IGNORED

7 points from 3 games. Johnson Outers Must Be Devastated.

And Its Smith

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

We had a shot cleared off the line, so just from that 1 memory of the game and the goal we are at double the shots on target that you say.

Saw it again on the night and it looked off target, the one from Kalas? It's going across goal and from behind the goal cam, it looks like it might go wide or hit the post.

Just now, AppyDAZE said:

Around 0:40 from behind the goal. It's going wide? I think so

Ifs and buts, but would Webster have had a tap-in, had the defender not cleared it.

In terms of the the mini-run....I hope it turns into something bigger.

Having got back to mid-table, I would love to see us push on.  I don’t think performances have been great.  Even Brum wasn’t great.  @Shtanley who was it on the podcast who gave it 6/10 (integers only!)?  I was in agreement, although for context I thought Brum were 5/10 at best.  

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ifs and buts, but would Webster have had a tap-in, had the defender not cleared it.

In terms of the the mini-run....I hope it turns into something bigger.

Having got back to mid-table, I would love to see us push on.  I don’t think performances have been great.  Even Brum wasn’t great.  @Shtanley who was it on the podcast who gave it 6/10 (integers only!)?  I was in agreement, although for context I thought Brum were 5/10 at best.  

I gave it 7 or 8 and said it was extremely harsh to give it a 6.

11 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I gave it 7 or 8 and said it was extremely harsh to give it a 6.

6 is harsh for a 1-0 away win, but 6.5 is about right imho.  8/10 defence...5/10 attack.  No, I’m not following mathematical convention and rounding up!!

I haven’t listened for a while....I did chuckle several times.  Nice one!!

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

Around 0:40 from behind the goal. It's going wide? I think so. Shot OFF target

No, fair enough. That looks to be going wide.

49 minutes ago, Neo said:

Don’t let facts get in the way even if it was going wide and not on the line is irrelevant.

James is always right ?

Unnecessary dig there, it's not as if I created the phrase "goal line clearance" or that it is only ever used when a defender is literally on the goal line.

11 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Oh, another Johnson thread, can't wait to read the same old rubbish all over again.

Just to clarify, those that say they just want some consistency. You do realise that the whole point of the league is that if you're consistent, you're basically going to be top (or bottom dependant on the type of consistency).  Due the the fact we are inconsistent, means we are Mid-table.  Isn't that what everyone said they would be happy with? Anyway, we should obviously be storming this league with history against all these smaller clubs in the league.  

Badger08, I can't speak for everyone of course but I think most would accept mid table this season if the results and performances were more evenly spread out. Johnson teams do seem to go from the sublime to the ridiculous in my view, based upon the last few seasons.

25 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Oh, another Johnson thread, can't wait to read the same old rubbish all over again.

Just to clarify, those that say they just want some consistency. You do realise that the whole point of the league is that if you're consistent, you're basically going to be top (or bottom dependant on the type of consistency).  Due the fact we are inconsistent, means we are Mid-table.  Isn't that what everyone said they would be happy with? Anyway, we should obviously be storming this league with history against all these smaller clubs in the league.  

Yes your post is rubbish. All is a sweeping generalisation. I do not think I have seen one post that suggests Bristol City should be storming the league against all those little teams, that is hyperbole, rubbish. 

There are numerous logical balanced articulate posts questioning the performance level of the team and its tactical inconsistent approach in thread after thread. Its a different point to the muddled one you are making.

It is certainly possible to be very consistent, have a approach that is methodical, have players full of confidence, well motivated and suited to their roles and be mid table because that team and squad has reached the ceiling of its potential collectively … That is not Bristol City FC.

11 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Yes your post is rubbish. All is a sweeping generalisation. I do not think I have seen one post that suggests Bristol City should be storming the league against all those little teams, that is hyperbole, rubbish. 

There are numerous logical balanced articulate posts questioning the performance level of the team and its tactical inconsistent approach in thread after thread. Its a different point to the muddled one you are making.

