably out of his depth, whereas we all know what happened with SC and Harry Maguire.

What's frustrating is that investing in a fancy stadium and a new pitch WILL NOT get you promoted, investing in personnel and experienced, capable man managers will.

Trigger pulling time imo.

5 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

It's not the league position that frustrates me, we're a midtable team. I'm alright with that.

What's frustrating is the lack of passion, blood and guts in our football. No fight, no bottle.

What's frustrating is the lack of entertainment I now get from watching City as a consequence of the beige football we play under LJ.

What's frustrating is the amount of backing SL is prepared to give to a bang average manager, who is, no disrespect intended, quite probably out of his depth, whereas we all know what happened with SC and Harry Maguire.

What's frustrating is that investing in a fancy stadium and a new pitch WILL NOT get you promoted, investing in personnel and experienced, capable man managers will.

Well said 

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Ahhh. Now here’s where I disagree with you. I genuinely think the squad is alright. However, LJ will never get the best out of it. 

I know they are young, but do you really think Eisa, Adelakun, Pisano, Watkins and even perhaps Weimann would make any of the teams that will finish in the top 6 this year?

I worry that the problem is that even the experienced pro's around them are not good enough to compensate for the the inexperience we recruit.

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

100% agree, yes the new stadium is great, but **** the new stadium.

Currently rather have us playing in the old AG (which I loved), with a boisterous intimidating atmosphere, crowd behind the team, with players prepared to die for the shirt, winning games playing a more attractive style of football than this crap!

16 hours ago, Shuffle said:

100% agree with this post as mirrors my mood.

Was bored at the game today and have been for weeks. There’s no way I’ll be spending money on away games anymore as religiously have travelled but what’s the point with performances as they are. 

Not getting angry anymore about results but am with LJs constant spin and the whole identify thing really annoys me. 

This club has consumed my thoughts and money but I’m falling out of love after 45 years of supporting. 

I’ll keep going out of duty but until LJ goes I cannot see anything changing 

Agree entirely. I no longer live in Bristol either, so have to make a real effort to get to and from games. Yesterday was dreadful and completely un-enjoyable. Cold, wet weather, dire performance, Sunday fixture so couldn't even get merry on pre/post match beers. Wish I never bothered to be truthful.

Only just found out our next home match is a stupid 5PM kick off too - at this time of the year with festive/family stuff, not good timing when we're playing so dreadfully.

12 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Currently rather have us playing in the old AG (which I loved), with a boisterous intimidating atmosphere, crowd behind the team, with players prepared to die for the shirt, winning games playing a more attractive style of football than this crap!

Unpopular opinion but I agree completely.

11 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

The only thing there is that with the way the game has changed, money- inflation at this level gone nuts, FFP some of what you're describing there- that could well be in League One- which I'm sure none of us want either.

Think the redevelopment and all those factors a necessary evil tbh. However players showing total commitment and a more attractive style of football- well the first you can blame the players for, the second you can certainly blame LJ for- I've been very patient but starting to lose faith in him now. Soon as they read out the team yesterday and I worked out the likely setup/shape, I didn't feel confident or comfortable.

1 hour ago, Fatknacker said:

Sadly most football is "beige", what you're complaining about is our "beige" isn't gaining us acceptable results at the moment...if we were in a playoff position no one would be complaining about "beige"...or the manager.

No, what I'm complaining about is our beige isn't a vibrant shade of red.

Most people want results, I want entertainment from football.

I'd be content to be lower than we are now, in, say, 17th, playing blood and thunder football that entertains and excites, with a fanbase united and the siege mentality I can remember having at City every time someone came to AG.

Anyway, we're not in the playoffs so there's no point dealing in hypotheticals. LJ's beige is just particularly turgid at the moment to the point where I'm very much glad I didn't renew this season.

1 hour ago, Fatknacker said:

You're probably right, this version suffering from massive investment, financially secure and with a bright future.

if anyone is gong to manage a football club to maximise its potential I'd select SL, just throwing money to secure a short term fix doesn't work, he's done that already.

Building and investing in a solid foundation including stadium, pitch, academy and a stable management team gives us the best chance of long term success, not knee jerk, short term leaps into the dark.

As far as I can see, the model being used for both the rugby and football clubs is the same and it's working well for the Bears, so let's give it more time for City.

Hmm Pat Lam...Lee Johnson Absolutely no comparison in their relative statuses in each sport. The rugby equivalent of Lee Johnson would not have enticed Piatau Morahan or Luatua to AG or been asked to coach a scratch Barbarians team to beat England at Twickenham before their tour to South Africa

Salary cap in rugby c £7m so loose change to SL

9 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

No, what I'm complaining about is our beige isn't a vibrant shade of red.

Most people want results, I want entertainment from football.

I'd be content to be lower than we are now, in, say, 17th, playing blood and thunder football that entertains and excites, with a fanbase united and the siege mentality I can remember having at City every time someone came to AG.

Anyway, we're not in the playoffs so there's no point dealing in hypotheticals. LJ's beige is just particularly turgid at the moment to the point where I'm very much glad I didn't renew this season.

Beige as in baby shit.

