IGNORED

Next Five - how many points?

Super

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

Norwich, Sheff utd they lost good or best players. The argument is a non-starter for me, because in football you just get on with it becuase it's always happened. Good call BS4

Isn’t that exactly what we have done..?! 

Arent we pretty much where we finished last season, WITH that extra talent, plus those that have been out injured, plus several back up players that have moved on..?! 

11th in the championship IS hard to argue with... but there is just something teetering, a little nagging (lucky today etc )

maybe the fear of a total collapse later on, no that would never happen would it (think about LJ's win percentage)

Happy with the table, but things aren't as great as some are making out either.

17 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Isn’t that exactly what we have done..?! 

Arent we pretty much where we finished last season, WITH that extra talent, plus those that have been out injured, plus several back up players that have moved on..?! 

Never again dare oppose AppyDAZE with your sensible arguments  :laugh:

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Norwich sold their best players before this season...including Maddison...they didn’t make a slow start...

....and how long do you think the Johnsons have been associated with Bristol City? “30 years”????!!!!! You think GJ joined us in 1988????!!!!!!

Actually, they did- but more crucially they had a year to bed in their philosophy under Farke. Selling Maddison- well I wouldn't say it helped them but they reinvested some of it wisely, but more importantly it meant they all had to step up, not just 'If we're in trouble, give it to Maddison'. That's one part anyway.

@AppyDAZE Sheffield United sold Brooks but wouldn't say they got that much weaker- they reinvested wisely in the main and had to change the precise nature of their tactics a bit but they didn't lose their best defender, top scorer and excellent LM/LW in one summer. We had a bigger transition. Not saying the football couldn't be better however.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Actually, they did- but more crucially they had a year to bed in their philosophy. Selling Maddison- well I wouldn't say it helped them but they reinvested some of it wisely, but more importantly it meant they all had to step up, not just 'If we're in trouble, give it to Maddison'. That's one part anyway.

@AppyDAZE Sheffield United sold Brooks but wouldn't say they got that much weaker- they reinvested wisely in the main and had to change the precise nature of their tactics a bit but they didn't lose their best defender, top scorer and excellent LM/LW in one summer. We had a bigger transition.

True, but the point I was making was teams, unless you are a huge club, are going to lose their good players. just get on with it because bringing it up time and time again means nothing. Are we saying LJ loses all his good players but isn't being backed? THAT is another argument.

Bear in mind SL apparently wants top 6 this season. not sure i believe him.  but there we are

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

True, but the point I was making was teams, unless you are a huge club, are going to lose their good players. just get on with it because bringing it up time and time again means nothing. Are we saying LJ loses all his good players and isn't being backed? THAT is another argument.

Bear in mind SL apparently wants top 6 this season. not sure i believe him.  but there we are

It's all ******* nonsense mate. The same people who go on about selling our best players, are the ones who buy into the strategy of developing players to sell on. They're always going to be our best players!!

So the club, management and sympathisers have always got an excuse. 

6 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

True, but the point I was making was teams, unless you are a huge club, are going to lose their good players. just get on with it because bringing it up time and time again means nothing. Are we saying LJ loses all his good players and isn't being backed? THAT is another argument.

True that- however I can't think of any other key players Sheff Utd lost, but anyway...

Having said that we rolled the dice last season in a manner of speaking, the payoff was the summer we had- so LJ not being backed correctly? Would argue not much choice this summer in that respect, especially with Bryan and Reid contract would have expired next summer had they remained. We couldn't have really backed him a lot more fiscally speaking- but then this League is a nonsense financially in a lot of cases so it's why you get dice roll, sales etc.

Yeah- that could be taken a number of ways, 1) Genuinely held overinflated expectations. 2) PR for fans and season tickets, looking to rally the club. 3) Someone mentioned it in another thread- a challenge to the club, MA, LJ etc. 4) This is a vastly outside possibility so don't take it too seriously, but it's not impossible as in not 100% unprovably impossible that the higher expectations thing could be a way to manage LJ out of the club- set some unrealistic expectations to improve when all signs point to a middling type season in this context...

@glynriley Accounts, FFP- Companies House, Kieran Maguire and EFL FFP regs on the EFL website are a good starting point. Besides which perhaps there is flexibility in the plan- which we actually saw last season.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

True that- however I can't think of any other key players Sheff Utd lost, but anyway...

Having said that we rolled the dice last season in a manner of speaking, the payoff was the summer we had- so LJ not being backed correctly? Would argue not much choice this summer in that respect, especially with Bryan and Reid contract would have expired next summer had they remained. We couldn't have really backed him a lot more fiscally speaking- but then this League is a nonsense financially in a lot of cases so it's why you get dice roll, sales etc.

Yeah- that could be taken a number of ways, 1) Genuinely held overinflated expectations. 2) PR for fans and season tickets, looking to rally the club. 3) Someone mentioned it in another thread- a challenge to the club, MA, LJ etc. 4) This is a vastly outside possibility so don't take it too seriously, but it's not impossible as in not 100% unprovably impossible that the higher expectations thing could be a way to manage LJ out of the club- set some unrealistic expectations to improve when all signs point to a middling type season in this context...

@glynriley Accounts, FFP- Companies House, Kieran Maguire and EFL FFP regs on the EFL website are a good starting point. Besides which perhaps there is flexibility in the plan- which we actually saw last season.

4 games won after xmas WITH Bryan, Reid and Flint.

The pattern is there whether they were sold or not

If they werent sold, we'd be better attacking but worse defending. Result.. same position in league quite posible.

Our owner wants top 6

Smaller clubs lose players, and they have to shut up and get on with it.

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

4 games won after xmas WITH Bryan, Reid and Flint.

The pattern is there whether they were sold or not

I think we would have been higher had we been able to keep hold of them tbh. Perhaps pushing top 6? Other factors too- the Cup run, the 8 or 9 injuries, elements of the pressing game- and yeah tactical errors by LJ. Think there's a lot of reasons behind our collapse last year but also think we should have made playoffs from where we were. I don't think we will see a collapse like last season again- no it won't be fun football but I think we will likely continue to win a few, draw a few and lose a few- perhaps go on streaks- and finish around midtable.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think we would have been higher had we been able to keep hold of them tbh. Perhaps pushing top 6? Other factors too- the Cup run, the 8 or 9 injuries, elements of the pressing game- and yeah tactical errors by LJ. Think there's a lot of reasons behind our collapse last year but also think we should have made playoffs from where we were. I don't think we will see a collapse like last season again- no it won't be fun football but I think we will likely continue to win a few, draw a few and lose a few- perhaps go on streaks- and finish around midtable.

you could well be right.

if i dont see you again, Happy New Year fellow Red

it's all about opinions, and i am well aware that I talk total crap at times.. probably like everyone on OTIB from :laugh: time to time

On 29/12/2018 at 22:06, AppyDAZE said:

you could well be right.

if i dont see you again, Happy New Year fellow Red

it's all about opinions, and i am well aware that I talk total crap at times.. probably like everyone on OTIB from :laugh: time to time

If this last time posting in 2018, Happy New Year to you too fellow Red.

That's it- all about opinions. What the board is about really, and a great board it is too- we all have a variety of views- my personal 'highlight' in that regard was when I suggested Mitrovic on loan in the summer in response to my dismay at the outgoing transfers- had hoped that thread slipped away into the ether! :laughcont:

Archived