IGNORED

The January Window

BobBobSuperBob

Following LJs post match comments yesterday , thought it might be worth starting a thread for people’s thoughts on , hopes , and expectations for the January window

Personally I Think it’s going to be a massively defining one for LJs future

Heres his post match comments to set the scene 

Bristol City could only draw 1-1 with Millwall on Sunday afternoon at Ashton Gate only managing one shot on target across the afternoon.

Given that the Robins scored via an own goal and had failed to find the net in their two previous matches, head coach Lee Johnson aims to find a solution to the side's goal-scoring problems in the near future.

Expanding, the former midfielder explained what the Robins want in January if they buy in - although he also insisted that the right player could already be in BS3.

Asked if the club could keep on selling their best players and rebuilding, the head coach explained how he was looking for the club to progress.

"We've got to work our way into a position where we don't have to do that [keep selling their best players] as a club," said Johnson in the post-match press conference.

"And I understand that and I respect that. I don't want that ideally but at certain times in football it's impossible to stop.

And if we do need to trade then so be it and we'll make the right decisions as we move forward," he explained.

Asked if he wanted to strengthen more than one area of the team, Johnson gave his thinking, with goals at home hard to come by particularly, with the team only hitting more than one goal in one single league match this season (Blackburn Rovers, 4-1).

"We're looking at that sort of creativity element of the nine and a half - the one who can do a bit of both, and you're looking for someone to get across people in the box and finish chances," he explained, hinting at a swoop for two.

"Last year we had some good movement in the box with the two strikers. Today we played one or three depending on how you look at - strikers - but it shouldn't change your attacking intent because it's bodies in the box is the question, whether it's a one or a two or a three - it depends how many bodies you've got in the box when a particular cross comes in.

The head coach also confirmed that Matty Taylor is out for a while with a hip flexor knock.

It's a funny one [Taylor's injury]. It's a hip flexor injury. It is a bit frustrating that one but sometimes it can be just one player that makes the difference and is the linchpin and that might come from within or it might have to come from outside.

But as we move towards January obviously the potential is there to tweak the squad.

"Because you see that we ain't a million miles off. Because as you see we're not far off being pretty good. And sometimes it's that man that can make the difference," said Johnson, who also confirmed that Taylor recently became a father again.

I'll be honest, I don't trust him to make a big signing and I certainly don't see him signing a player of the calibre we need. 

January is a time when you pay a lot more money for a player, prices are hiked up for obvious reasons and we'd struggle to make a big signing during the summer period, add the inflation and our performances of recent and I ask what player would see moving to us as a great deal?! 

He’s clearly looking for a goal scorer 

Unless we take a young prem player on loan I can’t think of any immediate British based solutions

Europe again ?

We can’t afford any more real punts or gambles 

Ive suggested Hogan on another thread, but wages ....

Mousset on loan from Bournemouth ? (Wouldn’t think they’d loan him as he’s been involved) 

Id like to see us ask QPR how much they’d want for Eze but think he’d be out of our range

6 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

He should not be given another penny. History tells us he is going to waste it. They should be docking his wages to recoup for the shite that he's bought in. 

Big decision for SL on the table right now

Back him or get rid

I can’t see him making any changes so he is almost bound to back him in January

Keeping him and not backing him in January would be the very worst of all the options 

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What is a hip flexor, and why is it so commonly named as the reason for our players being injured?

A fair question , and despite all the fitness teams , masseurs, dieticians we have , our sick bay will need to be the largest part of the new training complex 

But , anyway , do you mind keeping this thread to transfer thoughts and solutions

many thanks 

:laughcont:

January is dangerous for us, for the simple reason we’re mid table. Our performances aren’t reflective of that position recently, but we are mid table. 

History has shown that if we’re in trouble (see bringing in Tomlin), or challenging (I know it didn’t work, but Diony), SL will stump up decent wages for a loan signing who had potential to really fire us to the objective. We’ve not, however, spent big in January due to the inflated market and I don’t see us doing so this year.

There isn’t any rumblings that SL is getting rid of LJ soon, so I’d surmise that he’s not in danger, and that SL thinks although we won’t go up, we’re in no danger of going down. For that reason, I don’t see him shelling big loan monies on a player.

This is probably what’s behind the “trade” comment. There isn’t a marquee signing coming, but LJ has probably been told he can spend what he gets.

So, this is why I’m worried. I think the players we need SL won’t shell out for because of our somewhat false position based on form, and I don’t see the “trade” bringing in the cash for the players we need unless it’s at a real cost of creating issues elsewhere (eg lose Webster or Kelly).

So, my hope for January is a striker and CM who can hit the ground running and spark creativity and pace in play. My expectation is a lower level wide man and an uninspiring forward on loan.

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

January is dangerous for us, for the simple reason we’re mid table. Our performances aren’t reflective of that position recently, but we are mid table. 

