IGNORED

Papering over the cracks part 2

old_eastender

So just like at Ipswich a surprising and barely deserved win, but very welcome 3 pts.

Offensively we were sh1t bar 2 or 3 moments of quality, including the in swinging corner from COD and, for once, a bit of movement from Fammy to get on the end of it.

Pato did little, mostly picking up the ball near the halfway line and simply playing it off, Wiemann was totally anonymous throughout, virtually every forward pass from Pack either went out of play or straight to a Brum player, Eliasson just could not get into the game. 

Luckily for us, Brum had an off day, the ref gave most decisions to us (bar the early undeserved yellow for Kelly), defensively we were sound (special call out for Pisano who looked so much better than Hunt). Maenpaa make a couple of good saves and when Brum hit the inside of the post the ball somehow bounces out.

It might be 7 pts from 3 games, but the last 3 'performances' have only strengthen my view that LJ has to go and the sooner the better. We won't get away with playing that poorly very often.

17 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

So just like at Ipswich a surprising and barely deserved win, but very welcome 3 pts.

Offensively we were sh1t bar 2 or 3 moments of quality, including the in swinging corner from COD and, for once, a bit of movement from Fammy to get on the end of it.

Pato did little, mostly picking up the ball near the halfway line and simply playing it off, Wiemann was totally anonymous throughout, virtually every forward pass from Pack either went out of play or straight to a Brum player, Eliasson just could not get into the game. 

Luckily for us, Brum had an off day, the ref gave most decisions to us (bar the early undeserved yellow for Kelly), defensively we were sound (special call out for Pisano who looked so much better than Hunt). Maenpaa make a couple of good saves and when Brum hit the inside of the post the ball somehow bounces out.

It might be 7 pts from 3 games, but the last 3 'performances' have only strengthen my view that LJ has to go and the sooner the better. We won't get away with playing that poorly very often.

Really- 5 points off play offs and comfortably mid table...seems a cut and dry argument to sack him.

get real

Honestly interested to know what some fans have seen in their crystal balls.

It’s half way through the season. We are where we expected (or well above where many expected) us to be.

5 points from the play offs.

11 points from the relegation zone.

Maybe it’s time for some people to take a big breath, step back and look at the bigger picture. 

I think OTIB has gone analysis mad, over analysising every last little thing. While at the same time ironically you’ve given yourself tunnel vision on LJ and the club and team.

Stop and take a look at the table. We are not where we are by accident half way through a season, not in this division.

I was totally different to the Ipswich game. We conceded soft goals in that one. Today we really limited them to one real moment of danger when they hit post. Defence looked organised and solid. 

If LJ can find a bit more flair and get back to the Swansea away performance then I’d be happy. Put Korey back in and add a striker to go along with Fammy then I can see us being top ten. 

2 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I was totally different to the Ipswich game. We conceded soft goals in that one. Today we really limited them to one real moment of danger when they hit post. Defence looked organised and solid. 

If LJ can find a bit more flair and get back to the Swansea away performance then I’d be happy. Put Korey back in and add a striker to go along with Fammy then I can see us being top ten. 

Thats what OWERS alluded to on radio Brizzle, he stated the defence did well and stood up.  He should know what he is talking about with all the pro games he has played. The other interesting point is that if you look at LJ comments  after the game on the OS he admits parts of our game are still poor and not right, the same things most of us here moan (and rightly so) about.  lack of shots, creating a spark in the final third.  Add that to last week comments it will be interesting January with the 'planned wheeler dealings' that have been hinted at !!  

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Another win

Clean sheet

Away from home

Opposition higher up the table that us

7 points from 9

First time we've beaten them at theirs since 1993? 

A Bristol City side under a lot of preasure/criticism from their own fans

Listen i'm not saying there aren't problems, but just enjoy the result tonight knowing it's more points further away from a Relegation scrap. You've got another 25 games to find something wrong.

2 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Thats what OWERS alluded to on radio Brizzle, he stated the defence did well and stood up.  He should know what he is talking about with all the pro games he has played. The other interesting point is that if you look at LJ comments  after the game on the OS he admits parts of our game are still poor and not right, the same things most of us here moan (and rightly so) about.  lack of shots, creating a spark in the final third.  Add that to last week comments it will be interesting January with the 'planned wheeler dealings' that have been hinted at !!  

Just listened to it on BBC RB and also watched the video.

Glad to hear LJ not getting carried away and not bigging up the performance, although happy for him to allude to the physical elements and his we coped.  Pisano a big part of that imho.

Bit perplexed by his quality possession comment, but I think he meant we got in the ball easily (Pack, Webster, Kalas), but a combination of poor options and poor passing meant the game never flowed for us.  I think that was what he meant by second phase stuff.

What is funny is this season has gone how I expected. We are even a bit more consistent this season. Of course we are streaky we are midtable. If we won and drew more often we’d all be suprised by our league position!

