IGNORED

Ashton in the USA ......

headhunter

25 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

The info I got was from the BBC and directly quoted by Steve Lansdown:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35333639

Surely he's a more reliable source than anybody on here?

Wouldn’t have looked good if he’d said:

Mark introduced a recruitment tool / process in his time here, that Sean and Steve threw in the bin once they arrived. We are going to re-establish it on his return

Luckily Sean brought in Marlon, Frankie, Aden, Derrick etc without it and Steve brought in Korey, Luke (x2), Aaron, Kieran, Wade, Jonathan, Matt etc too. 

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

USL is pro and was given division two status a year ago. It is MLS 2. 

Sure, but USL isn't one division, it is a set of leagues, like I said, pretty sure USL League One and USL League Two as they are now called (and which the event MA has gone to seems to be promoting) are semi-pro, as with most football at "Division III" level in the US pyramid (where MLS is "Division I" level and USL Championship is "Division II" level).

I don't doubt the quality and professionalism you've seen examples of at USL Championship level, and one thing US sports "franchises" do well is organisation so that should not be a surprise, but I maintain that the overall standard even at USL's top level isn't the best from football I've seen, except for teams preparing for MLS or acting as an MLS B team.

This is also reflected in the origins of the non-US players at that level - either released from youth systems in the UK/Europe after several attempts to make it, or transferring after spells at increasingly lower division teams including into semi-pro level (sixth tier UK or beyond). Plucked these names direct from a list of the best English players at that level:

As an aside, I just took a look at St. Louis, who you mentioned you knew someone at, and see that Tony Pulis' son is the manager...! 

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Wouldn’t have looked good if he’d said:

Mark introduced a recruitment tool / process in his time here, that Sean and Steve threw in the bin once they arrived. We are going to re-establish it on his return

Luckily Sean brought in Marlon, Frankie, Aden, Derrick etc without it and Steve brought in Korey, Luke (x2), Aaron, Kieran, Wade, Jonathan, Matt etc too. 

The article says MA was here in 2014 during Cotts time, I think you need to let this one go

11 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

The article says MA was here in 2014 during Cotts time, I think you need to let this one go

No it doesn’t!  Please read it again:

Prior to joining the U's, Ashton worked for City in a consultancy role when he was heavily involved in establishing the talent identification and recruitment system which was the foundation of the club's player recruitment in the first half of 2014.

"We made sure we didn't lose contact with Mark after he had done such an excellent job for us in establishing the systems which were used to such good effect in the 2014 summer transfer window," said Bristol City owner Steve Lansdown

It is subtle but it says we used his system in 2014, not he was here and @Harry will confirm he was not here in 2014.

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No it doesn’t!  Please read it again:

Prior to joining the U's, Ashton worked for City in a consultancy role when he was heavily involved in establishing the talent identification and recruitment system which was the foundation of the club's player recruitment in the first half of 2014.

"We made sure we didn't lose contact with Mark after he had done such an excellent job for us in establishing the systems which were used to such good effect in the 2014 summer transfer window," said Bristol City owner Steve Lansdown

It is subtle but it says we used his system in 2014, not he was here and @Harry will confirm he was not here in 2014.

All that matters is he was a consultant during the summer 2014 transfer window and the system he devised was a major factor in the signings we made at that time. Whether he was ever on the premises here or not I don't know but that's largely irrelevant, a consultant can give advice via the internet as well as the phone these days and Steve L obviously highly rated the support he gave or we wouldn't have employed him again. Just give the bloke some credit where it's due.

Just now, ashton_fan said:

All that matters is he was a consultant during the summer 2014 transfer window and the system he devised was a major factor in the signings we made at that time. Whether he was ever on the premises here or not I don't know but that's largely irrelevant, a consultant can give advice via the internet as well as the phone these days and Steve L obviously highly rated the support he gave or we wouldn't have employed him again. Just give the bloke some credit where it's due.

No - read @Harry‘s earlier response. 

I have given him credit for the money we’ve gained from selling the biggies but he had nothing to do with 2014, either in person, over the phone, via web collaboration nor was his system used. 

Cotts relied on old school methods and Cotts also ignored some of the scouts (to his detriment) who identified other players who’ve done even better than the crop of 2014.

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

The info I got was from the BBC and directly quoted by Steve Lansdown:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35333639

Surely he's a more reliable source than anybody on here?

40 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I can assure you that Ashton was not here in 2014. It’s pure spin, as Merricks marvels said. 

I know for an absolute and unequivocal fact he was employed by the club from summer 2012 to January 2013. He was here during the McInnes era and was working on a new database for recruitment. During his time he oversaw the recruitment of a squad that limped tamely and embarrassingly out of this division. 

Mcinnes didn’t want him here. And I’ve had a conversation with his son who is very disparaging of Ashton’s involvement and the reign he had on signings. Sod didn’t want him here and he was gone when he took over. 

Any successful signings we made during 2012 to 2014 were purely down to Sod and Cotterill. Ashton had nothing to do with anything good. 

Please don’t believe everything that the club put out to the press. I know for an absolute fact that he was here during the period mentioned above. Trust me. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Please don’t believe everything that the club put out to the press. I know for an absolute fact that he was here during the period mentioned above. Trust me. 

you mean he wasn’t here during 2014.

rumour has it that he was back in December 2015 working on ousting Cotts?

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No - read @Harry‘s earlier response. 

I have given him credit for the money we’ve gained from selling the biggies but he had nothing to do with 2014, either in person, over the phone, via web collaboration nor was his system used. 