History has shown that if we’re in trouble (see bringing in Tomlin), or challenging (I know it didn’t work, but Diony), SL will stump up decent wages for a loan signing who had potential to really fire us to the objective. We’ve not, however, spent big in January due to the inflated market and I don’t see us doing so this year.

There isn’t any rumblings that SL is getting rid of LJ soon, so I’d surmise that he’s not in danger, and that SL thinks although we won’t go up, we’re in no danger of going down. For that reason, I don’t see him shelling big loan monies on a player.

This is probably what’s behind the “trade” comment. There isn’t a marquee signing coming, but LJ has probably been told he can spend what he gets.

So, this is why I’m worried. I think the players we need SL won’t shell out for because of our somewhat false position based on form, and I don’t see the “trade” bringing in the cash for the players we need unless it’s at a real cost of creating issues elsewhere (eg lose Webster or Kelly).

So, my hope for January is a striker and CM who can hit the ground running and spark creativity and pace in play. My expectation is a lower level wide man and an uninspiring forward on loan.

Those 2 home games over xmas are going to be vital as we will struggle to pick up anything in the next 3 games. 

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Big decision for SL on the table right now

Back him or get rid

I can’t see him making any changes so he is almost bound to back him in January

Keeping him and not backing him in January would be the very worst of all the options 

I personally dont expect to see any (or very limited) incoming/outgoings during January. In no other business do you keep getting bailed out for your mistakes. If I was running a business and kept employing sub par staff, it would be my head on the chopping block, not those I'd hired. Same premise here. The list I seen on here this morning showing LJs signings beggars belief. 

48 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What is a hip flexor, and why is it so commonly named as the reason for our players being injured?

flexion describes reducing the angle of a joint, so for example by raising your leg to the horizontal you are reducing the angle from 180 (straight) to 90 (horizontal.) Extension is increasing the angle. 

52 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Following LJs post match comments yesterday , thought it might be worth starting a thread for people’s thoughts on , hopes , and expectations for the January window

Personally I Think it’s going to be a massively defining one for LJs future

Heres his post match comments to set the scene 

Bristol City could only draw 1-1 with Millwall on Sunday afternoon at Ashton Gate only managing one shot on target across the afternoon.

Given that the Robins scored via an own goal and had failed to find the net in their two previous matches, head coach Lee Johnson aims to find a solution to the side's goal-scoring problems in the near future.

Expanding, the former midfielder explained what the Robins want in January if they buy in - although he also insisted that the right player could already be in BS3.

Asked if the club could keep on selling their best players and rebuilding, the head coach explained how he was looking for the club to progress.

"We've got to work our way into a position where we don't have to do that [keep selling their best players] as a club," said Johnson in the post-match press conference.

"And I understand that and I respect that. I don't want that ideally but at certain times in football it's impossible to stop.

And if we do need to trade then so be it and we'll make the right decisions as we move forward," he explained.

Asked if he wanted to strengthen more than one area of the team, Johnson gave his thinking, with goals at home hard to come by particularly, with the team only hitting more than one goal in one single league match this season (Blackburn Rovers, 4-1).

"We're looking at that sort of creativity element of the nine and a half - the one who can do a bit of both, and you're looking for someone to get across people in the box and finish chances," he explained, hinting at a swoop for two.

"Last year we had some good movement in the box with the two strikers. Today we played one or three depending on how you look at - strikers - but it shouldn't change your attacking intent because it's bodies in the box is the question, whether it's a one or a two or a three - it depends how many bodies you've got in the box when a particular cross comes in.

The head coach also confirmed that Matty Taylor is out for a while with a hip flexor knock.

It's a funny one [Taylor's injury]. It's a hip flexor injury. It is a bit frustrating that one but sometimes it can be just one player that makes the difference and is the linchpin and that might come from within or it might have to come from outside.

But as we move towards January obviously the potential is there to tweak the squad.

"Because you see that we ain't a million miles off. Because as you see we're not far off being pretty good. And sometimes it's that man that can make the difference," said Johnson, who also confirmed that Taylor recently became a father again.

"Because you see that we ain't a million miles off. Because as you see we're not far off being pretty good. And sometimes it's that man that can make the difference," said Johnson, who also confirmed that Taylor recently became a father again. This him obviously trying to reassure his sugar daddy/ us  that we are almost there, that we only need one more piece of the puzzle, i.e. don't sack me because "it will come good, honest gov" we aren’t in need of a whole new strikeforce, which is pretty much what he has says here: "We're looking at that sort of creativity element of the nine and a half - the one who can do a bit of both, and you're looking for someone to get across people in the box and finish chances," he explained, hinting at a swoop for two. I love how the club spin have also tried to reduce this obvious statement with the words "hinting at a swoop... or two." Question, how many strikers do you want to play. Hang on, haven’t we just bought one? Isn't our record signing one? 

Another "we are nearly there, honest, don't sack me" one. I also love how he has deflected from not picking him due to -  an injury, again. So last week it was that he hadn't had much sleep because of a baby - hello, nanny, hotel?