It is certainly possible to be very consistent, have a approach that is methodical, have players full of confidence, well motivated and suited to their roles and be mid table because that team and squad has reached the ceiling of its potential collectively … That is not Bristol City FC.

I think you’re missing Badgers08 gist Cowshed......

11 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

You certainly talk a good game and make it sound very simple. Clearly implementing it is another thing otherwise everyone would be doing it, right? 

With all due respect to many logical balanced articulate posts on here - they’re all done on here for a reason......And they are done without the full information, facts, stats, and most often without full training, knowledge, experience and talent.

Back to the team. Personally, (putting approach and methodology of the manager asside) - I’m still unconvinced we have more than 3 or 4 players in the squad who are capable (certainly on current form, but not just form) of being a ‘top 6 team’ player in this league. 

So I actually think we are not far off our ceiling right now as a collective anyway.

2 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

You certainly talk a good game and make it sound very simple. Clearly implementing it is another thing otherwise everyone would be doing it, right? 

With all due respect to many logical balanced articulate posts on here - they’re all done on here for a reason......And they are done without the full information, facts, stats, and most often without full training, knowledge, experience and talent.

Back to the team. Personally, (putting approach and methodology of the manager asside) - I’m still unconvinced we have more than 3 or 4 players in the squad who are capable (certainly on current form, but not just form) of being a ‘top 6 team’ player in this league. 

So I actually think we are not far off our ceiling right now as a collective anyway.

What is it? 

Each football club is not the same. 

At Bristol City we are told there is a project and a strategy . Players are recruited with the right dna to fit the project. So the performances of the team, its tactical identity logically should be evident so far into Mr Johnsons tenure.

It is not …  Its Occam' razor time. Mark Ashton and lee Johnson are making it up.

56 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

No. The gist was in the first line. You can a take a view that the thread is 200+ posts of ill formed rubbish or not. 

So you dismissed the rest of the post as rubbish? 

Imv Badger08 is right - not another Lee Johnson thread..............:disapointed2se:

30 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

What is it? 

Each football club is not the same. 

At Bristol City we are told there is a project and a strategy . Players are recruited with the right dna to fit the project.

And that fit our budget....

So the performances of the team, its tactical identity logically should be evident so far into Mr Johnsons tenure.

Agreed. But I think we’ve seen LJ’s preferred style in the past. What we’ve ended up with is a change away from that, one that has developed along with the ever evolving Championship and the quality/depth of squad available to BCFC. I agree that the team has moved away from the ‘identity’ of late 2017 - but I also understand we have a developing manager who, like even the most experienced managers, won’t have all the answers. So mistakes have been made, changes implemented, perhaps a more pragmatic approach. I won’t talk tactics because I’m not qualified. 

It is not …  Its Occam' razor time. Mark Ashton and lee Johnson are making it up.

Now who is guilty of hyperbole? This is the problem you and other critics have - you talk a good game then expose yourself with ridiculous comments like this: I’m sorry, but you don’t sit where we sit in the 2018 Championship table if you “are making it up”. Especially not Bristol City and especially not when you work under the financial conditions our club does. 

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

And that fit our budget....

Agreed. But I think we’ve seen LJ’s preferred style in the past. What we’ve ended up with is a change away from that, one that has developed along with the ever evolving Championship and the quality/depth of squad available to BCFC. I agree that the team has moved away from the ‘identity’ of late 2017 - but I also understand we have a developing manager who, like even the most experienced managers, won’t have all the answers. So mistakes have been made, changes implemented, perhaps a more pragmatic approach. I won’t talk tactics because I’m not qualified. 

Now who is guilty of hyperbole? This is the problem you and other critics have - you talk a good game then expose yourself with ridiculous comments like this: I’m sorry, but you don’t sit where we sit in the 2018 Championship table if you “are making it up”. Especially not Bristol City and especially not when you work under the financial conditions our club does.  

