IGNORED

Club web site: Wally Hinshelwood

cidered abroad

The club have posted a short piece about his recent death with a photo of Wally.

Except that is not a photo of Wally Hinshelwood.

I'm trying to remember who it is a photo of. Two names come to mind. John McCann and Derek Virgin but not sure.

Any other City oldies help me out?

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO

Who in the club should I contact?

• Admin

Shame it took club so long to put a piece on the website, and when they do they get the wrong picture! 

If you are on twitter the authors contact details are at the top of the report, if not pm me your contact details and I can pass it on to the author for you 

2 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

Looks like they are building a photo gallery of mis-named players after their Newman gaffe and now this.  A bit like LJ, they don't learn from their mistakes.

Absolutely, shoddy and embarrassing. If you are going to do such a feature you need to double check everything before going public.

59 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Link didn't work, but there's a pic of Watkins on Pinterest in short sleeves in 1954. 

Did you mean link to my two photos didn't work?

One had Watkins in 1956 team with long sleeves rolled up and shirts had collars. The other had McCann in 1960-61 team with short sleeves and v neck shirts.

Just now, redysteadygo said:

Did you mean link to my two photos didn't work?

One had Watkins in 1956 team with long sleeves rolled up and shirts had collars. The other had McCann in 1960-61 team with short sleeves and v neck shirts.

No, your team photos downloaded just fine. It was my own incompetence I was referring to. Phantom demonstrated that it was not that difficult, as shown in post 16 above.

Wally H is of course on the lower far left as you view it, in your top pic.

4 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

The club have posted a short piece about his recent death with a photo of Wally.

Except that is not a photo of Wally Hinshelwood.

I'm trying to remember who it is a photo of. Two names come to mind. John McCann and Derek Virgin but not sure.

Any other City oldies help me out?

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO

Who in the club should I contact?

Thanks for this... I’ve passed it onto the media team. 

Matt

39 minutes ago, Blagdon Mike said:

Regret the incorrect photo is my responsibility not the Club's.

We are sorting it as I type this.

Humble apologies, especially to the Hinshelwood family.

That said, BM, it shows we have no-one able to properly connect with our more distant past (ie over the age of about 19). Bit embarrassing, really. Mistakes are always made but it's not hard to double check things, even when it comes from an experienced fan like BM. Afraid to say it but the current regime have no truck with our past from before their engagement. That's not my opinion, but one from in the club. Shame. Players, men like Wally deserve the greatest of respect. 

4 hours ago, redysteadygo said:

See the source image

Digressing slightly from the original post, but it is interesting to see the squad photo including a certain Theodore Michael Thresher.

Regrettably, I never got to see him play, although I recall hearing from my family that he was an extremely hard defender: doesn't he look it? 

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Digressing slightly from the original post, but it is interesting to see the squad photo including a certain Theodore Michael Thresher.

Regrettably, I never got to see him play, although I recall hearing from my family that he was an extremely hard defender: doesn't he look it? 

That team photo has several top City legends.

John Atyeo, Tommy Burden, Mike Thresher, Jantzen Derrick, Jimmy Rogers and Tony Cook. And Jack Connor joined three months after this photo taken.

Oh, for those to be around now.

12 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

From my recollection Thresher was very quick and generally took both ball and player in a lot of his challenges! Can't recall him ever losing his rag though, but I was only a lad, so memory of back then may not be that accurate.

I can though remember that he loved playing against Georgie Petherbridgde, Rover's right winger, who was terrified of him. So much so that he often would just give up possession when Thresher was tearing in to make a challenge. Literally running out of the way. Great memories.

We could certainly do with some of Thresher's attitude and application in the team today!

Archived