IGNORED

Birmingham City v Bristol City Match Day Thread 21

Septic Peg

8 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Well if a couple of toothless performances makes that happen then maybe they aren’t cut out to be a football supporter?

A couple?? Have you been in a coma for a year?

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I hope Johnson doesn't get frustrated by our lack of creatiing chances and go too attacking. The longer it stays 0-0 then more positive I am, as I am hoping O'Dowda can make a big impact off the bench.

Fair shout, page loaded on this as it was when I last viewed the forum. O’Dowda got the assist didn’t he?

An ugly win for sure, but three points are three precious points. And to be honest, Brum weren’t any better. They weren’t robbed.

6 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Fair shout, page loaded on this as it was when I last viewed the forum. O’Dowda got the assist didn’t he?

Took the corner, yes.

11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Thinking about it, it is a strange one.
I really think the football is shockingly poor, and yet 7 points is brilliant. Now during our record breaking run, people got angry but I don't remember many , if any , saying they'd lost interest. During that run, we scored goals and made chances, and conceded shitloads. Those games at Derby,Newcastle etc, but we were in a strange way better to watch. I thin the fact we could score goals gave everyone optimism, and we could be expected to score. Currently we struggle to get shots on goal, Ipswich apart , and the passing, movement and all round football is very poor.

I've been going down for getting on 50 years, been to over 100 grounds with City and yet I missed last weeks game. I could have got back if I really pushed it but having been away at a wedding I couldn't be arsed to make the extra effort. Obviously not a true fan.
I never used to be able to understand why people stayed away, there are plenty of reasons. A mate has stopped going, he's a STH and went home and away for years, he's pissed off with what has been dished up this season, he'll be back no doubt. 
Seriously though, result apart, no one can be enjoying watching this.

Brilliant post mate,I watched it and it was bloody dire.Defensively sound but the football on show was terrible,Still 3 points is a great return.

1 minute ago, RedM said:

An ugly win for sure, but three points are three precious points. And to be honest, Brum weren’t any better. They weren’t robbed.

Only real effort they had of note came off post. Solid defensive display / as said elsewhere I’d like to see us have more flair and carry more of a threat though. 

7 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Maybe not, but enough penalty appeals and the ref. usually succumbs eventually.

I thought he did the opposite. Many Refs would have given the Webster one but as they had been diving and appealing all afternoon they were waved away.

10 minutes ago, wood_red said:

Plenty of fans didn't want Johnson, but we all knew he wasn't going anywhere and I would say most fans haven't took his playing days into consideration.

My opinion is he has been given plenty of time, and plenty of funds. 12 months ago we were playing some excellent slick one touch passing football - which was entertaining and got us some excellent coverage as a club. We are now playing some terrible stuff that is boring and predictable regardless of results. What is the future plans? Is it hoof ball? Are we suddenly going to go back and try to play passing football? If Johnson hasn't got his "identity" on the way he wants the team to play by now when will he?? People lose interest because there is no entertainment and it isn't enjoyable.

We have an identity, LJ keeps telling us. Im buggered if i know what it is though!!:grr:

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Only real effort they had of note came off post. Solid defensive display / as said elsewhere I’d like to see us have more flair and carry more of a threat though. 

They had a little wobble where I thought they were getting deeper and deeper and not leaning from the Millwall game, and could see the same happening, but we got through that.

Look forward to reading the  full comments from those who attended as they arrive home,  I listened to it and  it seemed another 'turgid' numbing performance  but with the result we would all have snapped anyones arm off for  ! ?

The last 'decent performance' I saw was the Stoke second half.  Somehow LJ needs to find that 'play maker' from the middle of the park and some how to find a spark and create that spark in the opponents third of the pitch.   Without that I suspect our performances will remain 'flat'.

The January window will be interesting as LJ alluded to last weekend .  

2 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Another goal from the player some label as shocking and not fit for purpose despite a fine scoring record at this level. Enjoyable 

Bit of an enigma isn't he.

Technically he can look shite, he doesn't make many good runs across the box, rarely gets across a defender in the box, looks quite static at times, the ball bounces off him regularly, and he is knackered after 75 minutes.

Then he gets his head on the ball and its in the net, that was a very clever header today and not for the first time. 

I suppose its a case of if he's scoring all well and good, but if he isn't he is a passenger.

Just now, bcfc01 said:

Bit of an enigma isn't he.

Technically he can look shite, he doesn't make many good runs across the box, rarely gets across a defender in the box, looks quite static at times, the ball bounces off him regularly, and he is knackered after 75 minutes.

Then he gets his head on the ball and its in the net, that was a very clever header today and not for the first time. 

I suppose its a case of if he's scoring all well and good, but if he isn't he is a passenger.

He scores goals st this level / and would get more with good service. The crap he gets on here is just ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

He scores goals st this level / and would get more with good service. The crap he gets on here is just ridiculous. 

I can see why he has his critics, and I am one of them tbh.

He is static in the box, wants it to his feet or on his head rather than making runs across defenders or to the near post. 

But if he keeps scoring goals which make a difference to results then it will shut up his critics and I sincerely hope he does do that. Really good header today and worth three points.

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

I can see why he has his critics, and I am one of them tbh.

He is static in the box, wants it to his feet or on his head rather than making runs across defenders or to the near post. 

But if he keeps scoring goals which make a difference to results then it will shut up his critics and I sincerely hope he does do that. Really good header today and worth three points.

