IGNORED

Callum O’Dowda

BessexRED

20 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Odds on the two are related. Lee won't play him because he won't sign.

Callum wants away. Being on Sky was a great opportunity to attract bidders to achieve his aim of moving on. All assumptions as I am not ITK but seems to fit what we've seen recently.

You might as well be ITK, because you are spot on. 

I think he'll be off in January barring something dramatic happening. 

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You might as well be ITK, because you are spot on. 

I think he'll be off in January barring something dramatic happening. 

If it is true then good riddance. If he can play like that but only when it suits him I'd rather he went. That is a very poor attitude imo and not the kind of character I want in the team.

If it's true.......if not please sign Callum!!

21 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

If it is true then good riddance. If he can play like that but only when it suits him I'd rather he went. That is a very poor attitude imo and not the kind of character I want in the team.

If it's true.......if not please sign Callum!!

That’s actually grossly unfair. Johnson has not been playing him. Just look at the stats. 

Callum starts regularly on the international stage then warns the bench in BS3 - complete farce!

Football careers are short so why the hell should the fella sign for a club and Gaffer that doesn’t invest in him?  As fans we start throwing around all thls loyalty crap without looking at it from the players perspective. In Callum’s position, I would do exactly the same  

I do know that Ashton has offered O’Dowda a deal, which he and his agent believe is pitiful. At the end of the day, we either pay up or let the lad go. Simple as that. 

6 minutes ago, Kevin Brady said:

That’s actually grossly unfair. Johnson has not been playing him. Just look at the stats. 

Callum starts regularly on the international stage then warns the bench in BS3 - complete farce!

Football careers are short so why the hell should the fella sign for a club and Gaffer that doesn’t invest in him?  As fans we start throwing around all thls loyalty crap without looking at it from the players perspective. In Callum’s position, I would do exactly the same  

I do know that Ashton has offered O’Dowda a deal, which he and his agent believe is pitiful. At the end of the day, we either pay up or let the lad go. Simple as that. 

I get the impression you know COD and thus  think your take is , sadly, pretty accurate 

From an outsiders viewpoint , I think LJ has made errors in not using him more but the situation this season with COD returning ‘unwell’ from Int duty twice in a row seems to have made the situation worse

I can’t see a resolution and fear COD will move and I think that’s a great shame for BCFC  as I think there’s a very very good player there , a young Darren Anderton  potentially

8 minutes ago, Kevin Brady said:

Pitiful, as in around £10k a week. It's all relative I suppose. I like O'Dowda, I really do but in the chances he has had to impress he hasn't always done it. That's a fact.

Yes, he's an international but I doubt the current ROI side could beat City quite frankly so perspective needed.

If someone's willing to pay more than City for him, and we pay mid-table Championship wages, then good luck to him. Think he'll have done very well for himself based on what I've seen. 

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Pitiful, as in around £10k a week. It's all relative I suppose. I like O'Dowda, I really do but in the chances he has had to impress he hasn't always done it. That's a fact.

Yes, he's an international but I doubt the current ROI side could beat City quite frankly so perspective needed.

If someone's willing to pay more than City for him, and we pay mid-table Championship wages, then good luck to him. Think he'll have done very well for himself based on what I've seen. 

I obviously don’t know much about him , his personality etc Kid

But do you not see a ‘real player’ in him 

( I do ) 

After Kelly , Paterson he’d be right up there , certainly in terms of potential , for me 

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I obviously don’t know much about him , his personality etc Kid

But do you not see a ‘real player’ in him 

( I do ) 

After Kelly , Paterson he’d be right up there , certainly in terms of potential , for me 

With potential, yes. I'd question his application at the moment though. Let's be honest the boy from Oxford was Roofe; he's proven himself at this level. O'Dowda may well go on to do that but hasn't yet imo.

17 minutes ago, Kevin Brady said:

Interesting post. Feels like it's from someone who actually is ITK.

I realise players have a short career and it is entirely reasonable for them to put their own best interests first.

However he was injured for a lot of last season and got paid what most of us mere mortals would consider far from 'pitiful' money while contributing f all to bcfc.

I do think modern players have completely lost perspective and expect to be showered with riches beyond most of us. If he can get his ass into gear only when he sees the chance of more £ elsewhere I find it hard to have much sympathy for him.

I don’t believe in the conspiracy about him not playing. I think Johnson has learned not to rush players back from injury, regardless of what ROI do. He probably also got one eye on what happened last season with fatigue during the run-in. We need COD at his best for the rest of the season and if that means bringing him back slowly then so be it. LJ, IMO, can take some credit for Callum’s performance today.