And that budget should in the case of BCFC and its rhetoric should be working in unison with the playing style. Again I will ask what is it? What is the identity? What is the model of play? If there is no real foundation the budget can a hardly fit a morphing playing style. Bristol City are wasting millions of pounds because it does not buy players for the football it will play now and in future. That future game fundamentally should be methodically being worked towards now if there is an IT.

Your second paragraph. We've ending working away from that? Then there is no identity and certainly no long term vision being worked towards. Without wanting to be condescending a more pragmatic approach is having a identity/model of play that does not go through the tactical change of Mr Johnsons football. 

In regards to having a real tactical identity, a model of play, a system of system .. Various terms, but Mr Johnson is making it up. I have frequently asked posters what they think is Mr Johnson football model … Posters cannot articulate what it is. You do not have to be qualified tactical guru to be able to see concrete fundamentals in Cardiff, Fulham and Wolves last season. All three had obvious strong tactical identity. season long. Tactical identity with many coaches define them, it is what they do and what they believe in. Tactical identity is not necessarily defined by wealth, its core is intent and mindset.

You refer to the identity of late 2017 .. Its not an identity if it only last months. Questions there if there was a cohesive plan guiding that football … Its silly. Budgets, recruitment, pre season preparation, in season training are not planned for a few months.   

You may feel I talk a good game but the coaching terminology I use above is Lee Johnson own. I and others do understand what he is saying, and it is frequently uneven. There is a disconnect between playing style/s and recruitment. The financial conditions at Bristol City are not so considerable. Bristol City are in a position where millions can be wasted on players that will be barely seen, and change because Mr Lansdown can deal with the consequences.

Hyperbole no .. There is a serious degree of making it all up  … Identity of late 2017 is not the one of late 2018 …  

Blah blah blah....MA/LJ/SL identity bollocks yet again. God if I saw any of them in the street I swear I would tell them that bollocks has spawned a 1000 threads of utter nonsense as idiots try to make sense of utter nonsense...SEE BREXIT!

Our past identity is failure. Has been since 1911 with a four year blip that took us within minutes of closure. LJ and MA can use whatever sound bites they like, it amounts to what is on the pitch and that is distinctly average....Which is our current identity! Our future identity depends on two things results and how we achieve them. 

Nevertheless styles and trends change. When I was young we played 235. Then Hungary ****** us! We then realized we had to change and thus football has been through any amount of number games all adding up to ten, ring systems, sweepers, tica taca and any other amount of other bullshit....

The identity they want to achieve is still in progress that is ******* obvious, however are these two ever likely to achieve that holiest of grails (winning and unique-ish style of play) I’m not so sure as more of SLs money is about to get pissed up against the wall in January or we sell Lloyd Kelly!

42 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

And that budget should in the case of BCFC and its rhetoric should be working in unison with the playing style. Again I will ask what is it? What is the identity? What is the model of play? If there is no real foundation the budget can a hardly fit a morphing playing style. Bristol City are wasting millions of pounds because it does not buy players for the football it will play now and in future. That future game fundamentally should be methodically being worked towards now if there is an IT.

Your second paragraph. We've ending working away from that? Then there is no identity and certainly no long term vision being worked towards. Without wanting to be condescending a more pragmatic approach is having a identity/model of play that does not go through the much tactical change of Mr Johnsons football. 

In regards to having a real tactical identity, a model of play, a system of system .. Various terms, but Mr Johnson is making it up. I have frequently asked posters what they think is Mr Johnson football model … Posters cannot articulate what it is. You do not have to be qualified tactical guru to be able to see concrete fundamentals in Cardiff, Fulham and Wolves last season. All three had obvious strong tactical identity. season long. Tactical identity with many coaches define them, it is what they do and what they believe in. Tactical identity is not necessarily defined by wealth, its core is intent and mindset.