17 hours ago, Shuffle said:

100% agree with this post as mirrors my mood.

Was bored at the game today and have been for weeks. There’s no way I’ll be spending money on away games anymore as religiously have travelled but what’s the point with performances as they are. 

Not getting angry anymore about results but am with LJs constant spin and the whole identify thing really annoys me. 

This club has consumed my thoughts and money but I’m falling out of love after 45 years of supporting. 

I’ll keep going out of duty but until LJ goes I cannot see anything changing 

I ‘had’ been going for the same amount of time as you, but I’ve stopped, no enjoyment whatsoever. 

I can handle the losing ( we have all got used to that over the years). But I can’t handle a manager telling me that I’ve watched something different than what I know I’ve just watched. LJ has been given everything on a plate, more signings than I’ve ever, ever know, but after 3 years  has come up with boring sterile football with no excitement whatsoever. 

If he actually had a plan then I may have been able to accept this, but there clearly isn’t one. The excuses he uses ground me down in the end, blaming everyone and everything else except himself, We need a new manager, new ideas, someone who has a plan and can implement it, someone who actually knows what he is doing, because it’s clear that the current manager doesn’t.

I read a lot about how boring and tedious the style of football we are playing is, but then I read a lot from people who would love Colin to become our manager...!!

Having followed City from 1985ish I have witnessed a lot worse, both on and off the pitch.  I guess people will stop going when things are perceived to be bad and they will be back when we start winning and playing well.  That is the nature of football fans as a whole, not just Bristol City fans.  

16 hours ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Think people need a bit of perspective and stop wetting the bed! Yes it’s not been a great 2018 but we are still a competitive championship team, with a promising youth set up and infrastructure that’s improving all the time!  You would think we were in league 2 with some of these doom and gloom posts!

Yes, I'm generally with you on your sentiments.  But I am struggling to understand why the quality of football is so bad compared to last season.

I think Korey and Bobby are big misses in terms of energy and pressing, but I'd argue Flint and Bryan (good players as they are) were not so influential on the overall style of play.     

Weiman could certainly press like Bobby, though not as prlifice or skillful.  Brownhill could harry like Korey, and arguably offer more return on goals.  So why has LJ adopted a different style of play when arguably we have a greater depth of squad that could sustain a high press better that last season's? 

If he startegy is to use wingers, then why rely on just Fammy and not replace Duric?  

17 hours ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Think people need a bit of perspective and stop wetting the bed! Yes it’s not been a great 2018 but we are still a competitive championship team, with a promising youth set up and infrastructure that’s improving all the time!  You would think we were in league 2 with some of these doom and gloom posts!

It wouldn’t worry me being in League 2, when we were there before ( Division 4) I had some of the most enjoyable times I’ve had watching City. I never watched City thinking we would win every week and play flamboyant entertaining football, but I do expect some excitement and a desire from the players and manager, which currently we don’t have. 

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

It wouldn’t worry me being in League 2, when we were there before ( Division 4) I had some of the most enjoyable times I’ve had watching City. I never watched City thinking we would win every week and play flamboyant entertaining football, but I do expect some excitement and a desire from the players and manager, which currently we don’t have. 

Really enjoyed the joy-ride of the 1980’s, great memories of special away games at the likes of Newport, Rovers FA cup, Fisher, Chester  Millwall ‘84 and many many more too numerous to mention, different times now i’m afraid but my love still runs deep and the powers that be will never be able to take away the memories and the reasons I fell in love with my beloved City, different times indeed, stick with it though lads

3 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

100% agree, **** the new stadium. Currently rather have us playing in the old AG (which I loved), with a boisterous intimidating atmosphere, with players prepared to die for the shirt, winning games playing a more attractive style of football than this crap!

Agree with this too, hate the modern approach, miss the old East End and the banter. Suppose we could always go to the Mem if we want a taste of times past.

Quite agree. There was no atmosphere and a sparse crowd of about 13 - 14 thousand. The Lansdown concourse was quiet and easy to get a beer. I will still go as I have done for the last 47 years, voting with you feet is not the answer. Until we are rid of LJ and get proven experience both on and off the pitch we will have problems. There is no entertainment only dull predictability. If the club had true ambition they would have invested in January last season when we had momentum and a chance of promotion. I have often said that Steve L would not pay monkeys in his financial investment business he will pay the going rate for whatever staff he needs when it comes to the football club its a Primark budget. Spending doesn't have to be ridiculous but unless we can find some quality we will remain one of the 4 Championship sides not to have ever played in the PL.

5 hours ago, Fatknacker said:

Sadly most football is "beige", what you're complaining about is our "beige" isn't gaining us acceptable results at the moment...if we were in a playoff position no one would be complaining about "beige"...or the manager.

When you go and watch a team of young kids giving it their all for Clevedon Town on a Saturday and get far more enjoyment than watching City the next day then something cannot be right given the difference in quality between the players. The far lesser ability at that level actually leads to more excitement over 90 minutes!!

Some of us are happy to accept mid table or even lower mid table in such a competitive division, I know I am, but when achieving that position comes with watching opposition keeper after keeper not even having to wash their gloves on a Monday due to their inactivity then interest levels start to wane!!

