IGNORED

Birmingham City - Sat (A) - What Can We Expect?

Davefevs

After a bit of a break, I thought I would bring it back.

The Opposition:

Doing nicely in the top half, 4 points ahead of us and 4 points off the play-offs, against most people’s expectation of a long hard struggle under the imposed constraints of FFP.  Having said that, the transfer embargo was a bit after the horse (Harry Redknapp’s plethora of signing at the start of last season) had bolted.  Whether we will see further sanctions will depend on Match’s predictive set of accounts...and whether they are made an example of.

How Do They Play:

This is a relatively safe prediction that they will play 442, they have every game this season.  They do play a fair bit of direct football, but also like their wide men to be influential.  One holding midfielder, one more traditional but not a Dack-type.

C923DDD4-424D-4C84-952F-D4E276768508.jpeg.480f0f283d40cc15a8d3a91a97d9fb5e.jpeg

The Players:

GK: Lee Camp - well travelled and experienced keeper at this level, prone to having worldy’s against us, but prone to the odd calamity too.

RB: Maxime Colin - ex-Brentford full-back who is a very accomplished RB, with European competition in Belgium and his native France.  Likes to get forwardand technically decent.

LB:  Kristian Pederson - ex-UnionJ boyband singer - sorry ex-Union Berlin fullback whose transfer create the FFP sanctions earlier this season. Not seen him play to form any opinion.

CBs: Harlee Dean - another ex-Brentford player, and a very good defender at this level.  Not prone to a bit of controversy at Ashton Gate (Freeman’s Hong-Kong Phooy mock to his head in 15/16, and Diedhiou’s dripping sweat issue last season) but a good foil for his partner Michael Morrison - the ex-Charlton defender, who is your regulation ball winning CB at this level.  Dean often the man to drop-off and cover around the back.

RW: Jota - Spanish and another ex-Brentford player.  Tricky opponent on his day, but Latin temperament who can blow hot and cold.  Likes to come inside onto left peg.  Has been injured, so Mahoney May play again.

LW: Jacques Maghoma - ex-Burton and Wednesday who plays left but is predominantly right footed.  Always looked the part against us, and someone I always thought might be a good acquisition for us.  Rarely seen him have a bad game, and can pop up with a goal

CMs: Maikel Kieftenbeld - Dutch but not a Flying Dutchman.  Their equivalent of Korey Smith, and plays a key role in breaking up play and distributing simply.  Good player, and a good partner for either of the Gardner Brothers (isn’t that a store down town?) Gary or Craig.  Craig the Prem pedigree and the older bruv at 32, Gary, decent career at this level and 26.  Both are similar players, bit more box to box, and both possess a good long range shot.  With MK sat holding either can get into advanced positions around the box to get shots off.

ST: Lucas Jutkiewicz - journeyman target man, with good technique enjoying his best season, having never really hit the heights.  10 goals this season and works his socks off.  The crown jewel for Brum is Che Adams (Dangerman).  Quick, Strong, Bit of Skill, can come short, go wide, but a big threat in behind...just ask Aden Flint!  9 goals this season for the ex-Sheffield United man, who is I could sign a striker, would be this man.  You kinda get Diedhiou and Reid rolled into one.

Other notible players - Marc Roberts, Ex-Barnsley CB, for whom the move last season hasn’t worked out.  David Davis - see dripping sweat reference above.  May play RM.  Isaac Vassell, quick striker, who hadn’t really made the grade since arrival.

How do we win:

3 main areas for me on this one.

1. Fire up the Fam - if ever there was a game for Famara to put himself about and use that bulk to good effect it’s tomorrow v Brum.  A chance to make Davis and Dean pay for him missing 6 games at the start of the season.  If I were LJ I would be telling Fam to play hard tomorrow, make Morrison and Dean know he’s around.
  2. Kelly v Jota - if Jota plays, then Lloyd coming out on top will have a big impact on getting us forward and continuing the promising signs of the Kelly / Eliasson left side.  If Davis plays, then he’s unlikely to hurt Lloyd in behind so he can continue to get forward.
  3. How do we play Che Adams - I usually think high line is our best plan, but not so sure tomorrow.  The one thing we can’t do is allow their midfield to get their heads-up and have time to pick a pass and put Che away.  I do think Brownhill might need to think a bit more carefully about breaking the lines when we haven’t got clean possession.  Lots to think about on this one.

Definitely a chance to bring something back home tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

After a bit of a break, I thought I would bring it back.

The Opposition:

Doing nicely in the top half, 4 points ahead of us and 4 points off the play-offs, against most people’s expectation of a long hard struggle under the imposed constraints of FFP.  Having said that, the transfer embargo was a bit after the horse (Harry Redknapp’s plethora of signing at the start of last season) had bolted.  Whether we will see further sanctions will depend on Match’s predictive set of accounts...and whether they are made an example of.

How Do They Play:

This is a relatively safe prediction that they will play 442, they have every game this season.  They do play a fair bit of direct football, but also like their wide men to be influential.  One holding midfielder, one more traditional but not a Dack-type.

C923DDD4-424D-4C84-952F-D4E276768508.jpeg.480f0f283d40cc15a8d3a91a97d9fb5e.jpeg

The Players:

GK: Lee Camp - well travelled and experienced keeper at this level, prone to having worldy’s against us, but prone to the odd calamity too.

RB: Maxime Colin - ex-Brentford full-back who is a very accomplished RB, with European competition in Belgium and his native France.  Likes to get forwardand technically decent.