You refer to the identity of late 2017 .. Its not an identity if it only last months. Questions there if there was a cohesive plan guiding that football … Its silly. Budgets, recruitment, pre season preparation, in season training are not planned for a few months.   

You may feel I talk a good game but the coaching terminology I use above is Lee Johnson own. I and others do understand what he is saying, and it is frequently uneven. There is a disconnect between playing style/s and recruitment. The financial conditions at Bristol City are not so considerable. Bristol City are in a position where millions can be wasted on players that will be barely seen, and change because Mr Lansdown can deal with the consequences.

Hyperbole no .. There is a serious degree of making it all up  … Identity of late 2017 is not the one of late 2018 …  

OK i'll answer that, if you answer me two questions at the end - I believe what they want is a team of players comfortable on the ball, who can play out from the back, will have high energy levels and press when out of possession. For the most part we see that, what my unqualified eye see's then is a lack of urgency going forward, probably in most part due to a lack of penetration and attacking ability. Is that coaching or personnel? Both i'm sure. This 'identity' has stayed loosely, in theory, the same for LJ's time here. Pressing, possession football. Is it always achieved, clearly no - but is that surprising? It's football and it's an ever evolving work in progress.

I agree with what you're saying about finding a tactical identity - but of the three teams you mention, only Cardiff can fall into the argument you're trying to make. I.E you can have a football identity that leads to success, without wealth (and even then, just. Parachute payments) Perhaps Sheffield United and Brentford (under Dean Smith) are better examples. They all have a good manager in common. Fulham and Wolves however may have/had good managers, but they also had the money and connections to back up the tactical identity that not many teams in this division can boast. Plenty do boast similar resources and still fail year on year.

I find the comment about playing style vs recruitment interesting - you've spoken with a broad brush there. Which signed players go against the grain? In general we have signed players that fit the possession/high energy model. The only one in the first team who doesn't fit that might be Famara, but he seems to be able to when he fancies it. The rest of the signings this summer you can see exactly how, on paper, they should fit in. There have been the odd player, Djuric for example, that go against it, but is there any harm in having a few different instruments at your disposal in this league?

Obviously there have, and will be failed signings (see above, is that surprising? No it's football) but the "millions wasted" is rather over the top again perhaps. Only Engvall off the top of my head falls into that category, as of now. Unless you have a crystal ball and can see the likes of Walsh, Eisa, Adelakun being a failure here? And ultimately, it only takes one of them, Eliasson for example, to go for £10m and that pays for them all.

So two questions then. If they are making it up, how have they, up to now, delivered year on year progression in league position? And how are we sat 13th in the table? Because it is my strong belief that in this league, if you make it up, you get found out and found out quickly you will be and finding yourself even quicker in the bottom 3. And yet, despite making it up, one final question - how many days have we spent in the bottom 3 under LJ?

59 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

OK i'll answer that, if you answer me two questions at the end - I believe what they want is a team of players comfortable on the ball, who can play out from the back, will have high energy levels and press when out of possession. For the most part we see that, what my unqualified eye see's then is a lack of urgency going forward, probably in most part due to a lack of penetration and attacking ability. Is that coaching or personnel? Both i'm sure. This 'identity' has stayed loosely, in theory, the same for LJ's time here. Pressing, possession football. Is it always achieved, clearly no - but is that surprising? It's football and it's an ever evolving work in progress.

I agree with what you're saying about finding a tactical identity - but of the three teams you mention, only Cardiff can fall into the argument you're trying to make. I.E you can have a football identity that leads to success, without wealth (and even then, just. Parachute payments) Perhaps Sheffield United and Brentford (under Dean Smith) are better examples. They all have a good manager in common. Fulham and Wolves however may have/had good managers, but they also had the money and connections to back up the tactical identity that not many teams in this division can boast. Plenty do boast similar resources and still fail year on year.