The frustrating thing is out attack is just completely gone. Then again pur defense is probably the best it has been in years for this level. 

Anyway I am not sure we are papering over cracks really. Maybe the points are flattering our performances but even when we win the cracks are visable. We have become harder to beat. Despite all the negativity in here(and I still think LJ has done all he can here and would welcome change) we are 5 points from playoffs. 11 points from botttom 3 and with 21 points over the last 25 matches would give us the generally safe 50 points. There should probably be a bit more positivity here but football is supposed to be entertainment and at home LJ has not provided thatso here we are

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bit perplexed by his quality possession comment, but I think he meant we got in the ball easily (Pack, Webster, Kalas), but a combination of poor options and poor passing meant the game never flowed for us.  I think that was what he meant by second phase stuff.

Well, the BBC stats give us 66% Brum 34%.  yet again we have so much of the ball, and to be fair  seem to do so little with it !   Repeated time and time again. 

Well, the BBC stats give us 66% Brum 34%.  yet again we have so much of the ball, and to be fair  seem to do so little with it !   Repeated time and time again. 

Be good to see the zones that possession was in.  Suspect a bit heat zone from half way line to 15 yards inside our own half and ten yards either side of centre circle.

15BABCC4-AAF4-497D-A806-F6AB079D1E58.jpeg

1 minute ago, DT The Optimist said:

Interestingly ( And I rarely check possession facts) at the forum LJ claimed that Hull ? Was the only game this season that we won whilst having more possession than the opps ( I don’t know whether this is true or not but someone will)

We've got to have more flair and turn that possession into more. Has to be the immediate challenge for LJ - especially at home.

40 minutes ago, hodge said:

Clearly not 

I would take a resolute performance that's not spectacular every week if it meant challenging at the top of the table

Shoukd we really expect champagne football when you compare our budget with the majority in this league?

I agree some of the football this season has been turgid and as a season ticket holder I am not exactly on the edge of my seat but with the current squad if we went for a more expansive approach we would come unstuck 

I can see the pattern of win a couple lose a couple and draw as a common theme this season with a mid table finish likely

5 minutes ago, Fatknacker said:

The voice of sanity!

And that is the point I've been making all week. LJ has done OK - nothing more, nothing less. The 'he must definitely go and he is a fraud' stuff is just not reasonable. If it was then we would have gone down the year he took over, or the year after...But no we have improved league position every year. I personally want to see us play more attractive football. However I wonder if we did, would we still be as good in defence? Probably not. So I can see the balance LJ is trying to get but he does need to make sure we create more.

9 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I would take a resolute performance that's not spectacular every week if it meant challenging at the top of the table

Shoukd we really expect champagne football when you compare our budget with the majority in this league?

I agree some of the football this season has been turgid and as a season ticket holder I am not exactly on the edge of my seat but with the current squad if we went for a more expansive approach we would come unstuck 

I can see the pattern of win a couple lose a couple and draw as a common theme this season with a mid table finish likely

Not champagne as such, maybe a decent bottle of red over the room temperature can of carling we get served currently. 

22 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Thanks

Pack:

2BDE2D46-0BA2-4EE1-991A-E2B994ABF324.thumb.jpeg.f15f80d30f9e532b4884ef860f6e9d61.jpeg

Brownhill:

604E9371-DB4A-4779-AFFB-1E8433C104FF.jpeg.9c850f2695854bbc50d450d7d16a7968.jpeg

Very interesting to see Brownhill with 40% less touches than Pack, but also his much ground he covers.  I’ve said on several occasions I don’t think he’s efficient with his running....runs too far for the touches he gets.  This kinda bears it out.

8 minutes ago, Cider red said:

From what I saw we deserved the win, controlled the game. Well done Lee. More of the same please. Unlike some it seems I am happy to be proven wrong.

Think most of us would like to be proven wrong. We all want the same thing , a team we can be proud of. It’s been said many a time that the footballs hard to watch at the moment but it’s not just that . Our signings are big bugbear of mine. We failed too many times with our recruitment and he’s wasted millions. The bigger picture imo is he’s not the right man to take us forward long term . If he proves me wrong then brilliant . 

Why do people always say we have a low budget.  A few teams with parachute payments maybe.  

But teams we have a bigger budget  and income from crowds than Brentford ,Rotherham , millwall hull , Preston ,Wigan  

then there are clubs in financial troubles or not far off.   Bolton   Hull , sheff weds ? Qpr   

The club one minute say we’re aiming for the prem   And the next say we can’t compete  despite being renowned good payers  , and having landsdown a rich man bankrolling the club   

28 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

That is interesting - we look defensive (as expected for an away team) and one sided.

Football is a results game and I like winning but I also like good football, I don't mind the shit football if it's leading to increased confidence and better football, basically I can stomach shit football for a bit but I can't deal with losing every week. 

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Archived