IGNORED

Club web site: Wally Hinshelwood

cidered abroad

16 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Digressing slightly from the original post, but it is interesting to see the squad photo including a certain Theodore Michael Thresher.

Regrettably, I never got to see him play, although I recall hearing from my family that he was an extremely hard defender: doesn't he look it? 

Quick too, very quick.

6 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

From my recollection Thresher was very quick and generally took both ball and player in a lot of his challenges! Can't recall him ever losing his rag though, but I was only a lad, so memory of back then may not be that accurate.

I can though remember that he loved playing against Georgie Petherbridgde, Rover's right winger, who was terrified of him. So much so that he often would just give up possession when Thresher was tearing in to make a challenge. Literally running out of the way. Great memories.

We could certainly do with some of Thresher's attitude and application in the team today!

He got a mention in Mike Summerbee's autobiography for the games they had when MS was a youngster starting on his career at Swindon.

The best defending left back at City in my lifetime.

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

He got a mention in Mike Summerbee's autobiography for the games they had when MS was a youngster starting on his career at Swindon.

The best defending left back at City in my lifetime.

Remember the Morgan twins, Roger and Ian, 18 year olds playing on the wings for QPR in 1964 facing full backs Thresher on one side and our other tough tackling full back Alec Briggs on the other. I really felt for them facing these two in what I believe was their debut season. As far as I can remember during the floodlit game at AG they didn't get much of a look in but survived.

Briggs took over Thresher's left back spot when he left and Tony Ford came in at right back.

Archived