I find the comment about playing style vs recruitment interesting - you've spoken with a broad brush there. Which signed players go against the grain? In general we have signed players that fit the possession/high energy model. The only one in the first team who doesn't fit that might be Famara, but he seems to be able to when he fancies it. The rest of the signings this summer you can see exactly how, on paper, they should fit in. There have been the odd player, Djuric for example, that go against it, but is there any harm in having a few different instruments at your disposal in this league?

Obviously there have, and will be failed signings (see above, is that surprising? No it's football) but the "millions wasted" is rather over the top again perhaps. Only Engvall off the top of my head falls into that category, as of now. Unless you have a crystal ball and can see the likes of Walsh, Eisa, Adelakun being a failure here? And ultimately, it only takes one of them, Eliasson for example, to go for £10m and that pays for them all.

So two questions then. If they are making it up, how have they, up to now, delivered year on year progression in league position? And how are we sat 13th in the table? Because it is my strong belief that in this league, if you make it up, you get found out and found out quickly you will be and finding yourself even quicker in the bottom 3. And yet, despite making it up, one final question - how many days have we spent in the bottom 3 under LJ?

That is more than two questions. 

Is that coaching or personnel? Both. Identity is not loose. Identity is driven by the Coach and sometimes the FC's playing philosophy.

Pressing, possession football. Is it always achieved, clearly no - but is that surprising? No because they are not defined fundamentals of BCFC's play.

There are methods of pressing. These actions combine with other actions. High pressing is very frequently working in unison with close passing styles. Bristol City counter, half press, counter press and screen as the team morph throughs styles and master . The fundamental of immediate pressure there is altering = Its not a identity, its muddled.

Possession football is a meaningless term without definition. Man City play possession football, so do Exeter or Brentford or Fulham and perhaps Bristol City although City last season only edged over 50% on average. An identity would define HOW that ball is moved, its principles. City go through Wingless, to Wingers, to long ball in months … 

Cardiff, Fulham and Wolves defined how they moved the ball and defended e.g Fulham attempted to monopolise possession and made an enormous amount of passes. Clear intent. 

In regards to your third paragraph what possession/high energy model? You are identifying that Famara does not fit. What possession based high energy model?  Define what it is? Its a vague notion .. Spudski wrote an interesting post regarding the ineffectual nature of Bristol City wing play x Famara. I agree with the point its ineffectual … Millions wasted there. 

The rest of the signings this summer you can see exactly how, on paper, they should fit in .. Webster (great signing) and Keeper apart they have not exactly fitted in. In Websters case I thought he was ideal, and is exactly the type of player BCFC should sign if the team intent was to play through the first third. A seriously well targetted signing to clear intent … the intent past the first third is ever changing 

is there any harm in having a few different instruments at your disposal in this league? Sorry but Bristol City have a lot of players, lost twenty four million pounds last season, operate vastly past operating costs, have no obvious tactical identity and you earlier appeared (I think) argued the club was under financial constraints. Yes there is harm in it. 

So two questions then. If they are making it up, how have they, up to now, delivered year on year progression in league position? Because people can define progress solely by points without looking at a wider context. A context is above. 

And yet, despite making it up, one final question - how many days have we spent in the bottom 3 under LJ who has the most resource committed to him of any Manager in thirty years? None. 

Identity and teams, it's interesting. I think it can be implemented quickly but not in every case.

Norwich last year seemed to be- were they slow possession, were they counterattacking? At AG last time they dominated the chances first half yet we had loads of possession- Maddison shone of course, but I think they were caught between 2 tactical ideas. Yet they worked on it, persevered and this season benefitting!

On the other hand, Leeds under Bielsa are and have been much improved this year. Yes they have a strong budget and yes they signed some players but fairly sure their most pricy (Bamford) injured for long spells.

He has surely improved players and brought a new style when set against their recent coaches, quite quickly at that!