The other week I was watching my lad play for a different Toolstation club and I forgot we were even playing at Leeds and didn’t check the score until midway half time!! I found myself watching a game I was more interested in about 8 levels lower!! First time that’s ever happened and if the current dross is served up much more it might not be the last.

On 02/12/2018 at 18:39, Lez said:

Hi all, going back to the Mciness disaster we were bottom of the league and dead in the water. But despite that i still went to games home and away and even though knew we were awful, yet valued the players. The likes of Davies, Anderson, Fontaine etc. Generally bang average with some awful players with them.

But now i just deel like ive lost all love. Is it the manager? Is it the dull football? Is the playing squad?

Apart from Eliiasson there is not one single player who excites me....maybe Brownhill and Kelly going forward.

Im falling out of love with the club and i cant see myself spending money anymore on this. Not in the short term.

If im honest, i think its the manager and brand of football, it really is horrible to qatch at the moment. Its also the structure, signing all these players over the past few years under lj, with so little progress and impact on the pitch.

So many former managers would have cried out for the investment LJ has had, and what has he done with it?

Everything right now is desperately poor and i feel so disillusioned with it all.

Even worse we don't have any formation or playing style. We dropped the press for a  play from the back, side to side and long ball. We have lost our way

I've said all of this for a while and was shot down in this thread, but never before has it been so true that were just customers and nothing more. IMO the club have alienated the true fans and should we ever get related the plastic replacements won't turn up either meaning an empty posh stadium.... 

32 minutes ago, Big Red Rich said:

I've said all of this for a while and was shot down in this thread, but never before has it been so true that were just customers and nothing more. IMO the club have alienated the true fans and should we ever get related the plastic replacements won't turn up either meaning an empty posh stadium.... 

I'm not at all unsettled, I've always accepted I'm a customer but I'm happy I won't have to endure 1982 all over again...the club isn't about bricks and mortar, Lansdown or Dolman, Johnson or Dicks, it's about the players and the fans and having fun and enjoying our support...it really isn't life or death, it should be a release and if it's anything more I suggest someone needs to get a life.

13 hours ago, Fatknacker said:

You're probably right, this version suffering from massive investment, financially secure and with a bright future.

if anyone is gong to manage a football club to maximise its potential I'd select SL, just throwing money to secure a short term fix doesn't work, he's done that already.

Building and investing in a solid foundation including stadium, pitch, academy and a stable management team gives us the best chance of long term success, not knee jerk, short term leaps into the dark.

As far as I can see, the model being used for both the rugby and football clubs is the same and it's working well for the Bears, so let's give it more time for City.

We are not financially secure. We are basically dependent on one man, and we have no assets other than the players. 

BS holds all the cards

The real concern is the post SL era. His plan is for us to be self financing. That is dreamland

No new owner would buy into the nonsense that Bristol and BS are another Barcelona.

This is an empire built on sand.

I remain very concerned about the future of our club

Of course if we became top three consistently in the top division that would present a different scenario but no one believes present ownership can obtain this, given our experience of SL' s stewardship over a long passage of time, or perhaps even desires it, again given our experience of him rather than the platitudes we have been subjected to for years

13 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

We are not financially secure. We are basically dependent on one man, and we have no assets other than the players. 

BS holds all the cards

The real concern is the post SL era. His plan is for us to be self financing. That is dreamland

No new owner would buy into the nonsense that Bristol and BS are another Barcelona.

This is an empire built on sand.

I remain very concerned about the future of our club

Of course if we became top three consistently in the top division that would present a different scenario but no one believes present ownership can obtain this, given our experience of SL' s stewardship over a long passage of time, or perhaps even desires it, again given our experience of him rather than the platitudes we have been subjected to for years

Interesting LJ mentioned assets after the game on Sunday.

We are thoroughly spoiled, the very idea we'd be better off uunder any other management is a complete joke!.

Our owner is a multi billionare who has written off over £50 million already and invested a similar amount in the stadium, all in the name of securing a long term, self sustaining future  for the club. He's also doing something similar for Bristol Rugby, another failing institution without a tenner to wipe it's arse with!

Those who remember 1982 and those with the wit to look at what's happening in Horfield and at most other clubs will be astonished to hear the nonsense uttered by our 'fewers'

The issue we have here is the same issue that’s cropped up every time we’ve been at this level.  We “hit the wall” every time and as a club never know how to push on. We then stagnate, our more ambitious players leave and we struggle to stay up. We;ll manage it for a few seasons until we just cant keep a grip on that slippery pole any longer.

Whilst we’re battling a realistic chance of the drop however, we galvanise as fans, when we really think we could go down, the atmosphere picks up and once again , The Gate becomes a difficult place for other teams to come to. We all start “enjoying “ ourselves again because excitement is excitement, it doesn’t always matter what end of the table you’re at !

Right now though, we’re in a vacuum. Mid table “no man’s land” without any real pressure either way so no one’s enjoying it including the players I feel. If we string 3 wins together, or fall to 3 cosecutive defeats there’s a chance our interest will return. We just need to have something to play for .....one way or the other ? 

Archived