Other great spin.. "tweak the squad" yeah, tweak. Just like how yesterday he said "we are close to something special."

This is him obviously trying to undo Mr Owers' statements during commentary about the lack of attacking intent by playing one up front at home to a team second from bottom.

Notice how everything deflects from responsibility and that it is the fault of injuries, not having the right tools etc - after what 5 windows?, not his tactics (or lack of), not his coaching (or lack of), not his etc etc etc...

But the best bit is what he always does: Because you see that we ain't a million miles off. Because as you see we're not far off being pretty good. Love this especially, the automatic jump to a statement of "fact" that all else is built on as if we are all reading from the same page, neatly avoiding that this "truth" isn't what we all see, but quickly moving on and past it to muddy the waters.

The window for Lee will be like the one that Ted Moult had up on the Penines.

Triple glazed, excellent deflecting qualities and well and truly locked tight. And the key will be missing.

Lee finds someone. Ashton gets involved. Lansdown gets the cheque book out. The player - either on loan and doesn’t get played/ perform - or permanent and doesn’t perform. 

Costs Lansdown a fortune. Increases our loss. **** me “FFP” haunts us. Another up and coming/“quality” player/s are sold and we really are in free fall.

This will be a transfer window like no other. The likes of which that bloke who locks himself in glass boxes couldn’t escape from.

If Johnson, Ashton and Mr L **** this one up then they ought to be moved on.

Interesting that this comment has suddenly appeared @Davefevs ;)

We're looking at that sort of creativity element of the nine and a half - the one who can do a bit of both, and you're looking for someone to get across people in the box and finish chances," he explained, hinting at a swoop for two

Thanks for highlighting it BobFish

I’m really surprised that nobody yet has mentioned how weak the midfield is in terms of creativity. Neither Pack or Brownhill have the necessary creativity to support the wide and front men and consequently the supply up top is limited. It’s no surprise City don’t score many goals at AG.

Not for the first time I sat there feeling frustrated at the midfield again. Packs role is defensive but what does Brownhill provide other than breaking up play?  City need a player who can run at the defence and pick a pass and we don’t have one.

For me that’s the first type of player I’d want in the winter window.

36 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

He should not be given another penny. History tells us he is going to waste it. They should be docking his wages to recoup for the shite that he's bought in. 

like, like, like

If Colin is feeling charitable, I would write off the remaining instalments on the Bobby Reid deal and bring him back on loan immediately in January with a view to cancelling the deal in the summer if Cardiff agree. It's not as if they're getting £10m worth of contribution or game time there.

And let's be honest, the 17/18 series Bobby Reid is the only reason Lee Johnson has any credibility whatsoever - he can talk all he wants about having to rebuild a team, but he's never built one in the first place - his record over 3 seasons of wasting money on 47 players is appalling and we only came good last season off the back of Bobby's phenomenal one season contribution. Everything about LJ's "identity" hung off those efforts, and those efforts alone.

So in January unless Lee Johnson is getting Bobby Reid back I wouldn't do a single other thing in the transfer market, history tells us anything else will just be Johnson shuffling a pack of cards and hoping to draw some aces, but instead giving us a load more squad depth fodder who will end up out of favour and off on loan within a month. As @ZiderEyed has said, the whole thought of more transfers terrifies me. Yes we badly need a striker but what was Eisa?

The more I listen or read his comments , but am I reading this right , can we brace ourselves for losing one of our better players in January ?

We've got to work our way into a position where we don't have to do that [keep selling their best players] as a club," said Johnson in the post-match press conference.

And if we do need to trade then so be it and we'll make the right decisions as we move forward," he explained.

3 minutes ago, Olé said:

If Colin is feeling charitable, I would write off the remaining instalments on the Bobby Reid deal and bring him back on loan immediately in January with a view to cancelling the deal in the summer if Cardiff agree. It's not as if they're getting £10m worth of contribution or game time there.

And let's be honest, the 17/18 series Bobby Reid is the only reason Lee Johnson has any credibility whatsoever - he can talk all he wants about having to rebuild a team, but he's never built one in the first place - his record over 3 seasons of wasting money on 47 players is appalling and we only came good last season off the back of Bobby's phenomenal one season contribution. Everything about LJ's "identity" hung off those efforts, and those efforts alone.

So in January unless Lee Johnson is getting Bobby Reid back I wouldn't do a single other thing in the transfer market, history tells us anything else will just be Johnson shuffling a pack of cards and hoping to draw some aces, but instead giving us a load more squad depth fodder who will end up out of favour and off on loan within a month. As @ZiderEyed has said, the whole thought of more transfers terrifies me. Yes we badly need a striker but what was Eisa?

Think that’s a very sensible suggestion Rob

But , even if Cardiff were feeling agreeable , we wouldn’t match Bobbys wages and let’s be honest , do you think he’d want to come back atm ?

I don’t 

Archived