IGNORED

radio bristol wanna know your first Bristol City match

Never to the dark side

22 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Good Friday April 7th 1950 up against the railings at the front of the Covered End and behind the goal.

Versus Aldershot. City won2-0 with goals from Sid Williams and Arnold Rodgers. Crowd 18,921

I was completely hooked.

That is until the Johnson family arrived on the scene.

Probably the same game for me. Did you see a 10yr old sitting with the St John Ambulance men down the other end? If so it was me.

30th October 1965 Plymouth Argyle 0-0. 

We were on holiday in Cornwall in the August and my Dad took me and my brother to Home Park to watch Plymouth v Preston. Then my Guardian Angel stepped in.

Plymouth happened to be playing City the following October and I've been hooked ever since. That must be fate.

If the fixtures had been different I could have been a Gashead

27 November 2010 Bristol City 3-0 Sheffield United.

Two Pitman penalties and I believe Jamie Mac scored direct from a corner.

Never got taken as a kid so I had to wait until I was old enough to 1) realise I should support the club I was born a mile from rather than Man Utd and 2) could drive myself there and pay for everything myself.

1999 aged 4. A pre-season friendly against Man City, we ran out 1-0 winners I believe! Goater up front for the visitors.

First league game was boxing day 2002 a 0-0 draw at home to Plymouth Argyle. Remember Argyle in an all orange kit.

First league win was a 0-1 away win at Plymouth Argyle, Lee Peacock winner. 8 years old and I remember being bombarded with coins from the home end and match day sponsors section from he corner of their ground.

Funny how I can remember these things but genuinely cannot remember what I had for tea on the weekend!

Edit - here I am before the Argyle game in 2002 (my first pint ?) Uncle next to me in that garish orange Argyle shirt, I'm still travelling from Plymouth to games now albeit in my own car!

IMG_5409.PNG

5 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Leeds at home, 4 December 1976: the fog abandoned one.

1st Division band-wagon jumping of the highest order.

Travesty that it was call off, as I’m sure we were 17-0 up at halftime!

Also, as I was in the East End, I didn’t see any Dirty Leeds fans “fall” down the steps of the Dolman Stand! ☁️

22 hours ago, David Brent said:

December ‘93. 4-1 defeat at home to Forest.

That was the 2nd game I took my then-girlfriend, now-wife, to, and the 2nd time she saw Forest batter us 4-1.

Still remember the lad sat behind us in the East End, whining "that Collymore's rubbish, he only scores tap-ins" as Stan smashed one in from distance.

22 hours ago, KernowRed said:

Probably the same game for me. Did you see a 10yr old sitting with the St John Ambulance men down the other end? If so it was me.

Did you have ginger hair and wearing a maroon school cap and specs? If so, No.

I didn't take my eyes off the pitch!

PS, Those were the days Kernow.

My first City game was home to Fulham at Easter of the 89/90 promotion season. Won 5-1. 

I was hooked from then! It was quickly followed up by a 1-1 draw midweek at home to Huddersfield under the floodlights. 

By the time we lost “that” game to Rovers, I was so into it all that I was devestated at losing to those scummers! 

Then vividly remember the amazing scenes during the second half Vs Walsall at home on the last day. 

44 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Did you have ginger hair and wearing a maroon school cap and specs? If so, No.

I didn't take my eyes off the pitch!

PS, Those were the days Kernow.

Did not have glasses, cap or ginger hair, but was in the same school class as Sid Kearney's daughter, Barbara. She went on to be a singer Barbara Kay.

Arnold Rodgers lived in the road behind us as did another player whose name escapes me at the moment, old age thing.

I can still see Alec Eisenstrager down the wing with billowing shirt and shorts, with crosses which would put some players today in shame. Brilliant times.

12 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Honestly, don't know how anybody remembers all this stuff.  I would have been about 9 years-old, with my dad and cousins, just running around the open terrace for most of the game and not giving a damn about football.

I remembered who we played at my first game and what the score was.  The date I looked up. :D 

First match for me was an away F.A. Cup second round tie at Dean court on December 5th 1964 which City won 3-0 against Bournemouth. Dad said to me watch the City  no. 9 (Atyeo)  he should score a few today. But no.10 Brian Clarke scored one and no7 Gerry Sharpe two stole his thunder that day. I remember getting to the ground early to make sure I was watching from the railing around the ground. This was followed by my first match at Ashton Gate early January 1965 against Sheffield United which ended 1-1 (Tony Ford scored).

Archived