IGNORED

Callum O’Dowda

BessexRED

How did he get on when he came on yesterday? I’ve never been his biggest fan here though do recognise his potential, but find it slightly odd we’ve not seen more of him Recently.

My hunch is that he’s not being played until he commits his future here, again is it really that much of as would he realistically get a better offer than us?

I am on the record of saying if he leaves on a free he will go to a bigger club than us. I reckon a Burnley or Crystal Palace would take a look and if not a low premier league club then possibly a recently relegated club. No he has never impressed much here but have a feeling his time with Ireland has given him a decent reputation. Also you don’t find many 23-24 year old players on a free with potential to get better. Anyway we will see. 

As for when he came on, I think you may get mixed responses but I thought he was a big reason we won. He assisted the goal from a corner but it was the energy he brought. Before he came on their defenders had time to retrieve our long wayward passes and bring the ball up. Callum as soon as he was introduced started closing those down. Within 10 min we score and I don’t think it was a fluke. Then when we started sitting back he relieved pressure by drawing fouls. Also can never fault his workrate. For me could have been close to MoM in only 35 minutes or so. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

I am on the record of saying if he leaves on a free he will go to a bigger club than us. I reckon a Burnley or Crystal Palace would take a look and if not a low premier league club then possibly a recently relegated club. No he has never impressed much here but have a feeling his time with Ireland has given him a decent reputation. Also you don’t find many 23-24 year old players on a free with potential to get better. Anyway we will see. 

As for when he came on, I think you may get mixed responses but I thought he was a big reason we won. He assisted the goal from a corner but it was the energy he brought. Before he came on their defenders had time to retrieve our long wayward passes and bring the ball up. Callum as soon as he was introduced started closing those down. Within 10 min we score and I don’t think it was a fluke. Then when we started sitting back he relieved pressure by drawing fouls. Also can never fault his workrate. For me could have been close to MoM in only 35 minutes or so. 

He wouldn’t get near the matchday squads of those clubs you’ve mentioned though as he doesn’t ever beat his man and his output in terms of goals and assists just isn’t enough.

His best game this season for us was as a CM at West Brom, I’d like to see him on the left side of a 3 at some stage here.

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Callum has massive potential. Just look at some games before that injury last season. Fulham away he was unplayable. Can't remember if it was Hull or Sunderland away we just got it to him every time as we fought back from behind. But since then he hasn't quite looked the same. His recent sub appearances suggest he is beginning to look like that player again. I really hope he signs a new deal, as he might end up a prem player. I believe bigger clubs will be chasing him. I certainly think he is a Pulis type player. Tall, powerful, fast, who works hard up and down the line. We will need to sell if he doesn't sign a new deal soon. I don't see not playing him for not signing a new deal as a wise move. He is more likely to want to sign a new deal if he plays. And if he is playing games and impressing, then that puts his price up if we do need to sell in January.

JonDolman - agree 100%. For me, the introduction of Callum changed the game. His movement both on and off the ball was class. From the moment I saw this baller, I have always said he is destined for bigger and better things - Prem possibly, higher Champ for sure. 

Contractually, his position is no different to Joe Bryan and Bobbi Reid. Neither of them wanted to renew their deals. The difference is that their form was more consistent and there were very few back-up players anywhere near their quality. LJ had to play them even though they had no intention of committing to us. 

Whilst I tend to agree that Callum's form has not been the same since his serious injury, he does show glimpses of brilliance and we all know he is a regular starter on the international stage. Personally, the lack of game time given to him at Bristol is staggering and would suggest there is more going on behind the scenes. I suspect that Johnson (under the orders of Ashton) is teaching Callum a lesson or applying pressure on him to sign a new deal - either way, a strategy doomed to fail and one which will only result in his value dropping at a time when we will have to sell him. If he doesn't go in January, he will move in the summer and good luck to him. 

I actually thought he looked good against Millwall when he came on - it made me realise we had been channelling everything down the other wing via Kelly and Eliasson.

I know there is no loyalty in football, but we looked after him after that nasty injury, so I just wish he would extend with a sell on fee (even if he leaves in the summer) so we get a decent fee - rather like Flint did - otherwise I can't see the point of starting him until the window.

