IGNORED

The January Window

BobBobSuperBob

I would actually respect SL more if he holds firm and doesn’t give the dwarf any more money to waste on a striker. Granted goal scorers are not easy to come by & in fairness we have a limited budget but LJ himself has signed and spent good money on every single striker we currently have at the club....

Fammy, Taylor, Weimann, Eisa & considering he keeps playing Paterson just off a striker we can class him in that bracket as well...yet all because of LJ’s tactical incompetence & his & MA’s consistent failure in the transfer market we now need another striker!? Honestly SL you are being taken the piss out of by MA & your midget mate or shall we now refer to him as bob the builder....as he likes ‘to build’ apparently. 

2 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

I would actually respect SL more if he holds firm and doesn’t give the dwarf any more money to waste on a striker. Granted goal scorers are not easy to come by & in fairness we have a limited budget but LJ himself has signed and spent good money on every single striker we currently have at the club....

Fammy, Taylor, Weimann, Eisa & considering he keeps playing Paterson just off a striker we can class him in that bracket as well...yet all because of LJ’s tactical incompetence & his & MA’s consistent failure in the transfer market we now need another striker!? Honestly SL you are being taken the piss out of by MA & your midget mate or shall we now refer to him as bob the builder....as he likes ‘to build’ apparently. 

Seriously ?

I have opinions of his capabilities and think he’s a bluffer to a large degree 

but really ?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I think we will be lucky to see Korey at full tilt this season. 

Indeed. And I think Korey is a player where fitness levels are essential to his game. I remember him playing whilst not being fully fit a couple of years ago and really struggling to contribute.

Going back to the original question. I think we need a quality midfielder and striker and, whether in January or summer, we need a long-term solution in goal. But I think this is the sixth transfer window in a row where I would have said the same thing. 

1 hour ago, Chris_Brown said:

Am I alone in thinking that we actually have signed some reasonable (and in some cases, really quite decent) players for this level and the problem is that we just aren't getting the best out of them?

I actually think we are only one or two players away from a side with the ability to challenge the top six if they are set up in the right way. 

This is in part my concern with Lee Johnson in that if hes such a good coach how has he allowed these players their form to decline so noticeably from 12 months ago? If its down to the players we've sold then he needs to be good enough find adequate replacements or ensure his system is robust enough to withstand these three sales.  

We desperately need a proper striker, what we have do not offer enough of a goal scoring threat and we desperately creativity in midfield, again what we have do not offer anything close to the creativity that we need.

What am I expecting? the usual BCFC January window disappointment and probably more misfiring wingers and couple of cheap options and maybe another one for the future and even another 'he had a good season (once) he needs a new challenge and somebody to put their arm around him and give him a cuddle" types.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

what we have do not offer enough of a goal scoring threat and we desperately lack creativity in midfield, again what we have do not offer anything close to the creativity that we need.

Spot on....... Neither Pack or Brownhill provide creativity. Until Walsh was injured I for one was hoping he’d provide some attacking energy but he’s now out for weeks. There is nobody else - except the inexperienced Morrell.

With a creativity from midfield and decent supply from a direction other than the wings the current crop of strikers might well start to find the net more frequently.

Tbh, I’m not sure that LJ even sees the midfield as a weakness and that’s surprising given that he played there himself.

Mark Ashton is the man responsible for the transfers. It is him who I wouldn’t trust with another penny if I were SL. 

LJ has his faults (getting more by the game) but the transfer activity is one thing I will never put squarely on him. Ashton rules the roost on this front. LJ just has to make do with what he’s given. Of course in the press LJ will say he has the final say and he’s heavily involved. But he’s not. 

I would prefer if both of them left. If only LJ leaves and Ashton stays, the problem is still here. 

As for a striker In January. I’ve had a good look around and there isn’t very much out there in the lower leagues at the moment. Only Grant at Charlton is someone who’d be worthy of a lower-league up and coming punt. It’s pretty sparse out there for good strikers at the moment. 

Therefore, as mentioned earlier the thread, I could see us more realistically looking at an older player out of favour from a bigger club. 

God forbid we end up blowing another £5m on a brainless Frenchman. 

28 minutes ago, Harry said:

Mark Ashton is the man responsible for the transfers. It is him who I wouldn’t trust with another penny if I were SL. 

My understanding is that MA does the negotiating with the agents whether it be our own players or potential signings.

The scouting network feeds back to the club and LJ and his assistants look at the various options. Any potential player is then watched several times before a decision is made whether to peruse him.

That done - MA is given the targets and then pops off to do negotiate a deal. Some work out and others don’t.

Last January remains one of the biggest mysteries in how and why we failed to grasp the moment. Our stock in the media had never been higher on the back of our cup run. At the end of December we were in a healthy league position and would have been high on the list of potential clubs for a number of players wanting a move. 

