IGNORED

Match Report: Famara Leaves His Mark on Birmingham (for real this time)

Olé

City striker Famara Diedhiou has had his share of critics this season but having had his campaign stalled by Birmingham City's spurious claims of spitting in April, it was perhaps fitting that he roared back today to leave a decisive mark on the Blues.

Even allowing for the bizarre swings in the Lee Johnson era City's fortunes, today at Birmingham was remarkable in its shift in roles as the away team took the game to in form opponents, dominating possession and then stealing a smash and grab win.

Despite riding their luck against hosts that were reduced to playing on the break - yet went on to hit the woodwork and contrive claims for a penalty - City were organised and good value for the win, Diedhiou with a bullet header with our only clear chance.

City started by far the more purposefully, spreading the ball around. On ten minutes they deservedly produced the first clear chance, Paterson's left wing corner deep to Kalas who slammed a right foot shot through a crowd, deflected off the line.

But on 16 minutes City gave the ball away and left winger Maghoma raced upfield, cut inside and drifted into the box before tumbling theatrically under pressure from two defenders - the referee waving away home appeals as away fans breathed in.

It was all City - perhaps without the final ball or forward presence - but momentum shifted on the half hour as the impressive Kelly tried to intercept the ball as the right back ushered it out - scithing him down for a yellow as home fans appealed loudly.

Suddenly the hosts were fired up and on 34 minutes Pack was bundled off the ball on the halfway line as Birmingham broke quickly, spreading it deep for Jutkiewicz on the left who flashed a cross in front of goal that his teammate didn't turn home.

The ball was bundled clear and from the corner Dean's header was tipped over acrobatically by Maenappa. A minute later City raced upfield and a smart run from Paterson sprung Kelly on the left, his well placed cross turned away for a corner.

But by now Birmingham had found their feet and won a succession of corners, and in the 41st minute their deep free kick was headed on and fell kindly in the box inside the near post but Eliasson did brilliantly to  track back and force a hurried shot over.

In injury time Famara was upended as he tried to wriggle clear of a marker and from the resultant deep free kick Kalas headed on and Famara was free left of goal but rushed a shot high and wide. Nonetheless it meant City had easily the best of the half.

After the break City came again, Webster seeing a shot blocked on the turn from a Kelly long throw, minutes later Kelly doing brilliantly to twist away from three markers - with a nutmeg - as City rallied. A minute later Pack slipped a marker and fired over.

The game turned decisively and rightly in City favour after the addition of O'Dowda before the hour. First he won a free kick - headed on in the box dangerously - and minutes later he setup a winner, providing Famara his Birmingham City redemption.

Ten minutes earlier the Senegalese striker clashed off the ball with Dean in the box - the two with previous from the alleged spit incident, the home player having levelled accusations that got Famara banned - now both booked with Diedhiou incensed.  

So it was poetic justice for the striker, as following bright play and endeavour from Brownhill and Pack in midfield, the hosts bundled the ball out for a corner and from O'Dowda's right wing flag kick Diedhiou got in at the near post with a bullet header.

Delerium in the adjacent away end was in stark contrast to the endlessly silent home fans and was no more than City deserved - perhaps short on chances but certainly a team that retained the ball and worked far harder in midfield, more so with O'Dowda.

Almost immediately joy turned to calamity as Diedhiou went down with an injury and Birmingham played on stubbornly. Matters got worse as City won possession but the attempt to kick it out hit Pack square in the face and still they played on with two down.

It set the tone for a niggly final half hour as the hosts attacked doggedly but with little quality, only appealing incessantly for  fouls and free kicks and breaks in play that they didn't see fit to provide their visitors with two men laid out on the pitch.

This culminated in a horrendous dive from Che Evans on 77 minutes - rightly booked - but 5 minutes later Pisano tangled with an opponent while shepparding a ball out of play and gave away a free kick, from which Jutkiewicz hit the inside of the post. 

City somehow scrambled the ball clear and on the break that man O'Dowda went in a weaving run before two home players were required to cut him down. More evidence that while Birmingham had the better chances, City made all the running.

City's resolute defence - Kalas, Webster, Pisano, Kelly all to a man outstanding - held on with relative ease, although a final panic came in the 94th minute as Blues won a free kick on the edge of the box and Maenappa held on low through a crowd. 

In the end it would be very easy to call it a smash and grab win but that would do a disservice to a City side that played with a long missed energy and organisation, and  dominated possession for long periods of both halves vs disspirited Birmingham.

It was fitting that Diedhiou, often derided for his solo work on scraps and long balls, scored the decisive and emphatic header against a team that went out of its way to get him banned and spent most of today howling at the referee to do them a favour.

