IGNORED

Dear SL and LJ

Cannybluff

I know we are getting record attendances in this league for us. I also understand that our brand of football last season meant that we sold 4 players... 2 to the premier league... 1 to a Russian champions league team... another to a top championship team. I would though like to see instant results. If you can't ensure that:

1. The brand of football matches is that of man city... and by the way I don't expect us to be top, mid table is progress, but info expect us to dance around teams as if they arent there again.

2. You can't get our record signing scoring goals regularly

3. You can't guarantee that our younger players are suddenly going to break all known barriers and be good enough for the premier league's top 4 within a year or so of them playing for us.

4. I understand that we are losing significant amounts of money. And you are funding it, however just go for it to get top players, even those that have no interest in coming. You need to risk more as it will get us promoted.

5. Blah... Mark Ashton... Blah... Twitter etc... 

Then you sir should hang your head in shame, pop into a large Bentley and take all of those who are 'trying' to improve our club with you. In the meantime i will boo anyone who is having a bad game... etc... 

Disgruntled of OTIB

5 hours ago, Cannybluff said:

I know we are getting record attendances in this league for us. I also understand that our brand of football last season meant that we sold 4 players... 2 to the premier league... 1 to a Russian champions league team... another to a top championship team. I would though like to see instant results. If you can't ensure that:

1. The brand of football matches is that of man city... and by the way I don't expect us to be top, mid table is progress, but info expect us to dance around teams as if they arent there again.

3. You can't guarantee that our younger players are suddenly going to break all known barriers and be good enough for the premier league's top 4 within a year or so of them playing for us.

4. I understand that we are losing significant amounts of money. And you are funding it, however just go for it to get top players, even those that have no interest in coming. You need to risk more as it will get us promoted.

Then you sir should hang your head in shame, pop into a large Bentley and take all of those who are 'trying' to improve our club with you. In the meantime i will boo anyone who is having a bad game... etc... 

Disgruntled of OTIB

and surely it's about time for another great OTIB IN/OUT poll? It seems to have worked well for the UK .

4 hours ago, DaveF said:

What’s this shit?

You should recognise it. It’s like many, many other threads on here..! 

As you seem confused, I’ll just clarify for you. It’s taking the piss out of many of those posters and not actually having a dig at the club. I know that will disappoint a few..! 

20 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

You should recognise it. It’s like many, many other threads on here..! 

As you seem confused, I’ll just clarify for you. It’s taking the piss out of many of those posters and not actually having a dig at the club. I know that will disappoint a few..! 

It makes me laugh, honestly, it's like people are expected to be happy with a manager who doesn't know what his best team is, doesn't know how to get the best out of his own players he signed and thinks a week of crossing practice is going to change our lack of creativity...

6 hours ago, Cannybluff said:

Disgruntled of OTIB

Are you ok?

26 minutes ago, Spike said:

It makes me laugh, honestly, it's like people are expected to be happy with a manager who doesn't know what his best team is, doesn't know how to get the best out of his own players he signed and thinks a week of crossing practice is going to change our lack of creativity...

I found the piss take thread on LJ’s crossing comments very amusing, but would you prefer he didn’t put extra emphasis on this while we are struggling creatively. 

We are definitely having a bad patch, but what can he do other than work on it..?!

I'm guessing the original post was by someone on the piss last night, otherwise why else post at 0230?

I always wondered if this kind of posts are genuine, reason I ask I find it odd these people never post about anything else then all of a sudden this kind of thing gets posted. 

We now in the past Bristol sport have asked their staff to retweet and also reply positively to tweets, would put nothing past some of them

The other thing, when Vincent Tan was messing around with things at Cardiff, many people said we'd never let that happen here well the original person is exactly the type of supporter that sits back and let's people get away with nonsense 

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

I'm guessing the original post was by someone on the piss last night, otherwise why else post at 0230?

I always wondered if this kind of posts are genuine, reason I ask I find it odd these people never post about anything else then all of a sudden this kind of thing gets posted. 

We now in the past Bristol sport have asked their staff to retweet and also reply positively to tweets, would put nothing past some of them

The other thing, when Vincent Tan was messing around with things at Cardiff, many people said we'd never let that happen here well the original person is exactly the type of supporter that sits back and let's people get away with nonsense 

What do you class as nonsense..? Not winning enough..? That’s just football in a tough division. 

