IGNORED

Boring football to watch

Between heaven and hell

When on his game, Pack is our best passer of the ball.

I think the main problem this season is Smith being injured. When Smith plays, he's the one usually collecting the ball from the back, which allows Pack to move further forward and make more incisive passes.

36 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

If you take the second highlighted line then read the first there has to be an option, IF they move. That is a point of dropping in and splitting it creates width and depth for players to move into to become options.

Its a bit uneven to call the team Wee Lee's because obviously they are not. Splitting also in theory creates space for the wide players Lee Johnson favours who are not Wee Lees  Full back pushed up and CB's pushing on are not Wee Lees. This is not a defence of Lee Johnson as the movement of the team should be trained in. The players should be coached to find their own spaces, use patterns of play because that is why the team takes up the positional structures it does. 

The subject in the my opening sentence was 'midfielder' , those that link defence with attack. Presently they, without exception, are WeeLees.

I've no problem with Webster breaking forward now and again but being old school I like the tried and trusted system of having defenders who stop the other side scoring, attackers who score and the triumvirate of link men inbetweeners (ball winner, space filler, creative.)

Quality defenders who can push up are rocking-horse and we haven't any so let's not bother trying (as an aside not surprised to see Bryan getting roasted again in his comeback game.)

If, seriously, the players are taking up the positions they do as that's what they've been coached to do that's the best argument ever for ditching our management with immediate effect. Long passages of play Saturday (again) where, for us, the centre circle was a DMZ. Paterson, Brownhill et al looking to drop back to get involved? In your dreams. Hadn't noticed but perhaps we've Kilkenny or Shelton in the coaching squad as we've a team of top drawer pointers, " give it to him, not me,  I don't want it...."  Great players who run the game don't point, they let their movement and the ball do the talking. We've sheep in sheep's clothing.

16 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Boring? Really? Try watching 90mins of many other teams in our division then try to explain why we are boring. 

Did you see our away wins this season, our home wins and even our defeat at WBA? Boring, really? 

Wow all 3 three home wins out of 10 games. Only one was a decent win Sheff U. 

Why would we want to watch 90 minutes of other teams, we pay a lot of money to watch Bristol City Football Club and the offering is turd. 

Boring is absolutely the way to describe our play. 

29 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

The subject in the my opening sentence was 'midfielder' , those that link defence with attack. Presently they, without exception, are WeeLees.

I've no problem with Webster breaking forward now and again but being old school I like the tried and trusted system of having defenders who stop the other side scoring, attackers who score and the triumvirate of link men inbetweeners (ball winner, space filler, creative.)

Quality defenders who can push up are rocking-horse and we haven't any so let's not bother trying (as an aside not surprised to see Bryan getting roasted again in his comeback game.)

If, seriously, the players are taking up the positions they do as that's what they've been coached to do that's the best argument ever for ditching our management with immediate effect. Long passages of play Saturday (again) where, for us, the centre circle was a DMZ. Paterson, Brownhill et al looking to drop back to get involved? In your dreams. Hadn't noticed but perhaps we've Kilkenny or Shelton in the coaching squad as we've a team of top drawer pointers, " give it to him, not me,  I don't want it...."  Great players who run the game don't point, they let their movement and the ball do the talking. We've sheep in sheep's clothing.

And this is not old school. Teams do not play 4-4-2 each week. Defence and attack are no longer so clearly defined. Its a bit myopic to look at defenders as being solely defenders when so many teams do not, and systems of play demand players go beyond it defends and nothing else. Modern full backs play the full length or two thirds because teams do not all play 4-4-2/same shapes, so full backs and centre backs can utilise space the game now leaves them. Bristol City for a time last season demonstrated exciting football of that nature

I would be more concerned by players taking up positions consistently that they have not been prepared for. What you witness could be the players not being prepared enough. Movement is trained in and that includes great teams, or average and boring at this point (I agree) like Bristol City

On 09/12/2018 at 11:48, Between heaven and hell said:

Please can someone explain why our centre midfield player has to be the deepest player in possession.of the ball. I realise it's all part of the plan with the centre halves splitting wide which pushes the full backs slightly more forward but Jesus Christ i find it tedious and boring.

More often than not the ball will be passed from side to side  for both centre halves to have their obligatory touch and then every now and again back to the keeper as there is never a forward pass on as our centre midfielder has the ball and is playing like a quarterback.

I have been so impressed with Adam Webster as a footballing centre half since he joined us, surely he is more than capable of playing the ball out which will leave Marlon in the midfield area and gives us another option with a forward pass to then link up with the wide men.

If Lee Johnson wants to start getting fans back on his side then this boring style of play has to stop, especially at home when we should be ripping into the opposition.

Yes people will say it worked yesterday and it did as I witnessed , but dear god it is hard to watch and won't encourage people to come and watch.

maybe get yourself a playstation 

20 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Wow all 3 three home wins out of 10 games. Only one was a decent win Sheff U. 

Why would we want to watch 90 minutes of other teams, we pay a lot of money to watch Bristol City Football Club and the offering is turd. 

Boring is absolutely the way to describe our play. 

Yeah Blackburn at home was shit eh- only 4-1 vs a decent side having conceded first... Only 4-1? Pah! 6-1 or 6-0 it should have been!

As to your other point I see where you're going with it but at the same time 2 sides on the pitch, not always so simple- having said that his tactics and selections are not the best IMO. Hit woodwork 6 times at home already- side netting twice v Millwall, we've had a few near misses haven't we.

Having said this in terms of actual domination of both the ball and the shots 2nd half v Stoke was good, 2nd half v Hull also fairly sure we stepped it up. Vs Millwall and Boro yes in terms of ball, no in terms of shots. V Blackburn yes in terms of shots but not possession.

Archived