Not a result that anyone connected with City would have expected, but if LJ did I take my hat off to him. It wasn't a vintage performance, little up front and chances at an absolute premium, but we outplayed a form Birmingham side and that is huge.

Maenappa 8 Most convincing performance for weeks, one bad kick but so comfortable with everything they threw at him - even his punch was the right call

Pisano 7 - Thought he'd get taken to pieces by Maghoma but was strong and disciplined

Kalas 8 - Best game for a good few weeks, he was hungry for the ball and never stopped closing down

Webster 8 - The best compliment I can give him is "as usual"

Kelly 7 - Looked more careless after his booking as they picked on him and his confidence took a hit, but this is by his own high standards, a 19 year old bossing it physically against much older players, wow

Pack 7 Best game for a long while, we ran the midfield and a long time since I've said that

Brownhill 8 That was the Josh we had in our best run last season, ran his heart out, touches weren't always clean and balls sometimes wildly miscued, but relentless press on Birmingham who never settled - it is a contribution we've not had since we lost Korey

Paterson 7 Played from very deep but have not seen him play with this much fight with and without the ball. Touches not always good but got into positions all over the pitch where he made a difference

Eliasson 6 Didn't really get into a generally compact game, one massively important track back for one of Brum's best chances 

Weimann 5 Sorry to say but despite lots of energy he is hugely out of form and nothing is coming off for him, was painful at times today

Diedhiou 7 Say what you like about him, he wanted it today, his touches and close control were good and his reaction with the away fans for his goal and at the end say it all - if you could bottle it you would 

O'Dowda 8 Added quality and directness that pushed us over the line - such a confident player

Watkins 6 Solid addition

Yes, a solid performance. Not many chances for us but the organisation was very good. Nice to see that we can fight and be a little nasty, i missed that. Still dont understand why Mäenpää always give the ball to one of our defenders. We play the ball in our own area, sometimes it get worried, and then we move the ball forward. Why not keep it simple, Mäenpää kicks the ball direct to our forwards. We are not Barcelona or Real Madrid, we are Bristol City. Very happy with our win and the team showed great spirit. We have lost Bryan and Bobby, think we have less creative since they left. The defence more solid than last season. We have the players that we have and Im thinking we are doing ok. January window is difficault to get some good player, thinking of last season. Esia, Watkins, Adelakunde, Taylor, Odowda, we have ok squad. This team will be better and better I hope and think. 20 games played and LJ knows what team he should start with. If we can move the ball faster and play more with speed than will we be good. COYR!!!

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Been saying for about a year now that Johnson needs to put an extra body in midfield. That man has recently been Paterson, who like you say is playing much deeper now. We look so much more solid a unit. That's when teams can play badly and win, because they're hard to score against. Keep a clean sheet and you will win games. We now have to work on the final third to really make the most of our possession. The reason we have always gone on bad losing runs is because we have always been too easy to score against under Johnson. He's finally doing something about that. Great post again Ole.

I agree it's a real shame Walsh was injured just when he looked like he could be that extra creative midfield player.

This might have allowed us to pair Pato with Fam and give Weimann a much needed chance to regroup.

I'm starting to hate all the "Fam isn't good enough" brigade, not just on OTIB but where I sit as well - we need to find him a partner that gets the best from him - I'd start with Pato (he is the most like Reid from last year) for 3 games and see if they can develop something.

40 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Great write up as usual, Rob. How deep was Pack mind! Watched the game on tv and was impressed by how solid we looked, albeit we have away possession too much but battled to get the ball back. A huge 3pts. 3 more than I’d expected! 

....I really need to learn......

cos we're living in a world of (forum moaners) breaking us down.....

....and the moment that you wander far from me (this is Webster singing now), Marlon, I wanna feel you in my arms again.....

13 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

....I really need to learn......

cos we're living in a world of (forum moaners) breaking us down.....

....and the moment that you wander far from me (this is Webster singing now), Marlon, I wanna feel you in my arms again.....

Genius

• Admin
16 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I noticed against Millwall. Perhaps Kodjia is no longer his hero 

The way he vehemently celebrated his goal pointing at his head to the City fans, maybe he's picked up on all the social media "advice" that he needs to deliver more. Happy for him.

21 minutes ago, Ian M said:

The way he vehemently celebrated his goal pointing at his head to the City fans, maybe he's picked up on all the social media "advice" that he needs to deliver more. Happy for him.