If our management are to be believed, the players we brought in would have been watched on a number of occasions prior to being brought in. This means that the decision to sign would have been made at the mid to end of December with no room for a plan B. The fact that Kent only became available at this time due to his loan being unexpectedly terminated in Germany shows that we don't always view our players six times and prepare the files before signing them. In fact, realistically, only Walsh could have possibly been scouted in accordance with our own transfer rules.

So, moving forward into this window, again, if the City transfer policy is still being applied as we understand it, potential signings will already be under observation. Given that the window opens in four weeks. The squad is starting to puff out and this could quickly turn into the situation we faced in our last championship campaign where the team grew more stale with each passing season until relegation. I don't want to be pessimistic but a top six spot this year, in my opinion, is out of reach of this squad. We aren't going to be relegated either. I don't see the point of investing money to further puff out a squad that will probably finish 9th or 10th. Let's use the second half of this season to get it right as a team. Identify who will carry us forward into 19/20 and who needs to start looking elsewhere and really do our homework on what we need to get it right. The management team, pitchside and in the backroom are going nowhere anytime soon. At least that provides some continuity of thought. We can't go on shelling out hand over fist and running on the spot while we do it. I'd like to think the remainder of this season and the summer is a chance to get the priorities right, set clear objectives from the top down and push on. I would then say, SL has to make the right call on the managers future. Not being relegated, or mid table obscurity would not be enough to keep going in the job. Forget January, sort the squad out in terms of a clear strategy on the pitch, fill the gaps in over the summer and go for it in 19/20. Then it really would be bingo or bollocks for LJ.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

LJ has his faults (getting more by the game) but the transfer activity is one thing I will never put squarely on him. Ashton rules the roost on this front. LJ just has to make do with what he’s given. Of course in the press LJ will say he has the final say and he’s heavily involved. But he’s not. 

I would prefer if both of them left. If only LJ leaves and Ashton stays, the problem is still here. 

As for a striker In January. I’ve had a good look around and there isn’t very much out there in the lower leagues at the moment. Only Grant at Charlton is someone who’d be worthy of a lower-league up and coming punt. It’s pretty sparse out there for good strikers at the moment. 

Therefore, as mentioned earlier the thread, I could see us more realistically looking at an older player out of favour from a bigger club. 

God forbid we end up blowing another £5m on a brainless Frenchman. 

I'm sorry I find this very difficult to believe and if it is true, it's one thing to have director of football (as in somebody who actually has played at a reasonably high level or has track record for unearthing talent) but to allow somebody like him have that much power is folly beyond belief and if LJ swallows that it tells me everything that I need to know about him as a 'man'.

5 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Tempting isn't it. 

I wouldn't mind COD behind the striker or out right. Just don't want a number 10 like paterson considering how we're currently playing. Diedhiou is our only viable option up front and he's isolated because of Paterson imho.

Don't think Paterson behind Diedhiou is a plan that works tbh. You want Paterson if he plays '10'- which is all he should play if he does- behind a mobile or hard working striker- Reid was great but Weimann or even Taylor- of those 2 I'd say Paterson-Weimann combination is the closest to Paterson-Reid. By contrast, Paterson-Diedhiou, just reduces both of their effectiveness I think.

Regards January, I'm not expecting much- maybe a good loanee if there is one on offer and they are relatively affordable, but we've still got the overhang of huge losses last year. OR we could look to get them in early, strengthen in January on the proviso that we'll have a really quiet summer but with the chance to bed in any additions for an extra half season.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Spot on....... Neither Pack or Brownhill provide creativity. Until Walsh was injured I for one was hoping he’d provide some attacking energy but he’s now out for weeks. There is nobody else - except the inexperienced Morrell.

With a creativity from midfield and decent supply from a direction other than the wings the current crop of strikers might well start to find the net more frequently.

Tbh, I’m not sure that LJ even sees the midfield as a weakness and that’s surprising given that he played there himself.

I never saw LJ play in the flesh, but if his game was pretty much to just keep the ball ticking over (as i’m led to believe), then it’s possible he places little emphasis / pressure on certain midfielders to get goals / create opportunities.  His own record, was a goal every 16 games....2 or 3 a season.  Wade Elliott was excellent at keeping the ball ticking over, but he advanced into the final third, took ownership to create and score.  I’ve got to say, I rarely saw WE waste a key pass / cross.

1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

Last January remains one of the biggest mysteries in how and why we failed to grasp the moment. Our stock in the media had never been higher on the back of our cup run. At the end of December we were in a healthy league position and would have been high on the list of potential clubs for a number of players wanting a move. 

