IGNORED

The January Window

BobBobSuperBob

7 minutes ago, Olé said:

If Colin is feeling charitable, I would write off the remaining instalments on the Bobby Reid deal and bring him back on loan immediately in January with a view to cancelling the deal in the summer if Cardiff agree. It's not as if they're getting £10m worth of contribution or game time there.

And let's be honest, the 17/18 series Bobby Reid is the only reason Lee Johnson has any credibility whatsoever - he can talk all he wants about having to rebuild a team, but he's never built one in the first place - his record over 3 seasons of wasting money on 47 players is appalling and we only came good last season off the back of Bobby's phenomenal one season contribution. Everything about LJ's "identity" hung off those efforts, and those efforts alone.

So in January unless Lee Johnson is getting Bobby Reid back I wouldn't do a single other thing in the transfer market, history tells us anything else will just be Johnson shuffling a pack of cards and hoping to draw some aces, but instead giving us a load more squad depth fodder who will end up out of favour and off on loan within a month. As @ZiderEyed has said, the whole thought of more transfers terrifies me. Yes we badly need a striker but what was Eisa?

A nice little deal between father and son?

Look at it from Lansdownes position. We aren't going to threaten either the top or bottom of the league this season so why waste money on new players. If we have a really poor run and Johnson has to be replaced then his latest signings may not be the new Managers (Moyes !!) cup of tea. Better to put the money to one side and use it more wisely (:laugh:) in the summer.

I predict a very quiet window.

46 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The more I listen or read his comments , but am I reading this right , can we brace ourselves for losing one of our better players in January ?

My money would be COD good enough for Ireland but not the mighty Bristol City.

Keymar Roofe seems to be doing well at Leeds and when COD and him left Oxford I believed we had bought the far better player.

4 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

My money would be COD good enough for Ireland but not the mighty Bristol City.

Keymar Roofe seems to be doing well at Leeds and when COD and him left Oxford I believed we had bought the far better player.

I think he will go , but not sure what we will get for him as OOC end of season 

£500k ?

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Interesting that this comment has suddenly appeared @Davefevs ;)

We're looking at that sort of creativity element of the nine and a half - the one who can do a bit of both, and you're looking for someone to get across people in the box and finish chances," he explained, hinting at a swoop for two

Thanks for highlighting it BobFish

Someone is reading the forum. ?

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Pretty sure Warnock has gone on record saying he's looking to bring in another striker in January anyway.

Famara Diedhiou?

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Paterson is extremely frustrating and largely influential right now Shtanley 

In a straight choice , Who do we want in our squad though 

JP or Marley Watkins ?

I want 2 upfront. Pato can only play left mid and probably only with Da Silva. 

Watkins all day long personally. 

Don't think Paterson contributes anywhere near enough for someone playing in the floating 10 role.

1 minute ago, bearded_red said:

Will his summer signing forward Mo Eisa start a game before he signs his January forward?

What a transfer policy. Kid in a sweet shop.

This will be the line "We don't want to spend big in January. We've got Mo, Korey and Hakeeb all coming back from injury, and having them back will be like having three new signings". Madness.

FFP will be one of the reasons. We’ll be on for another loss. SL won’t stump up. They on the highest wage and they with “value” will go.

Lets hope we don’t have shit loanees come in. The loss/FFP/sale of players will continue.

Until there’s no more that I can do. It’s time to cash in me chips. Oh look. Planning on AV.

Thanks for the memories. I’m off to look at my millions......

And what will we have? Memories. I’ll be sat up Muriel Jones on my Williams sears polishing my Williams turnstile. Might have converted my One for the Bristol City to MP3 by then and be listening to that.....

The days before Lansdown ever thought of making money out of BCFC and pulled our pants down.

The days before football was “a brand”.

******* hell. And some call this progress.

12 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I want 2 upfront. Pato can only play left mid and probably only with Da Silva. 

Watkins all day long personally. 

Don't think Paterson contributes anywhere near enough for someone playing in the floating 10 role.