Think it was a bit more of a ‘ have that’ response but difficult to tell as spitgate would have been in the middle of it too

As for his relationship with the fans - It’s a cycle that could pick up quickly 

He clearly enjoys his moments and the personal adulation , and I hope that he realises that if he puts more in he will reap the rewards in the response from the fans

I fear he may dissapear off in the Not too distant 

• Admin
2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think it was a bit more of a ‘ have that’ response but difficult to tell as spitgate would have been in the middle of it too

As for his relationship with the fans - It’s a cycle that could pick up quickly 

He clearly enjoys his moments and the personal adulation , and I hope that he realises that if he puts more in he will reap the rewards in the response from the fans

I fear he may dissapear off in the Not too distant 

I hope the last sentence isn't true as he can be a good player that we dont make the most of.

I have to say that although I wouldn’t want to get carried away as it was hardly Guardiola’s Barcelona team, I thought yesterday was actually good. 

You wouldn’t exactly describe it was free flowing, but it’s the most I’ve enjoyed a City performance (with the exception of one half against Stoke I guess) in months.

There actually appeared to be some sort of plan and you could see how the team wanted to play. I’ve been highly critical of the standard of football all season, but compared to Birmingham who could do nothing else then knock it up to Jutkiewicz, I thought we tried to play some really good football.

Obviously we still barely created many chances and had to rely on set pieces for our goal and the only other shot on target, but I thought that was down to a lack of quality in the final third, rather than what at times this season has just been a complete lack of any sort of plan or idea.

I know other people will moan, certainly in homes games, about ‘only having one up front’, but I’m quietly positive about Johnson finally moving to a formation with  an extra man in midfield. I thought that change enabled Pack to have his best game for a long time. Still a fair way from his best from last season, but showed some real positive signs at times controlled the game. Obviously it helps he plays much deeper than others and it is his game to get on the ball, but I looked at the stats this morning and he completed 57 passes compared to the other three central midfielders on the pitch (Brownhill, Gardner and Kieftenbeld) who made 17, 22 and 15 respectively.

There’s still a long way to go before you could say we’re really playing good football, and our home form has been dire, but in my opinion it was the first performance in months, again with the exception of 45 minutes against Stoke, that had anything to be positive about. And that isn’t just because we nicked a win from a set piece as we’ve won games in that time where the performance has left me cold, and I was happy with how we were playing yesterday long before Diedhiou nicked the goal.

8 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

I have to say that although I wouldn’t want to get carried away as it was hardly Guardiola’s Barcelona team, I thought yesterday was actually good. 

You wouldn’t exactly describe it was free flowing, but it’s the most I’ve enjoyed a City performance (with the exception of one half against Stoke I guess) in months.

There actually appeared to be some sort of plan and you could see how the team wanted to play. I’ve been highly critical of the standard of football all season, but compared to Birmingham who could do nothing else then knock it up to Jutkiewicz, I thought we tried to play some really good football.

Obviously we still barely created many chances and had to rely on set pieces for our goal and the only other shot on target, but I thought that was down to a lack of quality in the final third, rather than what at times this season has just been a complete lack of any sort of plan or idea.

I know other people will moan, certainly in homes games, about ‘only having one up front’, but I’m quietly positive about Johnson finally moving to a formation with  an extra man in midfield. I thought that change enabled Pack to have his best game for a long time. Still a fair way from his best from last season, but showed some real positive signs at times controlled the game. Obviously it helps he plays much deeper than others and it is his game to get on the ball, but I looked at the stats this morning and he completed 57 passes compared to the other three central midfielders on the pitch (Brownhill, Gardner and Kieftenbeld) who made 17, 22 and 15 respectively.

There’s still a long way to go before you could say we’re really playing good football, and our home form has been dire, but in my opinion it was the first performance in months, again with the exception of 45 minutes against Stoke, that had anything to be positive about. And that isn’t just because we nicked a win from a set piece as we’ve won games in that time where the performance has left me cold, and I was happy with how we were playing yesterday long before Diedhiou nicked the goal.

Interesting Bearded

I thought Pack has his best 45 mins second half for months against Millwall , a surge of confidence almost

And I thought that was pivotal for a short spell in the second half when we played two touch football , with angles and played through Millwall repeatedly for 10-15 mins 

Thanks for another excellent report, I'd forgotten about last seasons spittiing kangaroo court.............so how appropriate for FD to bag the winner.  Interesting 8 for O'Dowda's sub appearance, we really do need to sort out his contract if possible?  Good to hear LJ actually give an honest and coherent match summation, in his video, for a change.  No more "found our identity” and ”busy little bee”  bulls✶✶t would be great, please Lee?

4 hours ago, maxjak said:

Thanks for another excellent report, I'd forgotten about last seasons spittiing kangaroo court.............so how appropriate for FD to bag the winner.  Interesting 8 for O'Dowda's sub appearance, we really do need to sort out his contract if possible?  Good to hear LJ actually give an honest and coherent match summation, in his video, for a change.  No more "found our identity” and ”busy little bee”  bulls✶✶t would be great, please Lee?