If he did what you asked he’d wouldn’t be at City. His record is almost 1 in 2 at this level which is much better than your average striker. 

And that’s having 2 injuries as well thrown in. 

51 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Same as results, the quality of football fluctuates throughout the season. Just think people are too quick to lose interest and if they do now then they clearly haven’t experienced the SOD/MCinnes/Osman days so must be new fans that are extremely naive/fickle?

Or are possibly fed up continually spending a substantial amount of money watching sub standard football,  over too many years? Personally, around 30 plus ?........ So please stop patronising supporters who have more than paid their dues, and have every right to criticise the ongoing mediocrity that is served up regularly.

Interesting reaction from the Brummies. Many of them posting along the lines of  OK it was a defeat, but on to the next game.

https://www.smallheathalliance.com/read.php?1,2598674,page=4

Just realised that's the end of our unbeaten home record. Shit day all round! But we'll come back.

Worst game I've seen from us. Absolutely disinterested from start to finish. Bristol done a job on us. Made it painfully ugly, put 11 men on each ball and won all the second balls.

Awful day to play football horrendous in 1st half. One to forget and move on, pity Juke didn`t put his chance inside the post tho, bad miss tbf.

30 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Or are possibly fed up continually spending a substantial amount of money watching sub standard football,  over too many years? Personally, around 30 plus ?........ So please stop patronising supporters who have more than paid their dues, and have every right to criticise the ongoing mediocrity that is served up regularly.

I don’t see it as ‘paying my dues’ it’s a passion that never leaves you. Can’t help feel that those fans losing interest are a little plastic and haven’t survived decades of pain and come out the other end stronger!

9 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

I don’t see it as ‘paying my dues’ it’s a passion that never leaves you. Can’t help feel that those fans losing interest are a little plastic and haven’t survived decades of pain and come out the other end stronger!

More complete tripe

Ive been going since 70/71 ......  48 years ....::will be interesting to see how many years , and how ‘ plastic’  , those getting fed up have been following .......

Anyone else like to volunteer ........

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

More complete tripe

Ive been going since 70/71 ......  48 years ....::will be interesting to see how many years , and how ‘ plastic’  , those getting fed up have been following .......

Anyone else like to volunteer ........

Fair enough. Early 90’s for me. Can I ask why you hadn’t had enough during all of the other turgid periods (pulis, osman, tinnion, SOD etc), or did you leave and come back? Genuine question 

17 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

You should stop reading pseudo psychology books, or is it The Sun?  Sometimes its better to say nothing, and appear foolish...............rather than speak, and remove all doubt?  ?

11 minutes ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

Fair enough. Early 90’s for me. Can I ask why you hadn’t had enough during all of the other turgid periods (pulis, osman, tinnion, SOD etc), or did you leave and come back? Genuine question 

Only time My attendance faltered was under SOD but that was a combination of factors

I gave what little I had in 82 to save the Club

I trailed to Carlisle and Hartlepool on a Tuesday night in 80s and was at Northampton when we hit 92nd

I also gave up thousands of hours coaching kids , schoolboys for the Club and helping with the Yourh side

im not plastic

My enjoyment of the match day experience has waned to a large degree duevto changes in the game and the whole sanitised match day experience so that has an effect as the years have ticked on, as I suggest it has for many - so we are less forgiving 

What I would say is that LJ has been provided the best opportunity of any City manager in my lifetime

Whether he is making use of that opportunity aided or hindered by others would be my debate 

If LJ is given funds for January, as he seems to have hinted may be made available, and he manages a rare feat of bringing in two superb, not good, but superb signings in the front line to aid Fammy and that long elusive creative midfielder we will have the team; THE team that can get us into the top six and seriously challenge for promotion.

The final caveat? : - If LJ has the nous to do the motivational, team selection and team formation bit.

Sounds like a tall order but that is the challenge.

In the meantime a little bit of honesty from him would be appreciated instead of the constant BS that City have their mojo back. And that honesty only needs him to say something like "we work hard, we try and we got a bit lucky and yes, I know our football is not that easy on the eye. Give us time and it will return" that is all Lee. 

15 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Only time My attendance faltered was under SOD but that was a combination of factors

I gave what little I had in 82 to save the Club

I trailed to Carlisle and Hartlepool on a Tuesday night in 80s and was at Northampton when we hit 92nd

I also gave up thousands of hours coaching kids , schoolboys for the Club and helping with the Yourh side

im not plastic

My enjoyment of the match day experience has waned to a large degree duevto changes in the game and the whole sanitised match day experience so that has an effect as the years have ticked on, as I suggest it has for many - so we are less forgiving 

What I would say is that LJ has been provided the best opportunity of any City manager in my lifetime

Whether he is making use of that opportunity aided or hindered by others would be my debate 

Ok thanks sounds like you have your reasons. I’m not sure LJ is underperforming as much as Is being stated-our wages are mid table and we are mid table! 

I do accept the point that he’s had 3 years now so should be progressing the team and playing style but I think injuries have hampered him and at least our defence is solid!

also take the point about the lack of style but it’s a tough league and I’m hoping that improves throughout the season as players click/we make signings.

Finally who would we realistically get in to replace Johnson and who could play good winning football on our budget? I’m not sure there are many out there? Jankovic would be good but it’s a risk (coppell) and would he even take the job anyway?

Archived