IGNORED

Ashton in the USA ......

headhunter

This time last year our CEO was, like LJ, enjoying the high profile associated with the club's on field success.

Its been somewhat different this calendar year! 

Mark is doing his career no harm with his appointment to the EFL board and I noticed this on the Bristol Post website this morning:

You never know we might find our January transfer activity sees us sign some players from across the pond!!!

Wonder who he sends his US expenses report to? 

The USL is a pretty useless league which starts one level below the MLS but on a relative basis is somewhere between non-league and park football. Not sure who he is benefiting by being out there (them, probably - not bad extra-curricular when we pay him 400 grand a year), but I do like his speaker bio:

https://www.uslsoccer.com/winter-summit-speaker-bios

"With over 25 years’ experience in professional football, Bristol City Chief Executive Mark Ashton has a track record of delivering successful and profitable business models. Mark has extensive experience in running successful, promotion-winning clubs and delivering genuine return on investment."

HOW DOES HE MANAGE IT?? Put the prices up - tick. Disenfranchise long time supporters - tick. Waste lots of money on useless players - tick. But I guess by then selling our best players that were here before he got here, to cover it all, he's "delivered genuine return on investment" too. Clever guy.

Don't think Watford would endorse this bio either (they've got plenty of other things to say about him) and he left Oxford before they got promoted.

Unconfirmed reports that whilst Mark is in Florida, he's taking a look at two seasoned pros on loans. Mr Michael Mouse and Mr Donald Duck.

Duck has a real beak for the ball and literally flies up the wing. Mouse is quick and nippy but has a well known celebrity wife. She's a classic WAG so expect them to step out on Whiteladies Rd every Saturday night.

40 minutes ago, Olé said:

The USL is a pretty useless league which starts one level below the MLS but on a relative basis is somewhere between non-league and park football. 

The USL is a professional league. Its hardly comparable to the Southern league. Some teams get gates above 10000, Cincinatti get over 20000. There are many players who are more than useful and could easily play in England below the EPL but due to visa restrictions cannot. Lower down clubs like Detroit City in the NPL have set ups that are comparable to many English league clubs. 

8 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

It’s an interesting one.  I’m no fan of his.

However, on the other hand, £15m for Kodjia, £10m for Bobby (or whatever it was) and £7m for Joe when we had Lloyd coming through does look like pretty good business now?

TBF he has done pretty well on outgoings.

Now, if we could just get someone else to handle incomings.

11 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

However, on the other hand, £15m for Kodjia, £10m for Bobby (or whatever it was) and £7m for Joe when we had Lloyd coming through does look like pretty good business now?

And £2M on Engval,  £5.3M on Diedhiou,  plus Diony, Kent, O'Neil (£1M pa wages) etc etc doesn't....................very mixed results on "player trading"  - overall most on here would contend that the trading results, particularly recruitment has been poor.  That's self evident now that LJ has confirmed they're looking to recruit players to efffectivly replace players that were recruited in the summer.

Ashton is a fraudulent BS-er who got lucky that there were assets already here to sell.............

he'll take the credit no doubt when Kelly goes for a big fee as well

1 hour ago, Olé said:

The USL is a pretty useless league which starts one level below the MLS but on a relative basis is somewhere between non-league and park football. Not sure who he is benefiting by being out there (them, probably - not bad extra-curricular when we pay him 400 grand a year), but I do like his speaker bio:

https://www.uslsoccer.com/winter-summit-speaker-bios

"With over 25 years’ experience in professional football, Bristol City Chief Executive Mark Ashton has a track record of delivering successful and profitable business models. Mark has extensive experience in running successful, promotion-winning clubs and delivering genuine return on investment."

HOW DOES HE MANAGE IT?? Put the prices up - tick. Disenfranchise long time supporters - tick. Waste lots of money on useless players - tick. But I guess by then selling our best players that were here before he got here, to cover it all, he's "delivered genuine return on investment" too. Clever guy.

Don't think Watford would endorse this bio either (they've got plenty of other things to say about him) and he left Oxford before they got promoted.

Is he there on official Bristol City capacity or as a consultant for any of the companies he is a director of?  Just asking!!!

24 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

How many of them did he recruit? 

£11m for Kodjia plus £4m “potential add-ons” not yet realised. Don’t forget anywhere between 20-40% (depending on sources) of the £8.5m profit went to SCO Angers. 

But I agree he’s done well on outgoings. Just needs to do tonnes better with incomings. 