6 hours ago, Cannybluff said:

Disgruntled of OTIB

This would be absolutely fine, I wouldn't have a problem with it (well, the record attendances for this league; and the player sold to the Russian CL club wasn't much wanted by the h/c anyway, was he? ..... but anyway) if it were not for SL's "now we need to......get in the top six and vie for promotion at the end of the season" comment last May, and pretty much everything LJ has said in his more chipper moments (ie, when we are not on long winless runs), such as his "Europa League" and "we call ourselves a Premier League club in training," and his many other super-confident projections since Feb '16.

None of those comments ever included a "but we might need a bang average year (with weeks of uninspired, dreary football) sometimes due to player sales" back then. It was never "it will be two steps foward, and sometimes one step back," it was all "make Bristol proud" and "the sky's the limit." And selling our best players was always part of the new philosophy, one of the pillars, an essential part of the new financial prudence, a way to fund the march forward and upward. And Lee knew this, he signed up to it.

With Lee, we were reassured he was "highly thought of" and forward thinking and all 21st century sophisticated (unlike that 20th century dinosaur Cotterill) with his drones and sh1t, no-one at the club suggested for a moment he might be as yet unproven, limited in what he can achieve, not a magician; no-one at the club in Feb'16 was shouting from the rooftops "Lee will have us 14th in this division, pretty much where we should be, and playing wingers who will sling countless crosses into the box (I think Cotterill could've served this sort of thing up. Or, indeed, Warnock) where our record signing will be, er, waiting and getting bullied by the opposition's centre backs." 

So, you see, there is a bit of a gap between what is said and what actually happens, what is done. Between what is talked about and promised, and what is in reality delivered, what we see with our own eyes before us on match day.   And in that gap, people will find grist to their mill, their "agenda" but also their legitimate questions and criticisms too. 

Unless you are of the opinion that the top people at the club in their official capacity can just toss out stuff like "Europa League," "PL club in training," "get in the top six" and when we look a fair way off that, or it is a million miles from happening, well, it doesn't matter, he didn't mean it like that, he was joking, he would say that wouldn't he? In other words, you are of the opinion that from the top we are not a serious football club. Not to be taken seriously. Well, then it's only words. We go on. To the next empty words.

That painful Warnock jibe "he talks a good game" could apply to the whole club at times (certainly, the official comments and statements) and sat there Sunday, hard to disagree with. 

Time to speak honestly and realistically, not just when we are struggling to win (and people accuse you of making excuses), but all the time, including in the summer, and also when people are considering renewing season tickets. We might lose some of them, but we become more genuine and serious as a club. This can help the players have the correct and necessary mentality for what they are doing, and up against. 

We are not a PL club in training, anymore than we are a Championship club with a L1 landmine somewhere too close for comfort; we are up against it, a small to medium size fish in a big, big pond full of bloody sharks. And only a magician of a head coach and/or some outrageous good fortune (in recruitment, in .... lots of things) will ever see us promoted from this division. Probably.

And Lee is not a magician. There is a limit to what he can do. 

Blah .... blah

I don't remember those quotes... I remember SL saying he wanted progress... from last season's finish. I remember the Europa league quote... it was a tad tongue in cheek because LJ was asked where he wanted the club to be in 4 years time... he wanted to get promoted then push on... do we blame him for that? Would we rather he said a decent championship club challenging for the play offs? 

When he said about premier league club in training he was talking about we can match them for fitness and effort even if we are behind them technically. He wants us to be the best we can in every aspect. He knows we aren't but that's what he wants. I know we rollout eyes when he says all this stuff but he is answering the question of what he wants.

And you're right about the striking options. I have no idea how much diedhiou is going to improve but at the moment he doesn't seem up to the task. I imagine that's the reason he's been dropped lately. And I imagine LJ is in the market for a more mobile and effective target man

On 06/12/2018 at 08:03, Spike said:

The best Crossing Coach that I've known was called David Prowse. If anyone knows his current whereabout, please let LJ know.

It's just this fixed mindset... a couple of bad performances and it's panic... it's so frustrating... I challenge anyone to go and watch a team who in the championship rocks up, always plays flowing football with a young team. 

If those of you who hang on to quotes from interviews without realising the context are going to continually bang on about us not meeting any expectation then we are in trouble. Do you expect them to come out and say... we've sold our best players, our football might not be as good as a result, we will keep trying to bring through our younger players and pray fammy hits form. If not then we will lie mid table?

On 06/12/2018 at 08:31, Bar BS3 said:

I found the piss take thread on LJ’s crossing comments very amusing, but would you prefer he didn’t put extra emphasis on this while we are struggling creatively. 

We are definitely having a bad patch, but what can he do other than work on it..?!

Nothing, but at what point does a guy trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole actually get told "ok, maybe you're not the man for this job"?

Archived