We have alternatives (they aren't as good) but this is undoubtedly the "trading" that LJ keeps referring to.

The problem is a player with 6 months, who may have promise, but far too few goals or assists in his time with us is hardly going to generate significant funds. I think we would be lucky to get back half what we paid for him if we sell in Jan.

I can't help thinking this is why we bought Watkins and Adelukan - City knew Callum wanted away.

7 hours ago, BessexRED said:

He wouldn’t get near the matchday squads of those clubs you’ve mentioned though as he doesn’t ever beat his man and his output in terms of goals and assists just isn’t enough.

His best game this season for us was as a CM at West Brom, I’d like to see him on the left side of a 3 at some stage here.

I wouldn’t be so sure. You are judging him based off a few years at Bristol City under Lee Johnson. I am pretty sure we never got the best of Callum. It would not surprise me one bit if he left here and is very good next season for someone else. I could be completely wrong but if the only clubs after him were lower champ or higher L1 surely he would resign here? 

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

I wouldn’t be so sure. You are judging him based off a few years at Bristol City under Lee Johnson. I am pretty sure we never got the best of Callum. It would not surprise me one bit if he left here and is very good next season for someone else. I could be completely wrong but if the only clubs after him were lower champ or higher L1 surely he would resign here? 

Yeah it kind of strikes the Luke freeman type of vibe doesn’t it. I can picture it going down very similar to that, he leaves for a side like QPR, Wigan, Brentford etc and then becomes a stand out player for them. 

If for example the sides lower in the league and some league 1 sides offered him a contract you would like to think he would stay. After all what benefit is he getting from taking a side step at most or a back step. 

However some players want to stick to their guns and leave anyway just to prove a point, (I’m not saying he is one of them). 

Agree with @JoeAman08 as I put in my report, Callum's introduction was decisive.

Eliasson wasn't particularly effective (he wasn't poor, he just wasn't direct enough), and Weimann was poor (he's so totally out of form) so being able to bring in O'Dowda made a huge difference. He goes at players and is not afraid to draw the foul rather than release (or punt) the ball to no one, so instead of surrendering possession so often he was able to occupy Birmingham and take the urgency out of the game to allow us to regroup - case in point after they hit the post he was away running at them, winning a foul at the other end.

HOWEVER, people saying he should be starting would do well to look at his appearances record this season as I'm not sure it's only about signing a contract. It's odd but he does well off the bench then starts a match and seem to go totally missing and get hauled off quickly, and ends up back on the bench. Look at some of the games he's started and not turned up in - Rotherham, Stoke. This routine of making an impact as sub, getting your chance and blowing it is by no means unique to him under LJ, but he's been the worst for it.

14 minutes ago, Olé said:

Agree with @JoeAman08 as I put in my report, Callum's introduction was decisive.

Eliasson wasn't particularly effective (he wasn't poor, he just wasn't direct enough), and Weimann was poor (he's so totally out of form) so being able to bring in O'Dowda made a huge difference. He goes at players and is not afraid to draw the foul rather than release (or punt) the ball to no one, so instead of surrendering possession so often he was able to occupy Birmingham and take the urgency out of the game to allow us to regroup - case in point after they hit the post he was away running at them, winning a foul at the other end.

HOWEVER, people saying he should be starting would do well to look at his appearances record this season as I'm not sure it's only about signing a contract. It's odd but he does well off the bench then starts a match and seem to go totally missing and get hauled off quickly, and ends up back on the bench. Look at some of the games he's started and not turned up in - Rotherham, Stoke. This routine of making an impact as sub, getting your chance and blowing it is by no means unique to him under LJ, but he's been the worst for it.

That’s why I’ll be dissapointed if we lose him Ole

One of the few (at best) we have that will travel with the ball , drive at opposition , and take any space offered to him 

Gets us up the pitch 

Also a very good crosser of the ball

Actually think age / ability / style he should be / should have been , a perfect fit for us 

Be very surprised if he resigns here - The way football is I’d suggest he probably has a good idea where he will be playing next season 

He did well when he came on yesterday, immediately closing down the oppo and as said by Olé above retained possession when he had to, frustrating Brum and drawing the fouls.

