IGNORED

Only teams in the top six..

Hampshire Red

3 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

It is going to be interesting come SC renewal time how those numbers pan out - the lack of ambition and the dire quality of football, look likely to have a significant impact.

LJ has ability to produce some attractive football as we saw at the start of last season but now  I’m wondering in his dad is now ‘advising’ him, so drab has the football been.....

That said, the winter window will an interesting time with LJ saying that he’s looking to ‘trade’ and if he can get in the right players he’ll hopefully get back to playing some decent stuff again.

Personally I’d continue to get a SC regardless of what division City are in - I’m a fan of over 50 years and seen plenty of times when the quality of football has been of Downs League standard.......at least it not that bad.

11 hours ago, Robin101 said:

Yep, look at Fulham!

And Millwall, didn’t they end up just outside play offs? 

When Hull beat us in the play off final they were on a late charge as there quite often is. If we can reverse last seasons performance, and finish the way we started we could be a Fulham or Hull. 

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ has ability to produce some attractive football as we saw at the start of last season but now  I’m wondering in his dad is now ‘advising’ him, so drab has the football been.....

That said, the winter window will an interesting time with LJ saying that he’s looking to ‘trade’ and if he can get in the right players he’ll hopefully get back to playing some decent stuff again.

Personally I’d continue to get a SC regardless of what division City are in - I’m a fan of over 50 years and seen plenty of times when the quality of football has been of Downs League standard.......at least it not that bad.

I really doubt that a manager in the championship for the past 2 seasons is taking advice from a manager in league 2.

Yes his dad probably has chance to talk to him and they will talk about football a lot, but the whole Gary Johnson having a say at the gate... I don’t buy it. 

I did appreciate football under SC and performances were better and more entertaining but it’s a shame that we couldn’t adapt in that first season back.

I really think for some expectations are set too high for us, we don't have a Chelsea, Man U, Man C gift in the team like some, we have sold because we had to three of our best players, and we have a young team that is attracting the big money. Even the lad loaned  at Newport is  seemingly a target.

Look at the table and you will see our defensive record is 5th best, and or goals for is about average for where we are. We don't suffer huge beatings, and if we are not clicking up front it is so important to be tight at the back...hence the 'dull' looking performances of late. 

We can go into the Norwich match with few concerns about league position, and give it a real go, they will feel the heat, not us.  

1 hour ago, 1bristolcity said:

I really think for some expectations are set too high for us, we don't have a Chelsea, Man U, Man C gift in the team like some, we have sold because we had to three of our best players, and we have a young team that is attracting the big money. Even the lad loaned  at Newport is  seemingly a target.

Look at the table and you will see our defensive record is 5th best, and or goals for is about average for where we are. We don't suffer huge beatings, and if we are not clicking up front it is so important to be tight at the back...hence the 'dull' looking performances of late. 

We can go into the Norwich match with few concerns about league position, and give it a real go, they will feel the heat, not us.  

So the team that turned out yesterday is 'young' ?  an utter myth espoused by the HC.

We won't 'give it a real go' on Saturday, we will be slow, predictable and cautious if we play to type.

I doubt Norwich will be feeling any 'heat' , they are in a position few expected and they will be coming  to AG full of confidence.

55 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

So the team that turned out yesterday is 'young' ?  an utter myth espoused by the HC.

We won't 'give it a real go' on Saturday, we will be slow, predictable and cautious if we play to type.

I doubt Norwich will be feeling any 'heat' , they are in a position few expected and they will be coming  to AG full of confidence.

Why don't you reply to the other detail..that we have the 5th best defence, we don't take beatings, and we have attracted interest for our young talent?

Allow me...it doesn't fit your agenda, that's why.

1 hour ago, 1bristolcity said:

Why don't you reply to the other detail..that we have the 5th best defence, we don't take beatings, and we have attracted interest for our young talent?

Allow me...it doesn't fit your agenda, that's why.

I didn’t realise I had an agenda - thanks for letting me know.