All opinions of course but we are going nowhere signing Watkins IMHO

We need to have players of Paterson’s ability but get more out of them , and get ones with the right desire and character

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

All opinions of course but we are going nowhere signing Watkins IMHO

We need to have players of Paterson’s ability but get more out of them , and get ones with the right desire and character

Don't think Paterson has anywhere near enough ability to be playing number 10 for us right now. Would rather see us play 2 strikers.

If we're doing that it's a toss up between COD Watkins and Adelakun at RM. For me Watkins has been the best of those 3 this season.

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Don't think Paterson has anywhere near enough ability to be playing number 10 for us right now. Would rather see us play 2 strikers.

If we're doing that it's a toss up between COD Watkins and Adelakun at RM. For me Watkins has been the best of those 3 this season.

Don’t think Paterson is delivering , I think he has ability 

If Korey was fit and available I’d have Josh back out on right (atm) 

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Following LJs post match comments yesterday , thought it might be worth starting a thread for people’s thoughts on , hopes , and expectations for the January window

Personally I Think it’s going to be a massively defining one for LJs future

Heres his post match comments to set the scene 

Bristol City could only draw 1-1 with Millwall on Sunday afternoon at Ashton Gate only managing one shot on target across the afternoon.

Given that the Robins scored via an own goal and had failed to find the net in their two previous matches, head coach Lee Johnson aims to find a solution to the side's goal-scoring problems in the near future.

Expanding, the former midfielder explained what the Robins want in January if they buy in - although he also insisted that the right player could already be in BS3.

Asked if the club could keep on selling their best players and rebuilding, the head coach explained how he was looking for the club to progress.

"We've got to work our way into a position where we don't have to do that [keep selling their best players] as a club," said Johnson in the post-match press conference.

"And I understand that and I respect that. I don't want that ideally but at certain times in football it's impossible to stop.

And if we do need to trade then so be it and we'll make the right decisions as we move forward," he explained.

Asked if he wanted to strengthen more than one area of the team, Johnson gave his thinking, with goals at home hard to come by particularly, with the team only hitting more than one goal in one single league match this season (Blackburn Rovers, 4-1).

"We're looking at that sort of creativity element of the nine and a half - the one who can do a bit of both, and you're looking for someone to get across people in the box and finish chances," he explained, hinting at a swoop for two.

"Last year we had some good movement in the box with the two strikers. Today we played one or three depending on how you look at - strikers - but it shouldn't change your attacking intent because it's bodies in the box is the question, whether it's a one or a two or a three - it depends how many bodies you've got in the box when a particular cross comes in.

The head coach also confirmed that Matty Taylor is out for a while with a hip flexor knock.

It's a funny one [Taylor's injury]. It's a hip flexor injury. It is a bit frustrating that one but sometimes it can be just one player that makes the difference and is the linchpin and that might come from within or it might have to come from outside.

But as we move towards January obviously the potential is there to tweak the squad.

"Because you see that we ain't a million miles off. Because as you see we're not far off being pretty good. And sometimes it's that man that can make the difference," said Johnson, who also confirmed that Taylor recently became a father again.

Would you give Johnson money to spend in January after his performances in the transfer windows since he has arrived. If it was me I would trust him with a penny. So many signings have come to nothing and a lot do not ever get a game. Quantity over quality and none to fit our pattern of play because Johnson does not even know it. But I suppose SL will give him some to spend  which shows just how much wrong decisions by the owner can affect a football club.

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Don’t think Paterson is delivering , I think he has ability 

If Korey was fit and available I’d have Josh back out on right (atm) 

Tempting isn't it. 

I wouldn't mind COD behind the striker or out right. Just don't want a number 10 like paterson considering how we're currently playing. Diedhiou is our only viable option up front and he's isolated because of Paterson imho.

The only window LJ needs is a Gert big un, inside a door so he can see his own reflection as he exits it.

Reality is of course is that it won't be. It'll be his 6th (by my counting) and one in which I have zero confidence he will get anything which will improve us. Talking of windows, if I'm wrong I will bear my backside in Burton's..... Ah forget it!!!

Am I alone in thinking that we actually have signed some reasonable (and in some cases, really quite decent) players for this level and the problem is that we just aren't getting the best out of them?

I actually think we are only one or two players away from a side with the ability to challenge the top six if they are set up in the right way. 

Archived