Lastly, Derby under Lampard. Signed a few yes but they're 4-3-3 and quite sure some of their older players have a new lease of life they didn't seem to last year.

A new identity can be imposed quickly therefore, if a manager is clear in what they want but the speed it'll work at is a different matter as those 3 case studies show.

Mind you, LJ has been here longer than those 3 have at their clubs put together so he has less leeway IMO

43 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Identity and teams, it's interesting. I think it can be implemented quickly but not in every case.

Norwich last year seemed to be- were they slow possession, were they counterattacking? At AG last time they dominated the chances first half yet we had loads of possession- Maddison shone of course, but I think they were caught between 2 tactical ideas. Yet they worked on it, persevered and this season benefitting!

On the other hand, Leeds under Bielsa are and have been much improved this year. Yes they have a strong budget and yes they signed some players but fairly sure their most pricy (Bamford) injured for long spells.

He has surely improved players and brought a new style when set against their recent coaches, quite quickly at that!

Lastly, Derby under Lampard. Signed a few yes but they're 4-3-3 and quite sure some of their older players have a new lease of life they didn't seem to last year.

A new identity can be imposed quickly therefore, if a manager is clear in what they want but the speed it'll work at is a different matter as those 3 case studies show.

Mind you, LJ has been here longer than those 3 have at their clubs put together so he has less leeway IMO

Been far too many of those squad fillers at City for football that keeps altering. 

59 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

That is more than two questions. 

Is that coaching or personnel? Both. Identity is not loose. Identity is driven by the Coach and sometimes the FC's playing philosophy.

Pressing, possession football. Is it always achieved, clearly no - but is that surprising? No because they are not defined fundamentals of BCFC's play.

There are methods of pressing. These actions combine with other actions. High pressing is very frequently working in unison with close passing styles. Bristol City counter, half press, counter press and screen as the team morph throughs styles and master . The fundamental of immediate pressure there is altering = Its not a identity, its muddled.

Possession football is a meaningless term without definition. Man City play possession football, so do Exeter or Brentford or Fulham and perhaps Bristol City although City last season only edged over 50% on average. An identity would define HOW that ball is moved, its principles. City go through Wingless, to Wingers, to long ball in months … 

Cardiff, Fulham and Wolves defined how they moved the ball and defended e.g Fulham attempted to monopolise possession and made an enormous amount of passes. Clear intent. 

In regards to your third paragraph what possession/high energy model? You are identifying that Famara does not fit. What possession based high energy model?  Define what it is? Its a vague notion .. Spudski wrote an interesting post regarding the ineffectual nature of Bristol City wing play x Famara. I agree with the point its ineffectual … Millions wasted there. 

The rest of the signings this summer you can see exactly how, on paper, they should fit in .. Webster (great signing) and Keeper apart they have not exactly fitted in. In Websters case I thought he was ideal, and is exactly the type of player BCFC should sign if the team intent was to play through the first third. A seriously well targetted signing to clear intent … the intent past the first third is ever changing 

is there any harm in having a few different instruments at your disposal in this league? Sorry but Bristol City have a lot of players, lost twenty four million pounds last season, operate vastly past operating costs, have no obvious tactical identity and you earlier appeared (I think) argued the club was under financial constraints. Yes there is harm in it. 

So two questions then. If they are making it up, how have they, up to now, delivered year on year progression in league position? Because people can define progress solely by points without looking at a wider context. A context is above. 

And yet, despite making it up, one final question - how many days have we spent in the bottom 3 under LJ who has the most resource committed to him of any Manager in thirty years? None. 

Some posters need to learn how to be succinct....

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Some posters need to learn how to be succinct....

No. I will treat the post with the courtesy it deserves. The questions were not closed. 

In regards to playing identity the answers are succinct. Unless you want fine detail … I will if you please but in turn will ask about what's all this on the forum about you hiding in the bushes from Gary Johnson when you were Chairman of the SC. 

Archived