IGNORED

Not one player in the top 50

foghornred

Interesting. On whoscored we have Webster at 38 (one position above Flint). Whoscored filter it by players who have more appearances than the average number of appearances. Whoscored is also just this season's appearances, and I don't think they weight it for recent appearances.

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/7379/Stages/16389/PlayerStatistics/England-Championship-2018-2019

Just a different angle. Although neither are flattering for us.

To me, we have what I would call a lot of 6/10 players.

Good, passable but few outstanding individuals- maybe one or 2 could develop into that and arguably some are being held back also by LJ's tactics.  Surprised Kelly isn't in the top 50 at least, he's done great so far.

That said a different manager could still probably get more out of them.

How many players do we have in the top 10 of their position in the league? Only one I’d consider is Webster and there are a fair few quality CBs in the league so he’d be nearer to 9-10 if at all. We don’t have the best individuals but doesn’t mean we should not be better. 

• Admin
21 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't think such stats mean we haven't got good individuals. 

Don't want to be rude, but that is exactly what those stats are pointing out

Nobody in that side stands out consistently at the moment, yeah tactically we seem to get it wrong so often but if a player was putting in a shift we wouldn't have all the problems we are getting at the moment

Let's be honest at best we are a lower mid table side at present, speaks for itself that the team are nowhere to be seen on this list

I  think it's the team we lack, not so much individuals? That might sound contradictory?  A good manager would create a style of play which suits the available players and which is tactically astute [An Identity, if you will? Lee?] which is superior to it's parts.  So players of an adequate standard can slot in and out of the adopted system.  With a decent manager, we are a striker and a midfielder short of being a top ten side IMHO.  I know they have Tammy and have spent big bucks, but  Villa are now a different team [same players] now that they have a tactically aware, highly motivational manager.........they are no longer individuals, but a side with a successful system of play?

Diédhiou was actually in the last one and the only Bristol City player that was in there. However I’m not too surprised we have no players in there as we have just had 4 losses in a row but if Eliasson and Kelly keeps up his form from the last two games and Diédhiou from the Ipswich game then hopefully that will change in the next top 50

6 hours ago, foghornred said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/11571338/championship-power-rankings-derby-countys-harry-wilson-top

We do not have one player in the top 50 Championship players but Tammy is 2nd if we can take any credit for that.

Just shows that we are a team without individuals,maybe in January we may sign one.

Luke Freeman plays for us doesn't he? He's 14th. ?

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not really 

The players he’s provided simply aren’t good enough .......and.....

Its all Mark Ashton’s fault

I’m sure that’s a ‘tough in cheek’ remark Bob......MA is the negotiator at the club. He tries to agree deals with players that LJ has told him to meet their agents.

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Stats are nonsense. Pick a top players list in this division and we have a few in it. If Webster isnt in that list then that fact makes it redundant. He has been superb 

But he hasn't helped us be successful - only 7 other Championship teams have lost more games than us.

Webster has to take some shared accountability for the defeats - this is probably why he's not as highly thought of..

7 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

I think he is pretty average. I expect professional footballers to be able to cross. Floating around in his own no mans land most of the time.

Did you see the game Sunday ?

His front foot approach , attacking intent and dangerous balls whipped in time after time were the bright spot

Interesting comment ‘Floating around in his own no mans land most of the time.’ - Think that does resonate to date , but I think he’s getting much better , two good performances back to back , away and at home, good forward intent and working really hard at his defensive duties and positioning too

He is one I’m starting to put in the LJ credit bank - he’s clearly been working with him and credit to NE he’s trying desperately hard to deliver in his all round game - it’s noticeable and his enthusiasm is noticeable and should be infectious

He appears to have come as a very raw (naive) footballer but one with talent 

Afraid he might be a little lightweight but the lad has ability , and a very good attitude - if he can continue to learn he could be destined for better than us

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Did you see the game Sunday ?

His front foot approach , attacking intent and dangerous balls whipped in time after time were the bright spot

Interesting comment ‘Floating around in his own no mans He has put on to much mussel andland most of the time.’ - Think that does resonate to date , but I think he’s getting much better , two good performances back to back , away and at home, good forward intent and working really hard at his defensive duties and positioning too

BCTV let us down for +40 min but I watched the second half

2 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

BCTV let us down for +40 min but I watched the second half

Ipswich ?

He was IMHO excellent at Ipswich - worked hard at his positioning , tracking back and filling spaces as well as involvement in the goals

Could have possibly done better on Ipswich’s first but I can see improvement in his all round game and a top predator would thrive on his crosses

2 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

But he hasn't helped us be successful - only 7 other Championship teams have lost more games than us.

Webster has to take some shared accountability for the defeats - this is probably why he's not as highly thought of..

It’s a team game.  If Kyle Walker played for us we probably wouldn’t be any better off. I blame Webster for nothing this season.

6 hours ago, JonDolman said:

So you think our players aren't giving their all? I don't see that personally. I see a team that is constantly changed, not just in personnel, but in tactics and philosophy. Our players cannot get any momentum. A different manager might get the exact same players playing so much better. I think we have a very good squad of players, but just need strengthening in a couple of areas.

exactly this. if we could play the next game like we did for the short highlights of Saturday,we would be better but rather than go with that,lj will change the whole structure and tactics of the team so they don't have a starting point and have to find one before they get going

Archived