IGNORED

Callum O’Dowda

BessexRED

30 minutes ago, Jack Bailey said:

I don’t buy all the conspiracy theories.

O’Dowda has not started anywhere near the games he should have so I don’t blame him for not committing to us. BCFC own goal I’m afraid. 

Spot on.

If he was played more we'd have got more form him in terms of consistency and end product.  

Decent with both feet, good in the air, tackles back, can beat a man, strong enough to hold off defenders, turns games, so unplayable the opposition have to resort to fouling him.  Always gives 100%.  Can't believe some the accusations and comments on here.

I recall Callum commenting after a ROI game on the belief and confidence Martin O'Neill gave him.   He's obviously a player that needs to feel loved and LJ continually overlooks him nomatter how well he plays in his short cameos.

One of my favourite players and will be gutted when he leaves in January which looks highly likely. 

7 hours ago, RedSkin said:

Spot on.

If he was played more we'd have got more form him in terms of consistency and end product.  

Decent with both feet, good in the air, tackles back, can beat a man, strong enough to hold off defenders, turns games, so unplayable the opposition have to resort to fouling him.  Always gives 100%.  Can't believe some the accusations and comments on here.

I recall Callum commenting after a ROI game on the belief and confidence Martin O'Neill gave him.   He's obviously a player that needs to feel loved and LJ continually overlooks him nomatter how well he plays in his short cameos.

One of my favourite players and will be gutted when he leaves in January which looks highly likely. 

Bang on with all of this, he’s been truly under used when you think of how much game time lesser players have had

On 15/12/2018 at 20:04, BobBobSuperBob said:

Anyone who has written him off , ineffective, no end product etc etc

needs to watch that performance today

Excellent , terrorised them at times

Well played COD

Get that new contract sorted 

Playing catch-up.  Not read the whole thread, but get the sentiments.

In no way I have written him off, but we need to see more of the type of performance we saw Saturday.  I only watched the first half properly, and it was good to see him play like that.  Not trying to diss the performance but there were a lot of open spaces on Saturday just like West Brom, when he also played well.  In those games without much space, I think he finds it harder to reproduce the stuff we saw Saturday.

On 15/12/2018 at 20:12, JonDolman said:

I have always loved Callum. Absolutely works his socks off. Never looks tired. He draws so many players towards him when he goes on those runs. He needs to shoot like that more often. He has a great left peg. Really needs a run of games now and desperate for him to sign a new deal. Him and Eliasson as wingers with Diedhiou up top. What a handful that will be. Clever from LJ playing O'Dowda over Eliasson on the left. That little right back of theirs is some player. They had a lot of play down that side and Lloyd had a tough game so Callum was the ideal player to cover.

The bit about drawing players in is similar to my reply to Bob.  When the game is open he can flow and commit players.  When it is tight, the tactic doesn’t work, over-running the ball, running up blind-alleys.  That to me starts to hint at only having one type of game.  The usual “YouTube” style montage we saw upon signing from Oxford was the type of stuff we saw Saturday.

I would like to see him as big an influence in the tighter games.  Tough, physical games like Stoke and Rotherham, are where he didn’t meet my expectations, and I think he needs to be a bit more “give and go” in those games....get it, give it, stretch them in behind....if not to get the ball back himself, but create space for others.

On 15/12/2018 at 20:15, robin_unreliant said:

It's depressing but I suspect that was  what finally motivated him to turn it on. He hasn't done much since his injury and Lee was charitable on sky and suggested he is just getting his fitness back. I am more cynical in my view as to why he suddenly lifted his game tonight.

If LJ said that, then I’m pleased.  Better man-management.

On 15/12/2018 at 21:28, Kid in the Riot said:

Pitiful, as in around £10k a week. It's all relative I suppose. I like O'Dowda, I really do but in the chances he has had to impress he hasn't always done it. That's a fact.

Yes, he's an international but I doubt the current ROI side could beat City quite frankly so perspective needed.

If someone's willing to pay more than City for him, and we pay mid-table Championship wages, then good luck to him. Think he'll have done very well for himself based on what I've seen. 

Agree, all relative.  He’s not a first pick as it stands, it’s a year ago, when injury curtailed a promising spell of form.  There needs to be a bit if compromise on both sides.  Could be as simple as signing an inventivised package based on games, goals etc.  However I wouldn’t blame Callum for taking the opportunity to test the market in both January or the summer when he’ll be out of contract.

We (City) have put ourselves in a bit of a spot!!

LJ said a bit more about COD:

Callum O'Dowda has really found form. You must be delighted.
Absolutely. Before Callum got injured we were talking for five or six games about how high he could go and I think the sky was his limit. Then he had that injury up at Hull and we lost a dynamic from losing that player.
And now it feels like we’ve got that player back. There’s no-one in the world who wants that player to do well more than me.
I love him as a lad and I love his attitude. We spend a lot of time working with him and he’s got some really, really top class attributes and the good thing for him and more importantly us and the Bristol City first team is that he brought them out and to have that competition with Niclas Eliasson who has also performed well in that position can only be a good thing.
On O'Dowda's future: you said there were contract negotiations going on and we assume no update but can you confirm if he's out of contract in the summer?
He’s not out of contract in the summer, that's for sure. Yeah, don't worry. Yeah [he has a one year option deal]. We’ll either sell him for fortunes or give him a new contract.
In my eyes, he’s a player that I really want to continue to work with. The potential is still untapped for various reasons such as the stop start nature of football and sometimes injuries and the concussions that happen. It’ll bear fruit for all of us if he stays here for the next three or four years of his career.
Are you expecting him to sign?
To be honest, as you know contract negotiations are not the bulk of my job.
I make recommendations and my recommendation is to keep Callum O'Dowda and everyone knows that. But it's not up to me to negotiate the details - that’s for Mark and the board to do.