LB:  Kristian Pederson - ex-UnionJ boyband singer - sorry ex-Union Berlin fullback whose transfer create the FFP sanctions earlier this season. Not seen him play to form any opinion.

CBs: Harlee Dean - another ex-Brentford player, and a very good defender at this level.  Not prone to a bit of controversy at Ashton Gate (Freeman’s Hong-Kong Phooy mock to his head in 15/16, and Diedhiou’s dripping sweat issue last season) but a good foil for his partner Michael Morrison - the ex-Charlton defender, who is your regulation ball winning CB at this level.  Dean often the man to drop-off and cover around the back.

RW: Jota - Spanish and another ex-Brentford player.  Tricky opponent on his day, but Latin temperament who can blow hot and cold.  Likes to come inside onto left peg.  Has been injured, so Mahoney May play again.

LW: Jacques Maghoma - ex-Burton and Wednesday who plays left but is predominantly right footed.  Always looked the part against us, and someone I always thought might be a good acquisition for us.  Rarely seen him have a bad game, and can pop up with a goal

CMs: Maikel Kieftenbeld - Dutch but not a Flying Dutchman.  Their equivalent of Korey Smith, and plays a key role in breaking up play and distributing simply.  Good player, and a good partner for either of the Gardner Brothers (isn’t that a store down town?) Gary or Craig.  Craig the Prem pedigree and the older bruv at 32, Gary, decent career at this level and 26.  Both are similar players, bit more box to box, and both possess a good long range shot.  With MK sat holding either can get into advanced positions around the box to get shots off.

ST: Lucas Jutkiewicz - journeyman target man, with good technique enjoying his best season, having never really hit the heights.  10 goals this season and works his socks off.  The crown jewel for Brum is Che Adams (Dangerman).  Quick, Strong, Bit of Skill, can come short, go wide, but a big threat in behind...just ask Aden Flint!  9 goals this season for the ex-Sheffield United man, who is I could sign a striker, would be this man.  You kinda get Diedhiou and Reid rolled into one.

Other notible players - Marc Roberts, Ex-Barnsley CB, for whom the move last season hasn’t worked out.  David Davis - see dripping sweat reference above.  May play RM.  Isaac Vassell, quick striker, who hadn’t really made the grade since arrival.

How do we win:

3 main areas for me on this one.

1. Fire up the Fam - if ever there was a game for Famara to put himself about and use that bulk to good effect it’s tomorrow v Brum.  A chance to make Davis and Dean pay for him missing 6 games at the start of the season.  If I were LJ I would be telling Fam to play hard tomorrow, make Morrison and Dean know he’s around.
  2. Kelly v Jota - if Jota plays, then Lloyd coming out on top will have a big impact on getting us forward and continuing the promising signs of the Kelly / Eliasson left side.  If Davis plays, then he’s unlikely to hurt Lloyd in behind so he can continue to get forward.
  3. How do we play Che Adams - I usually think high line is our best plan, but not so sure tomorrow.  The one thing we can’t do is allow their midfield to get their heads-up and have time to pick a pass and put Che away.  I do think Brownhill might need to think a bit more carefully about breaking the lines when we haven’t got clean possession.  Lots to think about on this one.

Definitely a chance to bring something back home tomorrow.

I think your comments about Fam are spot on, Johnson has to have a quiet word in his ear but also tell him to be physical but play it cool. He’ll be targeted by Dean & Morrison 

2 minutes ago, daored said:

I think your comments about Fam are spot on, Johnson has to have a quiet word in his ear but also tell him to be physical but play it cool. He’ll be targeted by Dean & Morrison 

Yes, that is the flip-side, making sure he doesn’t get wound-up.

We bloody owe Birmingham one though!

On our day we can beat anyone in this division.

Unfortunately, at the moment our day is a Thursday.

Nice to see the previews, summary of the opposition back Dave- always a good read!

As for tomorrow,I still think a game like this, ceding possession will negate them a bit offensively, and enable us to spring them on the break, turn them around a bit.

It's counterintuitive and not in line with my usual ideal gameplan, but we're talking short term they aren't used to having to take the initiative. Plus us being away side means we have more excuse- as home side if we sprung quick breaks on them reckon their crowd would get restless and we could capitalise.

Given they aren't a possession first side, and the above first goal will be crucial- if we get it then play smart they will have big problems IMO.

Hey it’s friday night, the young guns are thinking we should be out on the pull tonight, knowing that in the morning the gaffer will have changed everything around, training means nothing, the ones who performed well (knowing the gaffer loves them) will prove to be pussies when the action starts, it’s ok not to have the guts to get stuck in if you are IN!

I would love to be proved wrong, I love my club but LJ makes it impossible to be consistent, in any other field of employment he would be in trouble - which way up should the tea bag be?

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Er Odd !  Should this not be the case every time he crosses the line on match days?

12 hours ago, dave36 said:

Hey it’s friday night, the young guns are thinking we should be out on the pull tonight, knowing that in the morning the gaffer will have changed everything around, training means nothing, the ones who performed well (knowing the gaffer loves them) will prove to be pussies when the action starts, it’s ok not to have the guts to get stuck in if you are IN!

I would love to be proved wrong, I love my club but LJ makes it impossible to be consistent, in any other field of employment he would be in trouble - which way up should the tea bag be?

Tea bag ? No class .

Johnson Out 

:protest:

18 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Thanks Dave, our 90 minutes a week may not be the best but the @Davefevs prematch and the @Olé post match are quality. 

If promotion was determined by the quality of a club's fans forum, we would have been in the prem years ago.

Archived