Yeah 5th best defence statistically is very exciting.

As for our youngsters attracting attention - that is truly good news!

• Admin
8 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Ok, got it. Think Chelsea have many players out on loan. It will be Interesting what will happens, thinking of Kalas and Tammy.

I read in The Times last week in an interesting article about academies and loans, that Chelsea have 47 players out on loan, their site falls just short of showing that many, but it’s a mad number.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/teams/on-loan-players

9 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

We must not forget that Zak Vyner and Taylor Moore will be back at end of season. Unlikely we would buy Kalas.

Both have clauses for recall in the winter window.  We don’t know if Chelsea inserted a recall clause or not.  They didn’t with Tammy and there was a rumour of wanting him back in Jan to move to a Prem club, but they had no ability to do so.  I doubt they missed the trick this time, they did it with Todd Kane!

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

That’s a pretty cheap shot.  

23 hours ago, real_bristol said:

Kalas is playing 

If he’s buyable then we should be in that mix but something tells me Chelsea won’t sell

Chelsea,

Are being looked to by UEFA for their policy of holding so many players Kalas is their 2nd longest player on their books with only a few games!

Chelsea model is to make money from on loan fees and let the players value increase until good enough to play for them or sale for profit. 

22 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

The stats interesting, but doesn’t tell us anything we don’t know.

I think it might have been @spudski who said the other day we had a top 6 defence but a bottom six attack and an average midfield. What we have to remember is the contra of only winning less than the top six is that we’ve lost more than other teams - or we’d be higher.

Inherently, we might nick a goal. But we rarely score two. We defend broadly well, but if we do concede, we don’t have the ability (generally) to score two and turn the game around. So, yeah, I expect us to win or lose generally. Because we can defend, but when a team get noses in front, we can’t break down.

Bolton, 2-0 down drew 2-2.

Blackburn 1-0 down- and they're a compact side- thumped them 4-1.

Ipswich 1-0 and 2-1 down, won 3-2.

Even Reading away though we lost, we came from behind twice.

We have some resilience, at times. I know Ipswich are doomed and 2 of those other sides are strugglers but we can do it at times.

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bolton, 2-0 down drew 2-2.

Blackburn 1-0 down- and they're a compact side- thumped them 4-1.

Ipswich 1-0 and 2-1 down, won 3-2.

Even Reading away though we lost, we came from behind twice.

We have some resilience, at times. I know Ipswich are doomed and 2 of those other sides are strugglers but we can do it at times.

Despite the margin in this game it mustn`t be forgotten that it`s the only one (I think) that Bradley Dack hasn`t played for them. I doubt we`d have had it so easy if he had.

20 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Despite the margin in this game it mustn`t be forgotten that it`s the only one (I think) that Bradley Dack hasn`t played for them. I doubt we`d have had it so easy if he had.

Well remembered, may have been different had he played. Still we were good, though 4-1 arguably flattered us a bit.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Both have clauses for recall in the winter window.  We don’t know if Chelsea inserted a recall clause or not.  They didn’t with Tammy and there was a rumour of wanting him back in Jan to move to a Prem club, but they had no ability to do so.  I doubt they missed the trick this time, they did it with Todd Kane!

That’s a pretty cheap shot.  

True tho.....

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Can’t find it on OS?  Sure “Senior” is busy enough taking Torquay 5 points clear with a lovely brand if flowing football. ?

You seen Janneh’s goal?

Dave that level is so far below the quality required to become a Championship player is vast. No idea why some posters highlight the lower leagues - it’s utterly irrelevant. It means nothing.

20 hours ago, Robbored said:

I'll take this opportunity to counter your oft repeated claim (and others have done the same) that in the 2007/8 season we had loads of 1-0 wins. We had 6 in a 46 game season. People can judge for themselves whether that is loads but the point is that you are entitled to your own opinion but not to your own facts.

As to drab football, the media, from Sky's Football League show to the Guardian took a different view. But they didn't have an axe to grind of course. Perhaps it's time to put the axe down?

Archived