If our management are to be believed, the players we brought in would have been watched on a number of occasions prior to being brought in. This means that the decision to sign would have been made at the mid to end of December with no room for a plan B. The fact that Kent only became available at this time due to his loan being unexpectedly terminated in Germany shows that we don't always view our players six times and prepare the files before signing them. In fact, realistically, only Walsh could have possibly been scouted in accordance with our own transfer rules.

It’s wholly possible that we didn’t do our due diligence on him, and relied on his time at Barnsley to base the opinion. 

So, moving forward into this window, again, if the City transfer policy is still being applied as we understand it, potential signings will already be under observation. Given that the window opens in four weeks. The squad is starting to puff out and this could quickly turn into the situation we faced in our last championship campaign where the team grew more stale with each passing season until relegation. I don't want to be pessimistic but a top six spot this year, in my opinion, is out of reach of this squad. We aren't going to be relegated either. I don't see the point of investing money to further puff out a squad that will probably finish 9th or 10th. Let's use the second half of this season to get it right as a team. Identify who will carry us forward into 19/20 and who needs to start looking elsewhere and really do our homework on what we need to get it right. The management team, pitchside and in the backroom are going nowhere anytime soon. At least that provides some continuity of thought. We can't go on shelling out hand over fist and running on the spot while we do it. I'd like to think the remainder of this season and the summer is a chance to get the priorities right, set clear objectives from the top down and push on. I would then say, SL has to make the right call on the managers future. Not being relegated, or mid table obscurity would not be enough to keep going in the job. Forget January, sort the squad out in terms of a clear strategy on the pitch, fill the gaps in over the summer and go for it in 19/20. Then it really would be bingo or bollocks for LJ.

38 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't think Paterson behind Diedhiou is a plan that works tbh. You want Paterson if he plays '10'- which is all he should play if he does- behind a mobile or hard working striker- Reid was great but Weimann or even Taylor- of those 2 I'd say Paterson-Weimann combination is the closest to Paterson-Reid. By contrast, Paterson-Diedhiou, just reduces both of their effectiveness I think.

Regards January, I'm not expecting much- maybe a good loanee if there is one on offer and they are relatively affordable, but we've still got the overhang of huge losses last year. OR we could look to get them in early, strengthen in January on the proviso that we'll have a really quiet summer but with the chance to bed in any additions for an extra half season.

We started the season with Pato and Weimann.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I never saw LJ play in the flesh, but if his game was pretty much to just keep the ball ticking over (as i’m led to believe), then it’s possible he places little emphasis / pressure on certain midfielders to get goals / create opportunities.  His own record, was a goal every 16 games....2 or 3 a season.  Wade Elliott was excellent at keeping the ball ticking over, but he advanced into the final third, took ownership to create and score.  I’ve got to say, I rarely saw WE waste a key pass / cross.

You didn’t miss much Dave. He was bang average and had his dad not been the manager LJ wouldn’t have started many games under anyone else. He knew that and why he opted to go out on loan and move to Scotland. Can’t have been easy for him.

Wade Elliot was far and away a much better player than LJ but had Senior been the manager when Wade was at City he’d have been on the bench...

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You didn’t miss much Dave. He was bang average and had his dad not been the manager LJ wouldn’t have started many games under anyone else. He knew that and why he opted to go out on loan and move to Scotland. Can’t have been easy for him.

Wade Elliot was far and away a much better player than LJ but had Senior been the manager when Wade was at City he’d have been on the bench...

Ta.

i do love the term “bang average” - I’ve never seen it used as a compliment ?

Bang Average isn’t average at all is it!!!

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We started the season with Pato and Weimann.

Indeed- hard to keep track of some of our combinations of midfield/striker given LJ's tombola machine though!

When I was thinking of Paterson and Weimann it was the 4-4-1-1 style- Brownhill on the right could have given it the best chance to flourish, 2 wingers- and performances weren't bad- leaves something missing not defensively but in terms of fluidity.

Then we saw the beginnings of the now dizzying rotation kicked in- Watkins behind those 2 v Boro and that was small- that was just the start...

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ta.

i do love the term “bang average” - I’ve never seen it used as a compliment ?

Bang Average isn’t average at all is it!!!

There were plenty of games Dave when he was anonymous but always played the next game.........:facepalm:

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Indeed- hard to keep track of some of our combinations of midfield/striker given LJ's tombola machine though!

When I was thinking of Paterson and Weimann it was the 4-4-1-1 style- Brownhill on the right could have given it the best chance to flourish, 2 wingers- and performances weren't bad- leaves something missing not defensively but in terms of fluidity.

Then we saw the beginnings of the now dizzying rotation kicked in- Watkins behind those 2 v Boro and that was small- that was just the start...

So a front 6 of

Weimann

Paterson

Eliasson Pack Morrell Brownhill 

why not!

Archived