20 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The USL is a professional league. Its hardly comparable to the Southern league. Some teams get gates above 10000, Cincinatti get over 20000. There are many players who are more than useful and could easily play in England below the EPL but due to visa restrictions cannot. Lower down clubs like Detroit City in the NPL have set ups that are comparable to many English league clubs. 

Pretty sure all of the USL isn't professional when you go down the divisions, as I spoke to a couple of people while out on business, who played part time for a third or fourth tier USL team alongside their day job. Thought it was only their top division which is a level below MLS, which is professional, but mainly because it includes some clubs (Cincinnati included - one place I went to on business) that are pushing for the "expansion" places in the MLS and need to demonstrate support and professional operation.

The MLS games I've seen have been a mixed bag on standards as most who see it on TV will know, in the USL the standard drops away very quickly in my experience. No way you could put it on a par with the football league (I've watched a couple of Swope Park Rangers games as I have been to see Sporting KC over the years) and I certainly would be very surprised if someone even in the USL's top division would be a serious proposition for us, regardless of whether work permit/visa restrictions were an issue as well.

35 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

And £2M on Engval,  £5.3M on Diedhiou,  plus Diony, Kent, O'Neil (£1M pa wages) etc etc doesn't....................very mixed results on "player trading"  - overall most on here would contend that the trading results, particularly recruitment has been poor.  That's self evident now that LJ has confirmed they're looking to recruit players to efffectivly replace players that were recruited in the summer.

Ashton is a fraudulent BS-er who got lucky that there were assets already here to sell.............

he'll take the credit no doubt when Kelly goes for a big fee as well

1.4 million on engvall... 

When ashton arrived would anyone have said that we had 4 players worth a cumulative 33 million? 

That's not luck, it's getting the best deals out of players. Although I know it'll be hard for some people to admit this, that's something he has done well 

Profit on Kodjia alone must cover most of the true losses we’ve made on transfers since? 

I’m not his biggest fan but I think he’s shown we are no mugs regarding outgoing fees since his arrival. A few years ago the likes of Flint, Bryan and Reid would have left for feee at the end of their contracts....

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

Pretty sure all of the USL isn't professional when you go down the divisions, as I spoke to a couple of people while out on business, who played part time for a third or fourth tier USL team alongside their day job. Thought it was only their top division which is a level below MLS, which is professional, but mainly because it includes some clubs (Cincinnati included - one place I went to on business) that are pushing for the "expansion" places in the MLS and need to demonstrate support and professional operation.

The MLS games I've seen have been a mixed bag on standards as most who see it on TV will know, in the USL the standard drops away very quickly in my experience. No way you could put it on a par with the football league (I've watched a couple of Swope Park Rangers games as I have been to see Sporting KC over the years) and I certainly would be very surprised if someone even in the USL's top division would be a serious proposition for us, regardless of whether work permit/visa restrictions were an issue as well.

USL is pro and was given division two status a year ago. It is MLS 2.  It changes little but gives the division a pro status as part of a pro league framework. 

I have an acquaintance who played for Orange County blues and St Louis. Both clubs are wholly professional operations. Their players regularly have over sea experience in various pro leagues. The standard is hard to quantify, but with all respects to Forest Green the standard of the football league is also a mixed bag and frequently technically limited. Yes way my opinion is the USL can meet that not so lofty standard.

There are of course talented players in the USL who move up. Americas odd (Collegiate football?) football structure ensures this because it limits football opportunity for players due to having so few clubs. A upshot of this is that American players work hard and are generally are very professional, their rewards are frequently low salaries v Europe and one year contracts .. The cynic in me thinks many English players would not have pursued careers in football if the money was so low here,

I hope Bristol City keep an open mind everywhere .. 

25 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I believe MA was employed as a consultant for the summer window before our L1 promotion under Cotts so not so shabby on incomings eithet 

I'll give him that window then.

Since then it's gone horribly shaped like a pear.

25 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I believe MA was employed as a consultant for the summer window before our L1 promotion under Cotts so not so shabby on incomings eithet

No, no, no. He most definitely was not. MA tried to infer he was when he came here but it was BS!!!!  You fell for it ?

Lots of MA self-congratulating that if you dig beneath the surface is very easy to find fabrication of what a top guy he thinks he is.

On over £400k too ?

4 minutes ago, glynriley said:

See my post above

1 hour ago, YorksRed said:

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

Oh god, don't use facts mate. 

As others have said, how does Ashton take credit for players who were here before he joined in Jan 2016? He had nothing to do with identifying, signing, nurturing, improving ANY of these players. All he did was flog them. Thems the FACTS.

