IGNORED

25 years

southvillekiddy

Since teams don't play each other every year, I've never understood "this many years since their last win here" etc.

It would be more appropriate instead "this was their first win here in ten attempts" etc. After all we never complain "It's four years since this athlete last won an Olympic medal".

4 hours ago, Spoonbed said:

Scott partridge or Nicky Morgan with our goals if I remember correctly. 

Cant believe that was a quarter of a century ago!

Nicky Morgan. I was there. 

If I remember correctly, it was the first game after Andy Cole had left..? 

7 hours ago, RumRed said:

@Chivs The cognitive reasoning behind the OP.

Our previous record against them is meaningless, this isn’t a ‘special’ victory just two lacklustre sides playing 90 minutes of football.

Not sure why it needed a new thread that’s all.

Not special, certainly, but their first home defeat since March, which deserves a bit more credit than it is getting perhaps.

I too get irritated though by commentators who say 'x haven't won at y since ...' Almost always completely meaningless.

Andy Cole had left for Newcastle a couple of days before. Living in London and in the days before the internet, I found out about the sale from other fans at the ground. 5 mins shock, doom and gloom, then the match, a good, surprise win (bit like yesterday), and all back in balance and proportion. Much as I love this forum, I kinda miss those days.

On 08/12/2018 at 18:09, RumRed said:

We’ve not won at Accrington Stanley since 1958, so 60 years.  

Struggling to understand the point.

We didn't win at Accrington Stanley in 1958. We drew an FA Cup tie there and won the replay at Ashton Gate.

The two matches were played in a borrowed strip from our near neighbours from Eastville.

We have never played a league match against Accrington Stanley. Unless they get promoted, I hope we never do.

On 08/12/2018 at 18:04, 22A said:

Since teams don't play each other every year, I've never understood "this many years since their last win here" etc.

It would be more appropriate instead "this was their first win here in ten attempts" etc. After all we never complain "It's four years since this athlete last won an Olympic medal".

Thing is mate, we cannot know what peripheral information there may be in the mind of someone like me who made the original post. Maybe I should have explained more ...............

I was at St Andrews on 16th september 2008 when we played a newly relegated Premiership team which included Kevin Phillips. ( That side went straight back up that season winning automatic promotion in second place) My memories of that match are principally of playing a vastly superior team and of Phillips battering our goal for what seemed like an eternity. As it happened Phillips did not score but we lost 2 - 1 which included a Louis Carey own goal. Can't remember who scored for us.

So to me the idea that we could draw let alone win there last saturday was very difficult to imagine. That's why it's significant to me that we have won there after 25 years.

On 09/12/2018 at 08:12, chinapig said:

Not special, certainly, but their first home defeat since March, which deserves a bit more credit than it is getting perhaps.

I too get irritated though by commentators who say 'x haven't won at y since ...' Almost always completely meaningless.

Yeah but you always find when you're having one of those runs, you end up losing to someone shit.

25 years and we are in almost exactly the same position now as we were then, scrapping a 1.0 win over a ropey birmingham side, suffering several relegations to the third tier, and several promotions back to the second, and with 2 decent cup victories over big clubs in that time. What a miserable existence!

Archived