Good to hear the LJ interview.  Suspect he may still be off, albeit in the summer rather than January.  

If he went, would love to see him at Celtic.  And not a bad career move.  Lots of players have gone to Celtic, got champions League games, and then got picked up by bigger clubs.  Van Dijk and Wanyama being recent examples.

This thread is OTIB at its best ! ?

So much fake news from him being out of contract next summer, and sell him this window, do this and do that with him, when  in reality he is not out of contract and going no where unless BCFC decide that is the case (or player decides that is the case and wants to move on to more rich pastures). 

And as is the case with every player in the World, they all have a 'sale price' and if a huge bid happens to come in for one of our 'squad' players who has not been a regular and it allows other things to happen, then I suspect it will.   

2 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

So much fake news from him being out of contract next summer, and sell him this window, do this and do that with him, when  in reality he is not out of contract and going no where unless BCFC decide that is the case (or player decides that is the case and wants to move on to more rich pastures). 

And as is the case with every player in the World, they all have a 'sale price' and if a huge bid happens to come in for one of our 'squad' players who has not been a regular and it allows other things to happen, then I suspect it will.   

Apparently the club check on OTIB hence the comment on him not being out of contract.

4 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

To be fair, when he signed his contract here there was no mention of a additional year option.  It is a fact that his contract does expire in Summer 2019.  The club have to exercise the option they inserted to extend it to summer 2020.

Earlier this season, when it was first mentioned about the possibility of a new deal (or not), I asked Gregor McGregor to ask LJ if there was a year option.  Gregor told me he asked the question and there wasn’t one.

So we all give info on a best endeavours basis.

What also needs to be understood is that the terms of the year option would’ve been agreed in summer 2016, and are likely to be in City’s favour, not Callum’s.

There will be a fair bit of cat and mouse going on here.  

From City’s side, they still gave him for 18 months, assuming they exercise year option, so are trying to do the best deal for them, bearing in mind he’s only just come back to form having not performed at this level for a year (mainly because of injury)

On Callum’s side he knows the terms of the year extra won’t be what he wants, and he wants more money now.

6 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

You were aware of the year option all along I guess ?

9 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

There have been some bold posts on here, not just this thread, about Callum recently, leaving for nothing and not signing a new contract in a million years.

I suppose we'll find out in next month or so. 

49 minutes ago, Jack Bailey said:

This glowing PFSA scouting report on COD is doing the rounds on social media. Extremely interesting but also extremely worrying for us? Why are they publicising reports like this?

https://thepfsa.co.uk/why-callum-odowda-is-such-a-coveted-asset-for-bristol-city/

Why worry? It’s not as if players’ performances happen behind closed doors. Every big club in the country is keeping an eye on most of the players in the league. If they play well, people notice.

1 hour ago, Jack Bailey said:

This glowing PFSA scouting report on COD is doing the rounds on social media. Extremely interesting but also extremely worrying for us? Why are they publicising reports like this?

https://thepfsa.co.uk/why-callum-odowda-is-such-a-coveted-asset-for-bristol-city/

Get views on their website, generates potential interest in their courses which cost around a grand if you want to complete all of them 

7 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Micky Mouse web site.

This is the main association for football scouts and is hardly 'mickey mouse'. 30K followers on Twitter is not Disney. The PFSA is a professional body that has a website just like the PFA and FA (who also generate income through various courses)

The worry is not about the report and it's content, more that O'Dowda seems to be following the trend set by Joe and Bobbi. If a deal was to be had, surely it would have been sorted by now. Personally, I cant see him going anywhere this month

I will stick my neck out here and predict he will be sold in the January window. Personally I like Callum and have met him once or twice but just don't think things have really worked out... If he was valued that highly and seen as a regular at his age we wouldn't be talking about this with his contract still not resolved is a little bit bizarre. 

59 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

I will stick my neck out here and predict he will be sold in the January window. Personally I like Callum and have met him once or twice but just don't think things have really worked out... If he was valued that highly and seen as a regular at his age we wouldn't be talking about this with his contract still not resolved is a little bit bizarre. 

LJ has said publicly that he wants Callum's contract extended so its down to those in charge of negotiations to reach an agreement.

1 hour ago, Allwaysred said:

I like Callum and have met him once or twice but just don't think things have really worked out...

He didn’t invite you on a 3rd date then?

Thats life mate, some you win some you lose. There will be others don’t worry

On 10/01/2019 at 07:47, Kevin Brady said:

This is the main association for football scouts and is hardly 'mickey mouse'. 30K followers on Twitter is not Disney. The PFSA is a professional body that has a website just like the PFA and FA (who also generate income through various courses)

I'm not trying to be condescending here but I'm part of a team who make content for Pro Evolution Soccer and the main account for the website has over 20k followers. It's a lot for a single person to have 30k followers, for a professional football body that's not impressive numbers. 

Archived