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

And £2M on Engval,  £5.3M on Diedhiou,  plus Diony, Kent, O'Neil (£1M pa wages) etc etc doesn't....................very mixed results on "player trading"  - overall most on here would contend that the trading results, particularly recruitment has been poor.  

All these players and plenty more besides however.....

His bio - as quoted in post #4 - is bullscheisse of the highest order. As expected.

It says - "experience in running successful, promotion-winning clubs". Yes indeed, in all the years as a CEO at Watford, Oxford and City he's been at the helm for ONE promotion.  (Watford in 2006 - who were immediately relegated under his watch but that's somehow not mentioned.)

It says - "experience delivering genuine return on investment". Sure, Kodjia, Reid, Bryan, Flint all represent a return on investment but - as above - he had NOTHING to do with producing this return (that would be down to whoever signed them, coached them, and the players themselves)

It says - "delivering successful and profitable business models". Really? We run at a profit do we???? (I'd guess Watford and Oxford didn't either)  

And, finally, if in doubt just google "ashton leaves Watford" and read the local paper's article dated 22/12/2008 - the one that begins:

"Logic dictates there must be one person with a good word to say about mark ashton's reign as Watford's chief executive, but I have yet to meet them"

and ends

"there are a lot of ex-employees who will feel there's now a chance of the club they knew returning"

Shitehouse.  

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, no, no. He most definitely was not. MA tried to infer he was when he came here but it was BS!!!!  You fell for it ?

Lots of MA self-congratulating that if you dig beneath the surface is very easy to find fabrication of what a top guy he thinks he is.

On over £400k too ?

See my post above

He can blow that out his arse then...

18 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

As others have said, how does Ashton take credit for players who were here before he joined in Jan 2016? He had nothing to do with identifying, signing, nurturing, improving ANY of these players. All he did was flog them. Thems the FACTS.

All these players and plenty more besides however.....

His bio - as quoted in post #4 - is bullscheisse of the highest order. As expected.

It says - "experience in running successful, promotion-winning clubs". Yes indeed, in all the years as a CEO at Watford, Oxford and City he's been at the helm for ONE promotion.  (Watford in 2006 - who were immediately relegated under his watch but that's somehow not mentioned.)

It says - "experience delivering genuine return on investment". Sure, Kodjia, Reid, Bryan, Flint all represent a return on investment but - as above - he had NOTHING to do with producing this return (that would be down to whoever signed them, coached them, and the players themselves)

It says - "delivering successful and profitable business models". Really? We run at a profit do we???? (I'd guess Watford and Oxford didn't either)  

And, finally, if in doubt just google "ashton leaves Watford" and read the local paper's article dated 22/12/2008 - the one that begins:

"Logic dictates there must be one person with a good word to say about mark ashton's reign as Watford's chief executive, but I have yet to meet them"

and ends

"there are a lot of ex-employees who will feel there's now a chance of the club they knew returning"

Shitehouse.  

The point I was making was slightly different - that it looks that the club maybe sold those players at the right time (arguable!) but most importantly rmaximised the price we got.  That’s different from taking credit for getting those players in, developing them etc.    

We seem have improved in this respect as a club at least (I remember the days of selling cheap and forgetting to include sell-ons!).

2 minutes ago, YorksRed said:

The point I was making was slightly different - that it looks that the club maybe sold those players at the right time (arguable!) but most importantly rmaximised the price we got.  That’s different from taking credit for getting those players in, developing them etc.    

We seem have improved in this respect as a club at least (I remember the days of selling cheap and forgetting to include sell-ons!).

True enough.

His bio, though, wants to suggest he's personally responsible for return on investment, profit, success etc... when in fact he had nothing to do with any of it and is therefore bullsceisse, spin, hot air. As you'd expect from him.

Unfortunately, modern football is full of his ilk.  

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

Not correct. He was here as a ‘consultant’ whilst McInnes was here and was gone before Sod arrived.  Ashton had absolutely nothing to do with the L1 promotion team.  

3 hours ago, headhunter said:

This time last year our CEO was, like LJ, enjoying the high profile associated with the club's on field success.

Its been somewhat different this calendar year! 

Mark is doing his career no harm with his appointment to the EFL board and I noticed this on the Bristol Post website this morning:

You never know we might find our January transfer activity sees us sign some players from across the pond!!!

Eastville Park pond? :shocking:

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

On over £400k too ?

See my post above

The info I got was from the BBC and directly quoted by Steve Lansdown:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35333639

Surely he's a more reliable source than anybody on here?

Archived