COD injected some energy, closing down & made things happen

Agree LJ much improved interview post match, only one “you know what i mean”.

4 hours ago, maxjak said:

LJ asked Famara pre match what would be the best way to get your own back after the spitting allegations and Fammmy simply said “score”....

What do you find so difficult about LJs post match interviews?  I think he's excellent, much better than previous managers we’ve had at City.

Great report and summary Ole - it's always good to hear what you have to say as, from what few matches I get to see, you're on the nail every time and help give a decent idea of what truly happened when all we hear otherwise usually comes with a bias of one sort or another.

5 hours ago, bearded_red said:

⬇️

5 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Interesting Bearded

I thought Pack has his best 45 mins second half for months against Millwall , a surge of confidence almost

And I thought that was pivotal for a short spell in the second half when we played two touch football , with angles and played through Millwall repeatedly for 10-15 mins 

I was quite critical of Pack at half-time in the match day thread, although more critical of the tactic per se.  Pack played as the QB in a 4141 v Man City....that was him staying intentionally deep to snuff out the likes of Silva.  The impressive thing that night was that the team played as if they were tied together.  If the back 4 went deep, so did Pack, so did our Midfield 4 and so did Reid...keeping short distances between each other, so that they could nullify MC, but also play shirt passes to get us up the pitch, rather than launch it > lose it > retreat football.

Yesterday, we cut the ties.  I can accept Diedhiou being the most advanced, but too often Weimann and Eliasson we as advanced too.  There was one instant in the first half where either JP or JB broke throughthe centre circle, and Eliasson (who’d switched with AW by this point) never gave a good angle for the pass.  We eventually lost the ball.  Cue the cameraman sviveling to a angry LJ berating NE.

When Pato came short (more than Josh), we recycled the ball and moved it around quicker, but ultimately the angles and distances for Kalas and Webster to find white shirts was all wrong.  In these scenarios I feel Pack needs to not just sit and cover the advancing CB, but give something better than a square / slightly backwards angle, as we just lose momentum.  I appreciate he can’t bomb on, but he can join back into the play without leaving us exposed.

All in all, much better from Pack, but I still want more....it’s a kinda “coasting” performance, although I appreciate he worked hard without the ball.

I’ve likened him to Rennie in the past, certainly as the screen in front of the back four, but Brownhill needs to play more closely like Shelton did as his partner.  That will create more space for Pato too.

32 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ asked Famara pre match what would be the best way to get your own back after the spitting allegations and Fammmy simply said “score”....

What do you find so difficult about LJs post match interviews?  I think he's excellent, much better than previous managers we’ve had at City.

Yeah, no complaints with LJ’s interview in general, a bit gushing in one respect but mindful that we weren’t great in their half / final third.

Great result that, not one I saw coming either!

Yes was interesting in that we controlled the ball particularly first half yet stood firm under pressure. Arguably rode our luck a bit but I'd have taken a point yesterday never mind 3!

Birmingham as a rule- tend to play on the break under Monk, even at home. Had they scored first, couldn't have seen us getting anything tbh but yeah very welcome result and a heartening performance too. Must have been particularly sweet for Diedhiou given the nonsense ban at the start of the season!

Agree with BobBob that Pack return to (almost) best came in 2nd half v Millwall. 

I dont always agree with BobBob but fi d maxjax a joke to criticise Ljs interviews. Have you listened to any other manager you can name as giving fairer interviews. I bet the silence will be a clear answer, you must be one of the tiny minority who just don't want our manager to do well for our club?

Biily, don't be a hero! What a shocking interpretation of a hard-fought Championship footie. Do you read forums, or speak to fans of Cardiff, Burnley, Huddersfield, Newcastle and many more Higher club? They find this season a horrible standard except when they get stuffed 4-0 or 5-0 so you may need a dose of perspective. 

How did you rate our defeat at WBA if you were there? I'd be interested 

Thanks Ole. As per usual working an away weekend. From what I saw from the highlights on Quest, we worked hard for this result and Diedhiou looked like he had had his revenge against Brum.

The only question I have is whether against Norwich we should start with O'Dowda in midfield with Brownhill, with Pack sat behind in front of the back four? I can't fathom how he can play so well in internationals but we can't work out how to fit him into the side. It also might help Weimann with more forward through balls than we usually manage. And given the choice between Pato & C'OD, I would much rather have the latter 9 times out of 10. Paterson is an LJ favourite but he rarely does anything great, plus I guarantee that at least once per game he will give the ball away in a dangerous position.

Archived