Cotts relied on old school methods and Cotts also ignored some of the scouts (to his detriment) who identified other players who’ve done even better than the crop of 2014.

I'm afraid I'll still believe what SL says over anyone on this forum. If he was here during the McInnes reign and performed so badly he wouldn't have been taken on again, it doesn't make sense

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Sure, but USL isn't one division, it is a set of leagues, like I said, pretty sure USL League One and USL League Two as they are now called (and which the event MA has gone to seems to be promoting) are semi-pro, as with most football at "Division III" level in the US pyramid (where MLS is "Division I" level and USL Championship is "Division II" level).

I don't doubt the quality and professionalism you've seen examples of at USL Championship level, and one thing US sports "franchises" do well is organisation so that should not be a surprise, but I maintain that the overall standard even at USL's top level isn't the best from football I've seen, except for teams preparing for MLS or acting as an MLS B team.

This is also reflected in the origins of the non-US players at that level - either released from youth systems in the UK/Europe after several attempts to make it, or transferring after spells at increasingly lower division teams including into semi-pro level (sixth tier UK or beyond). Plucked these names direct from a list of the best English players at that level:

As an aside, I just took a look at St. Louis, who you mentioned you knew someone at, and see that Tony Pulis' son is the manager...! 

If his football is like his father it may be why my acquaintance left.

I have no doubt USL teams would be too good v Bristol Manor Farm, Chippenham and Bath, and competitive v lower level English pro clubs .. My point was USL certainly is not relative to non league and park football. Gates, set ups and players are relative to England's lower professional leagues. 

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

you mean he wasn’t here during 2014.

rumour has it that he was back in December 2015 working on ousting Cotts?

Yep. He was here in 2012. Definitely not 2014. 

And yes, he was back in with SL just prior to SC’s departure. He left Oxford in Dec and was immediately ‘consulted’ again by SL, although he wasn’t officially announced as being on board again until mid Jan. 

14 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I'm afraid I'll still believe what SL says over anyone on this forum. If he was here during the McInnes reign and performed so badly he wouldn't have been taken on again, it doesn't make sense

No probs mate. You are free to believe what you want. That’s cool. 

But I’m telling you 100% that he was here summer 12 and not summer 14. As Davefevs says earlier, both DMC and SOD didn’t like him. He was nothing to do with the Cotterill era. 

I know this because I also had ‘consultations’ with Mr Ashton at that time and I knew the exact reasons he was there. 

By the way, the system he was working on was quite simple. It was to purchase Scout7. It wasn’t something he was inventing. It was off the shelf. Just needed paying for. And it wasn’t utilised to purchase any of the summer 14 recruits. Again - I know this. As I was close to Keith Burt. 

On 05/12/2018 at 22:25, YorksRed said:

It’s an interesting one.  I’m no fan of his.

However, on the other hand, £15m for Kodjia, £10m for Bobby (or whatever it was) and £7m for Joe when we had Lloyd coming through does look like pretty good business now?

I think to be fair, the players you mention sold themselves without too much sales chatter from Mr Ashton :whistle2:

4 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Bitterwell Lake mate, there's probably a decent player or two out that way but no doubt we'll end up netting some useless sod from Chipping Sodbury.  

Bitterwell Lake , now there's a blast from the past, I used to cycle out to that lake from Filton as a kid in the early 60's & spend hours fishing there before my days of supporting City. I then moved to Oz but have great memories of being out there, does the lake still exist ?:robbored:

4 minutes ago, bpexile said:

Bitterwell Lake , now there's a blast from the past, I used to cycle out to that lake from Filton as a kid in the early 60's & spend hours fishing there before my days of supporting City. I then moved to Oz but have great memories of being out there, does the lake still exist ?:robbored:

http://www.bitterwellfishery.co.uk/ 

Yep, it's still there cobber.. :)  

(bet some fellas are still 'catchin "em, kissin' 'em putting 'em back' Rex Hunt style :thumbsup:)  

On 05/12/2018 at 16:58, Harry said:

Yep. He was here in 2012. Definitely not 2014. 

And yes, he was back in with SL just prior to SC’s departure. He left Oxford in Dec and was immediately ‘consulted’ again by SL, although he wasn’t officially announced as being on board again until mid Jan. 

No probs mate. You are free to believe what you want. That’s cool. 

But I’m telling you 100% that he was here summer 12 and not summer 14. As Davefevs says earlier, both DMC and SOD didn’t like him. He was nothing to do with the Cotterill era. 

I know this because I also had ‘consultations’ with Mr Ashton at that time and I knew the exact reasons he was there. 

By the way, the system he was working on was quite simple. It was to purchase Scout7. It wasn’t something he was inventing. It was off the shelf. Just needed paying for. And it wasn’t utilised to purchase any of the summer 14 recruits. Again - I know this. As I was close to Keith Burt. 

It begs the question, why on earth did they get him back?

On 05/12/2018 at 11:55, YorksRed said:

It’s an interesting one.  I’m no fan of his.

However, on the other hand, £15m for Kodjia, £10m for Bobby (or whatever it was) and £7m for Joe when we had Lloyd coming through does look like pretty good business now?

And Lloyd being scouted by Liverpool 

2 minutes ago, Warwickshire Red said:

Perhaps he should be left to negotiate contracts but not to head or be involved with recruitment. Leave that to DOF?

And the appropriate paycut that goes with the diminished (over-inflated in the first place) role.

I still don’t know how he went from COO to CEO - what changed in his role?

I’ve long said exactly what you say....get a Football man in as DOF and key MA concentrate on the business stuff.

Archived