IGNORED

Man Utd, too good to go down

1960maaan

Documentary about Utd when they were shit, post Busby struggles with some interesting looking interviews. I hate Utd, but some great players at the end of their careers and a period when they were really poor. I was at the 1-0 home win in Div 2, John Emanual I believe, proper football then . Should be a good watch. 

BT Sport 1 , 10:30pm

For you young 'uns; Man U were replaced in the top division, it was called Division 1 in those days, they were replaced by Carlisle.

If Sky TV had been around then, CUFC rather than MUFC would have benefited from the money they keep for their favourite big boys.

Does City's exploit feature in this booklet?

Image result for 1974-75 season

The odd and unique thing about that 74-75 season is that the teams finishing 4th, 5th & 6th, were Sunderland, City & WBA. The following season they finished 1st, 2nd & 3rd.

4 hours ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Was that when Tommy Docherty threw his toys out of the pram and said 'I wouldn't cross the road to watch Bristol City' ?

Reading some of there posts on OTIB at the moment, plenty of our own fans seem to feel much the same! :shocking:

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You keep making these comments about the forum 

Whats your current take ?

Over the last 2 seasons I have been broadly supportive of LJ, despite the poor runs of form and results that have punctuated the good runs. I was also pleased to see the style of football we played last season. Despite the personnel changes in the summer I was also pleasantly encouraged ( and a little surprised) by the good start we made to this season.

The club's long term plan ( which I think is the right one ) involves bringing in players with potential, as well as developing our own through the academy, so that we have the ability to see for a profit - not as an end in itself, but as the means to an end. This summer is the first time we have sold key players, and 3 of them at once, but I think it makes this a pivotal season for LJ, because while many accept that losing Flint, Bryan and Reid must affect our playing strength, it is not as though LJ was not allowed to bring in replacements - Weimann, Webster, Adelukan, Eisa and Kalas on loan).

If LJ has bought in to SL's long term plan, then surely part of that has to be acceptance of not just a turnover in players, but that the owner would expect that to be achieved without a dramatic negative effect on the pitch. As I mentioned, the start of the season was reassuring, but as the season has progressed, we haven't and LJ seems to be reverting to type, in that his selections have become more random and we have lost the distinctive playing style we had for a lot of last season - most seem to wonder just what our style now is.

At the worst points of the last 2 seasons, the one good thing was that we continued to play pretty well, and even on our losing streaks were in games and often unlucky to win. The worrying trend recently has been the quality of our football and that even when winning, we have been lucky to do so.

There has been an underlying antipathy towards LJ since his appointment, but I sense that in the last month there has been a noticeable change. When we lost 4 on the bounce it was perfectly understandable that the natives would get restless ( how many of us thought " here we go again"?)  but whereas previously the end of a losing streak would be met with relief, the win and draw in the last week seem only to  have hardened fans' opinions. Although we all have our own ways of measuring progress, I think that that the club has progressed over the last 2 seasons but the moment. however,  it feels that at best we are treading water but there is concern that we might be starting to go backwards.

Many seem to feel that LJ is untouchable, as far as SL is concerned, but I'm not so sure.Notwithstanding the long term plan, I also think that SL has his eye on the club's finances and having developed the stadium specifically to increase income and fill the gaps left by ffp restrictions, and seen it pretty full for the last couple of seasons, the last thing he will want is for attendances to slump and future season ticket sales to be be jeopardised if fans are being turned off by performances and the unattractive football being served up under LJ. Given that we look as though we will scrape in under the ffp limits, a drop in income is the last thing we need and want if we are to be competitive in the championship.

I want our coach/manager to do well, whoever that might be, because it means the team is doing well. I am pleased that SL bucked the trend and stuck with LJ at a time ( 2 season ago) when I am sure just about every other owner in the league would have pulled the plug and was also pleased when that faith seemed to be repaid with the first half of last season. However, my worry is that LJ seems to struggle to maintain constancy and is doing so again, and although the losing run was halted quicker than in the past, that seems to have been more by luck than judgement and that does not auger well for the future. 

From much of what I read LJ is a good coach on the training ground and has shown he can develop players. However, from the coach with a clearly defined playing style and players playing to it last season, he now seems to have no consistent way of playing, and players seem to chop and change with little apparent reason ( apart from Paterson, who often keeps his place for no parent reason) My worry at the moment is that it sounds like the players are playing without much confidence but also with little spirit or motivation and if LJ cannot install this in his team then it doesn't matter how much he buys into SL's plan as results will suffer.

Unless there is a sharp upturn, and soon,   I am coming round to thinking it might be time for change, but as always the question then is who?  

There you go Bob - for what it's worth.