With regards to his contract I think the club in time will give him a competitive offer because of his potential to be sold for £10m+ if he continues to perform. It would be unsustainable not to offer him a competitive wage.

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

With potential, yes. I'd question his application at the moment though. Let's be honest the boy from Oxford was Roofe; he's proven himself at this level. O'Dowda may well go on to do that but hasn't yet imo.

Do you have doubts and particularly informed ;) doubts about his application ?

or are you just wondering mate ?

He doesn't strike me as a 'bad egg' though. When he speaks he doesn't sound dim or easily led, seems like quite a level-headed guy. Strikes me as some sort of falling out or just frustrated at LJ's refusal to play more of him when he had that chance (the injury doesn't cover ALL of his time out of the side). If it's the latter I wouldn't blame him all that much.

Regarding 10k a week as 'pitiful', sounds more like agent talk to me.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That was Callum's SECOND league goal for us tonight in 34 starts and 40 sub appearances. How much a week would you pay for that?

Kemar Roofe has 27 goals in 100 appearances for Leeds.

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Can’t disagree that Route has ability and is delivering atm 

But two different players and accepting I know nothing of eithers aoplication / personality’s etc

Purely in what I’ve seen , and you and many may think I’m crackers , but I’d take or reccomend COD over Roofe as a player , with regards to potential  

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Goals yes not too many, but also assists, what he brings to the team, winger also able to tuck in- not all wingers can?

Well I'd definitely look to get him tied down- he was in such good form last Autumn over a 6-7 game period until his injury.

Putting aside goals and assists and he can , and will IMHO deliver more in future 

he is IMHO a footballer , reads the game , quick football mind and he travels with the ball (A value often undervalued and not easy to find) , gets us up the pitch , wins free kicks 

Gives us much more IMHO than assists / goals 

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Do you have doubts and particularly informed ;) doubts about his application ?

or are you just wondering mate ?

Application different to effort. I think this may just be one of those where the move hasn't worked out. Manager's expectations v player's expectations. I've said I like Callum as a player, despite some imo indifferent performances, and he may very well go on and play at the upper end of this division. He's 23 so has time, but saying that will go into his next contract as a 24/25 year old...so needs to start delivering consistently soon. 

Always rated Callum and tonight was a performance of why I think he ends up at a lower premier league club. He will be super cheap fee wise, same wages, still has potential and he can play. Callum may not always have the numbers but always thought with his ability to draw fouls and drive through the middle of the pitch he had more to give. Think he will be an excellent player but i do feel it will be elsewhere. 

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Putting aside goals and assists and he can , and will IMHO deliver more in future 

he is IMHO a footballer , reads the game , quick football mind and he travels with the ball (A value often undervalued and not easy to find) , gets us up the pitch , wins free kicks 

Gives us much more IMHO than assists / goals 

I'd agree with that- his best is yet to come, just hope he can display some of that here. His defensive ability too, also valuable- all forms part of the package, getting him tied down should be a big priority IMO.

Drawing fouls and going up the middle also good- not all wingers have that ability to drift inside.

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Application different to effort. I think this may just be one of those where the move hasn't worked out. Manager's expectations v player's expectations. I've said I like Callum as a player, despite some imo indifferent performances, and he may very well go on and play at the upper end of this division. He's 23 so has time, but saying that will go into his next contract as a 24/25 year old...so needs to start delivering consistently soon. 

Good post

All about trust I guess , from both sides

I think this is where Lee needs to get his calls right 

See Kid , Just my opinion , I see some signs in COD ((mAnd accepting I know nothing about his personality / attitude) that I’d be playing him whenever fit and telling him that I see a player in him and was going to back him

I see those signs that I see in Kelly (glaring !) , in flashes in Elliasson more than any player we have , certainly in development potential 

For whatever reason I don’t think Lee has had that conviction 

Callum is 23....give him a break? With a better level of consistency and an injury free run he is more than good enough to play at a higher level.   If we allow him to leave by not offering him a decent contract, it will come back to bite us.  We seem to be regularly mismanaging contracts, yet we are happy to give players like Hegeler a good wage for little return.  IMHO.

I think that all this stuff about players CHOOSING whether to play well or not is laughable. No player CHOOSES to play badly - that's not how human nature works!! There may be a number of reasons why COD has not played like that every week but him choosing not to is not one of them - I'm  sure of that! 

1 hour ago, Dolman Block B said:

He would signed by now if he was going to stay

Another top player on his way out the club

3/4 Million plus

City will take it 

We will never get that much for someone who is free in 5 months and whose goal scoring record is as poor as Callum’s ( whether he had a stormer last night or not).

i suspect Oxford might have a sell on fee % as well - though I have no facts.

Archived