Better determination all round, good defensively, we just need to start creating more chances.

I've suggested this previously and been laughed at - replace a tired, laboured and out of form Pack with Callum

He plays centrally for ROI As we all witnessed against blues, he breaks with lightning pace and takes us 20 yards forward in seconds. He draws fouls. His athleticism and defensive qualities are impressive. Against WBA his ball through the middle to set up Fam's goal was peachy.

Worth a go???

2 minutes ago, Jack Bailey said:

I've suggested this previously and been laughed at - replace a tired, laboured and out of form Pack with Callum

He plays centrally for ROI As we all witnessed against blues, he breaks with lightning pace and takes us 20 yards forward in seconds. He draws fouls. His athleticism and defensive qualities are impressive. Against WBA his ball through the middle to set up Fam's goal was peachy.

Worth a go???

Wouldn't be the worst idea especially at home, thought Pack played well on Saturday in fairness.

Be gutted if he leaves, but can't blame him.  Should be playing.  If he played more games he'd quickly be back to his best.

He will play in the prem at some stage IMHO.  Anyone whose seen him play for Ireland will see that he can play at a higher level.   The fact someone like Martin O'Neill shows the confidence he does in him should be enough to convince any doubters.

It’s a no brainer that he won’t sign a new deal, he’s not on LJ’s popular list, every match players of lesser ability get to start, while he is on the bench knowing he could do better and that if he does get on he won’t be allowed to play the way he knows he can do best!  The ROI team have a fairly good pool of players to call on, marvellous how LJ thinks he knows better than the national team and does not allow Callum to play in his best position.

Wherever you choose to move on to Callum, good luck and enjoy being ALLOWED to develop.

On 09/12/2018 at 09:22, Olé said:

How much of it is down to rotation though Ole? Callum always struck me as a player that needed a run of games to get going, I.e. said mentioned run of games he had in run-up to the injury.

He may have similar playing time to Paterson, but the difference is that for Callum its only been the odd 60 minutes or sub appearance.

He's a confidence player - not giving him consistant game time, is here any reason for him to stay? If I was him Id sacrifice a year at say Ipswich in League One on similar wages if it meant I got noticed ala Baldock for us.

Can honestly see him being at someone like Brighton in a year or two.

Dave 36seems to care more about cheap pops at our (proven) wonderful coach than our (very) inconsistent player. 

Why he doesn't play more? Better players in the squad

Why he doesn't play in CM? We like crosses from wide and would complain if all our options (Pato, Josh, then CoD) came down the middle. 

I've always liked him as a development player and like the vast majority of these that come into BCFC under the Lj regime, he has developed well from being an Oxford lightweight. 

As stated by others, he is so inconsistent he has to improve goals/assists or move on

I dont think hes been the same since that injury, but he clearly has potential. Like soneone else says, I suspect arrangements are in place for his next move, and since he scored that screamerfor Ireland there, ive a feeling that it might involve celtic, which might mean theres no fee involved?

21 hours ago, Jack Bailey said:

Worth a go???

Can’t see COD winning about 20 headers a game - Pack is doing a different job this year, to replace him with O’Dowda would be a disaster in my opinion.

COD going is down to him, I’m very much in the camp that it’s no disaster at all if he goes,  not been good enough for the majority of this season just like Patterson 

9 minutes ago, joenaldo said:

Tbh if a player dosnt want to play for the club I dont really see the point of him here - find it ridiculous that any player is able to go into his final year of his contract unless its us who dont want to offer the deal

Bryan and Reid didn’t sign new deals because both knew they’d be moving on - maybe CoD is in the same position  :dunno:

We have to remember that the wage budget at City is restricted  when compared to other similar size Championship clubs and CoD could well get a bigger wedge simply by moving within the Championship. 

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

Bryan and Reid didn’t sign new deals because both knew they’d be moving on - maybe CoD is in the same position  :dunno:

We have to remember that the wage budget at City is restricted  when compared to other similar size Championship clubs and CoD could well get a bigger wedge simply by moving within the Championship. 

Problem is, Reid and Bryan still had a year left....Callum is OOC this summer and can leave for zilch.

Archived