10 hours ago, downendcity said:

Over the last 2 seasons I have been broadly supportive of LJ, despite the poor runs of form and results that have punctuated the good runs. I was also pleased to see the style of football we played last season. Despite the personnel changes in the summer I was also pleasantly encouraged ( and a little surprised) by the good start we made to this season.

The club's long term plan ( which I think is the right one ) involves bringing in players with potential, as well as developing our own through the academy, so that we have the ability to see for a profit - not as an end in itself, but as the means to an end. This summer is the first time we have sold key players, and 3 of them at once, but I think it makes this a pivotal season for LJ, because while many accept that losing Flint, Bryan and Reid must affect our playing strength, it is not as though LJ was not allowed to bring in replacements - Weimann, Webster, Adelukan, Eisa and Kalas on loan).

If LJ has bought in to SL's long term plan, then surely part of that has to be acceptance of not just a turnover in players, but that the owner would expect that to be achieved without a dramatic negative effect on the pitch. As I mentioned, the start of the season was reassuring, but as the season has progressed, we haven't and LJ seems to be reverting to type, in that his selections have become more random and we have lost the distinctive playing style we had for a lot of last season - most seem to wonder just what our style now is.

At the worst points of the last 2 seasons, the one good thing was that we continued to play pretty well, and even on our losing streaks were in games and often unlucky to win. The worrying trend recently has been the quality of our football and that even when winning, we have been lucky to do so.

There has been an underlying antipathy towards LJ since his appointment, but I sense that in the last month there has been a noticeable change. When we lost 4 on the bounce it was perfectly understandable that the natives would get restless ( how many of us thought " here we go again"?)  but whereas previously the end of a losing streak would be met with relief, the win and draw in the last week seem only to  have hardened fans' opinions. Although we all have our own ways of measuring progress, I think that that the club has progressed over the last 2 seasons but the moment. however,  it feels that at best we are treading water but there is concern that we might be starting to go backwards.

Many seem to feel that LJ is untouchable, as far as SL is concerned, but I'm not so sure.Notwithstanding the long term plan, I also think that SL has his eye on the club's finances and having developed the stadium specifically to increase income and fill the gaps left by ffp restrictions, and seen it pretty full for the last couple of seasons, the last thing he will want is for attendances to slump and future season ticket sales to be be jeopardised if fans are being turned off by performances and the unattractive football being served up under LJ. Given that we look as though we will scrape in under the ffp limits, a drop in income is the last thing we need and want if we are to be competitive in the championship.

I want our coach/manager to do well, whoever that might be, because it means the team is doing well. I am pleased that SL bucked the trend and stuck with LJ at a time ( 2 season ago) when I am sure just about every other owner in the league would have pulled the plug and was also pleased when that faith seemed to be repaid with the first half of last season. However, my worry is that LJ seems to struggle to maintain constancy and is doing so again, and although the losing run was halted quicker than in the past, that seems to have been more by luck than judgement and that does not auger well for the future. 

From much of what I read LJ is a good coach on the training ground and has shown he can develop players. However, from the coach with a clearly defined playing style and players playing to it last season, he now seems to have no consistent way of playing, and players seem to chop and change with little apparent reason ( apart from Paterson, who often keeps his place for no parent reason) My worry at the moment is that it sounds like the players are playing without much confidence but also with little spirit or motivation and if LJ cannot install this in his team then it doesn't matter how much he buys into SL's plan as results will suffer.

Unless there is a sharp upturn, and soon,   I am coming round to thinking it might be time for change, but as always the question then is who?  

There you go Bob - for what it's worth.

Thanks

Fair play 

A comprehensive  , well written summary of your thoughts 

3 minutes ago, Nongazeuse said:

Yes he did and I was there as well - 89th minute.

The locals were not happy as I wandered back to my student digs trying not to look smug...

Good stuff. When you say locals are you referring to residents of Tokyo or Shanghai ?

12 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Good stuff. When you say locals are you referring to residents of Tokyo or Shanghai ?

In those days MUFC fans were mainly Mancunians although they had a reputation for causing a lot of trouble at away matches - so there were quite a lot wannabee  hooligans from all over the place who "supported" them. 

I think the prawn sandwich / armchair fans appeared a few years later after they had won the league once or twice.

34 minutes ago, Nongazeuse said:

In those days MUFC fans were mainly Mancunians although they had a reputation for causing a lot of trouble at away matches - so there were quite a lot wannabee  hooligans from all over the place who "supported" them. 

I think the prawn sandwich / armchair fans appeared a few years later after they had won the league once or twice.

You are right. I recall the same year being in the old West End (open end) when we played Man Ure at home. City scored and my emotions went haywire along with many kicks and punches to my anatomy. We eventually made the journey to the relative safety of pitchside only to be kicked out by the old bill. We won so who gives a shit !!

Archived